Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

€8.99 39%OFF | 58980F2000 Rear Wheel ABS Sensor Rear Axle Head Sensor Car for 2017-2020

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EHTZ8rX

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mine haven't failed yet but might grab a couple of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭loopymum

I'm sitting waiting for a breakdown truck.

Car won't start or detect key

Booster pack for me to ignition screen where all sorts of weird errors like stop, check brakes. Also turtle mode when I know it had at least 70% traction battery.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Oh crap, that doesn't sound good, hopefully it turns out to be nothing too bad. Keep us posted!

I'm pretty sure it's the 12v battery. I have read that it's known to throw up all sorts of weird errors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

Best of luck. Hope you get sorted quickly.

It does sound like some of the stuff you hear about with the 12v alright, hopefully that's all it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Sounds like the 12v, had very similar symptoms on the 38 a few weeks ago. Very scary to see random serious messages popping up and the brakes sounding like they are dieing!

I tried to jump with a booster and it didn't work, but I could have been using it wrong. I ended up jumping it off the ice car.

Halfords have a battery that's an exact replacement if it comes to it (will grab a link of you want it)

Would love the link please and thanks

A kind persons booster pack did feck all. Rang the recovery truck and told them the story so they brought a battery and jump leads and the car started immediatley, errors cleared and all was well. 32km drive home and left it running in the yard for another 30 mins, just went to collect kids and it started fine again.

Glad you got sorted!

Sure: https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/batteries/car-batteries/yuasa-hsb056-silver-12v-car-battery-5-year-guarantee-173975.html

This battery is the exact size and spec of the battery that comes with the car. They sell a cheaper one, but it doesn't have the same capacity as the original. You might also get an equivalent cheaper in a motor factors, but the size (056) seems to be relatively rare. Neither of the ones in my town had one. They were trying to sell me 054, which are the same spec but don't have the same shape that's used to clamp the battery down.

Do you have the car long?

I swapped the battery out in our 38, but there is every chance I didn't need to. We only have the car a few weeks and I think my wife probably sat in the for a while with the car off, something that would be perfectly fine to do in most cars, but apparently not these! I also changed the reg plates that day so maybe me being around the car with the key was keeping the car active and draining the battery. The car went fine for the next few days on the original battery, but I just didn't trust it anymore. So when my wife was passing a halfords anyways we said we'd just pick it up and swap it out, it was a 5 minute job. No issues since, but as I said there was a few days of no issues with the original battery too.

I got some advice on the 38 thread about making sure the car has all the updates it can etc, it might be worth having a read throw some of the replies to this post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

That 5 year warranty with Halford's is great.

Had to swap a 12V with them a couple of weeks ago, and the battery was only 3 years old. No questions asked..."here's a new one!".

The original 5 year warranty carries onto the new battery (ie. we've 2 years on that), but a great service.

Thanks for the link.

I was at work & asked someone to get a few things from the car from me earlier in the day so potentially they may have left the boot slightly open?

If it happens again I will definitely get a new 12v.

I have the car over 3 years. I I get the topped up the 12v regularly message

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭denismc

I have a battery monitor that clips onto the 12v, data is shared with an app on your phone via Bluetooth . Very useful to see the health of the battery.

Battery Monitor BM2 device for Cars & Campervans 12V Battery/leisure battery tester Compatible with Android iOS and Ipad with bluetooth 4.0 and above. https://amzn.eu/d/8Lc4bJK

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

Thanks for info - and advice!

Just pulled the trigger on a 2018 i28. Apparently the 12v battery maintenance has been fixed with a firmware update.

Does anyone know if the publicly available Hyundai updates (Notice | Official Hyundai Motors Navigation Update Website) solve this issue - or do I need to take the car to Hyundai?

Alternatively, does anyone know the software version that fixed this 12v issue?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can update the head unit yourself. I believe any version in past few years checks the battery voltage regularly and tops it up. It won't stop it draining if you dot in car with "engine" off or leave boot slightly open. Most dealers don't like applying the updates as they take time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

As far as I can see, only the November 2023 update works for the Ioniq. All the other ones on that page are for other cars.

Question on changing the reduction gear oil.

Where did you guys get it done? I've tried 2 Hyundai dealers and neither were familiar with doing this. 2018 i28 EV.

I'm in Louth if anyone can recommend someone nearby - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Here you go, video showing it. I would be chatting to regular garage rather than hyundai for this.

https://youtu.be/QhJOI4lYF1c?si=tq1TcAw_FSSDL9NU

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Any garage with a lift should be able to do this. I did it myself in less than half an hour. Ideally you need a tube or pump to get oil up and in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

With many reasonably priced 28kwh Ioniq's coming up for sale in various places time to time, just an open question - would you consider buying an Ioniq that's outside the battery warranty (160kms)?

Just wondering what's the general confidence levels like on Ioniq lasting 10+ years, or say beyond 300k+?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭djan

Wondering the same here. What would be the worst case scanario if the battery and drive train were to pack it in. If within 3-5k might be OK to take a chance considering the already great value!

Local indepentant garage did reduction gear oil on mine, I sent them a youtube of it being done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭obi604

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭bootser

They are both the 28KwH battery, bout 180 to 200km range

The bigger battery has the larger screen and a different instrument cluster.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

The 38kWh battery was introduced in late 2019, it has a much more plasticy looking front to it than the 28kWh, where the front nearly looks rubbery.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Partner has decided to learn to drive, just picked up a 172 Ioniq for her first car. Good to have an old faithful back in the family.

Had a very squeaky bum moment when the car wouldn't charge, the car we bought hasn't been used much for in the last 6 months, the charging lock wouldn't engage which prevented the car from starting to charge (AC, DC and Granny Chargers)

After a bit of research online, I was able to sort by giving a firm yank on the emergency cable release in bottom of the boot.

• Advertisement

Another question!

Anyone know if it's possible to change the main speedo to Km (car is a 2018 UK import, speedo is miles).

I can't see anything online about how to do this but I did come across a video of a UK guy "fixing" the display to bring it back to mph when it had been accidentally changed to Km/hr!

Loving the car and comfortably getting 4.8ml/Kwh on a commute from Dundalk to Castleblayney 👌

Advertisement