Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REVEAL: Reberrus 2: The Score.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great reveal Rebe and well played Shane, don't think I've heard that song before.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Kolido wrote: »
    Great reveal Rebe and well played Shane, don't think I've heard that song before.

It's played over the end credits of Reservoir Dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Zaph wrote: »
    It's played over the end credits of Reservoir Dogs.
    Homer Simpson sang it too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Entirely unsurprised by that last place. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Reberetta wrote: »
    Standings, still all to play for -click titles to sort. Next round will be on Sunday or Monday around 5pm. Grazie all.

Player R.1 R.2 R.3 R.4 R.5 R.6 Total
    Sawduck 9 0 0 0 0 0 9
    Rikand 12.5 0 0 0 0 0 12.5
    ShaneU 16.5 0 0 0 0 0 16.5
    Necro 12 0 0 0 0 0 12
    RasTa 8 0 0 0 0 0 8
    Ectoplasm 8 0 0 0 0 0 8
    the purple tin 10 0 0 0 0 0 10
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 12 0 0 0 0 0 12
    Irish Aris 16 0 0 0 0 0 16
    Kolido 13 0 0 0 0 0 13
    beakerjoe 13 0 0 0 0 0 13
    Homer Simpson sang it too :pac:

Sorry I missed this reveal. Love the concept and love the scoring structure. Well in Reby.

Glad you like my entry. I was thinking of the scene and how what song would make me laugh if the actors had to dance uncontrollably.

Some nice picks too, NWO theme had me cracking up (I was tempted to add Shawn Michaels theme but I used it in a previous Walrus so thought better of it. Watch Breakfast at Tiffanys the other night, thinking the 96 charttopper would help me understand it more (it didnt) Great movie though.

Homer has ruined the winner though..... by ruined I mean made better. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Next round will be tomorrow at around 4:45pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Next round will be tomorrow at around 4:45pm.

Awesome!!! Saturday afternoon/evening shapes up quiet nicely!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I think I will finish last in the next round, not confident about my choice

Sawduck wrote: »

Not confident either.
    My choice was quite bold/odd and Reb mentioned that there were a number of songs that he didn't like at all - I think here I might have one of them :D

Sawduck wrote: »

I reckon I may be on for a clean sweep of the wooden spoon :)

• Advertisement

Coming up in an hour...

Round 2. Shower Scene

I'm listening to all of this Walrus blind, so I generally have no idea who submitted what. I've just finalised the scores after a final viewing. No massive changes to what I had previously scored them.

I was primarily hoping for some dark music for this snippet. A lot of strong entries here but one player has had an absolute nightmare!

Schedule will be the same as last time.

Tenth to second.

Last and first.

In tenth place is
    Rikand

Spanish Flea

Have I heard of the artist? Don't know.
    Have I heard this song before? No

Hey if she'd spent the entire film soaping up, this would have been superb. For the opening forty seconds it conglomerates. Unfortunately it's hopelessly discordant when a knife-wielding, cross-dressing psycho emerges. The contrast and chasm between mediums doesn't raise a smile and it all seems rather ridiculous.

I would have given it half a point but it ends midway through the action which doesn't help its cause and even though I replayed it for the rest of the footage there's no chemistry for the remainder either. Evidently our perceptions are at odds or the submitter was drunk!

Suitability: 0/5

Is this a theme tune to a television show?  I'm envisioning a Sunday afternoon sitcom set on a farm owned by pensioners who are involved weekly in wacky antics like tumbling hilariously out of their wheelchairs onto cowpat. Fitting because cowpat is a perfect description of this music. It grew on me but it still bites (hehe).

Song: 5/10
    Overall: 5

Roland on the sauce you say?

I know it most from the Simpsons.... as I do with everything.

In ninth place is
    Irish Aris

Diamanda Galas Pardon Me I've Got Someone To Kill

Have I heard of the artist?  No
    Have I heard this song before?  No

Squares  "pardon me I've got someone to kill" with the onset of Norman's wrath, a mention of the "big house on the hill" close to the camera switch to the home, nevertheless a mite too mellow, slow and soulful; a smidgen ill-suited for my liking, there's no stand-out synchronicity. She's always singing and there's no breaks devoted solely to music which would have helped I think.

Suitability: 1/5

Accompanied by a pianist who isn't going to strain their fingers to offer some excitement into proceedings, the powerful intonation and lung-busting passion is sadly wasted on a rather mundane, mournful dirge. A colossus of a chanteuse, but pardon me I've got someone to kill too - the producer of this record. Zzzzzzzzz.

Song: 5.5/10
    Overall: 7.5

In eighth place is
    Kolido

Rihanna Umbrella (Orange Version)

Have I heard of the artist?  Yes
    Have I heard this song before? Yes

Inappropriate lyrics. Jay-Z + naked Janet Leigh=not good. Befitting sync when the chorus kicks in and out at the onset of the attack, and again at around 2:47 with the bridge and pan out to the mansion. A mainstream hit about friendship/love doesn't quite embody the cimmerian viciousness of the on-screen show. Ok.

Suitability: 1/5

Rihanna isn't the most talented singer of all-time but she has a pleasing timbre. I could live without Jay-Z's unnecessary egotistical talking/rapping intro. I think I prefer the other version of this little precipitation-related ditty. Over-saturates the airwaves but has its assets.

Song: 7/10
    Overall: 9

Not last, I'll take it.

In seventh place is
    the purple tin

Cutting Crew (I Just) Died In Your Arms

Have I heard of the artist? Yes

Apt lyrics e.g. "a boy like me could come to this" during the murder. Apposite blend of guitar technique when the water is swirling down the drain. The solo debuts as the house is given its on-screen debut. Perhaps doesn't have the requisite tenor of tenebrosity, but a respectable effort.

Suitability: 2/5

The instrumental intro makes me nostalgic for Freddie Mercury's Living On My Own. I'm not certain why. Chorus is by far the most potent section of this song, probably why they repeat it endlessly. There's a few half-hearted guitar forays - nothing special. A hit for a reason.

Song: 8/10
    Overall: 12

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

In tenth place is
    Rikand

Spanish Flea

Have I heard of the artist? Don't know.

The best known version of this is an instrumental by Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, which I think this version is. In addition to The Simpsons it was used on the American Version of Blind Date for years.

• Advertisement

In sixth place is
    RasTa

Beach House Dark Spring

Have I heard of the artist? No

I deliberated over this unusual double act more than any other. Almost the exact length, perhaps a tinge too heavenly when hellishness is required. A timely drum roll when the shower curtain is being pulled off its hooks. As the water swirls, panning out from her deadened eye, the music is felicitous @2:07. Germane and very good indeed.

Suitability: 4/5

I sense a David Bowie's Heroes influence on the opening and guitar. This is reminiscent of Air, the French group, and Cocteau Twins' aural landscapes - at least to me. Maybe there's a My Bloody Valentine nod too. Soft vocals layered on a dreamy atmosphere with a central riff like an engine in the background of a cloudy vista. Lyrics are garbled guff. Serene but fluffy and dull.

Song: 4.5/10
    Overall: 12.5

In fifth place is
    Sawduck

Drab City Devil Doll

Have I heard of the artist? No

As the murder occurs, an apropos musical shift takes place, an instrument is introduced, possibly a woodwind one, which although not forceful consistent with a knife thrust is nonetheless a timely touch. Overall the ambling, low-key ambience blends with the black and white reel and emphasises the sorrow. It's like a song from Marion Crane's perspective. Shrewd selection.

Official video is a cinematic masterpiece...not. Very laid-back and sombre, a hint of Bat For Lashes and Lamb, bringing to mind Portishead, Massive Attack and other creative knob fiddlers who can't be bothered to employ a proper drummer in the studio (or maybe they do, but they all sound like a computer program).

Echo chamber chorus with overdubs. A dint of drabness about this whispery willowy serenade, a garnish of sleepiness, and although I'd never rush to hear it, it's glumness has a certain appeal. Nice.

Song: 7.5/10
    Overall: 15.5

Liking a lot of the songs posted so far. Nice little murdery playlist.

In fourth place is
    ShaneU

Radiohead Karma Police

Low background keyboard(?) effect as the stabbing occurs; timely. Nifty blend of mediums as she's sliding down the shower wall circa 1:20 and later as the camera's panning out on her visage 2:20; both with the lyric "This is what you get..." and, the latter, " for a minute there" etc. -sublime. The outros are compatible too. The mournful tones mesh majestically.

Drums are too in your face for my money. Doleful and ambling, yet an awe-inspiring, atmospheric creation. My twin brother and I formed a band called Hitler Hairdo in our teens. Mysteriously, not many clubs wanted to book us and we changed our name in no time to Stalin's Moustache (last part is a joke).

Song: 8.5/10
    Overall: 16.5

In third place is
    ASL Burton

Alice Cooper Steven

Applicable and astute from first to last. Sings "screaming" when she screams, "cut" when she's being cut, "cover up your eyes", when she's holding her hand up, "you've only lived a second of your life" as the murderer leaves the crime scene. A drum roll while the curtain hooks are being torn off. Piano echoes the water's draining, slow drifting string section as the camera drifts away from her dead face. The outro is like a house on fire too.

Perfect measure of aggression, creepiness and sadness. If only it were called Norman. If this was the official video of the song I wouldn't notice the difference. Absolutely brilliant, if I could give it more points I would!

Suitability: 5/5

This is reminiscent of the Italian horror soundtrack masters Goblin. Timid childish squeaks start it off and I don't recognise Alice Cooper initially. Verses are better than the chorus. Are we meant to be cowered into a corner by a grown man screaming "Steven"? Surely he could have come up with a more scary name? Should have been called "Phil Mitchell."

Overlong, overlaid and overdone, I could live without the crescendo of orchestral arrangement and multiple overdubs and embellishments. The outro reminds me of the finale to Radiohead's Street Spirit which can only mean one thing - Alice Cooper has a time-machine in his basement (along with several handcuffed females and a bloke named Steven). Good.

Song: 7/10
    Overall: 17

Down to the final three.

beakerjoe
    Ectoplasm
    Necro

Winner, second and last to be revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In third place is
    ASL Burton

Alice Cooper Steven
    <snip>

Applicable and astute from first to last. Sings "screaming" when she screams, "cut" when she's being cut, "cover up your eyes", when she's holding her hand up, "you've only lived a second of your life" as the murderer leaves the crime scene. A drum roll while the curtain hooks are being torn off. Piano echoes the water's draining, slow drifting string section as the camera drifts away from her dead face. The outro is like a house on fire too.

Perfect measure of aggression, creepiness and sadness. If only it were called Norman. If this was the official video of the song I wouldn't notice the difference. Absolutely brilliant, if I could give it more points I would!

Well I won't stop you if you want to give me more points... ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Down to the final three.

beakerjoe
    Ectoplasm
    Necro

Winner, second and last to be revealed.

source.gif

In second place is
    Necro.

Motorhead The Game

Have I heard this song before? Yes, vaguely.

Sublime from 0:43-1:40, especially the lyrics. Out of all the entries this one captures the actual killing best. Although it has its haunting moments, it doesn't truly reflect the tragedy of the action, maybe too heavy and lacking shadow and suspense; feels like it's a song solely from Norman's perspective, the antithesis of the Drab City entry. I won't be petty and nitpick. Almost the same duration and ends with a perfectly timed devilish chuckle. Another top-drawer choice.

Customary gruff vocals from Lemmy, rough production on the lumbering chunky metal. The evil laughs and the prolonged menacing notes with back-up are the highlight of the song; like a soundtrack for a vomit-inducing villain in a horror show. Or Triple H. Wait, same thing!

Song: 7.5/10
    Overall: 17.5

• Advertisement

Last place for me surely

Advertisement