Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

By any chance does anyone have the part number for the Ioniq 28 parcel shelf. I think I've finally found a reasonably priced replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

• Registered Users Posts: 27,835 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

My 2017 Ioniq has just passed 200,000km.

Easily the best car I have ever owned.

Not a single problem during my three+ years of ownership.

Getting about 210km in winter and 245km in summer.

Soooooo cheap to drive. The efficiency from that car with that little 28kwh battery is amazing.

Shame all the LEVTI Scheme tolls discount has ended but all good things...

Sometimes I want to upgrade to a higher range vehicle but it would break my heart to get rid of her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

Same here ,love the efficiency and the comfort ,realibility .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭event

Probably the wrong thread but didn't want to start a new one.

Going to look at a 2020 Ioniq PHEV this week. What do I need to look out for, anything about the battery, it's range etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭denismc

That's great to hear, lots of high mileage Teslas and Leafs out there, its reassuring to know the Hyundai can do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

I have a 2018 ionic with only 50k on it, i've had it for 2 years and the most I have ever had was 228km in the summer and 200km in the winter

I'd love to know how can ionics can differ so much , my wife drives the car most of the time and she is no max verstappen

It's charged at home about twice a week and always has the regen on at 3

any thoughts ?

And fully agree with Zamboni, its the best car I've ever driven , hopefully many more years of driving it ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I had a 2019 Ioniq PHEV until last April. Great car and the battery was still at 97% SOH by the time I had over 120,000kms on it. Summer EV range could touch 60kms on a gentle city drive, winter range was less than around the 50kms and the heating did not work from the battery so the petrol engine would come on in those temperatures.

I went 8 months without filling with petrol at one point but charging regularly is key. Max charge rate is 3.3KW and I used the supplied granny charger the whole time I owned it (over 2 years).

Make sure that it has been serviced as per the schedule and in a Hyundai garage. This is to make sure that the warranty is still in place (should be 5 years or 150,000kms AFAIK). Other than that, just the normal car things to look out for. Check for crash damage, do an online car check and take it for a good test drive. The gearbox on the PHEV is a dual clutch box and should be smooth as butter to drive. It isn't the fastest car on the road but pickup should be relatively brisk in Sport mode. Don't worry about the paddle shift on the steering wheel too much, I barely used it over the time I had the car and took it more as a gimmick but it should still work and go through all 6 gears.

There are a few changes between the model I had and the 2020 but they're mostly around the dashboard and the front and rear lights/grille. Overall, they are a great car and I would have one again in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Different journey patterns.

I always had the impression that the top reported figures on Ioniq 28s here and elsewhere.

Were either 5 days a week on work commute or a few drivers who might regularly do longer trips.....

There's a big difference between doing 5 different shorter trips on one charge in winter.

And doing the full range (or most of it) in one charge. (Edit - typo meant to say do the full range in one go/journey - not one charge)

I can get mine down to 80 miles range easily - AND 100 miles plus easily in same weather easily enough.

The 80 miles is simple - do all short trips with no pre heat at all..... (I NEVER preheat)

The 100 miles plus - just keep driving along main roads until you run low. With preheat before departure while still plugged in if I really needed every last Km

7 short trips of 20 kms is likely equivalent to 14 percent* just for heating the car every time.

*Starting the car and running climate at 22 degrees on auto plus stereo at 3 degrees celsius ambient used 2 percent of battery I found.

Post edited by Old diesel on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

They are incredible figures! I'm lucky to scrape 170ish in the winter and 200ish in the summer!

I'm coming up to my 5th year of ownership and have only replaced tyres and the 2 rear abs sensors(1 under warranty). Great car!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dr.dundrum

Hi all,

I live in an apartment. the rate for the chargers in the apartment is 45 cents per kWh and it’s type 2.

under these circumstances, do you guys think a Hyundai ioniq is a good buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

First concern are you 100% guaranteed the charger will be available to you and not blocked or broken for days or weeks at a time? What's to stop 5 or 10 more people buying EVs and hogging the charger?

For around 100km driving you need 20kWh of energy or 20 units of energy at 45c a unit or 9 euro. Beware they also often have a charge starting fee of say 30c. So in terms of comparing to petrol or diesel prices there is probably.

The other big factor is an ioniq 28kWh has a real world range of 120-220km as in high speed motorway freezing range is on low side, slow summer driving on high side. Trips beyond apartment charger range would need public charging which can be a pain if public chargers are busy, broken or blocked and it can take 20+ minutes to fill to go again.

The car is great but possibly a car with a battery double the size is more practical for a single car family.

Thank you so much for the detailed answer. I will consider the details you shared!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭obi604

Does the below car look a bit different to norm? Seems like bumpers areas painted black and non standard alloys?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/35016346

A lot of ioniq 28`s got aftermarket vinyl wrap for around 200 euro to cover the grey front area. If so it can be easily removed and will have protected from stone chips. The wheels do look aftermarket. It may impact the range and you need to inform insurance car is not factory specification.

It's probably 2,000 euro overpriced.

Things from the ad, mileage in miles not km, warranty bumper to bumper is only 5 years, gone now. Battery is 8 years or 200,000km whichever is first.

It mentions 600 home charger grant, this has been reduced to 300 since Xmas. It mentions half price tolls, this is gone since Xmas. Ad may have been up a long time. If considering buying negotiate hard to get a deal to reduce risk of high depreciation. Note real world range is 120-200km, typically 170km or 60km+ from home. Outside of home charger range you need to public charge. Public chargers can often be busy, blocked or broken and can be slow. If you can stretch your budget to a car with a 64kWh battery you will get double the range and reduce the need to ever public charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭obi604

thanks. I actually prefer it with the wrap, hate the grey front area. Don’t like the alloys 🤔

a lot of Mis information alright in the ad

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

Hi all,

Thinking about buying a 2017 ionic. It's high enough mileage at 200k but with a FSH from main dealer.

It will be used as a 2nd family car and I do about 7k a year. Mostly short trips in town. My work commute is 5 km one way. Im assuming the ionic would be perfect for my use. This would be my first EV.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

IME Unless anytime you're out in the open switch the regen off and practice maximising your momentum. Regen will never be as energy efficient as not using the energy in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I have a 2017 Ioniq also and it sounds perfect for what you want it for. I also use it for trips into town for food shopping, classes, etc (about 25km round trip) and it's perfect for that. I occasionally drive it from Sligo to Dublin and back, one top up needed on the way even if leaving home with a full battery (mostly so I don't have to use public chargers while in Dublin tbh). It's got 146k on the clock so not hugely dissimilar to what you are looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Never thought about using the momemtum to get distance instead of using the regen, thanks for the idea, will try that

Be sure you don't overpay. As the car has no warranty there is a risk of an expensive bill but your little mileage is low risk. Probably worth 9k. For a little more you may get a car with far less mileage.

Do you own your own home with off street parking? That's needed to home charge. You need to factor in cost of getting home charger which can be 1400 euro.

I’m asking the current owners; would you buy your current IONIQ even if you don’t have a home charger but a charger at your apartment with the rate of 0.45 per kWh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

That's a difficult one to be honest, would it be solely for your own use?

Having had a few horrible experiences recently public charging namely a charmer in his hybrid range rover charging to to full for over an hour on a 150kw charger and the other one being hogged by dpd and taxis, I avoid public charging

Cost is one issue. However most electricity day rates are around that cost anyway. It probably works out cheaper that petrol or diesel.

The real issue is will the apartment charger be available when you are parking your car? What happens if 20+ other residents also buy an EV will you be fighting for a charger? What happens if the charger breaks, will it be fixed in 2 or 3 days or will it be weeks or months before it's fixed? What will you do during this time,will you be forced to drive somewhere and wait hours as your backup plan?

If I could not be guaranteed an assigned parking space with a dedicated personal charger with a service agreement in place that it would be fixed or replaced in x days l, I would just keep driving a petrol or diesel as long as I could. It sounds like little savings compared to fuel costs at 45c/kWh so why bother.

Post edited by zg3409 on

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

When we bought our Ioniq we did not have a home charger or the option to get one (an apartment complex with a barely functional OMC - we asked but they dragged their heels). We used a nearby public charger when needed but OH luckily had chargers at work that were free to use so mostly charged up there.

Thanks. I was planning to offer 8500 and see how it goes. I think the mileage means I shouldn't pay over 9k.

I already have a zappi charger installed at my house as I have a Sorento PHEV .

I wonder will these ionics drop any further or is 9k a decent price ?

• Advertisement

Ended up buying it this evening. Lovely well looked after car with FSH. It felt great to drive .

Advertisement