Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Here's hoping it's a sign that Tesla are planning on a better site for Dublin. Maybe now they can add demand from non-tesla owners it justifies a larger site.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

This may be a stupid question, but what do Tesla get out of opening up their chargers, apart from pissing off Tesla owners even more? Are they getting a big cut of the electricity used?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Couple of reasons

More utilisation of their sites

Brand exposure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Some sites are under used the vast majority of the time. They are expensive sites to roll out. They may also have received EU funding for some newer sites and a condition of that is they must be open. Prices for non tesla users are higher and musk said before he wants to drive EV uptake even if non tesla. Many non tesla EV drivers may pick Tesla for next car and as Tesla does no paid adverts it's good for non Tesla drivers to meet Teslas at superchargers. The funding and demand may make rolling out a real nationwide network possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I think if Tesla gets EU or Irish taxpayer funding for certain sites it's only fair that those ones are opened to all. It's also only fair that they maximise the number of stalls at these sites

Somebody on Facebook was saying that Tesla has confirmed to the owners association that the Irish Times article is incorrect and only Athenry and Enfield are open-to-all for the foreseeable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

That article showed for me and I only have a free subscription, so not paywalled. Copyright infringement, even of poor journalism, is not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Money,

The end.

The notion that tesla like any other large company have some affiliation to existing customers is sadly misplaced. As can be seen from their major and multiple price cuts. They are only in the game to sell sell sell and getting more use out of chargers is part of that. $$$$

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There is nothing to say Tesla received Gov funding for Irish SuC sites

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭innrain

good luck in opening Sandyford in current state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭sh81722

How about a site of 8 stalls installed somewhere nearby and make it better for everybody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

"Tesla has confirmed to the owners association that the Irish Times article is incorrect and only Athenry and Enfield are open-to-all for the foreseeable"

Yep, as a non Tesla driver just downloaded the app! Enfield and Athenry only two sites showing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

you should ask Tesla who sent out a press release saying 50% of chargers will be opened up and then several hours later said er sorry, we got that wrong, it’s two sites in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

It would appear to be about money.

1. The more utilisation of a site, the more money Tesla are earning from it.
    2. Subscription Revenue: If Tesla can pick up a bunch of people who don't own a Tesla car but subscribe to use the Superchargers at preferential rates, this is one that the financial markets really like - recurring revenue. All those €12.99 per month can add up.
    3. Possible grants / government subsidies: I'm not sure how many of these Tesla would get (especially in Ireland), but opening up the Supercharger network may qualify them for additional government supports (i.e. Free Money for the Infrastructure they already had installed).

For the consumer:

1. For Non-Tesla owners, it can increase options for fast chargers that meet a fairly decent level for quality
    2. For Tesla owners, it can mean an increased wait time at certain locations (although I like how there have already been good examples of 'good neighbours' using the charger wisely for cars with the charging port in the 'wrong' place)
    3. For everyone: We can hope that the increased earnings from the Supercharger network would lead to a further expansion of the network. But, there's no guarantee that'll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

All well and good talking about SuC expansion in Ireland.

However we'd all do well to remember who has to commission the chargers and connect them to the grid. A separate company who aren't exactly renowned for their speed and efficiency.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This is why I think all the planned sites disappeared from the map a few months ago.... I reckon Tesla have a few sites lined up, but are probably on a 12-18 month waiting list to get the sites connected up to the grid... so whats the point in announcing, or even building sites that could be left sitting idle for 1+ years awaiting connection to the grid... because it's not a good look!

Athenry was installed and running for almost 18 months before the other 4 units there were finally turned on.... so these are the levels of lead times we are dealing with with ESBN...

I was there a few weeks back, waited 5 minutes for a stall to open and charged from 28-85 in 15 minutes... So technically you could argue it was a 20 minute wait

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭innrain

I'm not in any way against opening it. I think it will be a frustrating experience for both Tesla and non-Tesla owners. As you can see in the picture above you're lucky if you don't queue between 8am - 8pm. Imagine adding cars with the port on the wrong side in the mix. The place is very tight and any carelessness could lead to troubles.

I think there are some deliveries happening atm so lots of new drivers making sure they have enough juice to get home. I don't think charging time is counted as waiting time.

Yeah but the app said it would be a 20 minute wait

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Castlebellingham should have been the pilot site, essentially 16 stalls with very little use

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Southbound I would say yes, but Northbound I would say no, as the configuration of it means 2 VW's could essentially occupy 50% of the site if 1 parks on each side.

Southbound layout means it's less likely to happen, and I also reckon you could park up behind the stalls and still make a cable 'blocked' by a VW fit...

• Advertisement

5 cars charging there this afternoon at 3. 2 left and were quickly filled by another 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭wassie

I experienced my first SuC sh!tshow yday at Athenry yday afternoon.

Out of 8 stalls only 5 were available, all of which were occupied. Had a 17 minute wait.

• 1 middle stall out of action - nothing can do there.
    • 3 stalls occupied by Teslas.
    • 2 stalls occupied by VW ID3 & ID4 on opposite sides of each other.

3 Tesla's (including myself) waiting to charge but unable to use the stalls adjacent to VWs, so they were empty.

Personally I am not against the opening up of SuCs as a principle of making EV charging more accessible on this island.

But at peak times, this now effectively reduces the available number of chargers at SuCs.

If they are to open up to all, then bays or cables should be modified to facilitate this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Longer cables is all that’s needed to sort as a short term solution. Maybe relay your recent experience to Tesla Ireland/UK ?

I would have taken a photograph and emailed the picture to Tesla.

There's been a lot of bother in England with cars "blocking" a charger because their charging port is on the "wrong' side.

It's not the fault of the drivers of other marques, but Tesla need to consider this going forward. If enough Tesla owners start to make a fuss it might make them sit up and take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭denismc

The problem with the Tesla chargers is you are getting Ionity charging speeds at ESB prices.

If you have a car that can charge at the higher speeds then it makes sense to charge at the Tesla chargers rather than the slower ESB ones.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Tesla have considered the situation that causes Tesla vehicles to block other brands from charging at superchargers, the V4 chargers solve for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭eagerv

Anyone know if the toilets are open at Sandyford at around 6pm? Have an airport run later, might be a handy break for a few kWh..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

pretty sure they close at 5, standard office hours mon-fri and couple hours saturday was my understanding.

Didn’t they have a sign up almost a year ago that a ‘24 hour lounge’ would be coming soon.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭gammon199

Advertisement