Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I think she was been bet plenty in 2020 even when it was obvious Biden had the nomination.

Basically all you need is a few people like Roger Stone, Tucker etc to say this will happen and these guys who basically see conspiracy theories 24/7 get excited talk about it, bet it and then it takes of a life of its own.

If Biden was to drop out and its a massive if then it would be very hard to side step Harris,,,Newsom has a decent national profile but ultimately his major political achievement is winning in California something which even Harris achieved.

Ultimately if you are a Dem and want Biden replaced you have to make a compelling argument for your preferred candidate to be a better bet than Joe in the swing stages and their just isn't an obvious choice. Whitmer maybe, but a lot would have to go right for that to happen. Proper conspiracy theory stuff !

Having a wild convention where a few people fight for the nomination and it would be a very nasty fight is something they really don't need with November not so far anyway.

Anyway, Biden is only a few points behind Trump, he loses the election if next week but its obviously not so need for anyone to bet their live savings on Trump just yet!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No idea why certain sections of the conservative movement keep bringing it up as a possibility (probably just to undermine Biden)

Presumably more base reasons: she's an articulate, confident and broadly positivity focused black woman, so they know invoking her scares them into swinging back to Trump? Better row behind him or else those uppity black folk will come back!

Projecting my own bias against conservatives but it wouldn't be the first time they deployed race as either attack or defence.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It’s very simple. They think Obama was a terrible president, which he wasn’t. So they think its a good idea to push the narrative that Obama is still pulling the strings.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Small correction: a terrible president, and he was black. Let's call a spade a spade here. On this point too, worth reminding that on many occasions of late Trump has said Obama when - presumably - he meant to say Biden so you can certainly say Obama's living rent-free in Trump's brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Completely unintended, actually. I wasn't aware spade was an epithet for an African American; that's the first Ive heard of it. Aware of a bunch of others, but not that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Calling a spade a spade is a saying that goes back long before "spade" became a racist epithet. The saying refers to being exact about something. In other words a spade is not a shovel, it's a spade. There's nothing racist about the saying.

Which, when you think about it, is quite ironic given that many people confuse the idiom's meaning with a racist term.

The term “spade” for a black person comes from the card suit. “As black as the ace of spades”, my grandmother would say.

I believe that poster meant nothing by it.

they/them/theirs

Bizarre. Well when I made the comment, I certainly didn't think it was gonna turn into some "did pixelburp do a racism?" segue, especially given the topic's Donald Trump and his continuing obsession with Obama. And would insist that I've never once heard spade used as an epithet, ever, while I've heard "call a spade a spade" used manys a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,952 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeah, I know.

But the term "calling a spade a spade" has nothing to do with that. And, no, I wouldn't think Pix had any intentions other than using the phrase as it was initially intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Not just pushing it, many of them believe it. Since they've convinced themselves that Joe Biden is addled, incompetent, suffering from dementia and totally debilitated they must reconcile that with the fact that the Federal government is still working and things-albeit evil things in their eyes-are evidently being done. So, the obvious conclusion is that the feeble, senile oldster is a glove puppet for somebody smarter and since the main bogeypeople for MAGA are Obama and Hilary, they've decided its Barack Obama.

I heard one say the other day that they’re rolling out an actor to play Joe Biden and the Jews are running everything.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It was a YouTube interview. It basically went

Maga Guy:“Biden is dead, he’s being played by an actor”

Interviewer: “who tells him what to do”

MG: “handlers for an international cartel of bankers”

I: “Is that a euphemism”

MG: “you know I mean the Jews”

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 25,421 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And in news that will come as no surprise to anyone, Nikki Hayley had pulled out of the presidential race.

"Donald Trump is set to be the Republican candidate for president as his last remaining rival Nikki Haley is due to pull out of the race, NBC News reports.

A source familiar with Haley's plans has confirmed to Sky News's partner NBC that she will exit the race later this morning."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Will be very interesting to see what she says about Trump in her speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Will be interesting to see if she ends up rowing in as a 3rd Party candidate under that No Labels banner.

Theoretically she could be a significant spoiler and impact on both sides of the ballot.

It would likely benefit Trump more significantly I would think as his core of nutters is so solid around the 30-40ish percent mark

She won't, and there is no way it would benefit Trump if she did.

• Advertisement

She'll endorse him

Something along the lines of party unity and him getting her support to back him, she knows now she needs to start licking his shoes if she is to have any sort of political future as long as he is alive.

Depends who you think her voters are. I suspect a sizable portion of them are Democrats using the primaries as another chance to vote against Trump and some Bush era Republicans who more than likely will vote Trump in November. Their just isn't much proof that their is a sizable "Nikki only" base.

She may take her time, but she will fall in line with Trump soon enough.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

How many of the Primaries are open?

AFAIK you had to be registered as a Republican quite a while back to be allowed to vote in the majority of Primaries.

Not sure that "secret Democrats" are a large % of the Haley vote to be honest.

I would have thought so a month ago, but her rhetoric about him has gotten incredibly (and accurately) nasty of late. Would be some about turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Interesting thread here, seems to be a trend that Trump has significantly underperformed vs any polling carried out, no biggie now but could be a factor in November

They are not secret Dems, they are loud and proud Dems who absolutely loath Trump who view this as another excuse to vote against Trump . An article from MSNBC a while ago laid it all out. The primary and national voters are different things for the most part. I think their is a few open primaries but need to check that tbf.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-presidential-election

[quote]

The answer that reconciles those figures, or at least a big part of them, with the general election polling is that many of these Haley votes are likely coming from people who already cast ballots against Trump in 2016 and 2020 — and who are committed to doing so again in 2024.

For that matter, even as Trump is losing 40% of the overall vote in Republican primaries, general election polling shows no slack in his support among Republican voters. He took 92% support from Republicans in our last poll.

How could this be? Look at the primary results and you see a front-runner who is hemorrhaging independents at an alarming level and a Republican electorate that contains wide resistance to him. And yet, look at general election polling, and you see … almost none of this.

It’s possible, though, that there’s really no inconsistency here at all.

Start with the simple stuff. A chunk of former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley’s primary voters (23% of them in South Carolina, per the exit poll) say they will nonetheless be satisfied with Trump as the GOP nominee. So at least some of the Trump current opposition stands ready to rally around him in the general election, which helps explain why general election polls show almost unanimous Republican support for Trump.

And given Biden’s own dreadful poll numbers with independents (a 27% approval rating with them in NBC News’ latest poll), there are surely some of them who will be motivated to vote against Biden in November and thus cast ballots for Trump, even if they’ll never pronounce themselves satisfied with Trump.

But all of this only goes so far. It still leaves the bulk of Haley’s primary voters appearing to be dug in for good against Trump.

The answer that reconciles those figures, or at least a big part of them, with the general election polling is that many of these Haley votes are likely coming from people who already cast ballots against Trump in 2016 and 2020 — and who are committed to doing so again in 2024.

To them, these primaries amount to a bonus opportunity to cast yet another vote against Trump.

[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They were quick to turn on you that's for sure.

It happens will all of them, Cruz, De Santis etc are good examples so I can't really see her being any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Mitch McConnell has endorsed Trump for president after not speaking to him for over three years following on from blaming Trump for the attack on the US Capitol. It makes for more surprises in the offing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Yet during her speach Haley hadn't from what I've read, but it didn't stop a fundraising email from his team claiming she did.

Advertisement