Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is a hidden buffer that's used up over time. Once the buffer is gone then the reading should drop below 100% and then it should continue to drop rather consistently. Apparently the ioniq 28kWh has an expensive battery with lots of cobalt and degrades less than some modern battery. It's also part of the reason the car is allowed to charge at 70kW rate unlike similar cars or even newer cars from same manufacturer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's not possible, degradation is 100% guaranteed, what the scanner is reading is data provided from the car which is telling it the useable battery size is the same as when new, but the buffer has degraded in the background. The I28 obviously degrades the buffer and holds available capacity steady unlike e.g. Tesla which maintains the buffer and reduces the available capacity

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

Hi

I'm taking a 2018 Ioniq for a test drive on Tuesday.

Is there anything in particular that I should watch out for?

Thanks in advance 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭obi604

do any of you have hands on experience of driving from Dublin to Galway?

if so, how many charges for a ROUND TRIP?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,635 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Would it be x2 charges. Or drive to midway charge , charge there drive midway back charge drive back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Download ABRP. Would give you a fairly accurate outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,813 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You're hardly looking at an old Ioniq now when you were considering an ID4 and an Ioniq 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,813 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That makes more sense. If you're coming from ICE cars I'd start with one EV first and see how you get on, then in 6 months time you can get your second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭CBD2

I've done it a few times before kinnegad plaza had the new esb chargers. I usually drove at motorway speed and stop half way, Kilbeggan (only one 50kw charger here) Then charge at destination and repeat on way home. If I was doing Galway to Dublin now I'd aim for a stop at kinnegad on way up and charge to 94% then on to Dublin and stop at Kinnegad Plaza again on way home, charge to 94% and on to Galway. You might need to watch your speed/weather conditions but it would mean only 2 stops in total and could possibly coincide with meal times. If you were short on way back to Galway you could swing into Galway Plaza for a few minutes.

• Advertisement

Forgot to say Ionity J7 M6 is where I mostly stopped as it's halfway. I know it's expensive but that's the price of convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I thought the Ioniq been in the photo would be interesting in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

I just collected a 172 Ioniq today with 46 K km on it. Possibly the cleanest, well looked after used car I've ever bought. Loved driving it home. Everything works, it's smooth and powerful enough. My first EV and I'm delighted.

nice one. Those km’s are as seriously low !!!

What other ev’s did you consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭dr.dundrum

In general with the Ioniq 28, are there any high level issues with them from 2017/2018.

I think there was battery recalls for the Kona worldwide - did this affect the Ioniq 28 at all?

ive heard stories of 12v battery issues and people having to keep a battery starter pack in car. Is this still an issue?

many other known issues to be aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

I've been looking into them the last while. See to be very reliable. I did pick up a novo GB 40 battery starter pack on the way home yesterday. Handy to have for any car.

I gave €11,300 for mine. I'm happy with that as car could pass as new. The seller said he got an offer of €19k early last year and he turned it down as he had it advertised for around 20l !

EVs were riding high then and we're going for more than they were worth . Different story now thankfully !

Lovely car to drive. I'll probably keep it for a few years and then upgrade to the 38kw ioniq.

I'm on 100k kms and still original 12v battery. Regular prompt on entry in the morning that 12v has been topped up during night from traction battery. I do have the small booster pack in glove box though as lots of cars had issues with 12v. I've had car since new and only recall I had done was the charge port actuator (think that's what it's called). I've had zero issues with the car.

thanks. Good to hear. What is the actual issue with the 12v battery. Is it something like if you turn the car off and leave the radio etc on that it drains the battery?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

2019 car from new here and still on originally battery.

It did die on me once maybe 3 years ago but that was during lockdown over Christmas and the car had barely moved for a month during a cold snap. Fine ever since.

I think if the car is getting driven pretty much every day it's probably not going to be much of an issue.

• Advertisement

Main battery recall only impacted some ioniq 38kWh and Kona etc. 28kWh not impacted.

I would email Hyundai Ireland with reg and vin and ask have all recalls been completed. There were 2 or 3, main one charging port lock.

Both rear wheel speed sensors tend to go around the same time, around 450 euro each using genuine Hyundai parts, including labor. Dash lights light Christmas tree randomly but a good Hyundai code reader is needed to identify which wheel sensor.

The 12 volt going flat is common. One thing that helps is check latest software version in radio menu. You can update it yourself using a laptop with SD card. Newer versions of software top up 12 volt more regularly (every 5 hours if low I think). It's not prefect. Main thing if unloading shopping or waiting outside school or supermarket leave engine "on" rather than turning off as if you sit in car then 12 volt may go flat in 5-15 minutes. If boot is not fully closed, such as a coat caught in the boot then car will not go to sleep and will go flat overnight. 12 volt is also topped up more each time car is charged. It's also better to use timer in car instead of timer in charger, it helps car go to sleep quicker. Learn how to open driver's door with emergency key (my video on YouTube) and keep a jump pack in glove box. Replace 12 volt for around 100 euro if it goes flat more than once. It's more of an annoyance than a big problem.

thank you. Great reply.

so the wheel speed sensor could be a 900 Euro fix?

Mis this something that has to be done at some stage or only if it fails.

any rough mileage it goes at or needs to be done.

Only if it fails. You get strange warnings on dash. Both seem to go around 100,000km or 6 years. Parts alone are around 300 a side.

https://youtu.be/PhM4rZc3IG4?si=ioWlhVOhaqyhdeIY

Above video runs through replacing rear wheel speed sensors. They can be bought online for about €20 each. If you know a good local mechanic this should be an easy job. My car is a 2017 model with 100k kms so I'll give this a go if I incur this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

I've also heard that it's a good idea to change the reduction gearbox oil around 100K. Would be interested to hear what the guys on this forum think about that.

Gear oil change in a Hyundai Ioniq Electric 28kWh & fitting magnetic sump plugs (youtube.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

Dec 2017 Ioniq here, 74k miles on it and I've done 44k of those in the just over 3 years I've had it.

Port Actuactor changed under warranty 18 months ago

One of the rear wheel sensors changed under warrantly 18months ago

Got local mechanic to change the gear box oil, must check the bill for the price.

Love my ionq and I live miles from anywhere. 60km round trip to work at the moment and usually more trips inthe evenings with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

It seems every Ioniq will have both rear wheel sensors fail within the first 100k km. I had one go and replaced under warranty. Second went a year later. Paid €12 for the part on AliExpress and a local mechanic fitted it for €120.

Also had the charge port actuator replaced under warranty, which also seems to go on them all.

Other than that it's only needed new tires!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

Advertisement