Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REVEAL: Reberrus 2: The Score.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

In second place is
    Necro

The Chris Warren Band  Are You Ready?

Have I heard of the artist? Yes
    Have I heard this song before? Yes

Opening is in keeping with the imminence of something about to boil over into rage. There's no dazzling alignment, but atmospherically, the threat and hostility is there and the words are close to the theme. The laugh @1:30 is timely. It concludes just before the footage-permitted, but a cardinal sin if you want the win! Befitting bond.

Suitability: 3.5/5

A lot of people think this is a Rage Against The Machine song. It is similar to their in-your-face brand of fcuk-you rock but it doesn't include any references to Wall Street corporate greed; mainly because WWE owner Vince McMahon is a Wall Street corporate greedy bastard.

I would choose this over any RATM anthem. Captivating chorus, impassioned punky screeching.; a headbanger of the highest order. The greatest wrestling theme song ever. Oh you didn't know? Your ass better call somebody.

Song: 10/10
    Overall: 17

In LAST PLACE is
    purpletin

ELO Don't Bring Me Down

This has no redeeming consistency or commonality whatsoever. I suppose the lyrics at a stretch could apply. No element of darkness is in evidence. I can only assume the submitter is Jeff Lynne himself or an avid hater of horror films who wanted to lighten the mood. On a different wavelength, our perceptions separated by planets submitter. Head scratching choice. Chalk and cheese, sorry.

Suitability: 0/5

The "I tell you once more, before I get out the door" segment is recollective of a Beatles song, I'm not certain which one: possibly You Can't Do That. Is he singing "Don't bring me down Bruce"? Is he referring to Bruce Forsyth? If so, points deducted.

Fantastic group, legendary songwriter, whiny Barry Gibb imitator, penner of some real cheesy ass Abba-esque ding--dongers- including, but not limited to, Don't Bring Me Down. Above average.

Song: 7/10
    Overall: 7

Which means the WINNER is
    ShaneU

Metallica One

Have I heard of the artist?  Yes

Peak is the sync when Kiefer Sutherland reveals his vampire transformation; there's a sound like wind and the tempo quickens. The words are on a different topic, but they can apply with a small stretch. Propitious sync with the beat when the victim drops to the ground. "I'm waking up I cannot see" when he morphs into a creature of the night. The chorus makes an opportune entrance as it cuts to the gang tossing a victim on the fire. Glum, gutting and germane in general, it loses a little of its impact in the last 40 seconds after he falls out of the tree. It's also a predictable cheat code choice but fits all the criteria like a glove so there isn't much I can justifiably dock. Canny and champion.

Suitability: 4/5

Arguably Metallica's most famous and popular offering. Never gets old. What more can be said.

Song:  10/10
    Overall: 18

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Some comeback for Metallica :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sawduck wrote: »
    I'm curious to see which wrestlers theme you choose this time, hoping for a bit of vince mcmahon

Actually considered it for this one but felt D-X fitted better :D

One is a class song anyways, a great choice Shane

Standings, click titles to sort, check your own scores and inform me of mistakes. ShaneU building a lead. Next round will be Friday around 5pm. Grazie all.

Player R.1 R.2 R.3 R.4 R.5 R.6 Total
    Sawduck 9 15.5 11 0 0 0 35.5
    Rikand 12.5 5 12 0 0 0 29.5
    ShaneU 16.5 16.5 18 0 0 0 51
    Necro 12 17.5 17 0 0 0 46.5
    RasTa 8 12.5 11.5 0 0 0 32
    Ectoplasm 8 18 9 0 0 0 35
    the purple tin 10 12 7 0 0 0 29
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 12 17 14.5 0 0 0 43.5
    Irish Aris 16 7.5 13.5 0 0 0 37
    Kolido 13 9 16.5 0 0 0 38.5
    beakerjoe 13 3 8 0 0 0 24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I had 2 songs for this and I was sure I had picked the other, glad I didnt now, would have totally embarrassed myself.

Delighted with third and fourth overall. I still think my best has yet to feature. :)

Oh and great reveal Rebe as always :) and well played shaneU, you just keep winning things

Coming later today at 5pm.

4. The Stairway Shootout

Reveal schedule will be the same as last time - 10th to 2nd, then last place and winner.

Round 5 will be on Saturday around 5pm.
    Round 6 will be on Sunday around 5pm.

It's a Walrus weekend! Wooooooooo. :pac:

I've done all this oblivious to who submitted which song. I'm finished watching and I'm almost finished listening.

I will be tallying up the scores as we go along over the weekend. I don't know who has won yet either.

In joint ninth is
    beakerjoe and Sawduck

College & Electric Youth A Real Hero

Have I heard of the artist? No
    Have I heard this song before? No

Laidback tempo ties in with the slow-mo, lyrics are appropriate. At its most potent when repetitive keyboard lead is introduced circa 0:37. Finale is a tad anti-climactic, not reactive to the heroism and favourable outcome. No supreme examples of synchronicity, but an effortless blend of mediums.

Suitability: 3/5

This appeared on the Drive soundtrack, a very good movie which I have watched, so perhaps I've heard it before - but it doesn't ring a bell. Eighties vibe. Minimalist approach. Bass sound thick as porridge. Tranquil, smooth synths. Humdrum. Repeats itself too much for my liking. Satisfactory and sweet and good.

Song: 7.5/10
    Overall: 13.5

Sawduck

Enya  Only Time

Other than the poetics, on the same wavelength for the duration; the leisurely, dramatic pace complements the slow-motion drama. No stand-out symmetry and maybe there's a dearth of reflective pizzazz and panic, but it's perceptive enough and a pleasant combination.

A haunting, beautiful psalm; ethereal and soothing, like floating from a bed of feathers into the arms of an angel robed in golden silk. Then it stops and you realise you've just fallen out of bed onto the vomit you threw up after last night's drinking session known as Enya. The stylish official video has over 170 million views; I had no idea she was so popular! Abysmal lyrics but splendiferous track.

Song: 7.5/10
    Overall: 13.5

Both great tunes

• Advertisement

In eighth place is
    Rikand

Ennio Morricone Armonica

Intro scripts with the staredown. Opening's a little low-key for a battle, but beautifully blends as the music begins to mirror the rising anxiety from 0:47 onwards. Almost the perfect length, harmonious finale. Understated, subtle, exquisitely executed.

Suitability: 5/5

I'm getting spaghetti western vibes. I can imagine a dusty, shuttered town at dawn as two gunslingers square up. Clint Eastwood v Lee Marvin. It builds into a jittery jingle. Short, stark and delicate, it's over before it truly ignites and moves the senses. As a standalone listen, it's a touch underwhelming and not something I'd be excited to hear again. I imagine it's a section of a larger classical movement? Achieves what it sets out to achieve but not the most ambitious and epic composition of all-time.

Song: 4/10
    Overall: 14

In seventh place is
    Irish Aris

Massive Attack Safe From Harm

Relevant lyrics, mentions "rocker", "gunmen", "moving fast" when the pram is doing just that and "baby safe from harm" obviously. Drums are compatible with the downward peril. String section and vocals encapsulate the edginess and the theatrical. Perspicacious pick, the only fault is the infelicitous finale with no switch in mood for the save but it's really not glaring. Good.

I like the official video, a woman walking up stairs in an apartment block; simple but effective. Superb crooning from Shara Nelson who sang on Unfinished Sympathy whose video and title may have inspired The Verve to follow up with their own version now that I think of it. I digress! She's an underrated and under-utilised chanteuse I'd say. Maybe she'll appear on The Masked Singer. Borrows lyrics from Jim Ed Brown -"I was looking back to see if you were looking back etc." -an unexpected odd and very cool quirk. Soulful class from savants of whatever genre this is classified under, I'm guessing "dark electronica" or... something.

Song: 9/10
    Overall: 15

In sixth place is
    Necro

Stone Cold Steve Austin Theme Song

Have I heard of the artist? Don't know

There are two guitars riffs here, the primary one illustrates the action-packed protagonists, the other root one in the mix is suspenseful and incessant, in tune with the pram's perilous descent and mother's worry, then there's glass shattering to go along with it all. I like the sync with the riff and the sailor being shot and even the conclusion works. Amusingly top drawer.

On its lonesome, it's a straightforward, unadorned instrumental lacking inspiration and intrigue, begging for Stone Cold to come out and open a can of whoop-ass ( "By gawd..Austin!...Austin! The Texas Rattlesnake just stunned Kevin Costner!!")...or even better yet, Stone Cold E.T. (search Youtube, you won't be disappointed!).

Song: 5/10

In fifth place is
    purpletin

The Equals Baby Come Back

Unbefitting opening with "baby come back" for the shooting as the baby doesn't appear til 25 seconds in. It's a little lighthearted and poppy, converts a shootout into a comedic spoof, but the words are applicative, the bouncy beat blends with the baby's tottering. The best parts are the building "ooooh" vocals circa 0:43, 1:08 & 1:50, each time with the pram in shot getting farther away and at the finale all of which is fantastic. Cunning choice.

Sounds like a reggae artist performing a pop hit. Finger-picking brings to mind The Pixies' Here Comes Your Man. Tepid verse vocal melody, vapid lyrics, gratingly repetitive. Baby come back? Here's a better idea: Don't come back. Ever. Unless you're the driver for The Equals and you've just dropped them off at my house. They deserve to be renamed The Inferiors. Annoying and cloying.

Song: 5.5/10
    Overall: 15.5

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Reberetta wrote: »
    In sixth place is
    Necro

There are two guitars riffs here, the primary one illustrates the action-packed protagonists, the other root one in the mix is suspenseful and incessant, in tune with the pram's perilous descent and mother's worry, then there's glass shattering to go along with it all. I like the sync with the riff and the sailor being shot and even the conclusion works. Amusingly top drawer.

On its lonesome, it's a straightforward, unadorned instrumental lacking inspiration and intrigue, begging for Stone Cold to come out and open a can of whoop-ass ( "By gawd..Austin!...Austin! The Texas Rattlesnake just stunned Kevin Costner!!")...or even better yet, Stone Cold E.T. (search Youtube, you won't be disappointed!).

Song: 5/10

Have to agree with pretty much all of this :D

This scene started my themed version one, I saw the glass shattering and just thought - Brainwave! And it just steamrolled from there.

Just fits the scene perfectly but yeah standalone the track is just grand.

In fourth place is
    ShaneU

Edith Piaf Non Je Ne Regrette Rien

Have I heard this song before? Yes (in my last Walrus, submitted by the same person!)

This has a leisurely dramatic rhythm which partners prettily with the scene and emphasises the emotional, climactic impact over the violence and action itself, much like Enya and College and Electric Youth earlier. It just does it a little better in my view. There's a lull from 0:52 to 1:20 where it's a bit too quiet and relaxed for my liking but the root organ(?) playing at the same time is in segue with the baby bouncing down the stairs. The lyrics aren't exactly in step but it's a minor fault. The end is stellar; heroically hand in hand and timely. The submitter won a category in my last Walrus with this pick; how fortuitous that it fits like a glove here, and how devilishly sneaky clever of him.

Suitability: 3.5/5

Love her voice and her accent. I still maintain that this rousing ditty should be France's national anthem. Last Walrus I gave it ten but I've had it on my playlist since then and some of the novelty has worn off. Charming, cushy and classy.

Overall: 16

In third place is
    Ectoplasm

Blur Coffee & TV

The subject matter is almost polar opposite. I thought WTF originally, but then lined them up and hey presto, the first ten seconds of tuning and they're staring down, then the drum roll with the onset of gunshot and the isolated guitar notes as the pram tumbles downward are parallel.

It's funny how it's in accord; some won't get it, but I do. I think of the song as the inner thoughts of the baby amidst all the madness. "Take me away from the big, bad world and the creeps" etc. The outro is decent. Unusual, risky and imaginative. A surprisingly superb choice which won me over with its originality.

Suitability: 4.5/5

I have the greatest hits of Blur. I have never heard a studio album from the posh twats. Legendary band. A Damon Albarn composition with Graham Coxon on lead, his singing makes Leonard Cohen seem like a Tom Jones impersonator in comparison. Jaunty acoustic number with odd wonky fretwork. Makes me think of Gomez (Gomez the band, I don't have an Addams Family member in my house serving me refreshments). Catchy choon.

Song: 8.5/10
    Overall: 17.5

Down to the final three.

Also Starring LeVar Burton
    Kolido
    RasTa

First, second and last to be revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Uh-Oh...

The nerves...

In second place is
    LeVar

The Ides Of March  Superman

Lyrics are apt. Drum fills merge with the hobbling downhill voyage. Has the requisite rush of energy. Then the crescendo circa 1:32 -1:52 was my favourite watch of the whole round, maybe the whole Walrus, really capturing the essence of emergency and urgent seriousness of the situation with pinpoint synchronicity. It's only a short segment but I actually looked forward to seeing it and it made me smirk. I don't know if it was intended or just lucky. The rest is in keeping with the action but that's where it really earned the full points.

Riff seems to borrow chords from All Along The Watchtower. Sassy brass, animated, grandiose and fired-up expression. The band seem more excited than the music warrants, but it makes me bop too. 1:34 until the reversion to the verse is the highlight for me. Impressive vocalisations. It doesn't quite lift me off my feet, but if this is Superman, I am Clark Kent. Very good.

Song: 8/10

• Advertisement

In LAST PLACE is
    Kolido

Kenny Loggins Danger Zone

Attuned to the action-packed danger. Apposite symmetry with guitar feedback as the man falls through the glass at the start, and again at 1:44 with the shooter drawing back his head, my favourite moment. The outro peters out to drag it down. Ultimately predictable and thus a tad mundane but respectable, not bad at all.

Suitability: 2.5/5

I don't know much about Kenny Loggins. Apparently he's a very talented musician. He looks like a cool hedgehog. Middling manufactured pseudo-rock, like what a computer program would come up with if you ordered it to create an eighties rock song. Formulaic, slick, insipid. Unnecessary, ineffective brass. Trite guitar solo. Not horrendous- alas no heart, no soul, no thanks.

Song: 6/10
    Overall: 11

Which means the WINNER is
    RasTa, wherever they've gone

7th Avenue Aviators You Should O Held On

Cool sync @0:41. Lyrics are in league to an extent - "I've got to be on my way" when the pram begins to roll. Exceedingly joyful and sweet, I feel it emphasises the baby's predicament, turns it into a funny farce but it's finely honed. The vocalists' rising intonations combine with the pram's descent particularly circa 1:12-1:16. Outro is fine. Can't fault it. Original and wise pick.

Shares a similar rhythm with the Grease song Summer Nights. Elegant and egregious singing. Mellifluous, vibrant and appealing pop. Energy-packed and catchy. Rose in my estimation the more I listened. Ab fab. Awarded a prestigious place on my ivy league playlist.

Overall: 19

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

In eighth place is
    Rikand

Ennio Morricone Armonica

Intro scripts with the staredown. Opening's a little low-key for a battle, but beautifully blends as the music begins to mirror the rising anxiety from 0:47 onwards. Almost the perfect length, harmonious finale. Understated, subtle, exquisitely executed.

I'm getting spaghetti western vibes. I can imagine a dusty, shuttered town at dawn as two gunslingers square up. Clint Eastwood v Lee Marvin. It builds into a jittery jingle. Short, stark and delicate, it's over before it truly ignites and moves the senses. As a standalone listen, it's a touch underwhelming and not something I'd be excited to hear again. I imagine it's a section of a larger classical movement? Achieves what it sets out to achieve but not the most ambitious and epic composition of all-time.

Song: 4/10
    Overall: 14

This was the exact version of this song that i was looking for, but I couldnt find it. Jerry Goldsmith gives the version a bit more pump!

22 seconds in :)

Standings, click titles to sort, check your own scores and inform me of mistakes.  Next round is tomorrow around 5pm. Grazie all.

Sawduck 9 15.5 11 13.5 0 0 49
    Rikand 12.5 5 12 14 0 0 43.5
    ShaneU 16.5 16.5 18 16 0 0 67
    Necro 12 17.5 17 15 0 0 61.5
    RasTa 8 12.5 11.5 19 0 0 51
    Ectoplasm 8 18 9 17.5 0 0 52.5
    the purple tin 10 12 7 15.5 0 0 44.5
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 12 17 14.5 18 0 0 61.5
    Irish Aris 16 7.5 13.5 15 0 0 52
    Kolido 13 9 16.5 11 0 0 49.5
    beakerjoe 13 3 8 13.5 0 0 37.5

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In second place is
    LeVar

The Ides Of March  Superman
    <snip>

Lyrics are apt. Drum fills merge with the hobbling downhill voyage. Has the requisite rush of energy. Then the crescendo circa 1:32 -1:52 was my favourite watch of the whole round, maybe the whole Walrus, really capturing the essence of emergency and urgent seriousness of the situation with pinpoint synchronicity. It's only a short segment but I actually looked forward to seeing it and it made me smirk. I don't know if it was intended or just lucky. The rest is in keeping with the action but that's where it really earned the full points.

Riff seems to borrow chords from All Along The Watchtower. Sassy brass, animated, grandiose and fired-up expression. The band seem more excited than the music warrants, but it makes me bop too. 1:34 until the reversion to the verse is the highlight for me. Impressive vocalisations. It doesn't quite lift me off my feet, but if this is Superman, I am Clark Kent. Very good.

Song: 8/10

I thought of the song instantly for this one, didn't know that that section would mesh so well, but once I played the song side by side with clip and saw how well it fit that moment, it was cemented in place as my choice for the round and I didn't even consider anything else, so I'm glad you enjoyed that bit so much... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Happy with that. Really wasn't sure how that would go over so pleasantly surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Standings, click titles to sort, check your own scores and inform me of mistakes.  Next round is tomorrow around 5pm. Grazie all.

Sawduck 9 15.5 11 13.5 0 0 49
    Rikand 12.5 5 12 14 0 0 43.5
    ShaneU 16.5 16.5 18 16 0 0 67
    Necro 12 17.5 17 15 0 0 61.5
    RasTa 8 12.5 11.5 19 0 0 51
    Ectoplasm 8 18 9 17.5 0 0 52.5
    the purple tin 10 12 7 15.5 0 0 44.5
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 12 17 14.5 18 0 0 61.5
    Irish Aris 16 7.5 13.5 15 0 0 52
    Kolido 13 9 16.5 11 0 0 49.5
    beakerjoe 13 3 8 13.5 0 0 37.5

Like Im last but Im not too far behind..... its still good its still good.

Coming up at 5pm.

5. On The Moors

Original video was asking for verification with bank cards/photos and other invasive Big Brother crap. I think it started from 48 seconds in the above one, or it could have been 44 seconds, but either way, the scores would be the same as I watched from both startpoints and there wasn't a lot of synchronicity in this round; submissions received were more about recreating the atmosphere. Some did it well, others not so well.

Reveal schedule will be the same as last time - 10th to 2nd, then last place and winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Coming up at 5pm.

5. On The Moors

Original video was asking for verification with bank cards/photos and other invasive Big Brother crap. I think it started from 48 seconds in the above one, or it could have been 44 seconds, but either way, the scores would be the same as I watched from both startpoints and there wasn't a lot of synchronicity in this round; submissions received were more about recreating the atmosphere. Some did it well, others not so well.

If you ever want to get around that age restriction thing just type the word repeat after youtube and you can watch the video and it will play on a constant loop as well.

Internet connectivity is playing up but ready to go hopefully to the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,377 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I forgot to enter this but some fabulous choices provided

Advertisement