Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REVEAL: Reberrus 2: The Score.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

In joint eighth is
    Rikand (Wiley) and Kolido (Pretenders)
    Wiley Wearing My Rolex

Have I heard of the artist? Yes
    Have I heard this song before? No

I don't see much consistent fusion or common bond. I suppose the main musical trope reflects their urgency a little. There's barking in the official video, was that the thinking? But there's also sirens wailing and horns honking. Is the wolf wearing a top of the range, expensive wristwatch? Disregarding the spookiness, suspense and gruesome carnage, ignoring the wolf context and concluding before the film snippet, all equates to a choice that doesn't meet the requirements in my view. We're on a different wavelength here.

Suitability: 0/5

Interesting official video. Like a lot of rap the highlight is the female input and the rapper seems secondary, talentless and obsessed with material wealth. She's wearing your Rolex?  Quick get to the studio to lay it down before the muse deserts you Wiley! Any relation to Jo? *Googles* No.

Jumpy bassy dance beat and the female refrain make it a lively, if very short-lived and utterly insubstantial listen. I don't think it's going to induce tears, or be played at funerals or weddings as the bride's walking up the aisle. Dizzee Rascal-esque throwaway. Just decent.

Song: 7/10
    Overall: 7

The Pretenders I'll Stand By You

Have I heard this song before? Yes

There's a neat match when she sings "when the night falls, you don't know what to do" while the characters are wondering where to go, what's going on. Other than that though, it's a wild contrast, prime example being "I'll stand by you" ringing when he's legging it as his friend gets chewed to pieces by a wolfman. Then a shot of his ravaged corpse with the line "won't let nobody hurt you" actually made me chuckle. I'm not feeling it.

In the verse, before the chorus, there's a small section akin to Abba's The Winner Takes It All "No self-confidence..". I'm not the biggest fan of Chrissie Hynde's wan warbling; it's restricted, like she's got something stuck up her nose while recording. She has a similar timbre to Sophie Ellis Bextor. Also she's got issues if she thinks that her fringe is acceptable. Although it's not horrid, alas, perhaps because I can't relate to the lyrics, being as I am

A: a friendless misanthrope
    B: extremely traitorous and disloyal

But I adjudge this to be cheesy, hobbling slush lacking potency and it doesn't impact me in any substantial way. Even Sir Elton John would reach for the vomit bag.

In seventh place is
    the purple tin

Tiny Tim Living in the Sunlight, Loving in the Moonlight

Have I heard of the artist? No

Imaginative and intentionally made me laugh out loud. The stop-start switches actually align accurately at points with the jogging and stopping e.g. 1:59, 2:38, and @2:48 as the shot of the dead body appears- the trombone/drum thing and the xylophone thingy making opportune appearances to add to the comedy value. Genuinely and unexpectedly funny. Left field and risky but a brave change up that works to an extent.

Suitability: 3/5

Features what may be a banjo and Dame Edna having her testicles clenched. Like something Trey Parker would write for an episode of South Park or Cannibal! The Musical. Skilled musicianship but comedic pieces are not to my tastes generally speaking. I just can't  take it seriously and Walrus is a deadly serious business my friend.

Song: 3/10
    Overall: 9

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Reberetta wrote: »

The Pretenders I'll Stand By YouThere's a neat match when she sings "when the night falls, you don't know what to do" while the characters are wondering where to go, what's going on. Other than that though, it's a wild contrast, prime example being "I'll stand by you" ringing when he's legging it as his friend gets chewed to pieces by a wolfman. Then a shot of his ravaged corpse with the line "won't let nobody hurt you" actually made me chuckle. I'm not feeling it.

In the verse, before the chorus, there's a small section akin to Abba's The Winner Takes It All "No self-confidence..". I'm not the biggest fan of Chrissie Hynde's wan warbling; it's restricted, like she's got something stuck up her nose while recording. She has a similar timbre to Sophie Ellis Bextor. Also she's got issues if she thinks that her fringe is acceptable. Although it's not horrid, alas, perhaps because I can't relate to the lyrics, being as I am

A: a friendless misanthrope
    B: extremely traitorous and disloyal

But I adjudge this to be cheesy, hobbling slush lacking potency and it doesn't impact me in any substantial way. Even Sir Elton John would reach for the vomit bag.

Yeah I went opposite on the suitability here, thought you might have given out points for that :D

In sixth place is
    beakerjoe

Stevie Nicks Edge Of Seventeen

Lyrics are unrelated as far I can tell, "first moment I set eyes on him" is nevertheless opportune, then it picks up the pace as they begin to jog. Haunting vocals sort of chime with the foggy moor. Palm-muted and flanger effect(?) on guitar reflects their anxiety and the impending menace. When the bear attacks it's extremely incongruous and generally it misses the target.

Suitability: 1/5

Solo material is similar to her former band, at least to me. A lot of activity and layers. Attractive timbre, snarly, but I'm not in love with her voice or anything. Chorus isn't the most captivating but it's springy and catchy and drummed into your head like a tongue twister. I think there's two bridges and neither seem necessary. Overdubbed like a Russian doll, doubled like a cloning factory, her larynx must have hurt after recording was finally finished, or are different singers on back-up? I'm not sure. Drags a little but it's a memorable melody and very unique. Grew on me.

Song: 8/10
    Overall: 10

In fifth place is
    Necro

NWO Wolfpack Theme

Have I heard of the artist? Don't know.

Rap wouldn't have been the genre I was expecting, but this goes grand, the string section (actually keyboards I venture) adds a haunting element to settle with the mist, the lyrics are highly apropos, the piano keeps in time with the jogging of the characters, overall there's a reflective hint of a hostile threat to the music. Close to the exact length of the scene, but it pulls up a little short. Credit for the effort.

Suitability: 2/5

The lead keyboard reminds me of Tupac & Dre's California Love. There's a froggy sound effect. Passable, rap refrain that doesn't really go anywhere, lacking in enthusiasm and emotion, it makes me question the sincerity of the artist. Will I really end up in a body bag? I don't think so - a headlock maybe, then Kevin Nash will suffer a quad injury and I'll pin him for the three. Ok.

Overall: 11

• Advertisement

In fourth place is
    Ectoplasm

Fleet Foxes  White Winter Hymnal

Have I heard of the artist?  Yes
    Start the song when the movie clip reaches 40 seconds.

"Turned round" as they turn around.  "Red around their throats" are apposite lyrics also. The paces ups as the actors jog. In general accompanies the footage of a misty moor fittingly. Too tranquil and sugary, lacking intensity and sorrow, not melding with the fear and viciousness, but although it might not be a match made in heaven, the shared lyrical theme means it ain't half bad.

One of the clay figures in the official video resembles John Lennon. There's a choral element, key changes progressively higher and then a sudden drop, instruments aren't invasive, the oral melody is the upfront focus in the mix. Uplifting harmonious hymn with poetic, interesting ambiguous lyrics. Lovely outro. Short but sweet.

Song: 7.5/10
    Overall: 11.5

In joint third place is
    ASLB (Vulovi) and ShaneU (Silent Poets

Vulovi Run/Hide

Have I heard of the artist?  No

Intro works great until @1:20, then it morphs into pop. Generally racing a trifle ahead of the characters' actions, hastier than required, but fittingly urgent and unsettling. Around 1:33 there's a drumbeat introduced which actually echoes footsteps on a sandy/crunchy frozen surface. The most unifying element is the repetitive lyrics of "run, hide". There's a little girly voice cutting in after the attack, which is kinda silly, but she says "Is he looking" as he looks across and "now that you know" as he discovers the shape-shifting secret. There's apt sways in tone combining with on-screen shots of significance like when he falls down and then when he sees the corpse. Not enough of a shadowy scent to the music, too radio friendly for the rage and darkness in the movie, but good.

Common, rudimentary metal riff to begin, like something Korn could come up with in their sleep. Reminiscent of Pink on her heavier explorations. A lot of zeal, but lyrically tame, sugar-coated, generic pabulum, pseudo-rebellious, watered down rock, polished by a producer who may have worked overtime. Instantly forgettable and average.

Song: 6.5/10
    Overall: 12.5

Silent Poets feat. Leila Adu Asylums For The Feeling

Encapsulates the desolate nature of the foggy moors, shifts when the wolf attack commences. I like the contrast of the tenacious terror and soothing, soft music that implies a momentous tragedy. Crooning is consonant with the running away, returning and horrid depiction of the aftermath. No stand-out symmetry but atmospheric and apt.

Starts suddenly, almost without introduction. Diva's voice resembles Dido. Disappointingly, Eminem doesn't show up to rap about the gruesome killing of someone's girlfriend; where is he when you really need him? Not the first time he's let me down.

I'm reminded of Bjork's All is Full of Love at 1:43. It says something when "dah dah dah dah dah" counts as an injection of verve. Finally comes to life around 2:30. A talented vocalist. String section for insomniacs. The epitome of ineffectual. This is really strung out to an ill-advised length. It just concludes like they've collectively decided they have better things to do - like go read Seamus Heaney. I think there's some filler and cuts needed; there's a good tune hidden in its indulgent drifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In joint third place is
    ASLB (Vulovi) and ShaneU (Silent Poets

Vulovi Run/Hide

Have I heard of the artist?  No

Intro works great until @1:20, then it morphs into pop. Generally racing a trifle ahead of the characters' actions, hastier than required, but fittingly urgent and unsettling. Around 1:33 there's a drumbeat introduced which actually echoes footsteps on a sandy/crunchy frozen surface. The most unifying element is the repetitive lyrics of "run, hide". There's a little girly voice cutting in after the attack, which is kinda silly, but she says "Is he looking" as he looks across and "now that you know" as he discovers the shape-shifting secret. There's apt sways in tone combining with on-screen shots of significance like when he falls down and then when he sees the corpse. Not enough of a shadowy scent to the music, too radio friendly for the rage and darkness in the movie, but good.

Common, rudimentary metal riff to begin, like something Korn could come up with in their sleep. Reminiscent of Pink on her heavier explorations. A lot of zeal, but lyrically tame, sugar-coated, generic pabulum, pseudo-rebellious, watered down rock, polished by a producer who may have worked overtime. Instantly forgettable and average.

Was fully expecting last place for this one, and the review is far less scathing than I had anticipated too, so I'm calling this one a win... :D

Down to the final three

Irish Aris
    RasTa
    Sawduck

First, second and last to be revealed.

In second place is
    Sawduck

First Aid Kit Wolf

Extremely compatible lyrics. Strikes an eerie chord, spirited and ghostly, not too brash but wispy like the fog. Tempo ups as they jog. Mentions "run" as the posse are doing just that, and "Shapeshifter" close to self-same. Dramatic, otherworldly mood that meshes with the setting. A felicitous alloy. Good job.

Suitability: 3.5/5

Swedish group who until recently had the same manager as Marilyn Manson - that's an eclectic clientele! I like the artistic official video. Acoustic plucking brings to mind Red Hot Chilli Pepper's Road Trippin. Shaky singing occasionally from the lead, like she's testing her limits. She has the twang of a country singer and I'm not the biggest fan of her voice. I really like the chorus but she's straining and fading in and out; it's not delivered powerfully enough. Wishy-washy, mellow folksy, pagan-like paean that doesn't excite or strum my heartstrings, but it's dulcet and quite good.

Overall: 14.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

giphy.gif

In LAST PLACE is
    How the mighty have fallen- RasTa

Rod Stewart Gasoline Alley

Mismatch of a merging, I don't see any chemistry. It's not dark, not gothic. It's an old, scratchy voice singing nostalgically about childhood roots or something. No sense of hazardous horror, it's ambling and totally calm. No key changes or mirroring emotions. There's a nod to 'running' but I see no other reflection of on-screen happenings. Sorry submitter, I'm baffled by this pick.

I'm perplexed by Rod Stewart's success. Gravelly voice,  hair of an old bag, a nose that once went on tour with Pinocchio as back-up. His voice follows the chord roots and there's lots of self-indulgent noodling and doubling I think, although this recording has a live vibe about it. This isn't the worst thing he's ever done (that's 'being born') - half-country, half-blues and I'm half-asleep...zzzzzz.

Please somebody take him back to Gasoline Alley and light a match. What's that I hear you ask? Am I advocating an arson attack on Rod Stewart? Why yes, yes I am.

Song: 5/10
    Overall: 5

Which means the WINNER is
    The Greek God Irish Aris

Bauhaus In The Flat Field

Emanates a gloom, mirrors the nightmarish scenario, bass blends with suspenseful action. The groove, lyrics and tempo are generally off in another direction, but he screams while they begin to jog, there's some sync @2:16 as he falls and @2:52 as the attack gets underway it's accompanied by a manic, befitting switch. This is the type of track I was hoping to receive in this round.

A band who are on my bucket list, I've heard their song Bela Lugosi's Dead before and I found it boring; now it's time for a rethink. Intro reminds me of another rock song - I can't think what. Immediately I hear parallels with Joy Division; same tonality of bass, swirl of fiery crashing guitars, panic-stricken drums, thick despairing voice (deepness reminiscent of Marilyn Manson), lyrics seem to be profound and poetic, but could also be absolute drivel on closer scrutiny, all delivered with suicidal zest.

I'm interested in the trickling guitar effect during the verse; not sure how it's achieved, perhaps by playing the top of the guitar? Whatever, it's a cool touch. Torturous in a good way. Ends with a drone of what may be somebody in their death throes or an evil mummy. I will one day explore Bauhaus' oeuvre, the godfathers of goth I am told. All in all strange, insane and enticing and they're not flat in their field (hehe). This got better and better with each listen. Fab.

Song: 9.5/10
    Overall: 15.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Happy with second especially with First Aid Kit, they are a great underrated duo who I have only recently discovered

Can ShaneU be hauled back in? Don't forget

Bonus points on offer:

1. One bonus point for the best song, that I had not heard before, across all six categories.
    2. Two bonus points for the highest scorer in the suitability category when all six categories suitability scores are tallied up.

(I will give the total suitability scores of all players at the end.)

Standings, click titles to sort, check your own scores and inform me of mistakes.

Next is the grand finale at around 5pm tomorrow! Be there or be watching football on Sky square! Grazie all.

Player R.1 R.2 R.3 R.4 R.5 R.6 Total
    Sawduck 9 15.5 11 13.5 14.5 0 63.5
    Rikand 12.5 5 12 14 7 0 50.5
    ShaneU 16.5 16.5 18 16 12.5 0 79.5
    Necro 12 17.5 17 15 11 0 72.5
    RasTa 8 12.5 11.5 19 5 0 56
    Ectoplasm 8 18 9 17.5 11.5 0 64
    the purple tin 10 12 7 15.5 9 0 53.5
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 12 17 14.5 18 12.5 0 74
    Irish Aris 16 7.5 13.5 15 15.5 0 67.5
    Kolido 13 9 16.5 11 7 0 56.5
    beakerjoe 13 3 8 13.5 10 0 47.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I am enjoying immensely the forthright but poetic dismantling of submissions, I am also glad not to be on the receiving end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Silent Poets feat. Leila Adu Asylums For The Feeling

Encapsulates the desolate nature of the foggy moors, shifts when the wolf attack commences. I like the contrast of the tenacious terror and soothing, soft music that implies a momentous tragedy. Crooning is consonant with the running away, returning and horrid depiction of the aftermath. No stand-out symmetry but atmospheric and apt.

Starts suddenly, almost without introduction. Diva's voice resembles Dido. Disappointingly, Eminem doesn't show up to rap about the gruesome killing of someone's girlfriend; where is he when you really need him? Not the first time he's let me down.

I'm reminded of Bjork's All is Full of Love at 1:43. It says something when "dah dah dah dah dah" counts as an injection of verve. Finally comes to life around 2:30. A talented vocalist. String section for insomniacs. The epitome of ineffectual. This is really strung out to an ill-advised length. It just concludes like they've collectively decided they have better things to do - like go read Seamus Heaney. I think there's some filler and cuts needed; there's a good tune hidden in its indulgent drifting.

This is the version I used. No lyrics for first 50 seconds. It's 7 minutes long, even more filler :D There's actually some good symmetry because the guitar starts just as the wolf attacks. Da da da bit starts at the dead body.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I think I was the only person who puck a song from the werewolf's POV.

He would be over the moon :pac: to see these two twerps come bumbling into his hunting grounds.

Sorry ShaneU, you didn't provide a link and I used the first thing that came up.

The grand finale coming up..

6. Agnes, It's Me Billy

Listened to blind again, I'm just off now to add the the scores, back soon.

Apologies for delay, here we go, schedule of reveal same as always...

In tenth place is
    Irish Aris

Faith No More Be Aggressive

Beginning in concord before she opens the door, but doesn't incorporate the sweetness of the choir in any form (EDIT: I only realised after reading the PM last minute that the voices in the chorus are children according to submitter-obviously fooled me and didn't convince!). Too brash, jumpy and nimble. From 1:35-2:00 it's seamless. The peak here is the music while his shadow is reflecting on her sleeping body. The solo during the killing itself doesn't really gel. Mike Patton's half-rap waffling isn't in league with the creeping aura of impending doom and all considered it's an awkward combination. 

Suitability: 1/5

Opening is foreboding, akin to a score for a shot of Dracula's castle. Makes me think of that Backstreet Boys horror video. The choristers here should have re-recorded their half-assed vocal take or edged in closer to the mikes at least; they're buried too low in the mix. Marilyn Manson clearly ripped off the chorus for (M)obscene; well he was shrewd to steal the only good part and improve on it.

Animated and layers everywhere; I feel like I'm being bombarded with eggs and asked to submit and like this gibberish. Faith No More in general tend to overdo things; I prefer it when they take the straightforward, uncomplicated route. I'm appalled by the production. There's an ineffectual keyboard/organ thrown in for no purpose that I can barely hear, awful cliched solo with a squeaky, irksome tone, feebly supported by only the bass, instead of other guitars, which only serves to spotlight how abysmal the solo is. A lot happening; alas, most of it is dire.

Song: 3.5/10
    Overall: 5.5

• Advertisement

In ninth place is
    Kolido

Shakin Stevens Merry Christmas Everybody

Have I heard of the artist? Yes

The beginning blends well with the choir and children and the Christmas snowy setting but needless to say, Shakin Stevens doesn't launch into a death metal growl as it becomes shady and terrifying, which if it isn't necessarily a requirement, would certainly help. There's a vague semblance of kinship while the murder occurs @2:15 but it's ridiculously joyous. I would hesitate to call the submitter lazy, but I'd have to question the amount of deep pondering that went into this selection. If the intention was to be humorous, it failed miserably. Unimaginative.

In the official video, Santa resembles a wolfman and the kids don't seem that pleased; perhaps not surprising as their toys are cheap knockoffs. Cheery staple of the holiday, what more can be said? Dulcet, feel-good fun.

Song:  7/10

In eighth place is
    the purple tin

Faith No More Surprise! You're Dead!

Too hasty, rash and loud to start off; in truth atrocious, but then there's superb synchronicity from 1:33 to the finish, particularly when he's reaching for the glass statue as the guitars pick up speed and the insane screaming/laughing during the murder is in keeping both with the killer's mindset and the woman's pain. It pulls up a little short with an unusual chilled-out outro as an afterthought which kind of works as an absurd contrast but also detracts and leaves us hanging. Obviously the lyrics are very germane. Not bad.

Generic, overused and old hat metal chords with Mike Patton mindlessly rapping/singing vacuous nonsense over the top. Neither verse nor chorus has oral melodiousness. Again I don't like the production; drums are an anaemic pitter patter that should be louder in the mix if you ask me. Dime a dozen racket from a pretentious arty-farty, talented group who have dropped some real clangers. I actually rate Faith No More -Last Cup Of Sorrow, We Care A Lot & Epic are classics so.. Surprise! This is pants.

Song: 3.5/10
    Overall: 7.5

In seventh place is
    RasTa

Fleetwood Mac Albatross

All very low-key to recapture the homely Christmas feeling, empty hall and slumber, yet the subtle drumbeat hints at some menace and buried rage ready to surface. Too laidback, no spark as the moment of death arrives; no variance in mood to couple with the rising tension. A tad drowsy for footage of this magnitude. The music has an underlying feelgood factor; I think of a sandy beach when I hear it, not a dark, horrible evil. Having said that, it simultaneously has a tincture of sorrow to its strains which merges with what's ultimately a sad event.

Unstimulating and, much like the guitar effect; wimpy and watery. I think I associate this with an advertisement for some product whose name escapes me - second-hand toilet roll? Talented band but this hangs like a shameful Albatross (hehe) around their legacy. Lifeless and limp lump of birdpoo. I joke, it's not that bad! Overrated for my money, does nothing for me.

Song: 5.5/10
    Overall: 9.5

In sixth place is
    Who do you think? :D

Santino Marella Theme Song

Have I heard of the artist? Don't know

The idea of having the soprano/tenor, whatever he is, may have been as surrogate for the children's choir, but it doesn't mesh. It's bad until about 1:38 -thereafter it's an awesome combo! There's a long prolonged vocal note as he's holding up the knife, then a pronounced stop-start metal riff to mingle with the stabbing and a fadeaway as the statuettes tumble. Best depiction of the murder in the whole round and where it earned the points. Sadly the opening half is bombastic and totally off-kilter, dragging it down.

Too many cymbal crashes/hi-hats hissing, mailed-in basic rock riff, dreadful solo in the outro. Grandiose maniacal hollering like one of the three tenors on acid. It's as though the band are playing a composition for a wildly different vocal take. Operatic onanism.

But here's the thing: I gave this a 0.5 and had it down as one of the worst songs of all-time originally, but the singer is a colossus whose persistence won me over. If I listened for another week or two I might be giving it a ten and bellowing it from the rooftops -not a theory I'm prepared to test so thank God there's no time left, unfortunately for the submitter.

Overall: 11

In fifth place is
    Sawduck

Gary Jules Mad World

One paced but a prettily concocted compound. String section cuts in as the door of her bedroom opens, like a creak. Sings of "dying" while she's doing just that, nice segue into the chorus as she's knocking down the swan statuettes; maudlin track that emphasises the sadness. The piano makes me think of Winter, apt. Words could be from the killer's perspective and transform him into a tragic figure or vice versa. Timely pause/sync circa 2:10. Flaws are it's a one-trick pony, doesn't play with the carnage, perhaps not the right degree of aggression when called for; too flowery and a trifle dull. Similar to Fleetwood Mac, but this gets an extra half-point mainly for the apposite lyrics.

Suitability: 2.5/5

Popular with DJs, I didn't enjoy hearing this on the radio relentlessly back in the day, but with therapy, I have overcome my phobia. I prefer the slightly more dynamic original from Tears For Fears. A humdrum hymn that I no longer hate, but I am lulled into a stupor by its pallid peddling of pathos. Touching to an extent - but ultimately, alas, a sappy snoozefest in my view.

Overall: 11.5

In fourth place is
    ShaneU

The Beatles Happiness is a Warm Gun

"Not a girl who misses much" followed by a girl looking out the window, though the words generally aren't in accord, and the intro is underwhelming. There's a notable timely shift of pace @0:46 as the camera moves upstairs, however the goofy, wonky pronounced notes evoke a feeling of staggering and makes me think the killer is drunk. It builds again as he gets closer to the door and target, all linking up naturally esp @ 1:36. Mention of "fingers" when the killer's are on-screen. The backing vocals sort of serve as the children's choir. There's a certain poetic beauty to the murder @2:17 and it's the perfect length. Perhaps not as sunless a song as necessary - there's no haunting or haunted aspect- it's ultimately too sugary and jolly; I believe it's about sex. Talk of a gun when you all you need is a knife- isn't it ironic? The most interesting, curious choice and contrast of the round.

Suitability: 3.5/5

From the overrated, bloated and, I suppose, culturally significant and influential White Album, I guess I should bow down to its brilliance, but this is merely bang average fare. Sedated and mostly snail-paced, the lyrics are twaddle and Lennon's vocals are corny as hell. Mundane oldie that would have been a throwaway if it wasn't recorded for a double album by one of the greatest bands ever.

Song: 5.5/10

In third place is
    Rikand

Ben Bohmer feat. Romain Garcia Cappadocia

Creaky audio as she opens the door at 0:20. Intro is fine, if a trifle too dance-oriented with the pounding. In cahoots with the progression, atmospheric background noises subtly paint the escalation of the footage, outstanding from 1:34 til the end, as he enters her room with an abrupt stall and an anticipatory crescendo of a lone instrument. A drumbeat is a welcome addition as he holds up the knife, reminiscent of a heart beating, perhaps his own with a serial killer's excitement. The finale itself could do with an injection of something, it sort of jogs over the line, but overall a canny and champion choice.

Suitability: 5/5

This bloke appeared in my last Walrus. For the official video he has carted his gear to the top of a mountain and launched some hot air balloons, so he's clearly dedicated to the ancient complicated craft of knob fiddling.  

Suggestion: should be used for a racing video game.  Anodyne keyboard-created ambient electronic chill, buoyant beats, but it's drawn out and repetitive; it leaves me cold and the words may be a load of hot air - I googled to find out what he was saying but nothing came up. Middling for me.

Overall: 15

Down to the final three:

Also Starring Levar Burton
    beakerjoe
    Ectoplasm

First, second and last to be revealed.

In second place is
    ASLeVarB

Scala and Kolacny Bros. Our Last Fight

The only player to really shift the focus to the choir, an original change-up and done so with aplomb as it incorporates the other happenings too. Felicitous audio compatible with the door opening on her prone body, then the drumbeat is introduced around 1:49 as the sinister intentions become clear. All in all it builds almost imperceptibly and aptly to the murder and although the music doesn't match the intensity of the killing itself, it encapsulates the tragic event with its haunting, eerie aura of melancholy. Super.

Familiar with these artists as they have performed a number of Nirvana covers. Harmonious hymnal songbirds, programmed drums remindful of Smashing Pumpkins' electronic forays. Contradictory lyrics of "I hate you, I love you" are recollective of Nirvana's Lithium, yet I find them uninspired. 

Tame, tepid choral arrangement that deserves to be performed at a religious ceremony anytime - because if there's one place I will never be, it's in a church (just kidding). Masterful serenade indicative of spirituality and very soulful, lush, but also lacklustre, lukewarm and not really to my liking. But it's nice enough.

Overall: 16.5

• Advertisement

In LAST PLACE is
    beakerjoe again-I don't do it on purpose!

Yazoo Only You

"Looking out a window" is apt. Doesn't recreate the dread, creepiness and violent ensuing tragedy. Keeps a steady pace throughout with no real shift in tone to accompany the film. Altogether too light-hearted and loving, it doesn't possess the atmosphere required for what the film depicts. Lyrics diverge. A rushed entry and I'm not seeing the connection at all. Off-kilter.

The third line of every verse I hear "It's serious!". Pre-chorus shares its melody with something else. I hear a tinge of Emilia's Big Big World too. This song makes me think of other songs that I can't remember or have I heard this one before and I just forgot?

Sounds like the background to an outdated video game with dodgy graphics. It's all very flimsy, like a synth factory has gone haywire. Is there a big Kraftwerk influence here? I feel like I could have written it myself just by pressing a few buttons on a machine. Robotic, unreal, vapid and a talent-free zone that's not to my taste.

Overall: 5

Which means the WINNER is
    Ectoplasm

Moby One Of These Mornings

Have I heard of the artist?  Yes
    Start the song when the movie clip reaches 45 seconds.

Slow keyboard notes meld with the killer's lazy traipse and the deserted hallway. Drumbeat kicks in as the door opens. Around 1:50, the strings dramatise the action. The downcast nature of the music complements the pervading mood of the footage. Refrain of "I'll be gone" accordant with the passing away, the swan glass statues tumbling.

Although they ignored 45 seconds of the clip, I find it works either way, in fact I prefer to just play it from the start. I'm a big fan of this scene, and this is a beautifully tragic blend with the cinematic art, maybe the highlight of whole Walrus.

Typical Moby - toying with buttons on his keyboard like a nerd. Female crooning drowned in reverb, she sings "You will look for me..." Judging by the effects, the first place I'll be looking is down a well.

Laid-back ambience on a serious, glum topic, a talented troubadour unquestionably, I am not Moby's chief admirer. He is a vegan and there isn't much meat to his musical produce. Like a Quorn burger when you want a Big Mac, it's all very lettucey and no juice. Yet salad can be delicious sometimes and this is chilled, transcendant, tranquil goodness.

I have it on good authority that Moby wrote this about his one night stand with Natalie Portman...I jest, I jest. Good.

Overall: 17.5

Advertisement