Advertisement
Private Profiles - an update on how they will be changing here
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 29,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭ ancapailldorcha

Aye. It says much that Johnson hid on the morning of the 24th June. Jeremy Corbyn was the first to call for the triggering of article 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭ breezy1985

Ha ya Corbyn secretly delighted he could let the true feelings show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭ peter kern

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 26,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭ pixelburp

Respectfully, but not going to read a 37 page PDF to understand how it relates as a reply to my own?

In other news, I see Lord Frost called Pelosi's comments "ignorant ... of the realities of Northern Ireland". These pillocks really haven't a clue who they shouldn't or shouldn't antagonise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭ BonnieSituation

Or here for that matter.

I'm so glad we pivoted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 29,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭ ancapailldorcha

I'm sure it'll be spun, if not already, as the EU's fault for not letting glorious Albion conduct its business abroad. Mixed with the classism the truckers just have to put up for working in the industry (maybe they just need to work harder?)

• Advertisement

I'd say it'll just be ignored. Sadly, nobody cares. The rural upper classes of southern England got their Brexit. Picking fruit and driving trucks are for lesser people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,038 ✭✭✭✭ BonnieSituation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell

Whatever happened to Johnson's NI/GB bridge or tunnel over/through the Beaufort Dyke?

Have not heard about it for a while.

Will it be like the garden bridge in London that cost a fortune and never got built, or will it be like the London airport in the Thames Estuary that cost a lot and never got built?

Or will it be like Brexit that will result in huge benefits for Global Britain and allow Britain to take its rightful place on the world stage?

Presumably quietly shelved after the first feasibility study came back with an emphatic "f*CK no, are you utterly insane?". At least once it served its purpose of promising/fooling the DUP that no baby, we're still into you guys. Look at this fancy bridge we wanna get you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 59,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭ L1011

The feasibility study could have had an executive summary of an entire page of "hahahahahahahahahah" and it wouldn't have been as harsh as it actually ended up being.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭ road_high

Was quietly scrapped there end last year- too expensive (shock, horror) to build.

I said it before if there’s ever to be a GB to Ireland crossing or tunnel the ONLY economically viable crossing is from Dublin across to north Wales linking down into central onto southern England- this is where the population and economic centre of gravity is. A complete folly to connect a Scottish backwater to another one in the north. Was all a bit of sweet talk to shut unionists up for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭✭ road_high

Infrastructure within the north itself is woeful- the idea of wasting this amount of money on this white elephant would be obscene. What it needs is new motorways and railway’s especially west of the bann

• Registered Users Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭ Buttonftw

The Tories trying to pass laws restricting protests and public gatherings isn't a coincidence, trouble has to be brewing with some of the pointers. Inflation hitting 9% ahead of the EU despite the Pound being up against the EU which has reduced some of the increases. On top of that is the recent long-term wage stagnation which is going to have to change hard soon. Plus they had some protection on energy with the North Sea still providing some.

• Advertisement

I've noticed that a few firms have been setting and/or expanding their continental operations which tend to be located within the vicinity of the EPO's offices in Munich and The Hague.

As the prime minister once said, "f*ck business!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭ 10000maniacs

Very smart interview from Michelle O'Neill on Newsnight tonight dismantling all of the arguments against the Protocol that have been put forward by the Tories and DUP, tying Mark Urban up in knots in the process. It's a must see once it appears on YouTube.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell

I happened to see that interview by chance. He was a straight DUP/Tory spokesman, and every point he tried to make was completely demolished, and every time she tried to make a point he interrupted her, unsuccessfully, but she continued to make her points. In the end, he just gave up.

Dreadful interview technique from his point. His approach was to put words in her mouth and she was having none of it.

I am not a SF supporter in any way, but the DUP and the Tories are wholly wrong wrt the protocol.

To be honest, if you spent the last 5 years blindly assuming that the DUP and the Tories were either lying, wrong or both then you'd be right almost 100% of the time. This is an open wound that needs to be closed but both parties have decided to reopen it cynically for short term political gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭ 54and56

If the UK Govt want to the principle of cross community consent to apply to the NIP they have to accept that cross community consent is also needed for NI to Brexit and no such cross community consent existed as was clearly demonstrated by the NI Brexit referendum result.

It's impossible for them to successfully argue that the NIP requires cross community consent (which in law it doesn't as has been proven in the High Court) but Brexit didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ wexfordman2

I'm amazed that thus position us not put to them on a regular basis, it should be a consistent argument put forward by all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ timetogo1

If the UK wants to sell more cheese to Canada it (the UK) will have to ask the EU to reduce its quota.

Advertisement