Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason 2021 - Trades, Free Agency, QB Carousel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Sam Darnold traded to the Panthers. Jets get a 6th this year, 2nd and 4th rounders next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

That's decent business by the Jets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Seems reasonable for Darnold. Carolina is a good landing spot, hope it works out for him after a difficult start to his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well hopefully Sam darnold can get a restart of his career because Adam gase made a balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Sam Darnold traded to the Panthers. Jets get a 6th this year, 2nd and 4th rounders next year.

The best thing about this is we wont have to listen to the "will the Jets take a QB or stick with Darnold" ****e thats been going on for the last 3 months!

Happy for Sam though, getting out of NY was definitely the best play for him and he'll be teaming up with some familiar faces down in Carolina

Happy with what the Jets got for him as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

On paper, it's a good deal for the Panthers as Sam Darnold is only 23 and gets a fresh start but he really showed little to nothing at the Jets to get excited about whatsoever.

21 picks in the next two drafts for the Jets now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

VillaMad wrote: »
    On paper, it's a good deal for the Panthers as Sam Darnold is only 23 and gets a fresh start but he really showed little to nothing at the Jets to get excited about whatsoever.

21 picks in the next two drafts for the Jets now.

You have to take account of the contract into that though. Panthers guaranteed his 5th year option already at ~$19m. Best case for the Panthers he plays well this upcoming season to make the draft picks seem cheap but then they'll be paying him top end QB money. Worst case, he is a similar player to the Jets and he is costing you that money in 2022 and you're down picks trying to get a QB and build around him.

It is slightly better than I expected for Darnold but a decent trade for all sides given the risk.

I'm interested in what, if anything, it says about the draft. Does it mean they didn't like anyone outside of who they expect to go in the top 3 or was it just going to cost too much to move up?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,515 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Seems very cheap for Darnold. I honestly don't think the Jets needed a new QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

eagle eye wrote: »
    Seems very cheap for Darnold. I honestly don't think the Jets needed a new QB.

I think this move is about both sides moving on, which is the best for all concerned because it wasn’t working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Foxtrol wrote: »
    You have to take account of the contract into that though. Panthers guaranteed his 5th year option already at ~$19m. Best case for the Panthers he plays well this upcoming season to make the draft picks seem cheap but then they'll be paying him top end QB money. Worst case, he is a similar player to the Jets and he is costing you that money in 2022 and you're down picks trying to get a QB and build around him.

It is slightly better than I expected for Darnold but a decent trade for all sides given the risk.

I'm interested in what, if anything, it says about the draft. Does it mean they didn't like anyone outside of who they expect to go in the top 3 or was it just going to cost too much to move up?
    If Atlanta were shipping the no. 4 pick they were likely not taking calls from a division rival?

That or they only like the top 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Christy42 wrote: »
    If Atlanta were shipping the no. 4 pick they were likely not taking calls from a division rival?

That or they only like the top 3.

Probably, though most teams have a price on that kind of thing. Might potentially mean Falcons aren't budging for anyone, which could mean they're taking a QB - which is against what I felt they'd do.

At that point Panthers would be moving up for potentially their 5th choice QB and one of them is really not like the others so it would be a gamble. The way things shaped up Darnold is the safer option than rolling the dice at draft time. Probably means Bridgewater is on the move again and they could recoup some of what they gave for Darnold.

Itssoeasy wrote:
    I think this move is about both sides moving on, which is the best for all concerned because it wasn’t working.
    Who has it worked out for at the Jets in the last twenty two years since Woody Johnson bought them.
    Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith all had bad careers because they went to the Jets.
    Sam Darnold is a good QB held back by a organisation. It's a great move for the Panthers. And I said Bridgewater was a bad move by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Who has it worked out for at the Jets in the last twenty two years since Woody Johnson bought them.
    Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith all had bad careers because they went to the Jets.
    Sam Darnold is a good QB held back by a organisation. It's a great move for the Panthers. And I said Bridgewater was a bad move by them.

I don't necessarily disagree with your first point, but the players you've mentioned above didnt exactly go on to have stellar careers after leaving the Jets!

I've watched pretty much every snap Darnold has taken in the last 3 years and while he definitely has the tools to be successful he has been no where near consistent enough with the fundamental stuff and has regressed each year. I hope with some proper coaching and an actual QB coach he can get this stuff right, because I for one would love to see him succeed.

Also I dont think you can blame a GM/Coach that had nothing to do with drafting a certain QB, looking to go out and get there own player. Especially from the coaching side when they've only realistically got 1 season to evaluate him in their system

phatkev wrote:
    Also I dont think you can blame a GM/Coach that had nothing to do with drafting a certain QB, looking to go out and get there own player. Especially from the coaching side when they've only realistically got 1 season to evaluate him in their system
    I never mentioned head coaches or those involved in personnel decisions like a GM.
    The most critical person(s) at every franchise are the owners. The Johnson's are terrible owners. I have no idea how much they involve themselves in the draft or anything else but they obviously are not doing things right.
    Just in recent times I thought Todd Bowles had the potential to be a great head coach. He didn't look anything like the coach he'd been prior to going there. I'd liken Saleh to him but not just as good in my opinion but still looks like he should make an excellent HC. I expect it won't work out though.
    Mike LaFleur hasn't done anything to suggest he'll be good with a rookie QB. He worked with Garappolo as passing game co-ordinator. The niners were better known as a running team during his time there. What has Rob Calabrese done to give anybody confidence he can do well coaching a QB?
    We are talking about a franchise that had one winning season through three head coaches in the last ten years.
    I'm not blaming the head coaches for that although I thought Gase was a bad hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Edelman released by the Pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Chiefs trade for Orlando Brown of the Ravens.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1385670034110959630

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

VillaMad wrote: »
    Chiefs trade for Orlando Brown of the Ravens.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1385670034110959630

A 24-year-old OT who has back-to-back Pro Bowls to his name is a nice pick up. The line looks okay on paper now with Brown, Thuney, Blythe, Long and Duvernay-Tardif coming back. Mahomes will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Teddy Bridgewater traded to the Broncos for a 6th round pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I guess that's them out of the QB sweepstakes in Round 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

I guess that's them out of the QB sweepstakes in Round 1.

Is it? Does bridgewater for a 6th end your qb chase?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    A 24-year-old OT who has back-to-back Pro Bowls to his name is a nice pick up. The line looks okay on paper now with Brown, Thuney, Blythe, Long and Duvernay-Tardif coming back. Mahomes will be happy.

Reminds me of when the eagles trade for Jason peters and I was upset we lost our first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

nerd69 wrote: »
    Is it? Does bridgewater for a 6th end your qb chase?

I'd say it signals they like another position, or more likely, they fancy a nice bundle for a trade down if one of the 5 QBs is still on the board.

I'd say it signals they like another position, or more likely, they fancy a nice bundle for a trade down if one of the 5 QBs is still on the board.

I think they just saw value tbh I don't think they think he's their future

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That rumour has been circling a while and I wasn't a fan. But for a 6th? I mean, you can't go wrong there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

That rumour has been circling a while and I wasn't a fan. But for a 6th? I mean, you can't go wrong there.

Even better is the contract situation. Teddy gets paid 10 million next year with the Panthers footing 7 of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Christy42 wrote: »
    Even better is the contract situation. Teddy gets paid 10 million next year with the Panthers footing 7 of it.

Yup.

It's a win for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

nerd69 wrote: »
    I think they just saw value tbh I don't think they think he's their future
    I still think DEnver will draft a QB in the 1st round. I think its the end of Lock now, wonder if they release him if there is a Cap Hit or will they save money?

I still think DEnver will draft a QB in the 1st round. I think its the end of Lock now, wonder if they release him if there is a Cap Hit or will they save money?
    Cap hit is $1.9m but he only earns $1.3m so cutting him would be stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Cap hit is $1.9m but he only earns $1.3m so cutting him would be stupid.
    Looking at those figures, yep, it would be stupid.

Advertisement