Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Was in Birdhill on Sat around 2pm and queued for a about 10 mins to get on. Couldn't get the first charger to connect when someone pulled away. Quickly moved to one a few down and connected straight away when someone else moved on. Preconditioned as soon as I left Limerick so about 20 mins of driving, not long enough I know. Car was at 30% ish and only pulled 21kw to 22kw in the 7 or 8 mins I waited before I got pi**ed off and left to head to Killaloe. Used an Ecars one on Sunday and pulled 48kw so assuming a charger issue coz it was so busy...

Any thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

precondition the car. I assume you have an LFP car? These can need 1hr+ to get the best speeds. They dont like the cold.

Yep, Model Y. I did throw into the Sat Nav that I was heading to the Zoo so it would precondition for the 20 mins to get to Birdhill but would have expected more than 21 kw or is this normal for this time of year. Just to confirm there is no manual precondition button that I haven't come across it has to be "fooled" via the Sat Nav

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The zoo? You should have put the supercharger into the satnav. If it was Dublin Zoo the preconditioning might not have started yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Redfox25

When you put zoo in, did the car add birdhill and start preconditioning?

It's pretty loud and tells you it's doing it.

Lfp takes time to warm up buy 22kw is very low, did the car say it was warming up while charging?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

20 minutes of pre-conditioning is nothing...

Last February I left North County Dublin for Cork, and the car started pre-conditioning before I even left my estate some 142km and 1hr 36min drive away!! and mine is a non LFP battery (which performs better than LFP in cold).

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jog501

I got the same at Birdhill on Monday after 1.5 hours of driving including 40 minutes of preconditioning. Got 40kw max at a 100kw ESB charger over the weekend also. Both from about 20% SOC. 2019 M3 SR+, I've opened a ticket for remote diagnostics to see if there is an issue with the battery or BMS.

To add to the above I've done plenty of cold superchargering with little to no preconditioning and always got above 100kw from similar SOC's. Maybe the latest update is throttling the older M3's?..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Birdhill is V2 so power is shared, now that the SuC are being fully occupied I wonder was there a power issue? I do accept very little preconditioning but even still you should have got a lot more than that charge rate, at least double

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

powersharing on V2 is 75kW each side now. (it used to be max 130kW to the first plugged in car and then give more to car 2 as car 1 tapered but this has not been the case for some time)

• Advertisement

If it was full I would understand the slow charging to an extent but the stalls were empty when I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

The first step in diagnosing the issue you have to change the stall. For V2 jump to a different number if possible. Even it is resolved log in the issue with Tesla so they know there is a problem.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Looks like it truly is a cold day in Hell. Newly opened and accessible to Irish non-tesla drivers :)

V4 too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭wassie

I would of left it on charge. It will continue to warm the up battery which would of improved the charge rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Sorry to butt in, ID3 driver here but a journey coming up has a stop at (https://www.tesla.com/findus/location/supercharger/enfieldiesupercharger)below, and says open to "This Supercharger is open to Tesla vehicles and Non-Tesla vehicles with CCS compatibility"

How does a non Tesla go about this, payment, things to be aware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

Download the Tesla charging app. Should be very straightforward, don't think anything to be aware of..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Conar

One of the things I've found very handy about the Tesla is the superchargers and availability.

Is this gonna change as more Teslas are sold and other cars can use them? I was at Enfield last week and it was pretty busy for the 1st time since I started using it (since August). I had, selfishly, kinda hoped it wouldn't be opened up to non tesla drivers.

Obviously not saying jogdish shouldn't be using them, just thinking out loud about how increased demand may change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭wassie

Enfield has times it gets busy, but the wait has never been more than 10 mins. Also the AG upgrades down the road and the Kinnedgad Plaza will help offset the increase in demand.

TBH I dont mind the opening up of SuC if it leads to more competition and chargers, but its the blocking of chargers due to LH/RH charging configurations which will be frustrating.

I was at Enfield Friday late afternoon, 5 of us charging, all Tesla

• Advertisement

It definitely started to precondition as soon as I put in the Zoo. Battery was low anyway and it added Birdhill as the stop. It continued to warm up while I was charging but I ran out of patience and disconnected. I used a 50KW ESB Ecar one on Sunday and and it pulled 48kw straight away.

Just on that low charging rate post from last week, I stopped by Enfield Friday as a sort of test of charging to be expected. 221 M3 RWD

Straight run to the smoke with 10minute stop at destination so about 1hr45min driving +speed limits, then half hour to Enfield and I started preconditioning 20minutes before arrival time.

Battery temp was 29degrees before preconditioning started, preconditioning brought battery inlet temp to 61.5degrees and 560RPM, battery got up to 39.8degrees by the time I arrived at Enfield.

SOC was 43%, straight to 151kW and stayed there for a few minutes. I charged for exactly 10minutes. Charge rate was 84kW when I ended, 72% SOC. Took 17kWh in 10minutes and not far off a third of a tank from a highish starting SOC so very happy with that. Splash and dash.

I know yours is a model Y but same battery and software

Sounds like either an issue with your car on Superchargers or with the supercharger itself. Worth reporting anyway I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

With the Y LFP I got more at 98% without precond at a non-Tesla charger. Defo a charger issue. 33kW at 98% is pretty sweet

Issue with the charger so. Be sure to report next time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,704 ✭✭✭✭josip

Another cracking piece of journalism.

who leads off with..

"More than half of Tesla’s Irish Superchargers will now be available to non-Tesla owners"

and concludes with...

"Will they be mollified by the fact that the majority of Supercharger points are still Tesla-only?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

“Tesla currently has nine Supercharging locations in Ireland, and five of these — Dublin, Cork, Athenry, Enfield and Tralee — will now be opened to all EV drivers, encompassing 18 individual Supercharger connections.”

Does the IT know what other sites are to open (apart from Athenry and Enfield) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭CivilEx

If I was a betting man (and I'm not), I expect the IT do know this because they have checked it with Tesla directly before writing the article.

We should expect Dublin, Cork and Tralee to soon open up to non Tesla owners. As of this evening, I'm still only seeing Athenry and Enfield as available in the app though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,186 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Paywall removed:

https://archive.ph/trA0O

Josip, linking a story behind a paywall for discussion isn’t cool, copy and paste it into archive.ph to remove the paywall, then link it so that everyone can read/discuss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Not a hope they open Dublin. The majority of time you are queuing (as a Tesla driver) at any time of the day.

Advertisement