Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ingebrigtsen disqualified!

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Ingebritsen disqualified for a lane infringement. Gold for Lewandoski and Poland.

Appeal lodged by the Norwegians, not sure if it’ll go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

The start was a mess, the inside 6 runners weren’t lined up correctly. Spread across the full width of the track.

Caprica wrote: »
    Ingebritsen disqualified for a lane infringement. Gold for Lewandoski and Poland.

Appeal lodged by the Norwegians, not sure if it’ll go anywhere.

It looks clear as day to me. Ingebrigtsen tried to force his way into a gap that wasn’t there and ended up losing his balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

thr polish phantom strikes again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,727 ✭✭✭✭walshb

jamule wrote: »

I’d refuse the medal..

The best man was Jacob. The infringement was not deliberate and hardly changed the result..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

jamule wrote: »

Yes but he’ll know he wasn’t the best man in the race, bitter sweet I’d say

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Absolute joke, there's always a joss for position, polish lad pushed him off the track,
    Jacob by far the best athlete in the field..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Heats for the 3000m are up:

https://liveresults.european-athletics.com/en/results/athletics/daily-schedule-date=2021-03-06.htm

Lewandowski listed in H2 with Tobin + Ingebrigtsen listed in H3 with Fay. Could see Jakob running, but probably not Lewandowski.

walshb wrote: »
    I’d refuse the medal..

The best man was Jacob. The infringement was not deliberate and hardly changed the result..

The infringement was all his own doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Sacksian wrote: »
    Heats for the 3000m are up:

https://liveresults.european-athletics.com/en/results/athletics/daily-schedule-date=2021-03-06.htm

Lewandowski listed in H2 with Tobin + Ingebrigtsen listed in H3 with Fay. Could see Jakob running, but probably not Lewandowski.

jacob could probably do with the race right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Jakob Ingebrigtsen: "The rules are on my side, there is a paragraph saying if you're pushed to the inside of the curb and it's not your fault, it's OK ...

"If it's upheld and I lose the gold, I guess I'll just go home… because the 1500 was my main goal."

https://twitter.com/Vinc_Guyot/status/1367956026423644166

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Jakob Ingebrigtsen: "The rules are on my side, there is a paragraph saying if you're pushed to the inside of the curb and it's not your fault, it's OK ...

"If it's upheld and I lose the gold, I guess I'll just go home… because the 1500 was my main goal."

https://twitter.com/Vinc_Guyot/status/1367956026423644166

Except it was his fault. He tried to push his way through and he was forced off when the Pole resisted.

He needs to stop throwing a tantrum, get on with it and learn. He’s played very close to the rules over the years and someone wasn’t having it. It’s a clear pattern of behaviour whereby he believes he’s entitled to be wherever he wants to be when that’s not how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭4Ad

Faugheen wrote: »
    Except it was his fault. He tried to push his way through and he was forced off when the Pole resisted.

He needs to stop throwing a tantrum, get on with it and learn. He’s played very close to the rules over the years and someone wasn’t having it. It’s a clear pattern of behaviour whereby he believes he’s entitled to be wherever he wants to be when that’s not how it works.

Totally agree, he seems to do alot of pushing, I posted the same yesterday.
    Came back to bite today..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Rumour is his disqualification has been overturned on appeal and he's reinstated as 1500m indoor champ.

Edit: Confirmed

"Ingebrigtsen immediately filed an appeal. It was taken into account, and Ingebrigtsen thus still gets the European Championship gold. This is confirmed by the athletics association to NRK."

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Jakob reinstated!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Rumour is his disqualification has been overturned on appeal and he's reinstated as 1500m indoor champ.

Tbh, I don't like seeing people win when they've been soundly beaten, as much as I admire Lewandowski.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭hurdles1

Lovely tribute to Jerry kiernan on RTE 2 tonigh. Rob Heffernan big addition to the panel but overall dissapointing from such great athletes
    Derval going on about how great Irish athletes were doing and the number of medal chance they had. I dont know what racing she was watching ... they only have one chance of a medal now Phil Healy in tommorrow final.
    Shes had luck with lane draw and had the easier of 3 semi finals. Bit more difficult tommorrow lane 4 trickier and her main rival for bronze klaver directly behind herin lane 3. Klaver likes to lead and will try lead at the bell , Boll and Swiety will be happy to sit in 2nd cand 3rd and pass her on the back straight. BOL go on to win swiety 2nd and Healy and klaver fighting it out for 3rd... or another senario of 4 of them fighting for positions at the bell and carnage....
    Like Nadia power and has had some season but looked all out in the heat after a tough few weeks racing travelling etc. Hope she makes final but will be tough.
    Rest of 800m girls dissapointing siofhra especially tactically very poor. In slowly run championship races you have to be on the leaders shoulder or take it on and at least go down fighting.

Faugheen wrote: »

That's bull. Tantrum because he appealed what was rightly a bogus call, and one that cost him a gold medal?

Watch the video.....there were two of them very close and there was some jostling. This happens in races, and more so when the track is indoors with less space.

Jacob was pushed off to the side and that was it....race continued and he won

Absolute disgrace that he was disqualified here

And delighted the winner rightly reinstated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Hamachi

hurdles1 wrote: »
    .. they only have one chance of a medal now Phil Healy in tommorrow final.
    Shes had luck with lane draw and had the easier of 3 semi finals. Bit more difficult tommorrow lane 4 trickier and her main rival for bronze klaver directly behind herin lane 3. Klaver likes to lead and will try lead at the bell , Boll and Swiety will be happy to sit in 2nd cand 3rd and pass her on the back straight. BOL go on to win swiety 2nd and Healy and klaver fighting it out for 3rd... or another senario of 4 of them fighting for positions at the bell and carnage...

I think Phil’s best chance for bronze is to get to the break second behind Klaver. She’ll need to run low 24:xx to achieve that. She has better 200m speed than Bol and Swiety, so this should be doable. The other two will almost certainly pass her on the back straight of the second lap. Hopefully, Phil can then pass a fading Klaver in the final 50m for bronze.

I have my fingers crossed for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Travers in action in the 3K heat now on BBC2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hamachi wrote: »
    I think Phil’s best chance for bronze is to get to the break second behind Klaver. She’ll need to run low 24:xx to achieve that. She has better 200m speed than Bol and Swiety, so this should be doable. The other two will almost certainly pass her on the back straight of the second lap. Hopefully, Phil can then pass a fading Klaver in the final 50m for bronze.

I have my fingers crossed for her.

I doubt Klaver will get to the break first from lane 3.

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Travers in action in the 3K heat now on BBC2

Was he in heat 1?

He fell off the pace alarmingly in the last couple of laps.....not sure what his form or expectations were coming into this tbh

Sean Tobin now

Is Tobin the lad that was beaten on the line by Paul Robinson a few months ago in Morton Stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

walshb wrote: »
    Sean Tobin now

Is Tobin the lad that was beaten on the line by Paul Robinson a few months ago in Morton Stadium?

He was indeed. Some race https://youtu.be/XtsPqWFaXOE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Fast heat, great to see a PB from Tobin

Tobin ran very well. Strong and committed and comfy...

Just not strong enough to creep to 3rd..

Ingebrittsen and the Belgian lad fist bumping as they crossed the line a couple of yards ahead of the Dutch fella who led all the way around....haven't seen anything like that before in a race tbh.

Can't warm to Ingebrittsen at all....a very talented athlete for sure but something unlikeable about him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I doubt Klaver will get to the break first from lane 3.

She’s by far the fastest 200m runner in the race.

She and her coach describe the way she runs 400m indoors as ‘controlled suicide’.

Advertisement