Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

he seems content to leave those in his congress and those who voted for him with no representation until November .

There's a not unreasonable angle that the modern GOP are distinctly NOT representing the electorate by dint of their tactics, intransigence and intentional stymying of basic governance at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,542 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

According to his retirement statement in the Washington Examiner, Gallagher got approval from the House GOP leadership when he informed them of his early retirement plan. It goes without saying that if he was determined to go ahead regardless [seeing as he is not happy with the way the party was going Trump-wise and said he wouldn't attend the party caucus this year] the leadership may have had to take the slap with a smile.

Other GOP members think along the lines your post includes. Some Wisconsin conservatives have blasted Gallagher’s exit as a deliberate move to hurt House Republicans, which Gallagher’s office has denied.  “I want you to know that this is deliberate,” another potential congressional contender, Alex Bruesewitz, said at a GOP dinner over the weekend. “This is the swamp and the RINOs’ way to backstab their constituents and the Republican voters one last time.”

In the here and now of Trump-world, he's blamed Biden for the Hamas attack on Israel - 'He can't win because of the October 7th attack of Israel which he should have never been allowed to happen, would have never happened if I was president,'. 'His foreign policy throughout 50 years has been horrible,' Trump said about Biden. 'If you look at people that were in other administrations with him, they saw him as a weak, ineffective president, they would have never done that attack if I were there.'

Trump's critique displaying gaps in actual events and history as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭eire4

I would even take that a step further and say that at the moment the Republican party is not a legitimate democratic party but rather one that is authoritarian in nature with just a veneer of democratic beliefs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Agreed, they are an authoritarian party currently somewhat tethered by a democratic system - A system they plan to dismantle if given the opportunity in November.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I do not think they consider themselves tethered at all. If Trump wins in November, they will control all arms of the Federal Government - the President, the Senate, Congress, and the Supreme Court. They also have judges appointed throughout the Federal Court system at all levels.

It will be a disaster if Trump gets elected.

Well, the NBC hiring of Ronna McDaniel as a contributor after she left the RNC chair didn't last long. NBC's Universal Chair Cesar Conde said: 'After listening to the legitimate concerns of many of you, I have decided that Ronna McDaniel will not be an NBC News contributor.' Ronna's deal with NBC was for roughly US$300,000 a year. Apparently a large number of the legitimate concerns were about Ronna's support for Trump's claim of fraud in the 2020 election result.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Its hilarious really. Ronna is a hack and was a failure at her previous job. I do think the idea of hiring someone who represents the view of the 50% or so of people who will vote Trump is interesting but Ronna isn't even part of that clique so she won't even bring any insight their either.

The pontificating from NBC which is an echo chamber though was very amusing, they hired numerous Biden people over the years , genuinely what insight can Psaki can bring bar "Biden good, Trump bad" and then of course some other horrors such as Nicola Wallace who spun for the Iraq war back in the day.

NBC could do with some pro Trump voices and Fox could do with some pro Biden voices but neither can risk it as both need to cater towards their respective audiences who live in echo chambers as that is what pays the bills unfortunately.

I had the notion that Truth Social could do with a contributor of worth but that might not suit Don as he might be upstaged before he could approve of her contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,638 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Trump 🤣

''HAPPY EASTER TO ALL🙏, INCLUDING CROOKED AND CORRUPT PROSECUTORS AND
    JUDGES THAT ARE DOING EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO INTERFERE WITH THE
    PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION OF 2024, AND PUT ME IN PRISON, INCLUDING THOSE
    MANY PEOPLE THAT I COMPLETELY & TOTALLY DESPISE BECAUSE THEY WANT TO
    DESTROY AMERICA, A NOW FAILING NATION, LIKE “DERANGED” JACK SMITH, WHO
    IS EVIL AND “SICK,” MRS. FANI “FAUNI” WADE, WHO SAID SHE HARDLY KNEW THE
    “SPECIAL” PROSECUTOR, ONLY TO FIND THAT HE SPENT YEARS “LOVING” HER,
    LONG BEFORE THE GEORGIA PERSECUTION OF PRESIDENT TRUMP BEGAN (AND
    THEREBY MAKING THE CASE AGAINST ME NULL, VOID, AND ILLEGAL!), AND LAZY
    ON VIOLENT CRIME ALVIN BRAGG WHO, WITH CROOKED JOE’S DOJ THUGS, UNFAIRLY
    WORKING IN THE D.A.’s OFFICE, ILLEGALLY INDICTED ME ON A CASE HE NEVER
    WANTED TO BRING AND VIRTUALLY ALL LEGAL SCHOLARS SAY IS A CASE THAT
    SHOULD NOT BE BROUGHT, IS BREAKING THE LAW IN DOING SO (POMERANTZ!), WAS
    TURNED DOWN BY ALL OTHER LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES, AND IS NOT A
    CRIME. HAPPY EASTER 🙏🙏''

That's a funny Happy Easter message. Not sure Hallmark will be taking notes😂

• Advertisement

He's just a bit short of including a truly Christian quote "I forgive them, father" in his Easter homily to the faithful.

Edit: On reading back through his message, it's noticeable that Trump used the word "despise" instead of an alternative word "hate" to express his feeling about his fellow citizens from all sides who don't agree with his brand of politics. The wordsmiths working in his campaign background to lessen the damage he does with his rants.

Post edited by aloyisious on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

He has not read as far as that in his $60 bible.

I doubt has has got beyond calculating the cost and margin on each sale. So $150 dollar gold coloured boots did not do well enough, I wonder what the next merchandising crap will be launched on the MUGS MAGA devotees.

Blessings of the great leader retitled as pardons, something he is experienced in granting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

When you say funny do you mean the rantings of a mentally ill man or do you think in some way he's beating the Libs which is funny to you?

There's a chance that Trump might change his nickname from Honest Don to Crusader Don as he's called for Nov 5th to be Christian Visibility Day.

He's also increased the number of lawsuits he's involved in by countersuing the other original two partners he has in Truth Social claiming they caused him a massive financial loss by preventing the sale of the site's shares. He aims to have them deprived of the shares they hold in the site as punishment for their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Donald letting his racism shine through for all to see, can't see that going down too well with the black voters but I'm sure the rednecks will lap it up.

In another blow for Trump, Judge Cannon has ruled out dismissing the charges against him in relation to the classified documents found in his home at Mar-A-Lago, saying in a three page order that the Presidential Records Act was not mentioned in the indictment against him, and did not rely on that statute for purpose of stating an offence. Trumps lawyers had claimed to Judge Cannon that he, as president, could declassify the documents and change their status. They had proposed to Judge Cannon that the documents were Trump's personal possessions as a result of the change of status.

The special prosecutor reminded people that the documents related to intelligence and military issues, including the U.S. nuclear program.

Edit: I'm going to have to roll back on my understanding of what Judge Cannon order means in finality. It seems she has actually NOT given a final ruling on the issue by holding to her decision to possibly issuing instructions to a jury that Trump was actually legally allowed to declassify the classified documents [despite their content] found at inside his Mar-A-Lago home and then keep them in his possession as his personal property.

The following appears to be the content of Judge Cannon's order: "To the extent the Special Counsel demands an anticipatory finalization of jury instructions prior to trial, prior to a charge conference, and prior to the presentation of trial defenses and evidence, the Court declines that demand as unprecedented and unjust," Cannon wrote in Thursday's ruling.

"The Court's Order soliciting preliminary draft instructions on certain counts should not be misconstrued as declaring a final definition on any essential element or asserted defense in this case," she added.

In effect, Judge Cannon seems to have left the issue of Trump's claim to have legal possession of the documents unresolved in his favour, given that he is the person who appointed her to the federal judgeship.

Smith would not be allowed appeal her order if she decided in favour of Trump as the double jeopardy rule would apply preventing another trial on the same charges against Trump. Smith may have to go to the 11th circuit appeal court to get Judge Cannon removed from hearing the case on the grounds of a bias in favour of Trump.

Marjorie Taylor Greene reportedly claims that the earthquake near Trump's Bedminster NY golf course is a sign from God and people in the US need to repent. I know that Tump has been pushing the religious angle in US society for his electoral benefit but this claim from MTG might be something he wouldn't approve of or risk taking advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Good loser

I see the panellists mocking Trump's errors and mispronunciations on CNN. He makes plenty - while mocking Biden for same.

Trump's former CFO, Allen Weisselberg, has been given a 5 month jail after he admitted perjuring himself while giving testimony under oath at the trial of the Trump Corporation. Judge Merchan said that had there not been an agreement on the sentence for the offence, he would have given Weisselberg a greater sentence.

It's worth noting that the outcome of the original fraud trial, disbarring the Trumps from involvement in NY business, is disputed by both Trump and his family members to the extent that they are appealing the outcome. Weisselberg's false testimony was given during that trial, leaving me wondering if the Trumps would call him as a witness if the appeal court was minded to give the Trumps a second shot at the fraud case and the NY justice system.

• Advertisement

Looking at the state supreme court decision in Arizona to declare that the 1864 law declaring abortion to be unlawful is still an act of law relevant to present day jurisprudence is something I imagine that the legal and election campaign people advising Trump will be shaking their heads at and asking themselves quietly if their client has some responsibility for this after he said abortion should be left to the [individual] states to decide on.

I'd imagine that Trump himself, in his thinking things through "moments", when he has no journalists or keyboards in front of him asking for his opinion on abortion, probably wishes that he had not risen to the occasion again when asked for his opinion on the issue.

It's now over to the female voters in the US to decide on the future of Trump success on the ballot as he's campaigned for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

He was put into a bind with regards a potential federal ban should be win and have a majority in both houses. The Evangelicals in his base are clamouring for it but he knows it'd be electoral kyrptonite for him. That's why he instead went for his "let the state's decide for themselves" statement. He's trying to thread the needle between the evangelicals and the potential swing voters who care deeply about abortion access.

The Democrats are going to hammer him and Republican on this issue from now until November since it's proven to be a winning issue for them, even in the reddest states. He doesn't help himself since he can't stop gloating about the fact that "his judges" were the difference when it came to getting rid of Roe.

I see the online media are reporting that Trump made a hames of his address to supporters about the battle of Gettysburg. I don't know how much of a spin has been put on it, seeing as one online respondent, possibly as a sarcastic response to Trump's speech, posted on X "And everyone knew where the battle was going to take place. They all had the address. You've heard of it. It's called Gettysburg Address. Honest Abe announced it. And if he were alive today he couldn't beat Biden. & I tell you... he said great things about me. Great things."

It would be unbelievable if anyone making a serious run for the presidency would make the liking of himself to Abe but the Republican candidate has made it a habit to compare himself in good standing with historical figures [not limited to the US itself] so if anyone here has access to the facts as described in the X post above, I'd like to know if the candidate did mention the Gettysburg Address [AKA Abe's speech] in his speech to his supporters over the past weekend in Pennsylvania.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

It wasn't quite that bad but still pretty bad. Seemed to think it was a battle in the American Revolution, which presumably every child over 10 years old knows isn't the case.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And also wondered aloud why Robert E. Lee wasn't all that popular anymore.

I don't know Donald…Maybe because he was an Insurrectionist??

If only 20 to 30 percent of the people he was speaking to decide not to waste their vote on his candidacy but abstained or voted for the other party candidate, the safety of the US would be guaranteed against Trump's desire to be all things to all the voters.

Looking at the various media sources covering his appearances, it's a wonder that Marj Taylor-Greene hasn't savaged Trump for standing alongside the Speaker with such friendliness.

I'm reading that the SCOTUS is hearing an appeal by Joe Fischer, one of more than 300 people charged in connection with the Capitol Hill event. US district judge Carl Nichols ruled that the charge against Fischer, of obstruction of an official proceeding, did not apply to Fischer's action on the 6th Jan 2021. Judge Nichols opined that the act committed must be physical in nature, citing a quote from former Senator Joe Biden [in connection with the Enron case] that the statute provision below meant the offence must be like shredding documents.

The DOJ appealed judge Nichols ruling and the appeal court overturned his ruling on the basis that his interpretation of the statute 18 U.S. Code Section 1512(c)(2) — of the Corporate Fraud Accountability Act, part of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, was too restrictive. Fischers lawyers appealed the appeal courts ruling to SCOTUS. If SCOTUS decides what Congress meant when it passed the statute was something along the lines of Judge Nichols interpretation of the statute and not the appeal courts wider/looser interpretation of the statute, Fischer may walk. The effect could then carry over to Trump in respect of the charges laid against him by the special prosecutor, Jack Smith, of election interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Will they find 12 so called impartial jurors?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

7 as of last night and they actually look for 18 (12 + 6 back up) and have excused quite a few to date as well along with both sides have 10 vetoes on top of the guidance from the court (i.e. people can simply declare they are biased and they are excused on the spot without giving any more justification; half of the jurors went on day 1 through that).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Would be interested to see a breakdown on that, ie how many that declared bias, we're stating it from an anti-Trump perspective.

Getting slightly conspiratorial, but would pro Trump citizens keep their mouths shut on bias to try save their hero?

Advertisement