Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 3 - Read OP

Options

Comments

It's not up to me to solve it, that why we vote in those overpaid fools we have in Government to work out what to do.

However if the Brits offer to sell us some of their vaccines we should buy them, Martin was asked would he do this and he wouldn't answer.

Its a no brainer of course we should bloody buy them.

“Hey Boris, will you sell us some of your vaccines”

“Sure, 20% of our population is enough and we really love treating our neighbours well”

Do you believe there are millions off doses just waiting on shelves to be bought. Everyone is using vaccines when the become available

• Registered Users Posts: 16,495 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's not up to me to solve it, that why we vote in those overpaid fools we have in Government to work out what to do.

However if the Brits offer to sell us some of their vaccines we should buy them, Martin was asked would he do this and he wouldn't answer.

Its a no brainer of course we should bloody buy them.

They won't have any to sell to us, when Britain gets through its population, then the vaccine companies will stop supplying them.

By that time, EU supply will also be plentiful, and it'll have moved on to getting the world vaccinated.

But clearly we are lucky that someone lacking in even basic knowledge of the situation, such as yourself, isn't being asked to solve it, and it's good that you didn't make any suggestions (apart from the one that you did that won't work, but good for a laugh all the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Manach wrote: »
    On the former point, over 85s, I hope this can be achieved. However I'm aware the some of that population demographic and their carers have not been contacted, which is worrying given the lack of mobility/coccooed nature that some over 85s are subject to. Hence Mr. Reid's logistic operations might be entangled by these factors, unless these have been well planed for.

Not all will have been contacted yet though.

Next week is roughly 80 GP surgery involved in the first week rollout. The following week is more widespread. Those not involved this week should hear this week for the week after I'd imagine.

My own grandmother was told Friday her appointment is Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

“Hey Boris, will you sell us some of your vaccines”

“Sure, 20% of our population is enough and we really love treating our neighbours well”

Do you believe there are millions off doses just waiting on shelves to be bought. Everyone is using vaccines when the become available

Unless they’re planning on scrapping the Common Travel Area it’s in their interest that our vaccine rollout goes well. They’re already willing to sell us vaccines.

Parachutes wrote: »
    Unless they’re planning on scrapping the Common Travel Area it’s in their interest that our vaccine rollout goes well. They’re already willing to sell us vaccines.

When they have used what they need an we will have access to j&j, AZ will no longer be needed in UK and Pfizer will have ramped production up further.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

Don't understand why people are so dramatic about not wanting to receive vaccines from UK. UK likely to have a surplus of vaccines well before we finish our rollout and it's in the interest of both countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,202 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Not all will have been contacted yet though.

Next week is roughly 80 GP surgery involved in the first week rollout. The following week is more widespread. Those not involved this week should hear this week for the week after I'd imagine.

My own grandmother was told Friday her appointment is Thursday

Some GPs will be starting 2 weeks from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

astrofool wrote: »
    We've used up all our supply with lots more supply coming online over the next few weeks and months, all countries are equally locked down at the moment.

What would your solution be?

Do a deal with Russians for the sputnik v vaccine for ourselves perhaps? It might sound like a fantasy, but I for one wouldn't be against our government taking the bull by the horns as opposed to leaving everything to some incompetent idiots like von der leyen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Water John wrote: »
    Some GPs will be starting 2 weeks from tomorrow.
    My grandmother's GP has said she said she won't get it for two weeks or so while the other GP in her practice is starting Monday morning. Really depends on the GP.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,766 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Don't understand why people are so dramatic about not wanting to receive vaccines from UK. UK likely to have a surplus of vaccines well before we finish our rollout and it's in the interest of both countries.
    I would not be surprised if any "surplus" is held back for likely future use as the first round of vaccines wear off

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if any "surplus" is held back for likely future use as the first round of vaccines wear off

Boosters if needed would like be to an updated recipe, with added E484K protection

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Interesting art on The Serum Institute of India, the largest producer of vaccines in the world. Started by a farmer:
    https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/feb/14/we-took-a-huge-risk-the-indian-firm-making-more-covid-jabs-than-anyone

Do a deal with Russians for the sputnik v vaccine for ourselves perhaps? It might sound like a fantasy, but I for one wouldn't be against our government taking the bull by the horns as opposed to leaving everything to some incompetent idiots like von der leyen

That could be done, Hungary have done so, it will still probably be a couple of months before we get any if we started negotiating today, between doing the medicine approval ourselves, and then waiting for supply to be manufactured.

The way I see it going is everyone will receive current generation of vaccine before September, followed by the rollout of a booster from winter onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Yevon wrote: »
    How do you propose speeding up the vaccination program?

Here's a back of the envelope style plan, give grants to any companies like J&J Novaxax etc that have a vaccine under approval to acquire cold storage space in Ireland. Ship any pre-production share Ireland is entitled to these locations, they would not be released just under storage by the companies.
    As soon as approval given start using the stored doses.
    Should speed things up by a week or more at least.
    If the Commission argues that this can't be done kick up a political stink as all that is being asked is that a company ships from say Belgium to a different facility of theirs, something there is no reason to block.

The way I see it going is everyone will receive current generation of vaccine before September, followed by the rollout of a booster from winter onwards.

Booster likely included in flu vaccine and may only be needed by vulnerable groups.

Water John wrote: »
    Booster likely included in flu vaccine and may only be needed by vulnerable groups.
    Incorporating it into the flu vaccine would be fairly genius if they could figure that out

Incorporating it into the flu vaccine would be fairly genius if they could figure that out

Think Oxford are looking at that, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Did I see it mentioned that they are working on a variant resistant vaccine that should be ready by Autumn or is that something I just dreamed up?!
    If that’s the case will there be a need for annual boosters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You might be whistling a different tune by the time you get the vaccine at the rate its being organised here.

The Brits are putting everyone to shame by the speed they are getting their citizens jabbed.

All we have is Martin stuttering his way through interviews and having no idea what he is trying to say.

Where you planning to get your vaccines from the magic vaccine tree?

The UK approved the vaccines on a emergency basis, the EU didn't hence it took longer and the UK had a head start.

The UK has one of the worst death rates in the world. They needed to have a good rollout.

The UK chucked some money into development of the Oxford vaccine.

We didn't.

The UK has also only vaccinated with one dose and has gone outside the manufacturers dosage recommendations.

What happens if because of this the virus mutated its way around the vaccine because it's not got it's full efficacy. Some fun that would be all in the name of haste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Some people seem to think an annual booster is a real negative, I don’t see an issue with it at all. I’d take a vaccine monthly at this stage to get out of this mess.

Here's a back of the envelope style plan, give grants to any companies like J&J Novaxax etc that have a vaccine under approval to acquire cold storage space in Ireland. Ship any pre-production share Ireland is entitled to these locations, they would not be released just under storage by the companies.
    As soon as approval given start using the stored doses.
    Should speed things up by a week or more at least.
    If the Commission argues that this can't be done kick up a political stink as all that is being asked is that a company ships from say Belgium to a different facility of theirs, something there is no reason to block.

This was already investigated as a non-starter, the EMA does not allow unapproved medicines to be shipped. To go around that, we would need to setup our own approval mechanism (which is too late for this pandemic anyway).

This would have saved a few days at the start of each vaccine approval at most, and would make no difference to where we are at today as we have got all vaccines we received into arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

astrofool wrote: »
    This was already investigated as a non-starter, the EMA does not allow unapproved medicines to be shipped. To go around that, we would need to setup our own approval mechanism (which is too late for this pandemic anyway).

This would have saved a few days at the start of each vaccine approval at most, and would make no difference to where we are at today as we have got all vaccines we received into arms.

Member states also cannot approve under emergency use and then draw off the EU stockpile. You would have had to do a separate deal outside the EU procurement program and those doses would have arrived well after the EU doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭josip

260,000 doses administered up until last Thursday
    + probably 20,000 since
    + 160,000 between now and the end of February

= 440,000 doses or ~220,000 people (understood that it's more than 220k but some with only 1 dose)

My SBB infographic that I post to death on here assumed 250,000 people per month Jan -April so at the moment they're roughly a month behind that guestimate.
    But if there is a minimum of 80,000 vaccines per week being delivered, then the slippage can be arrested in March hopefully and some ground made up in April.
    But by May it was hoped we would be vaccinating 500,000 per month, so 1 million doses per month needed then.

Which would be 3 times current supply; doesn't sound too unreasonable.

The SBP infographic is very handy, but the guessing at early vaccination was just that. I would expect April- July to be the heavy lifting and think it needs about 1m per month. More will be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Just for a bit of perspective, if you think the EU's progress has been slow, Japan just approved the first vaccine, Pfizer / BioNTech, today.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20210214_49/

AstraZeneca has applied for approval and Moderna is still undergoing Japanese clinical trials.

I note NHK doesn't even mention BioNTech and claims it's a US developed vaccine...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Polar101

Just for a bit of perspective, if you think the EU's progress has been slow, Japan just approved the first vaccine, Pfizer / BioNTech, today.

Jokeshop. The Emperor should resign immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Monster249

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20210214_49/

AstraZeneca has applied for approval and Moderna is still undergoing Japanese clinical trials.

I note NHK doesn't even mention BioNTech and claims it's a US developed vaccine...

Japan haven't been in near-constant lockdowns for a year though so it's not as pressing a matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Some people seem to think an annual booster is a real negative, I don’t see an issue with it at all. I’d take a vaccine monthly at this stage to get out of this mess.

Put the booster into pints and the uptake will be massive :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement