Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REVEAL: Reberrus 2: The Score.

Options
  • 13-02-2021 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭

Grazie to all who entered not an easy task set forth, gallant attempts from all concerned. In the spirit of Reberrus, reviews will be harsher than an Alaskan Winter, but don't take it personally, because

A) I don't know anything about film-scoring.
    B) It's subjective and dependent on mood (several scores are like a yo-yo)

And besides, if you do, I will only deduct more points, being the resident Scrooge and scourge of Walrus that I am.

Sado-masochistic contenders:

Sawduck
    RasTa
    Rikand
    ShaneU
    Irish Aris
    Necro
    the purple tin
    Also Starring LeVar Burton
    Kolido
    Ectoplasm
    Suitability scored out of 5
    The song itself out of 10
    Overall out of 20.

e.g. 5/5, 7/10=17/20

Bonus points on offer

1. One bonus point for the best song, that I had not heard before, across all six categories.
    2. Two bonus points for the highest scorer in the suitability category when all six categories suitability scores are tallied up.

Categories

1. Dinner Scene
    Beetlejuice (1988)
    2. Shower Scene
    Psycho (1960)
    3. Initiation's Over
    The Lost Boys (1987)
    4. The Stairway Shootout
    The Untouchables (1987)
    5.On The Moors
    An American Werewolf In London (1981)
    6. Agnes It's Me Billy
    Black Christmas (1974)

Scheduled to kick off on Thursday 18th at 6pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

tenor.gif

Beakerjoe is a late addition.

Category one is the dinner scene. I threw this in to add variety as I didn't want everybody to realise I was that serial killer the guards have been searching for think it was all a bit disturbing. I wasn't looking for any particular type of song.

Reveal will go as so:

10th to 2nd,

then finally, last place and first place will be revealed.

6pm kick-off.

I had a final viewing and just to emphasise how futile subjective this exercise is, one competitor moved up by 4.5 points!

But who was it? Reveal coming up.

In the case of ties, player with highest suitability score takes precedence.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Intrigued to find out how my... themed entries went down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

How does the suitability score work, could you not score it out of 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

On a separate note, very cool walrus but also very difficult, some of my picks may look like trolling :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Kolido wrote: »
    On a separate note, very cool walrus but also very difficult, some of my picks may look like trolling :D

Mine too :D

There really wasn't that much difference for me to nitpick the suitability scores. It's really just a gut feeling at the end of the day.

Scoring music is different, there's more variation and so much more involved.

In tenth place is
    RasTa

Billy Davis Stanky Get Funky (Northern Soul)

Have I heard of the artist? No
    Have I heard this song before? No

The beat seems off; too bouncy and accelerated, actors look like bad dancers. All in all unbefitting, doesn't quite chime with what I'm witnessing, there's a clear contrast. The submitter's perception and mine differ I'm afraid.

Suitability: 1/5

Billy Davis is a Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame inductee, best known for his work with Hank Ballard and The Midnighters. Middling, forgettable, stereotypical funky soul disco is how I would describe this shanty. Brass section is the highlight. Bassist is earning his paypacket.

He was friends with James Brown - this is like a poor man's James Brown, paling in comparison. It's very bubbly - it evokes the image of disco balls. No wait, those aren't disco balls...just balls.

Song: 6/10
    Overall: 8

In ninth place is
    Sawduck

The Human League (Keep Feeling) Fascination

Have I heard of the artist? Yes
    Have I heard this song before? Yes

Starts off peachy, but the constant even pace doesn't quite adjust to the characters movements in the scene. Lyrics aren't really reflective. The singer emphasises the word "turned" when the parents turn around. Generally however, it feels in-apposite.

Suitability: 1/5

I don't know a lot about The Human League.I like the song Don't You Want Me. This is reminiscent of Talking Heads. Female/male vocalists taking turns is engaging, more bands should apply this strategy, although none of them are stand-out and must-hear. I'm not crazy about the tonality of the central keyboard theme (sounds like a deflating balloon) but a sparkling poppy chorus makes it a pleasant play.

Song: 7/10
    Overall: 9

In eighth place is
    the purple tin

Creedance Clearwater Revival I Put A Spell On You

The lyrics are wholly apt but the slowish tempo of the song doesn't particularly gel with the action. Perhaps it echoes best during the solo. Not entirely on the same wavelength but an acceptable level of reflection.

Suitability: 2/5

Impressive performance from the singer, best thing about it. Grungy solo ain't exactly ingenious. This is an average refrain that's dull as dishwater. Taking into account the subject matter, I really think they should have blackened the production, made it sparse and spookier in the stylings of The Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams. That may not really be CCR's style, but I prefer it that way; hear Marilyn Manson's cover for example.

Overall: 10

• Advertisement

Clearly LeVar's fave entry so far :P

In seventh place is
    LeVar Burton

AE MAK I Can Feel It In My Bones

Have I heard of the artist?  No

Parallel pace and quirkiness for a quirky scene. Comes into its own with the onset of the chorus as Otto gets to his feet. They sing "fists" when the characters are doing the thing with their hands, "forward" when the dad is lunging forward and when they're shaking their butts there's some splendid synchronicity on show too. Observant pick.

Suitability: 3/5

Kooky, sui generis chorale, as if Bjork's daughters formed a band. It makes me think of Japan. They don't look Japanese. Presumably an over-eager Octopus on percussion.

It wouldn't be conspicuous on a Jungle Book or The Lion King soundtrack, excepting alongside Sir Elton John, they would come across as amateurs unworthy of his exalted presence as although it's perky and pretty, it's also piffle, pabulum and largely pants.

Overall: 12

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Necro wrote: »
    Clearly LeVar's fave entry so far :P

Don't mention the war... :D

giphy.gif

Reberetta wrote: »
    In seventh place is
    LeVar Burton

AE MAK I Can Feel It In My Bones
    <snip>
    Have I heard of the artist?  No

Parallel pace and quirkiness for a quirky scene. Comes into its own with the onset of the chorus as Otto gets to his feet. They sing "fists" when the characters are doing the thing with their hands, "forward" when the dad is lunging forward and when they're shaking their butts there's some splendid synchronicity on show too. Observant pick.

Kooky, sui generis chorale, as if Bjork's daughters formed a band. It makes me think of Japan. They don't look Japanese. Presumably an over-eager Octopus on percussion.

It wouldn't be conspicuous on a Jungle Book or The Lion King soundtrack, excepting alongside Sir Elton John, they would come across as amateurs unworthy of his exalted presence as although it's perky and pretty, it's also piffle, pabulum and largely pants.

They're locals. Kept it Irish for that one. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I have a feeling that Suitability will score low for most of my entries although I think one of songs might do alright

In sixth place is
    Necro

The New World Order Theme Song

Have I heard of the artist? I don't know.

I wasn't seeing the applicability of this until Otto (the fat dude) stands up and then it makes sense and becomes quite nicely synced.  Still there's a part of me that expects Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash and Scott Hall to burst in and end Beetlejuice's push by having him lose to Stacey Kiebler on Thunder. In fact on rewatches it got better and better. Canny choice. 

Suitability: 4/5

This is a groovy, if not exactly a thrilling, instrumental. The guitar tone is reminiscent of Jimi Hendrix, particularly around the thirty second mark. Interlude is much ado about nothing. No frills affair.

Song: 4/10

In fifth place is
    Rikand

Jackie Wilson Reet Petite

When Otto is banging the tin thing, doing the Ric Flair strut and they're shaking their butts towards the end, it aligns. Originally I gave a low score but on the final watch something clicked and I saw the perspicacity and perspective of the submitter. Cleverly chosen.

Bizarre official video, I'm assuming it wasn't released in the fifties like the tune?

Like a mesh of Elvis and Little Richard. I'm mightily impressed by how he's able to prolong the "Reeeet" syllable; a fantastic, sonorous vocalist no doubt.

The drums are too light for my liking, the instruments in general are too quiet; I can't hear the bass..is there bass? I used to enjoy this number in my younger days but unfortunately not anymore.

Song: 6.5/10
    Overall: 12.5

In fourth place is
    Kolido

Deep Blue Something Breakfast At Tiffany's

From about 0:45 to around 1:05 this is a charming coupling. The rest of it doesn't have the same top-notch chemistry. The lyrics are on a different planet entirely and the rhythm is not echoing the movement exactly. Still, not a bad choice.

Suitability: 2/5

The disparity between Deep Blue Something's general songwriting ability and the quality of their biggest and only real hit, is vast and remarkable. I listened to it a lot back in the nineties with my twin brother; makes me nostalgic for sunny, Summer days, both of us bouncing around to this, a classic. I would have given it a ten back then, but time wears off some of the magic.

Song:  9/10
    Overall: 13

In third place is
    beakerjoe

Right Said Fred  I'm Too Sexy

A last minute roll of the dice, it's hard to tell if that's an advantage or not; scoring was like a yo-yo sometimes. Lyrics mention "do my little turn" as they do just that, and "shake my tush" later in the vicinity of just that. Has an apt groove, the dance moves meld, esp. @1:31, 1:46. 

Catchy tune. I can really relate. It's gotten to the point where I can barely leave the house due to fear of being mobbed.

Song: 7/10
    Overall: 13

Down to the final three:

Ectoplasm
    Irish Aris
    ShaneU

Places first, 2nd and last to be decided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I expect to be last.
    I didn't realise that the rhythm of the song should match the dance in the scene.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I expect to be last.
    I didn't realise that the rhythm of the song should match the dance in the scene.

Then maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. :pac:

In second place is
    Irish Aris

The Cramps Goo Goo Muck

Perfect tempo, rhythm, atmosphere. When he sings "looking for something" the dad looks under the table. Harmonious and closely hand-in-hand at around 0:34, 1:15, and again when they're shaking their behinds. Mentions "beast" just before the hand throws them down. Shrewd Jammy selection.

Suitability: 5/5

This has a sixties garage rock/surf instrumental feel. Reverb on the vocals give them a hollow feel. I've been trying to remember the name of the  guitarist from the sixties/fifties who wrote lots of instrumentals similar to this...Link Wray?

I'm half expecting him to shout Grease Lightning! in the chorus after the drumbeats. Solo is ineffective. Singer makes me think of the band Girl Trouble. Released in 1981, it would have been outdated and trite even then. Now it's a worthless relic like the copy of Deep Throat that I have stashed in my garage. Ok.

Overall: 16

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Reberetta wrote: »
    Then maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. :pac:

In second place is
    Irish Aris

The Cramps Goo Goo Muck

Perfect tempo, rhythm, atmosphere. When he sings "looking for something" the dad looks under the table. Harmonious and closely hand-in-hand at around 0:34, 1:15, and again when they're shaking their behinds. Mentions "beast" just before the hand throws them down. Shrewd Jammy selection.

This has a sixties garage rock/surf instrumental feel. Reverb on the vocals give them a hollow feel. I've been trying to remember the name of the  guitarist from the sixties/fifties who wrote lots of instrumentals similar to this...Link Wray?

I'm half expecting him to shout Grease Lightning! in the chorus after the drumbeats. Solo is ineffective. Singer makes me think of the band Girl Trouble. Released in 1981, it would have been outdated and trite even then. Now it's a worthless relic like the copy of Deep Throat that I have stashed in my garage. Ok.

Overall: 16

Spot on Reb!!
    I'm currently reading a Cramps biography and Link Wray and the 60's surf/rockabilly scene in general was apparently a big inspiration for the band.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Spot on Reb!!
    I'm currently reading a Cramps biography and Link Wray and the 60's surf/rockabilly scene in general was apparently a big inspiration for the band.

Thank you. For a moment I thought I'd finally been exposed as a clueless charlatan. :pac:

In LAST PLACE is
    Ectoplasm

Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit

Have I heard of the artist?  Yes
    When the movie clip starts, start the song at 0:21 . (21 seconds into song, 0 seconds into clip)

A stomping, rebellious glum anthem of alienation, as characters are thrust into a spellbound silly dance, this strikes me as totally malapropos, a mismatch of epic proportions. Altogether too loud, it doesn't mirror the subtlety and supernatural essence. Submitter was rushed and it shows in my opinion. Sorry, but it wouldn't be Reberrus without a zero somewhere.

Suitability: 0/5

There was a time when I would have scored this a ten but I am jaded from regular listens. Nirvana's most polished offering, they never really were able to recreate this awe-inspiring ambush of sonics in a live setting; it's a product of a producer's dabbling. There's something rather dishonest, commercial and unreal about it, no matter that it's there only one true moment of transcendent timelessness, it's them dressed up in their Sunday best for mass, mainstream consumption. It borrows from Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla and the lyrics are gibberish. Can't accuse me of being predictable!

Song: 8/10
    Overall: 8

Which means...

The WINNER is
    ShaneU

Harry Nilsson Coconut

Time stamp corresponds. Watch the blend at around 0:34, the low-pitched wail as the dad falls forward at around 1:16, and the merge of mediums at around 1:32. Flawless jibe throughout, requisite mood. Looks like they are attuned to the music. Exemplary.

Weird and wacky, I didn't envision this emergence from the man who sang Without You and Everybody's Talkin, clearly there's a side of him I do not know about. Like a Captain Beefheart or Frank Zappa composition. Is he actually playing a coconut to fit with the concept? It wouldn't surprise me. Percussionists take a bow. I like the elevated vocalisations in the final stages. Decent.

Song: 6.5/10
    Overall: 16.5

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

tenor.gif?itemid=5875491

Well played Shane, great song.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well played SHane - Somebody page Pretzill and tell her that Harry Nielsen won a Walrus!

I also loved Levar's song choice :D

Standings, still all to play for -click titles to sort. Next round will be on Sunday or Monday around 5pm. Grazie all.

Player R.1 R.2 R.3 R.4 R.5 R.6 Total
    Sawduck 9 0 0 0 0 0 9
    Rikand 12.5 0 0 0 0 0 12.5
    ShaneU 16.5 0 0 0 0 0 16.5
    Necro 12 0 0 0 0 0 12
    RasTa 8 0 0 0 0 0 8
    Ectoplasm 8 0 0 0 0 0 8
    the purple tin 10 0 0 0 0 0 10
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 12 0 0 0 0 0 12
    Irish Aris 16 0 0 0 0 0 16
    Kolido 13 0 0 0 0 0 13
    beakerjoe 13 0 0 0 0 0 13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

That's actually a great choice shane,great pick and great reveal reb.

Advertisement