Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭ yagan

Tip toeing back towards May's original Backstop.

It is probably via the NIP that GB realigns with the single market. It will be a climb down and a severe loss of face but tragedy + time = comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭ Christy42

I am sure that it will be announced that the EU will follow British standards. Obviously these deals will be rubberstamped in Brussels and announced as EU regs to let the EU save face as Boris is merciful to his enemies. However it will all come from Boris and the mighty 52% saviours of democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭ tanko

Some kind of BRINO was always going to be the only workable solution, it’s just a matter of time until it happens, how much time who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭ breezy1985

We have heard so much nonsense about the "EU throwing us under the bus" I actually had to check to be sure this was satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭ yagan

The cost of living crunch looks more severe in Britain because of brexit so there is scope for economic alignment as a temporary measure which would give everyone a break from Brexit. But I can only see that sneaking in while there's a heave against Bojo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ wexfordman2

The irony of brits containing about malnutrition and able to afford basic food while the country exports wheat!!

Not something I would be in any way gleeful about, the stories if deprivation comming from the uk are horrible!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell

Wheat - exports from UK as wheat or flour? Is the wheat they export grown in the UK or imported?

UK wheat is not suitable for bread - it is too soft, and can only be used for Chorelywood bread - that nasty white sliced pan, sold in plastic bags by supermarkets that does not go stale before it goes mouldy.

How would a country export needed food when the poor citizens of the nation are going hungry?

Do they not remember an Gorta Mor?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,029 ✭✭✭✭ J Mysterio

Just as Truss is smashing all around her like a bull in a china shop, amused by this tweet from former British Ambassador Alexandra Hall(-Hall):

'Liz Truss has become a genuine expert'. It's breathtaking how this pernicious, lawbreaking UK government have the temerity to tell NI that they will legislate for NI to remove the protocol in their best intetests when the majority clearly favour the protocol.

Johnson did not meet the NI business groups when in Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ Grassey

"we must take the necessary decisions to preserve peace and stability"

The irony is strong on that one....

The decisons the UK made caused the issues, and rather than work with the other co-signatories and co-guarantors they need to be the white(red and blue) knight riding in to save the day...

It's mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭ Leroy42

So effectively, the UK is now banking on going to war with Russia to provide a way out of its Brexit problems.

They were blissfully unaware of the importance of one of their biggest ports and also can't find one of their provinces on a map so I wouldn't be delighted to be going to war with them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 26,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭ pixelburp

There's no "almost". This entire debacle has shone a light on this reality, and nobody is falling for it. The Brexit Ultras are believing their own hype that the EU is some fractious, chaotic entity that can't make decisions. They're finding out the hard way the truth of this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 29,704 CMod ✭✭✭✭ ancapailldorcha

In fairness, the closest thing the EU has to a tradition is its fondness for kicking the can down the road.

That said, while the UK did initially take the lead with Ukraine, it rapidly lost ground while the EU got its act together much, much more quickly than anyone dared hope. The Brits did send weapons but they just couldn't help but indulge in performative cruelty towards refugees. Meanwhile, Germany under a centre-left coalition u-turned on its entire foreign policy overnight.

The fact remains that the UK is and always was a supplicant to the EU once it voted for Brexit. It has no experience in negotiating trade deals and is a net importer for goods while being a net exporter for services.

Its not really fair to compare the speed of response from a single country compared to the entire EU.

I mean people say the EU were slow to react but try tell that to member states like Poland and Estonia down in ground zero of the refugee crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 29,704 CMod ✭✭✭✭ ancapailldorcha

I did point out that once the crisis was underway, the EU did act with remarkably unity. Baffling when you consider that Hungary is a member.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell

'Baffling when you consider that Hungary is a member.'

For the time being.

Peter Hitchens is apparently saying that England should secede from the Union. I actually think the UK breaking up is an excellent idea but I very much get the impression that this is all for some sort of mythical sovereignty that they know does not exist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Hermy

Given the dogs dinner they're making of leaving the EU one can only imagine what lies in store if they attempt to leave their own little union.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I mean, the UK is already England plus three satellite states. I'd say they'd ironically be in a strong position for negotiating but it'd cause massive instability. I don't think Welsh separatism is particularly strong politically. Plenty of Scots, probably a vocal minority would probably be up in arms as well.

It won't happen. Johnson is much too imperialistic to even premit a border poll in NI or a second IndyRef.

It's just more of the majority playing the victim nonsense.

Personally, I like the idea of a federalised UK on the lines of the German lander:

I do sympathise a bit with people in the north of England. They've been starved of investment for decades, never voted for it and they see the Scots getting both more spending per head and more separatist.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 26,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭ pixelburp

The idea of an independent, federalised England makes a tonne of sense, but immediately comes up against the mythological centuries of "tradition".

To be fair, England has historically been relatively stable, particularly when compared to the French. The less said about the literal hundreds of states and statelets of the erstwhile Holy Roman Empire, the better.

That said, it's funny how tradition and stability were jettisoned when it served Cameron and then Johnson to do so. Rees-Mogg might take pride in being the honorable member for the eighteenth century but only when it suits him.

• Advertisement

You all ready have the NUTS/ISL regions used for statistics which isnt far off that map.

For anyone complaining about Scotland and Wales getting a parliament this is the fair solution but would cause such a change to how voting works in the UK that I guarantee the same people will cry about it's implementation.

The true complaint behind all the English whingebaggery is that the conquered won't shut up and know their place like they used to

Advertisement