Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason 2021 - Trades, Free Agency, QB Carousel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

adrian522 wrote: »
    Not sure why they'd release him. They have the cap space to keep both and I'd imagine they will roll with Jimmy starting to begin the season.

Schefter's source at the Niners said he's staying which is probably the best thing to do.

"Jimmy is here to stay. He's our guy this year."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So Miami have gained a 2023 first round pick and a 2021 second round pick for moving down 3 spots in the draft? Seems like good business from their point of view.

Obviously they hold SF 2022 pick instead of their own but we don't know yet which of those will be more valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Oat23 wrote: »
    Schefter's source at the Niners said he's staying which is probably the best thing to do.

I think that'll be the case, unless Lawrence crazily dropped to them - both Wilson or Fields (or any other QBs) could do with at least part of the season to get up to speed. Kyles scheme is very hard to master as well. If someone comes in with a good offer then I can see their heads turning.

That being said, that is the type of leak they'd slip out either way. They'd be idiots to depress the trade market for Jimmy by saying they plan to cut him if they cant find a trade partner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭letowski

Good moves by both the 49ers and Dolphins.

At the end of the day, you haven’t got choice but to pay a premium for a rookie franchise QB if your roster is as good as the 49ers.

Miami did excellently out of the Texans trade and are perfectly set up for the future to inject young talent every year into their team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Good move by all of them really. Dolphins likely have someone in mind - maybe one of Smith, Chase, Pitts or the offensive tackle whose name I can't spell or pronounce - and are guaranteed them at 6.

Philly think they have their QB in Hurts, haven't dropped down too far and also get to add 2 first round talents next year also.

Everybody wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Delighted with that from the eagles. If the wentz pick comes through that's 3 first rounders next year

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Twitter says that the Eagles also wanted to trade up to 3 but would only do so if Wilson was available so would only make that trade on draft day.

I agree though, this was a good day for the eagles, they will have plenty of time to improve their roster before looking for a QB.

I don't think Hurts looked any worse in his limited starting role than Lamar Jackson for example did in his rookie season. Seems strange they'd be looking to draft a QB again already.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't think Hurts looked any worse in his limited starting role than Lamar Jackson for example did in his rookie season. Seems strange they'd be looking to draft a QB again already.
    If you build a team around Hurts he might do ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

The decision by the 49ers to trade up to 1.3 was driven by the scandal around Watson. It is clear that Lynch and the 49ers decided that they wanted nothing to do with him irrespective of the outcome of the scandal - and I respect them for that. I hope the Broncos adopt a similar approach.

The Eagles actually wanted to trade to 1.2 because they wanted Wilson and they wouldn't go to 1.3 because they wouldn't be sure that that Wilson would be there. This indicates that the Jets will take Wilson. It is distinctly possible that QBs go in the first 4 picks, depending on what the Falcons do - either take a QB to groom to replace Ryan - or trade down. It is also probably that the Dolpins could take Mac Jones or trade back down again to another QB needy team. If there is a QB available at 1.7 I could see the Loins trade down and it is unlikely that any of the top 5 QBs would get to the Broncos at 1.9. There will be some silly resources thrown around in all these potential trades.

Again - the Watson scandal has driven these moves - and the fall out is likely that it will take many teams out of the lottery for Watson. It has been a disaster for the Texans who were plannin on moving Watson before the draft - but the Texans are a basketcase since they appointed BOB. I think Watson is a busted flush - or at least should be - but given the prevalence of misogyny in the NFL and the over-riding drive to make profits, the Texans could be stuck with him or someone may bite on Watson for a significantly reduced price and it will do whichever team he ends up with serious long-term damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I really hope we don't take a QB now unless.one falls to us.

The price to jump is too high now.

There'll be an LB on the board at 1.9 so we should take them.

The decision by the 49ers to trade up to 1.3 was driven by the scandal around Watson. It is clear that Lynch and the 49ers decided that they wanted nothing to do with him irrespective of the outcome of the scandal - and I respect them for that. I hope the Broncos adopt a similar approach.

The Eagles actually wanted to trade to 1.2 because they wanted Wilson and they wouldn't go to 1.3 because they wouldn't be sure that that Wilson would be there. This indicates that the Jets will take Wilson. It is distinctly possible that QBs go in the first 4 picks, depending on what the Falcons do - either take a QB to groom to replace Ryan - or trade down. It is also probably that the Dolpins could take Mac Jones or trade back down again to another QB needy team. If there is a QB available at 1.7 I could see the Loins trade down and it is unlikely that any of the top 5 QBs would get to the Broncos at 1.9. There will be some silly resources thrown around in all these potential trades.

Again - the Watson scandal has driven these moves - and the fall out is likely that it will take many teams out of the lottery for Watson. It has been a disaster for the Texans who were plannin on moving Watson before the draft - but the Texans are a basketcase since they appointed BOB. I think Watson is a busted flush - or at least should be - but given the prevalence of misogyny in the NFL and the over-riding drive to make profits, the Texans could be stuck with him or someone may bite on Watson for a significantly reduced price and it will do whichever team he ends up with serious long-term damage.

I doubt the Falcons take a QB that high. They restructured Ryan's contract so they can't really move on from it. I'd say they'll try to take one more run with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

nerd69 wrote: »
    Delighted with that from the eagles. If the wentz pick comes through that's 3 first rounders next year

Note the date and time of this nerd because I may be just being overly pessimistic but I can see the upcoming season being a rough one.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Note the date and time of this nerd because I may be just being overly pessimistic but I can see the upcoming season being a rough one.

I expected it to be rough anyway to be honest but we may have 3 first rounders next year that's huge for a retool (if you ignore our ****ty draft history I suppose) I'm.not sure whoever we got at 6 vs 12 was going to change that

I expected it to be rough anyway to be honest but we may have 3 first rounders next year that's huge for a retool (if you ignore our ****ty draft history I suppose) I'm.not sure whoever we got at 6 vs 12 was going to change that

Not to rub salt in the wounds but I'd have you guys closer to a rebuild than a retool. Those picks will come in handy and were a great move to make, presuming Dolphins don't flip your former pick for even more on draft night if a QB falls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

Excuse my ignorance but are these qbs worth it. With all the moves you would nearly swear the qb class is as good as the 1983 class. Im not that old just seen a documentary on it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Lots of teams are in dire need of a QB and are starting to get twitchy. That's what you're seeing here.

cosatron wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but are these qbs worth it. With all the moves you would nearly swear the qb class is as good as the 1983 class. Im not that old just seen a documentary on it

Lawrence has been touted as a potential first overall pick since high school, so I'd say he's probably the highest rated since Andrew Luck. He's had a bit of a cult following since then.

The rest are the usual QBs who have only received draft buzz since the college season ended.

The attraction is the opportunity of getting a very good QB on a cheap rookie contract and being able to spend your savings elsewhere for 3 or 4 years if you're lucky.

Lots of teams are in dire need of a QB and are starting to get twitchy. That's what you're seeing here.

I'm surprised at lynch to be honest. Does he honestly believe adding a rookie qb is going to get them back to the superbowl, if he was going all in, they should've went after stafford

Lawrence has been touted as a potential first overall pick since high school, so I'd say he's probably the highest rated since Andrew Luck. He's had a bit of a cult following since then.

The rest are the usual QBs who have only received draft buzz since the college season ended.

The attraction is the opportunity of getting a very good QB on a cheap rookie contract and being able to spend your savings elsewhere for 3 or 4 years if you're lucky.

I seen Lawrence in action and he is impressive but the others will need time

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Not to rub salt in the wounds but I'd have you guys closer to a rebuild than a retool. Those picks will come in handy and were a great move to make, presuming Dolphins don't flip your former pick for even more on draft night if a QB falls

Ya I wouldn't argue to much with that either tbh the last few drafts have been very very poor and it's telling our talent is now ageing unfortunately. Still 12 is a nice spot someone unexpected often falls around there and we're in a position where we can take pretty much any position.

I'm surprised at lynch to be honest. Does he honestly believe adding a rookie qb is going to get them back to the superbowl, if he was going all in, they should've went after stafford

They have built a fantastic roster now they get to keep that surrounding a rookie qb with one of the better coaches in the league to qb under. I think for there specific situation fields for example would be excelent. The offence means reads are not to complicated and you don't have to throw guys open every play. Add to that a bit if mobility and I wouldn't like to be scheming against them

They have built a fantastic roster now they get to keep that surrounding a rookie qb with one of the better coaches in the league to qb under. I think for there specific situation fields for example would be excelent. The offence means reads are not to complicated and you don't have to throw guys open every play. Add to that a bit if mobility and I wouldn't like to be scheming against them

I think Shanahan offence is quite complex, it took Matt ryan a season to come to terms with and rodgers a season aswell with lefluer. So it's going to take a season or 2 to get to grips with it and in the mean time the good roster will be looking for new contracts

I think Shanahan offence is quite complex, it took Matt ryan a season to come to terms with and rodgers a season aswell with lefluer. So it's going to take a season or 2 to get to grips with it and in the mean time the good roster will be looking for new contracts

It is complex but with a mobile guy it is a lot easier for Kyle to make it much more basic for their year 1 and build from there, like plays to scheme guys open and if they are covered then have an escape option to run. It is what you see a lot with rookie mobile QBs. Kyle got RG3 to a pro bowl in his first year, the game and defenses have moved on a lot since then but these rookie QBs are better passers than RG3.

There is however no pressure for the 49ers to do that due to them still having Garoppolo and lots of cap space to have him stay as QB for a year. If a team wants to offer them something enticing they can let him go, otherwise he can play next year and potential increase his value.

'Dire need' is quite hyperbolic.

49ers could have easily rolled with Garoppolo, who is a year removed from a Super Bowl appearance, but saw an opportunity to improve at the position while also cheaper - an opportunity that likely won't come along again for a while with the quality of their squad and coaching. There was only one team in last 20 years that was more injured than they were last season and they were a few narrow losses away from making the playoffs.

There are a few teams that are much more in 'dire need' of a QB so if they wanted to make the move they had to be aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Desean Jackson has signed with the rams and Nate Gerry is signing with the niners.

This is hilarious. A random guy on Reddit posted the following about 6 hours ago:
    Very random, as I’m a packers fan. I was just playing warzone with randoms, ended up with a female teammate. She had her mic on and I could hear her husband talking in the background about a “deal”. Then something was said about he would love to play in Pittsburgh. I tried to ask the girl for info but she felt a bit awkward when I asked if she could tell me who her husband was. All she would say was that it was her husband being loud in the background and that he’s an NFL player.

Anyways, he currently plays in Chicago (I did look up her gamertag which is linked to her twitch/IG and she is wearing bears gear in some pics). The last thing I heard was that if no one else calls within the next 30 minutes he’s gonna sign a 3 year deal in order to facilitate the trade because he would love to be in Pittsburgh. I know this is big speculation, but I heard what I heard.

Got the usual (and expected) skeptical replies, plenty of slagging etc. A few minutes later, he says he found out who it might be:
    I connected some dots on her social media pages that are linked to her twitch, it’s OT Rashaad Coward. Sorry not as exciting as I was hoping.

Then 3 hours later, Coward tweets the following:

https://twitter.com/RashaadCoward/status/1375927297891565570?s=19

He's either in on the joke, or a Redditor broke the news of a FA signing because of what he heard in the background of a teammate's headset playing Call of Duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Chiefs pick up former Seahawk Jarran Reed on a one-year deal, adds help to defensive line. Pat approves -

https://twitter.com/PatrickMahomes/status/1376325777646571520

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Chiefs pick up former Seahawk Jarran Reed on a one-year deal, adds help to defensive line. Pat approves -

https://twitter.com/PatrickMahomes/status/1376325777646571520

Another player to add to their list of having a history of domestic abuse. I love Mahomes and some of the characters on their team but the Chief's approach to these cases leaves a very bad taste.

Advertisement