Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REVEAL: Reberrus 2: The Score.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Last place for me surely

Don't be so sure. Look where I came last round :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ectoplasm wrote: »
    Don't be so sure. Look where I came last round :D

My entry isnt a winner....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

In LAST PLACE is
    beakerjoe

Metallica  St. Anger

Have I heard of the artist? Yes
    Have I heard this song before? Yes

Altogether too loud, brisk, and adrenaline fuelled, it doesn't really tie in with anything, other than the lyrical theme and briefly@ 1:10-1:35 where it shows promise. It doesn't address the haunting, tranquil tragedy of the scene. Hard to take it seriously as James Hetfield sings laughably about "Saint Anger" not getting any respect. A horrible juxtaposition. A big misjudgement in my view.

Suitability: 0/5

Terrific drumming, awful vocals, dreadful lyrics for the duration. I can't hear the guitars clearly; they may as well be buried under a landfill..wait, this is a landfill! "Flush it out! Flush it out! " made me chuckle. Recorded in a garage? Just gets worse the longer it goes on. Even the late scream is bad. They're like a parody of a metal band. How the mighty have fallen. Abysmal.

The official video is set in a prison where they gave a live performance. It's certainly one way to discourage re-offending- although suicides may have shown a spike in numbers that day!

Drumming: 3/10
    Overall: 3

Which means...

The WINNER is
    Ectoplasm

The Doors Riders On The Storm

Press play on the song 17 seconds into the movie clip.

Recreates the lashing of water, very cunning. Thunder and lightning as the killing gets underway. Lyrics mention a murderer, "gotta love your man" as she's lying dead on the tiles. Unerring level of subtlety; low-key yet lugubrious, jazzy lounge act vibe brings to mind black and white film noir.  Wise pick.

Suitability: 4/5

My favourite Doors sonic exploration; lyrically dark and brooding, invokes images of windswept moors, the pall of night falling, long but every note seems vital. Love the guitar and organ tonality. An all-pervading essence of cool about the groove which you can dance to, I can picture John Travolta in my mind laying down some moves. Timeless.

Song:  10/10
    Overall: 18

Woohoo! Surprised and delighted with that one.

Well in Ecto.

Knew St Anger was mid table at best. Never gonna score high with it, but I like it

• Advertisement

Cheers Beaker. What I like about these games is how subjective it all is. I liked nearly all the songs from this category including yours.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

My themed entries are doing ok so far - I do not expect this to continue :pac:

Brilliant round from most. Enjoyed it.

Apologies to beakerjoe for the hatchet job but you know what you've let yourself in for when your enter Reberrus. :D

Standings, click titles to sort, check your own scores and inform me of mistakes. Still all to play for -next round will be on Wednesday around 5pm. Grazie all.

Player R.1 R.2 R.3 R.4 R.5 R.6 Total
    Sawduck 9 15.5 0 0 0 0 24.5
    Rikand 12.5 5 0 0 0 0 17.5
    ShaneU 16.5 16.5 0 0 0 0 33
    Necro 12 17.5 0 0 0 0 29.5
    RasTa 8 12.5 0 0 0 0 20.5
    Ectoplasm 8 18 0 0 0 0 26
    the purple tin 10 12 0 0 0 0 22
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 12 17 0 0 0 0 29
    Irish Aris 16 7.5 0 0 0 0 23.5
    Kolido 13 9 0 0 0 0 22
    beakerjoe 13 3 0 0 0 0 16

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Fun facts: The Psycho soundtrack contains no percussion.

The eee eee eee! during the shower stabbing mimics the cries of a distressed animal: a young deer being attacked by a predator I think. Humans are still hard-wired to become alert and stressed when they hear that noise as the predator might be coming after them next.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well it said in the sign up thread not to go with the obvious suggestion, so I went for the opposite. Actually I think it would be a great tune for an alternate reality psycho. Like that The Shining trailer with Peter Gabriel solsbury hill feel good family movie. Or dumb and dumber as the thriller!

• Advertisement

Coming up at 5pm...

3. Initiation's Over

As always, I'm listening to this Walrus blind, so I've mostly forgotten who submitted what.

Reveal schedule will be the same as last time - 10th to 2nd, then last place and winner.

In tenth place is
    beakerjoe

The Darkness  Growiing On Me

Well I laughed at this one several times -not a good sign. Fun cock-rock for a fireside blood-drenched battle? Ok. Out of context. Nothing bounces off, nothing squares up. As it was a last minute entry, it probably deserves a point for comedy value alone, but in the words of Clint Eastwood, "deserve ain't got nothing to do with it".

I always thought their moniker was misleading; it's more becoming of a black metal band. Old-fashioned rocker, a bit too old-fashioned some might say. The lyrics are prattle. I'm impressed by his high notes. Solo is buried too low in the mix -can barely hear it - but what I can hear of it is atrocious. There's a second solo and a third, also atrocious. The whole production is subpar -drums don't pound, guitars aren't crunchy, just distorted and fuzzy and flaccid. An intentional parody? Good humoured but half-witted bollocks.

Inevitably, despite all of that, I found myself singing along and headbanging at the end. Growing on me, the twats.

Song: 8/10
    Overall: 8

In ninth place is
    Ectoplasm

Prince Let's Go Crazy

"Start the song when the movie clip is 1:00 in and stop the song after the song has played for 1:25"

The party atmosphere is not inclusive of the frightful situation. "Take a look around, at least you've got friends" makes me smirk as I don't think homicidal vampires were quite what Prince had in mind. Having said that, its vibrancy doesn't jar that much with the manic nature of the visuals, but it doesn't have the element of terror, it's far too jolly. "Dropped it to the floor" as one of the victims is dropped to the floor is the only noteworthy moment but it's not sufficient considering the omission of so much of the action. It's too philanthropic and friendly.

May have been my favourite Prince composition for a period; it no longer holds that exalted honour, but it's vibrant and buzzing with the customary enthusiasm of the diminutive one. Not the greatest solo he's ever written. Love the backing female vocals near the end. The version provided substituted the proper intro with a muddled one, which is a shame, as it's integral to its brilliance and the excitement of the ensuing key change. Still a smashing tune.

Song: 9/10
    Overall: 9

Reberetta wrote: »
    In tenth place is
    beakerjoe

The Darkness  Growiing On Me

Song: 8/10
    Overall: 8

I dispute the suitability. The thoughts in young Jason Patric's mind of becoming a vampire isnt a sure thing but after much debate he says "fcuk it" all in all the idea grew on him like a bad rash. SO IT DID REALLY GROW ON HIM

5 ON 5!

AllKindAxolotl-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Great Prince song, I agree though about the suitability, too joyous

In eighth place is
    Sawduck

Adipocere Rusty Cage

Have I heard of the artist?  No
    Have I heard this song before? No

Words are worthy of the proceedings, a tad pedestrian and lightweight while the killings are underway, but in the ballpark. Close to the video's duration. A deficiency of doom, a dearth of antagonism, best part is the sync @2:05. Not enough heaviness in terms of emotion or instrumentally - like salad when steak is required. Ok however.

Suitability: 2/5

Begins with a croaky grunt of "Crowley", I'm wondering if it's associated with Victor Crowley, the horror villain; I hope not, because Hatchet is one of the worst movies ever. Features tambourine, acoustic plucking, strange masks, a Frenchy accordion, and a snappy chorus. Classy.

Song: 7/10
    Overall: 11

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I dispute the suitability. The thoughts in young Jason Patric's mind of becoming a vampire isnt a sure thing but after much debate he says "fcuk it" all in all the idea grew on him like a bad rash. SO IT DID REALLY GROW ON HIM

5 ON 5!

You'll have to take it to the court of arbitration for Walrus.:cool:

You'll have to take it to the court of arbitration for Walrus.:cool:

InbornGlaringIbis-size_restricted.gif

I joke //////// Obviously

In seventh place is
    RasTa

Pink Floyd Brain Damage

Doesn't quite capture the Stygian gruesome climate, tempo labours behind during the massacre. It's neatly arranged @1:15-1:45 specifically where Kiefer Sutherland unveils his vampiric visage. The outro @ 2:33 blends beautifully with the chorus too. The tone of the song is almost a tad hopeful and latter day Beatles-esque, more in keeping with The Wizard Of Oz than a bloodbath. Maybe a bit obvious too, grand though.

Pink Floyd are a strange band in more ways than one. The verse structure is plunking and lacks punch,  but a rousing chorus ably assisted by backing female vocals is worth the wait. Not a super-eminent addition to their body of work - jejune fare, rather than a juggernaut that bowls you over- but it's a dainty aural experiment nonetheless.

Song: 7.5/10
    Overall: 11.5

In sixth place is
    Rikand

Mudvayne Dig

What it lacks in creepiness, suspense and gloomy supernatural undertones, it makes up for in symmetry. The weird intro is applicable, the riff is in keeping with the victim's dance around the fire, the stand-out one note while the camera moves between the vampires' faces in the tree is apropos. From around 1:50 until 2:35 it's a seamless blend. 1:51 is my favourite part. The screaming echoes the screaming on screen. If anything, it over-dos the belligerence, but super.

One section has vocal stylings influenced by Jonathan Davis who arguably pioneered the fast gibberish spouting in nu metal on Korn's debut album. That, and the distinctive jangly bass(?) note are the only notables of this racket best described as mindless screaming with an absence of songwriting skill, melody and lyrical profundity. I considered submitting this to the worst song ever tournament we had here on Boards, coincidentally run by the submiitter IIRC.

Mudvayne completely revamped their image soon after this, deciding they'd rather be moody goths than psycho clowns. Sadly, their music still blew so no one cared. Mystified that this video has over 40 million views on Youtube. I don't 'dig' (hehe) it.

Song: 4/10
    Overall: 12

• Advertisement

In fifth place is
    Irish Aris

Killing Joke Love Like Blood

Has the requisite sense of desolation, suffering and drama. Opening is apt, lyrics like-minded, but it doesn't really shift gears to go with the attacks, the ensuing panic and horror the reel serves up. Pitted with the film, a tad leisurely, not enough rage. There's no distinctive, unique moment of synchronicity. The finale feels like a failure, it's anaemic (hehe), it peters out limply. Respectable effort regardless.

Dark and gothy in the style of Sisters Of Mercy or Echo and The Bunnymen in their gloomier moments, the chorister's voice not a million miles away from Robert Smith's angsty wailing (and he reminds me of Duran Duran or Spandou Ballet come to that!) they wring every last drop (of blood) out of the chorus. Some verses drag a tad. An immensely enjoyable endeavour from influential punk rockers that got better and better the more I listened and was granted a prestigious place on my ivy league Youtube playlist.

Song: 9.5/10
    Overall: 13.5

In fourth place is
    LeVar

Five Finger Death Punch Wrong Side Of Heaven

It strikes the same chord in terms of mood, it has the right measure of melodiousness, aggression and madness. Highly appropriate theme. The finale doesn't gel with the solo, but the final scream comes as he drops his head to salvage it. There isn't any spectacular synchronicity but the vibe throughout and the lyrics makes it top-notch.

I don't know a lot about this band but I presumed they were heavier in the vein of Drowning Pool or Disturbed. I did not expect then a brand of emotional, sensitive gothy metal. It's like Evanescence when Amy Lee is on vacation. In other words, cack with no sexy chick to compensate. Just kidding.

Bringing to mind Metallica's My Friend Of Misery, the verse melody is first-rate and filled with promise, but the chorus is a chunky mess of anti-climactic melodrama. There's an unoriginal solo which doesn't inspire, followed by an awful bridge, all garnished with grumbling from a crooner whose voice is not distinctive or powerful; even his screams are sub-standard.  It sounds like something else but I can't think what it is. Despite all those complaints, it's not terrible, but it feels like potential wasted - half-good, half-bad.

Song: 6.5/10
    Overall: 14.5

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Reberetta's Reviews always feel a bit like... "Great choice, good job, but it was also absolute sh*te"... :D

Reberetta's Reviews always feel a bit like... "Great choice, good job, but it was also absolute sh*te"... :D

I just want to push people to be the best they can be. Cruel love. :pac:

I guess I'm glass half-empty at the end of the day.

It's both refreshing and gives me license to think "well they no nothing* anyway" when I don't get massive points.

*Jon Snow

In third place is
    Kolido

Slayer Raining Blood

Intro accommodates the mood of murderous intent and impending horror. From 1:40 to 2:40 it's cracking compatibility. The banging, incessant riff really emphasizes the killings. Even the rhythm of the riff goes hand in hand with the vampire gang walking up the hill and Kerry King screams "Reign/Raining in blood" as they reach the top. Closing fretwork not as congruent and an unimaginative choice - but almost an unerring one too, so I can't be too much of a meany about it.

Eerie beginning; a downpour and drums like a lonesome knocking on an abandoned haunted house, followed by menacing guitar riffs for which Slayer are renowned; the pace ups and vitriol leaves our ears battered by a vicious onslaught, maybe even bloody. It closes with carnage and more rain. Steve McClaren would need an umbrella to listen to this track. So would Rihanna. But not me and not Gene Kelly oh no. This is proper metal Mudvayne!

Song: 8.5/10
    Overall: 16.5

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I just want to push people to be the best they can be. Cruel love. :pac:

I guess I'm glass half-empty at the end of the day.

And the other half of the glass must be filled with piss :pac::pac::pac:

giphy.gif

Down to the final three:

Necro
    ShaneU
    the purple tin

First, second and last to be revealed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm definitely finishing last here :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

And the other half of the glass must be filled with piss :pac::pac::pac:

giphy.gif
    Necro wrote: »
    I'm definitely finishing last here :D

I'm curious to see which wrestlers theme you choose this time, hoping for a bit of vince mcmahon

Advertisement