Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Not sure if this is applicable to your vehicle but if there's a 'General' item in the settings menu, it should be in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭eagerv

I don't think it's possible to change the main speedo or the odometer, however you can have a digital kmh speedo in centre of screen. Cannot remember how to bring up, but scroll through the menus. (There are also sub menus iirc.)

Also maybe search for 'units' in the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I did it on the 38, and did by searching for "units" like @prawnsambo said, it ends up being under navigation or somewhere you wouldn't expect

Changing that changed everything , Speedo, odometer etc

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

Thanks guys.

Yep - I have the km speed in the centre. I also have the units in the Sat Nav set to Km.

It's only a minor quibble that we can easily live with!

• Advertisement

Bit confused now. What exactly are you trying to change to kilometres?

Edit: Is this the video you mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Have test driven potential replacement cars recently.

Looks like I will be keeping the 28 kwh Ioniq for another while.

🙂🙂🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

One thing that's much improved since the original Ioniq days is the update process. Simple as going here and installing it on the SD card https://update.hyundai.com/EU/E1/Main

With the original one we had to cajole the dealer into actually installing updates that we knew were available followed by me getting files via torrents on forum. The car I picked up this week was still on the 2017 infotainment version despite having a service history from Hyundai dealers covering it up till now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

Put it in sports mode, that puts the km in the centre of the speedo console

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

On UK to Ireland 28kWh imports there is no easy way to change everything to kilometers. One company in New Zealand offers the service if you post them the display!

You can change the radio/say nav infotainment to km. Also a second display in the main speedo but miles still appears in addition to km.

The 38kWh is probably different.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭insular1

Hi all, probably looking at getting a second hand ioniq 28 in the next couple of months. I know about changing the reduction gear oil but is there anything else major I should be looking out for?

Also is there an OBD reader and app that works with the ioniq for checking the battery health? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭obi604

I am in the same boat. I know it generally has a great reputation…….. But There seems to be an awful lot of issues around the 12v battery and car not starting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭insular1

Was that the same with the 28? Thought it was just the 38kWhr version?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Soarer

There's not an "awful lot of issues" with the 12V at all.

If you're worried, budget an extra few bob for a new 12V and be done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭obi604

How often does the reduction gear oil have to be changed and how much does it roughly cost for the job? Is it a main dealer job or independent mechanic?

Reduction gear oil can be done by any garage. If you are in Wicklow area I can recommend someone. Send me pm. Takes less than 30 minutes, oil around 20 euro.

It should be done as soon as possible when you get car, then maybe every 100,000km.

Guide here

In terms of known issues there are a number of recalls. Email Hyundai Ireland with your reg and vin and they will tell you if done.

You can update software in head unit/radio yourself from official Hyundai website.

Charge port lock may need to be replaced again even if replaced under warranty. It's hard to know.

Rare reports of gearbox/main motor but replacing oil may help prevent this.

If you sit in car with "engine off" for 10 minutes 12 volt battery will go flat so replace it and keep a small jumper pack in glove box. Don't turn engine off when waiting outside shops or unloading. Learn how to use emergency key hidden in key fob.

Main other thing is to know real world worst case range and slow down or charge up long before you need to, especially with head wind, rain and high speed driving.

Can someone suggest/recommend the reduction gearoil to use?

The car won't start again. I'm in Dublin waiting for a jump start from road assistance.

I'm going to go to a halfords once I get on my way.

I'm in Glasnevin & will be taking the m50 south home then n7.

Where is the handiest halfords? Liffey valley or Blanchardstown?

Liffey Valley is probably closer to the M50. Not much in it though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The one in Blanch is probably closer to the M50 so you don't have to come as far off it - it's in the retail park where Currys is (last time I needed it, I went to the old unit in Westend retail park)

ThanksThanks. I'm in Blanch & they are fitting it now. I have a long drive home. Cannot gave another call out

I have on a number of occasions sat in my car with "engine off".

After switching off I just open and close the drivers door immediately.

A quirky feature of these cars as owners will know is that switching off the car doesn't turn off radio or dash display unless you open the drivers door.

Opening the door turns them off and they won't power up when shutting the door immediately.

I've never had a 12 volt battery issue oddly - even though the battery is still the same one the car came with in August 2021.

My car is annoying me slightly at the moment.

Not sure if it's just something simi normal I've not noticed since owning the car.

Or early signs of an actual issue.

Sometimes the SOC goes down a percent or 2 quicker than expected.

It is more noticeable when going up an elevation. However I'm not yet seeing any specific measurable impact on range.

For example it happened this morning but the overall percentage used up for the journey was still equivalent to 116 miles of range*.

Still trying to get a handle on it but what I saw this morning looked as follows.

Was expecting to drop from 44 percent to 39 percent on a particular stretch of route.

However it went from 44 percent to 38 because it dropped from 44 to 43 to 42 quite quickly.

Hard to say how quickly it drops as I was driving at the time.

So some questions I have.....

1) if there's an issue with a weak cell what type of range loss might one expect as a red flag issue.

2) what's the best OBD Dongle to get and Carscanner type app to use.

3) part of the problem with being such a good car in general - is that there's little info out there.

Can you actually buy replacement modules for example or is it a case that Hyundai will say "nah mate we don't make battery modules or cells for the 28 kwh anymore"

4) I went two weeks late on the annual service last year. Would Hyundai reject a warranty claim on that basis.

For what it's worth if this ends up being an actual big issue that can't be fixed easily.

Then I've already decided I want another one of these cars.

Hopefully I'm just panicking unnecessarily and it doesn't come to that.

*on 43 km route on 80 km speed limit roads it went from 54 percent to 31 percent

Oh I forgot to ask.

What is the warranty on the cells of the battery pack.

Is it like Nissan where they will only cover the cells for 5 years with the 8 year warranty being for battery degradation only.

The original 5 year rest of the car warranty would be up in July.

You seem a bit paranoid. Buy and konweii odb adapter for around 35 euro and there are multiple apps to check battery. I like soul EV spy.

In terms of warranty it depends on car, but ioniq 28kWh is typically 200,000km or 8 years whichever comes first. It's up to manufacturer to bring battery up to 70% state of health from what I remember. The battery % is based on a guess across dozens of cells and as they each drop then the % is adjusted.

Weather obviously getting milder. Full charge saw my range at 202km. First time it's been over 200 since last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

My wife drove our 38 today on a journey ABRP said would use 89% of the battery and it only used 75%, let the good times roll!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Similarly, I got 199 on a full charge yesterday happy days. Once it goes over 200 I know summer is near haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

My dad bought a 2017 Ioniq 28 last September. The car has just under 140k km on the clock but has has barely been driven in the past months (I'd say 1500km at the most). It has now popped up a bunch of error lights: ABS, automatic emergency braking, cruise control system and regenerative braking all not working.

The 12v battery is quite new (was just changed by the previous owner before selling) so I am guessing it is one of the wheel speed sensors that has failed. I have tried driving it for a bit, restarting etc, but the errors refuses go away. Could it be anything else? I know I would have a quick answer with an ODB reader but don't have one handy and the garages around are closed this being the weekend.

Advertisement