Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Supercharger network in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It was an ID.4 actually. Posted on Facebook.

he’s very cleverly parked in a non EV space as had he parked in the last pained EV space, he’d have had to use the charger to the left, and then the one he actually used wouldn’t be able to be used by a Tesla… (but yea another ID. Would be able to use it parked in the space he’s in…) But nonetheless it’s to be commended….

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Possibly, there was a question asked in the AG thread a while ago as to whether Castlebellingham and Birdhil (among others) are regarded as AG sites or NTA sites, there might be a requirement to have at least 2 charge operators at each site for competition purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭denismc

Does anyone know the number of the chargepoint being used in the photo?

Would be useful to know if I am visiting Athenry and need to charge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The tenders for the M1 sites likely don't have any obligation for EV charging the contracts were issued in 2009. The operators were given a 25-year concession to run the site under tranche 1 (Lusk, Castlebellingham and Enfield)

We can see the evidence from Lusk (same contract) that there was no obligation for muliple charging operators. The simple suggestion for me would be that eCars agreement reach the end a 10-year period and was not renewed. The Supercharger agreement started later and is likely to finish later. I'd expect that to be far more likely than a PPP contract from 2009 being forward looking enough to require competition in the charging space but not at all sites.

As far as I know the tranche 2 (Gorey, Athlone and Kilcullen) sites (July 2018) were all set up with EV charging from early on. I expect there's something in the contract to require EV provision. 2 of the 3 sites in tranche 2 have multiple operators, but again I think that's just down to CircleK being more agnostic as an organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wassie

It was the closest bay to the entrance of the charging area, so could that could be the reason also, as it is unlikely that all 8 bays were close to being full.

Doesn't really matter which unit you use. there are 8 of them there. use whats available, but if you arrive to an empty site, you could do as the car above did (depending on your own car of course), and cause the least disruption to any other cars that might arrive..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I have a Tesla, herself has a Kona, we both have the Tesla owner app as joint drivers, what I'm asking is is there a rate for me to charge the Kona? e.g. is it the non-subscription rate or the subscription rate or the Tesla rate.

Obviously I could ask Tesla but would likely get 6 different answers.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

What does the app say?

Tap your account picture, and then scroll across until you see the new 'Charge your Non Tesla' button..

• Advertisement

Looks like you still have to join to get a better rate for your non Tesla…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭zg3409

See this post for non Tesla's using Tesla app, your app probably has this option already.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Oh now I get you.

Charging a non tesla is the same, regardless of if you have another car thats a tesla or not.

Only realised this but as a Tesla owner I also have the option to charge a non-tesla on my account through the app anywhere in Europe. Handy for family members who couldn't be bothered with the account

Prices are 20c-24c higher than owners and subscribers. Subscription is €13/month with no minimum term so if you charge 54-65kWh/month it's worth non-owners subscribing

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I see that the prices in Enfield are now €0.57/€0.64 (they were €0.51/€0.57). Athenry is now €0.61/€0.68 (they were €0.56/€0.62).

That's approx a 10% increase since the 8th Dec when they initially opened to non Tesla owners?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Sorry, I’m late to this thread and perhaps this has already been answered.

Is the Tesla supercharger site in Mahon Point Cork open to non Tesla’s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Redfox25

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭mun1

Athenry Still showing up as 0.42/0.46 for tesla owners , so only non tesla prices increased. I would expect the differential between tesla/non tesla to increase during peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

So that means that there is €0.22/kWh between the peak Tesla rate and ESB / Applegreen (€0.68/kWh), similarly there is €0.27/kWh difference with Ionity (€0.73/kWh).

If we take a 50kW charging session (say 10% to 80%), a Tesla owner is paying €11 more at ESB / Applegreen or €13.50 more at Ionity over and above SuC prices in each DC fast charging session? That seems like a lot to me.

If I was a Tesla owner, I wouldn't be charging anywhere other than a Tesla SuC unless I was really stuck.

• Advertisement

I went Dublin - Waterford - Dublin on Sunday and used Applegreen & ESB…

I could have used the supercharger in Ballacolla but it would have added a lot of time and distance to my journey (not to mention the amount of road I’d need to drive on that wasn’t motorway….) so for the sake of the extra few quid, it’s easily worth going the direct route on the M9 and avoiding the Supercharger.

Non-tesla membership rates are still the same, it's only the non-member prices that have increased. Tesla trying to sell the monthly membership I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'd also never detour to an SuC, the price differential isn't really worth it in reality. Often you're just getting a top up to get to your destination/home. The only time I've ever been really aware of the price differential was when we missed our charge at the SuC in Calais (35c) and had to use Ionity on the M20 (75p) and we took on board over 70kWh. But then I remembered how much we paid for the car and how much we used to spend on diesel and it again didn't matter.

Another example of common sense parking by a non Tesla at the Athenry Supercharger…..

you’d almost think that these spaces (this and the one the ID.4 was spotted in the other day) should get painted up as EV spaces for cars with rear right charge ports on them…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Thanks for checking that and confirming. It makes sense, I suppose as it means that non-tesla drivers are also contributing to the rollout of Superchargers.

I do like like that you can subscribe on a month-to-month basis, rather than an annual sub. Makes it attractive on a Netflix-style of subscribing.

Exactly, and the monthly subscription would be handy for doing any road trips to the continent as don’t forget that now Ireland is part of the Supercharging opening, it means an Irish Tesla account holder can use any of the opened sites across Europe… (they already could by setting the country to the host country, but now it’s just a lot cleaner with an Irish account).

More common sense parking in Athenry…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭denismc

You seem surprised that non-Tesla drivers have intelligence! 🤔😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Redfox25

You seem surprised that some non-Tesla drivers have intelligence!

Fixed that for you.

:)

• Advertisement

That SuC location in Athenry pictured above is really strange. You almost feel like you are taking a short cut through a private housing estate to get to it, where you are expecting a child to run out in front of you chasing a football when driving in.

Depending which bay you then take, you are almost looking into someone's living room when charging.

Advertisement