Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offseason 2021 - Trades, Free Agency, QB Carousel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Bears released Fuller this evening and he signed with the Broncos around 30 mins later. I'm sure Fangio is delighted with how that has played out.

Sad to see him go.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1373386308417114115

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Oat23 wrote: »
    Bears released Fuller this evening and he signed with the Broncos around 30 mins later. I'm sure Fangio is delighted with how that has played out.

Sad to see him go.

madness cutting him

• Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

madness cutting him

Hey it means we get to sign Andy dalton!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Oat23 wrote: »

Sad to see him go.

I have been so giddy the last couple.of days when this became possible.

You have the Red Rifle I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Blut2

I'd love to hear some justification for the Bears signing Dalton (when they already had Foles) only to then cut Fuller for cap reasons. Has anyone read or heard any logical argument for it anywhere? Are they trying (very poorly) to go win now? If not, why bother signing Dalton?

Not even joking like - I can't wrap my head around it.

• Advertisement

Blut2 wrote: »
    I'd love to hear some justification for the Bears signing Dalton (when they already had Foles) only to then cut Fuller for cap reasons. Has anyone read or heard any logical argument for it anywhere? Are they trying (very poorly) to go win now? If not, why bother signing Dalton?

Cos Ryan Pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Broncos are a QB away from being a very good team. Along with Fuller they’re getting Courtland Sutton and Von Miller back from injury. Surely they can’t roll Lock out there again and waste another year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,830 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Blut2 wrote: »

I think we were on the hook for foles salary either way so unless we could get a trade we were always stuck with that. Which is, of course, testimony to how terrible pace is at making qb contracts, but anyway...they obviously felt they can't just proceed with foles since pace is surely on the verge of being fired without success this year.

My sense is that the hope was to get Wilson, which would have involved trading a huge bunch of picks and probably some starters like hicks and fuller. Dalton was probably a move in case that fell through (which it was always always always going to do) so now without Wilson the whole thing looks incredibly messy, restructuring mack indicates not rebuilding and looking to win now, getting rid of fuller to make room for dalton makes no sense in terms of winning now...so I dunno, it looks like plan A fell through and despite plan A being a pipe dream, they had no plan B. Which is entirely on message, and begs ongoing questions about keeping pace.

Anyway that's just my theory on what's happening, the alternative is that pace is acting like a brand new gm just settling the ship after a bad previous gm, but he's the bad previous gm. This would be really worrying because it indicates he's been given the reins for the longer term, not just an extra year to prove himself.

Tldr: ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Broncos are a QB away from being a very good team. Along with Fuller they’re getting Courtland Sutton and Von Miller back from injury. Surely they can’t roll Lock out there again and waste another year?

The Broncos have just resigned Kareem Jackson as well. Paton is absolutely killing FA - the Broncos defence is now

Miller, Harris, Purcell, Jones, Chubb
    Johnson, Jewell
    Darby, Simmons, Jackson, Fuller and Callahan in the slot.

And the offence is stacked as well

Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler and Patrick at WR
    Bolles, Risner, Cushenberry, Glasglow and Muti (James is due back at RT and if he doesn't pan out the Risner could move there)
    Fant and Albert O at TE.

The Broncos can go BPA all through the draft and I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade down (or multiple trade downs) to build draft capital.

Unfortunately it is not that easy to get a QB - and the QB carousel this off season proves that most teams are a mess at QB. The jury is still out on Lock - he has shown some flashes but the mistakes are bad. Maybe with a full pre-season working with Shurmur he will improve - by all accounts he is working is ass off every day in the Broncos facility. Personally I think he will end of having a career as a reliable back-up. The Broncos would have been prime candidates for Watson - but given his accused antics I don't want him in a Broncos uniform. I expect Paton to trade for Foles and see if Shurmur can get him back near his 2013 level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,670 ✭✭✭nerd69

Lions,panthers,broncos will all be trying to trade up for a qb I think the broncos are the best situation. Trey lance seems ideal for them because they can facilitate him like the Seahawks did with wilson or like the cowboys did with dak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Looks like Mariota is initially off the Quarterback carousel, he's reworked his contract with the Raiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Joe flacco has signed with the eagles on a one year $3.5 million deal which I’m happy with as unlike wentz flacco will help Jalen hurts and not have his ego hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Joe flacco has signed with the eagles on a one year $3.5 million deal which I’m happy with as unlike wentz flacco will help Jalen hurts and not have his ego hurt.

Same Flacco that sulked when the Ravens drafted Jackson?

By the end he grew into the role but it was obvious he wasn't happy about it, despite him being much more towards the tail end of his career than Wentz was.

nerd69 wrote: »
    Lions,panthers,broncos will all be trying to trade up for a qb I think the broncos are the best situation. Trey lance seems ideal for them because they can facilitate him like the Seahawks did with wilson or like the cowboys did with dak

Not sure I agree here. Wilson and Dak were later round picks, whereas we're talking here Lance being a top 10 pick, potentially one the Broncos trade up for.

Broncos are probably in worst position out of the three you listed for Lance to develop, as the others have more experienced starter level QBs in place so he has time to develop and guys to learn from - same could be said for the Falcons, 49ers, or Patriots. Lance will likely need the most time to develop out of the top rookies and there will be instant pressure to start him if Lock has the troubles we've seen early in the season.

I also think the Lions would be dumb to draft a QB. There team is still a mess so they'll be likely picking early again next year and even the following. No point in starting the cheap rookie QB clock earlier than you have to and have them get killed, especially if you have to trade picks to get the guy you want.

Massive trade. Niners going after a new QB now for sure.
    Filed to ESPN: Dolphins trading No. 3 overall pick to the San Francisco 49ers for the No. 12 pick, a 2021 third-round pick (SF’s comp pick for Robert Saleh hiring) and first-round picks in 2022 and 2023, per sources.

Blockbuster deal with massive ramifications for years to come.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1375493884323708931

Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Holy $hit. I never thought we would trade up to 3rd.
    This is massive news and I would expect there are some other behind the scenes deals going on based on this alone.

It has to be for a QB I would imagine Jimmy back to the pats if this happens.

Huge. They're clearly happy with any of the top 3 QBs on their board. I expect it is one of:

- Lawrence seen by many as one of the best to come out in years
    - Wilson perfectly fits their scheme
    - Fields has been in Kyle's QB camps so he has him well scouted

Doubt it will be Lance that high.

When they never redid Jimmy's contract it was obvious they were doing something - he can be cut or traded for no dead money. Despite that they still have $20m in space so they can keep Jimmy on for a year if they want their guy to sit or Jimmy refuses to take a trade.

Rookie QB will make extending Warner and Bosa so much easier.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Big News, I thought we'd be either staying at 12 and taking a corner back or else trading back and looking to accumulate some picks.

Not sure what this means to be honest. Presumably they have a guy in mind, assuming Zach Wilson is gone at pick 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

That's huge. I love a good ol' massive pre-draft trade.

You'd have to imagine it's Fields. Well, you don't have to, but that's what I think anyway.

• Advertisement

Looking at the cost, basically and extra first round pick that the Rams paid for an aging Stafford on a vet deal and what the Seahawks gave for a safety. Not going to complain aside from it making drafts the next 2 years quite boring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Looking at the cost, basically and extra first round pick that the Rams paid for an aging Stafford on a vet deal and what the Seahawks gave for a safety. Not going to complain aside from it making drafts the next 2 years quite boring

I'll be only too happy if we end up having the 32nd pick in the next 2 drafts ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Dolphins doubling down with Tua and opting to build around him rather than go again. Right decision I think. If they can draft well in the coming years with all these picks they should have one hell of a roster.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Miami turned Laremy Tunsil into 4 first round picks, a 2nd and a 3rd rounder.

Dolphins doubling down with Tua and opting to build around him rather than go again. Right decision I think. If they can draft well in the coming years with all these picks they should have one hell of a roster.

They could also turn those picks into Watson if they are ok with the media/NFL disciplinary risk (the ownership won't care about the former anyway being a Trump supporter).

Foxtrol wrote: »

First round picks are overrated if you don't have a QB to win with. They've obviously decided Jimmy G isn't at that level to lead the team to a superbowl win so trade whatever you have to get a guy you think can do it.

The Bears have repeatedly blown first round picks for most of the past 15 years. For the past 3 seasons in particular we've only had 2 of our own first round picks on the roster yet despite that they had managed to put together a team capable of winning a superbowl. If only we had the QB..

tl;dr First round picks suck and people should trade them for a QB they believe can be elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tippex wrote:
    It has to be for a QB I would imagine Jimmy back to the pats if this happens.
    We don't want your failure. Release him.

Not sure why they'd release him. They have the cap space to keep both and I'd imagine they will roll with Jimmy starting to begin the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,556 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The eagles have traded the sixth pick for the dolphins 12th pick which they’ve just gotten from the niners and other draft picks.

• Advertisement

Another trade :pac:
    Eagles traded their sixth to the Dolphins for No. 12 and their 2022 first-round pick. Teams also swapped mid-round picks -- Eagles' pick 156 for No. 123.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1375501638564110339

Advertisement