Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He isn’t extremely smart. He’s cunning, exploitative and amoral.

He taps into peoples fear and hate. That doesn’t take intelligence, it’s actually an incredibly simple tactic that works over and over. You don’t have to be smart to make it work, you really just need to be amoral.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Can't say if California was any use under the the Govenator, but Schwarzenegger said he'd "absolutely" run for President in 2024 if he could. What he'd be like as a President is anyone's guess though. But I don't think he's a fan of Trump and his ilk, even though he'd probably be running as a Republican candidate.

I've always thought of the idea of a President Schwarzenegger to be hilarious myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

He would not be allowed due to not have been born in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The only thing I can remember from his political career was his line about 'economic girlie men' and even that had homophobic overtones that he probably didn't intend. So I'm guessing he governed as a 'no drama' mainstream Republican...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Why does one of the prosecutors in the case in Georgia have to step down because two of them had an affair?

I can’t find anything online that explains what difference it makes. They are on the same team.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's a sop to the Trump team in all honesty.

They failed miserably to show any shred of evidence that two consenting adults engaging in a relationship was in any way prejudicial to their case.

But because they've muddied the waters so much the "optics" of them both staying on is now bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

"Honest Don" crying for attention, as well as cash, while possibly angling for the Auto industry workers vote with his bashing of [they shall not pass when I'm in charge] Chinese cars made in Mexico crossing the border and tossing in the comment that if he loses the election, it'll be a bloodbath.

Trump & family seem to have struck rock bottom in their attempts to agree with insurance Co's and bondsmen to get the US$454 million bond required by Judge Ergeron in connection with the civil fraud trial judgement against him and his family. His lawyers have gone to the full appeal court board seeking to have Judge Ergerons ruling amount reduced as an earlier appeal to a single appeal court judge was unsuccessful.

It seems no one agency is prepared, or are unwilling, to provide the necessary bond amount for Trump even though he is appealing Ergerons ruling on a variety of grounds [Engoron 'committed errors of law and/or fact' and whether he abused his discretion or 'acted in excess' of his jurisdiction].

It's possible that coming on top of the bond deal he had to agree to in the other civil case he's involved in, people may have thought assurances provided by Trump may be of less value than that quoted by Trump.

He's also had a pop at Liz Cheney saying she should be prosecuted for what she did to the country by illegally destroying evidence related to the 06 Jan event and his alleged request for National Guard troops to be in the city that day. I guess that's a sign that he's afraid of the non-Trumpists in the GOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

For a billionaire he certainly does seem to have difficulty coming up with money.

• Advertisement

It just might be that his gifts of persuasion [look into my eyes] are fading with people waking up to the truth.

Doubtless his lawyers are looking through the laws around political funding to get some way of accepting cash from a source usually disbarred by law from providing same without compromising or putting them at legal risk if some quid pro quo deal was to become public knowledge at some stage should Trump get elected, however much faith a donor could have in Honest Don's word by now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The courts will demand absolute transparency regarding the source of the money and who the principals are.

Trump is caught between a rock and a hard place here.

His usual sources of funding can't touch this because of the level of attention it would bring and "normal" sources won't touch it because Trump simply isn't good for the money.

No matter what he sells he almost certainly won't come up with a half a billion in net profits to cover the costs.

Most of what he claims to own , he doesn't actually own or it is tied up in agreements that mean he can't sell it.

He references "40 Wall Street" as one of his major assets , but he doesn't own the building , he owns the ground lease and has to pay rent to the actual owners.

His entire house of cards is held together with debt and lies and it's all about to collapse around him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If I won the Euro millions with say €100,000,000 I would be so rich I would not have to worry about money ever again. (Provided I did not seek financial advice like Dolores did).

Now if I am a billionaire, and am judged by Forbes or the Irish Independent to be one, it does not mean I have even €100,000,000 I can access. This is because I own properties that have debts, or I own shares that I cannot sell because they give me control of my company. I also have debts that I keep moving around for tax reasons. Plus I have hangers on who need funding.

Add a bit of creative accounting to keep the tax man and the banks at bay, and it becomes clear why billionaires are short of ready cash.

So Trump has to find $500,000,000 quickly, and no-one will give it to him - probably because he might need as much again next month and he probably cannot come up with that either. Sinking ship comes to mind - or the Ponzi scheme is unravelling.

So Trump is in trouble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Another lawyer thrown under the bus by Trump (what's the count now?)...

According to latest reporting from the Daily Beast, Donald Trump's golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey settled a lawsuit last week for $82,500 arising out of a waitress who was unfairly silenced after facing sexual harassment. Alice Bianco, the waitress at issue, previously entered into a hush money agreement with the Trump golf club to her sexual harassment claims for about $15,000.

According to reporting, the Daily Beast learned that Bianco was likely fraudulently induced into executing the agreement by none other than Trump's personal attorney, Alina Habba. The deal occurred back in 2021, and according to reporting, allowed Habba to get in the good graces of former President Donald Trump.

There's a piece in one of Trump's rants about Judge Ergeron and AG James which he may not have meant to reveal. I copied this piece from the Daily Mail: Trump said any business thinking about moving into the state is 'CRAZY!' after prosecutors called him out for changing the addresses of several Trump business entities to Florida last week while facing the judgement. He called James 'Racist and Politically Corrupt' and said Engoron is a 'Crazed, Trump Hating Rogue Judge' who 'has ZERO respect for the Appellate Judges.' Trump also inveighed against the judge and the case in a statement from his presidential campaign, which has relied on a series of criminal and civil prosecutions to goose his poll numbers. He blasted 'Ironclad Disclaimer Clauses' and said the conduct the judge found occurred resulted in 'No Damages, No Victims – A Disgraceful “Case!” This Sham is forcing companies and people to flee New York, and stopping companies from entering.'

Separately the Daily Mail report included that last week, AG James office wrote in a filing that Trump tried to move the addresses of multiple assets from Trump Tower to Florida. Her office complained that Trump's lawyers 'announced for the first time that various entity defendants operating in New York are allegedly now located on a golf club in Florida.' That included DJT Holdings LLC, 401 North Wabash Venture LLC and other entities. 'Defendants attempted that relocation even as they claim to this Court that those assets 'cannot be summarily disposed of or secreted out of the jurisdiction,' according to the filing.

What the Daily Mail report doesn't provide information on is whom the person/s were who attempted to make the alleged move of firms addresses from NY to Florida. Judge Ergeron's order barred Trump and some of his associates from running businesses in NY.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yes; but the new news is that a deal was struck that excluded her specifically leaving her open to be sued by her victim by the Trump organization :)

Seeing as Trump has until Monday next to come up with the bond [if the appeal court doesn't find in his favour] I won't assume that he's out of the game due to cash shortage [outside disposing of assets] as he's such a tricky character hard to actually pin down. I'd like to think he is but won't bet one red cent on it until the late Monday US news reports that to be a fact.

Habba is his front of house defence lawyer. Given how lawyers have behaved in court for both anti and pro Trump sides, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that she behaved without caution.

Has there been any backlash against Speaker Johnson and his allies in the GOP over their federal funding deal with Biden's administration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

MTG has within the last hour has filed a surprise motion to oust him.

In terms of reality, what are the chances that she could rely on the Democrats siding with her in the house in any vote called on her motion for it to succeed? As for her own party members......

Edit: MSN is running a story that Wisconsin GOP Rep Mike Gallagher, the China select committee chair, is retiring early from next month. He had been due to retire at the end of his congressional term this year but after blowback from other GOP members after he voted AGAINST impeaching Homeland Security Secretary Mayorkas. That would reduce the GOP vote majority in the house to one.

Post edited by aloyisious on

Slim; several democrats have said they have no interest in sinking him esp. if he would put an Ukraine aid to the floor for voting and seems limited interest among the Republicans as well for another drama over the position this close to election.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

You think MTG could align with the Democrats...what have you been sniffing today?

The scent from a GOP rabbit-hole..... No I was being sarcastic about the odds of some Democrats keeping her in the bubble of her choosing, then bursting it from the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

MTG only cares about herself, so I guess in that way she is exactly like Trump

MTG is pushing for the Speaker and the GOP to force Gallagher resign with immediate effect in order to have a special election and replace him with a GOP person more inclined to her side of the GOP and Trump. Apparently if Gallagher stays on as the Rep for his district past a specific date in April, he cant be replaced until the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

No matter your opinion on Gallagher's worldview politically (he is a major hawk) its absolutely dire that he seems content to leave those in his congress and those who voted for him with no representation until November .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The GOP have not been representing the voters the last few years.

The recent refusal to pass the border bill because they want to leave it a mess until Trump arrives back in office is the perfect example.

It's precisely because of this lack of real action that people like Gallagher are quitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bog master

I seem to remember a Mitch McConnell refusing to fill a Supreme Court Judge for the best part of a year.

Advertisement