Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Ingebrittsen and the Belgian lad fist bumping as they crossed the line a couple of yards ahead of the Dutch fella who led all the way around....haven't seen anything like that before in a race tbh.

Can't warm to Ingebrittsen at all....a very talented athlete for sure but something unlikeable about him

Bolt used to do that. I think it was himself and DeGrasse smiling and looking at each other as they comfortably qualified.

It's all good craic. We need personalities.

Hamachi wrote: »
    She’s by far the fastest 200m runner in the race.

She and her coach describe the way she runs 400m indoors as ‘controlled suicide’.

True, but don't underestimate the disadvantage of her lane draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Chivito550 wrote: »
    It's all good craic. We need personalities.

It comes across as arrogance though, not good craic with Jakob.

His comments about Marcin Lewandowski being twice his age and losing his speed, were borderline obnoxious. Talented athlete, but not likeable.

His comments about Marcin Lewandowski being twice his age and losing his speed, were borderline obnoxious. Talented athlete, but not likeable.

At least he gets people talking. That's what we want in our sport.

Too many boring athletes out there. Personalities are important for the profile of the sport.

Not everyone liked McEnroe for example, but he got people talking about tennis.

Re Lewandowski, there's a healthy rivalry there. No doubt Jakob has the utmost respect for a guy who has beaten him twice in major championships in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

At least he gets people talking. That's what we want in our sport.

Too many boring athletes out there. Personalities are important for the profile of the sport.

Not everyone liked McEnroe for example, but he got people talking about tennis.

Re Lewandowski, there's a healthy rivalry there. No doubt Jakob has the utmost respect for a guy who has beaten him twice in major championships in 2019.

he is brilliant for the sport and hopefully will be for many years.

• Advertisement

good stuff from Lavin. Q and a pb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Sarah Lavin with PB and qualification. Felt sorry for the Romanian athlete with the false start. Instant disqualification over 60 metres when fast start needed seems harsh.

Sarah Lavin with PB and qualification. Felt sorry for the Romanian athlete with the false start. Instant disqualification over 60 metres when fast start needed seems harsh.

Not really, its a basic skill requirement for the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

jamule wrote: »

Ah yeh, I'm not questioning the rule or anything. Nerves just play a major part at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I still feel sorry for her

And it was more a rule change to speed things up as much as anything to do with a skill...It's not a skill. It's discipline.

And to eliminate possible gamesmanship...

The false start rule has changed dramatically through the years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,466 ✭✭✭✭28064212

good stuff from Lavin. Q and a pb
    Third PB in 10 days!

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Third PB in 10 days!

If this was an athlete from any other country you'd have the usual suspects on here claiming this, that and the other.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Chat with Konstanze Klosterhalfen who was mentioned earlier.

Posting re Craig Engels because when he next turns up in an 80s music video it'll be account of his hair. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭API

Chat with Konstanze Klosterhalfen who was mentioned earlier.

Posting re Craig Engels because when he next turns up in an 80s music video it'll be account of his hair. :pac:

That's the first time I've watched Konstanze Klosterhalfen being interviewed though shes been on the circuit a long time.
    Shes a joy to watch.

I cant watch the other guy, hes so in love with himself and the camera its painful. Luckily he has the talent to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

walshb wrote: »
    If this was an athlete from any other country you'd have the usual suspects on here claiming this, that and the other.

If you feel the need to argue with someone I can make such accusations to keep you happy.........

I'd tend to agree with you. With Bolt it was more showmanship in a humorous way with his OTT Bolt lightening imitations etc.

Maybe its just that in general Jamaicans seem relaxed and chilled and Nordics seem more serious....

His talent is obviously a pleasure to watch and much needed.

API wrote: »
    That's the first time I've watched Konstanze Klosterhalfen being interviewed though shes been on the circuit a long time.
    Shes a joy to watch.

If you speak any German or can find closed captions, there’s quite a few interviews with her in the German media.

She’s a very impressive athlete and person. I watched a particularly combative interview with her in the leading German weekly sports show where the moderator virtually accused her of doping because she trains under Pete Julian in Oregon. She handled a difficult situation very well.

She also receives a significant amount of abuse on German social media for her weight. Some of the comments I’ve read are truly appalling. It’s water off a ducks back though. Despite her timid exterior, she’s clearly very strong mentally and is a warrior on the track. I see an Olympic gold medal in her future.

Just heard Tobin qualified for 3000 final. Delighted for him.

OOnegative wrote: »
    If you feel the need to argue with someone I can make such accusations to keep you happy.........

No.

Best to keep this thread on topic.

If you speak any German or can find closed captions, there’s quite a few interviews with her in the German media.

She’s a very impressive athlete and person. I watched a particularly combative interview with her in the leading German weekly sports show where the moderator virtually accused her of doping because she trains under Pete Julian in Oregon. She handled a difficult situation very well.

She also receives a significant amount of abuse on German social media for her weight. Some of the comments I’ve read are truly appalling. It’s water off a ducks back though. Despite her timid exterior, she’s clearly very strong mentally and is a warrior on the track. I see an Olympic gold medal in her future.

Yeah, I'm not going to lie I have tended to feel a bit suspicious of anyone training on the Oregon project especially athletes who improved a lot like Hassan.

I have also seen some nasty comments about her weight and her form.

She's obviously a very strong athlete, I havn't heard of her having stress fracture problems. You wont get very far in middle distance with weight on you.

I agree with you about the medals in the Olympics, maybe not this summer (if it goes ahead) but you never know.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm not going to lie I have tended to feel a bit suspicious of anyone training on the Oregon project especially athletes who improved a lot like Hassan.

I have also seen some nasty comments about her weight and her form.

She's obviously a very strong athlete, I havn't heard of her having stress fracture problems. You wont get very far in middle distance with weight on you.

I agree with you about the medals in the Olympics, maybe not this summer (if it goes ahead) but you never know.

She got bronze in Doha. She has every chance of a medal in Tokyo.

She got bronze in Doha. She has every chance of a medal in Tokyo.

I'd love to see her medal, we'll see if it transpires.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

What do you think will be her best/most competitive distance? I think she could maybe go sub 30 for 10k, but with Hassan and Gidey on the scene I can't see Koko ever winning a gold there.

Regarding the NOP comments I think in Klosterhalfen's defence she was only ever there a matter of weeks.

What do you think will be her best/most competitive distance? I think she could maybe go sub 30 for 10k, but with Hassan and Gidey on the scene I can't see Koko ever winning a gold there.

Regarding the NOP comments I think in Klosterhalfen's defence she was only ever there a matter of weeks.

Gidey has really come on, there so much competition in the 10k. I don't see her getting a medal. Maybe 4th or 5th.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Gidey has really come on, there so much competition in the 10k. I don't see her getting a medal. Maybe 4th or 5th.

Maybe bronze at a push, but she'd still be battling against the likes of Tirop and Obiri for that. I'm already looking forward to the 10k in Tokyo if it happens, could see Hassan and Gidey going down to the wire, with an even closer finish than in Doha.

Maybe bronze at a push, but she'd still be battling against the likes of Tirop and Obiri for that. I'm already looking forward to the 10k in Tokyo if it happens, could see Hassan and Gidey going down to the wire, with an even closer finish than in Doha.

Exactly, I totally agree with you. Its going to be such an exciting race and will go down to form and tactics on the day since its so competitive. Such a fantastic field. I still don't see Koko beating the Africans though.

Just on the Koko craic, is that a silly nickname the Americans gave her? Never heard that name used for her til she moved there.

Just on the Koko craic, is that a silly nickname the Americans gave her? Never heard that name used for her til she moved there.

lol, I know it reminds me of Koko the clown. I've only heard it a few times but the only time I've heard a commentator saying it was at the Texas meet.
    I don't think they'd get away with it on the BBC etc.

That's nothing compared to the ESPN commentators talking casually about Allie O's weight.

To be fair to the Americans, it’s not them. It’s a nickname her parents and brothers gave her when she was a child, because her full name is so long to pronounce.

Konstanze is quite an old fashioned German name. It would like a young Irish woman being called Mary. Klosterhalfen is also quite an unusual German family name. I never heard it in the 10 years I lived there.

It’s just as well they didn’t start calling her KoKlo. Klo is the German slang for toilet, like the bog or the jacks in English :)

• Advertisement

You’re totally right. I see her more like a young Paula Radcliffe. I see her winning the Olympic marathon in 2028. I think the marathon will ultimately prove to be her best event.

Advertisement