Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Re the documents case:

As soon as Biden (and Pence as well) were notified, they opened up their houses to be searched, and were sorry about it. Genuine mistake.

Compare that to Trumps approach.

Moving boxes in the middle of the night.

Telling the investigators everything had been handed back, but it wasn't.

No contrition at all.

Re: property values

Do you seriously suggest everyone commits fraud when applying for a mortgage? By inflating his assets, he was charged a lower percent of interest than if he had been honest. Yes, the banks were repaid, yes they made money. But for their shareholders, they were also swindled out of $250+ million in lost interest.

Oh, he's also a rapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

You might ask the Republican party members from all levels of US society who oppose Trump's attempts to change the voting procedures to stay in office and all mortgage applicants why they stay within the laws and small print when looking for loans from banks and finance bodies. Those Republicans and loan applicants seem to think the person elected to the Presidency should do as they do when it comes to complying with the law of the land instead of boasting about being the biggest crook in the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Also why trump inflating his property values to get more loans is bad when every other person who applies for a mortgage does the exact the same thing with their income and savings

They do what now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Trump was accused of declaring a high value on his properties to get better rates from the banks while declaring lower values to reduce his tax liability.

Which ever way, it is fraud.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I keep saying this, but every time it gets more worrying. If the election was held today, Trump wins easily. Don’t just look at the overall polling, check the states

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

According to the internet media, Trumps legal team's latest request to the judge hearing the property fraud case against Trump is to suggest to the judge that because their client is so rich he really doesn't need to set a bond as instructed by the judge in order to ensure he stays withing the US or forfeit the bond.

It leaves me curious as to how much of Trump's net value and wealth is now banked within the US and how much of it has been transferred out of the US to banks and financial institutions based in countries he is on friendly terms with AND how much his value and wealth has been damaged by the scandals and court rulings against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,017 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yep. You know the usual caveats and tbf they are valid, small volatile samples, early days, Trumps legal issues but right now Trump is the favorite to be president. I like yourself have been following the key state polling and Biden is up against it in so many of them.

The fact is Trump is in better shape now than he was in 2016 which he won and 2020 where he lost by 40k voters and yeah its alarming tbf.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Trump has significantly underperformed his polling in every single primary so far.

that's easily explained - he was so far ahead in the polling, people didn't bother voting.

That won't be the case in November.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

In the Iowa caucus, it was reported as an overwhelming victory for Trump. He go 56,000 votes which is 51% of the vote. That is a very low turn-out and was a very threatening experience for non-Trump voters as the 'vote' was done by public acclamation - not a secret ballot.

The media are bigging up his vote bigly. If Hailey is getting 40% of the vote, then that is a lot for a no chance candidate.

• Advertisement

That didn't hamper turnout in 2020. There is a much larger enthusiasm gap this time round it seems.

The weather conditions their was absolutely brutal in Iowa though which depressed the vote. South Carolina I think the RCP average was something like 23 points which was close enough to the final result, their was some silly polls which suggested a 30 point win which was never on.

Don't think their was much polling in Michigan and tbf its a tough state to poll. Nevada a blow out also. New Hampshire was poor enough but nonetheless an easy enough win considering Haley threw the kitchen sink at it with Sunanu everywhere and Dems coming out to vote for her.

Regarding the 40% whether those voted Haley or RDS etc previously , they will be coming home for November , anyone who thinks that Trump is only going to get 60% of the GOP primary voters needs to turn of MSNBC immediately.

I hope you’re right. But the state and national polling says otherwise

they/them/theirs

Correct. Trump will get over 90% of the GOP vote. They have no shame, they’ll home their noses and vote on party lines.

Currently Trump is polling well in unaffiliated, swing voters. Which is absolutely insane.

In a sane world Trump wouldn’t be getting a single vote. But that’s not the reality in the US. He’s in with a very good chance of winning in November. It’s a coin toss.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Biden is vulnerable??? Just look at this word salad right out from trump's own mouth. ..

“The radical left Democrats are at it again. They're constantly making up stories about me because their candidate is a mental and physical basket case. There's never been anything like it. He's also the worst president in the history of our country. He went on a very poorly rated show last night, and he talked about Donald Trump and his wife, I don't know the name of my wife.

He was referring to the fact that at CPAC (Conservative Political Action Conference), where I had a sold out speech, the biggest audience they've had in years, I think maybe ever. I made the statement that Melania was very popular because when I mentioned her name, the audience went wild. I then looked at the two people, man and wife, Matt and Mercedes Schlapp, and I said, ‘Wow, they really like the first lady.’ So this got taken as the fact that I thought Mercedes was the first lady, has nothing to do with that.

These people are really dishonest. They are absolutely something. They have a horrible candidate who's a horrible president. They make up things constantly. You take a look at when I use Barack Hussein Obama and I interject him into where it's supposed to be Biden, and I do it purposely for comedic reasons and for sarcasm because a lot of people say that Obama's running the country, not Biden, because he's sleeping all the time. They say, ‘Oh, I don't know the name of the president.’ Or when I imitate this guy getting off a stage, what they do is they say, ‘Oh, he had trouble getting off a stage.’ I have no trouble getting off a stage. Anybody that watches what I do at rallies would say, ‘Wow, that's amazing. He can go two hours without a teleprompter, not making even a little mistake.’ Very few people, maybe almost nobody, can do what I do.

So here's the story. The disinformation of the Democrats is unbelievable. They do it because they have a horrible candidate.

“Don't associate me with the mental midget that you portray because I want to tell you, he should not be leading this country. And hopefully on November 5, he's not going to be. We're going to have a big election, we're going to have a big victory, and we're going to make America great again.”

Republican voters always come home and yeah Trump will retain around 90% of the GOP base.

The positives for Biden is the nugget I have seen in a polls where a criminal conviction might be just to much for some swing voters.

Biden can win, but he somehow needs to resolve the Israel situation and then the border. Trump and the GOP are obviously been cynical about it, but looking at polling for November unfortunately it is working, voters are blaming the man in charge Biden for the mess rather than the GOP. That sucks but heh welcome to politics sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

None of that matters to the Trumpists, and the people who are still undecided.... How in the name of jehova can anyone still be 'undecided' on Trump in 2024?

If they're undecided then they don't care that he comes across as as mad as a bag of frogs when you read his transcripts, these people don't read any transcripts unless they're on some conspiracy theory website that makes them feel like they're smarter than everyone else because they don't trust the 'Mainstream Media'

Yep, the GOP are actively working against the best interests of the US and Biden shoulders the blame. It’s amazing to watch.

I liked Biden’s move today of inviting Trump in to help him get legislation on the boarder passed. Let’s see how it goes.

they/them/theirs

The main outstanding hope is that there is very little chance they won't see him talking in the lead up to the actual election which will make him harder to ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Bottom line, i think, is swing voters probably heavily vote with their pockets.

And irrespective of the root cause, there's probably a lot of them saying, I had more money in my pockets, and rates were lower while Business Man Trump was president.

I think that, if the fed start cutting sooner rather than later, there will be a shift back away from Trump (inflation was back down to 2.4% last month, so its pointing that way if things continue thar direction)

• Advertisement

For what it's worth [given that I have come to have doubts about the reliability of the Daily Mail when it come to reporting on Trump] that media outlet, as of 46 minutes ago, began running a report that SCOTUS may announce tomorrow on whether Trump can appear on Colorado's ballot - and also in the general election. The Daily Mail report mentions the NYT as reporting that SCOTUS may make an announcement on that issue.

One other item on the legal front for Trump is the claim made by Andy Litinsky and Wes Moss [owners of a Company - United Atlantic Ventures] who entered into a partnership with Trump about an online site [Truth Social] they claim is their idea. The two gents started legal action against Trump several years back after he apparently began negotiations with another company [DWAC] about merging Truth Social with that Co. The two claimants say in their case against Trump that as part of his negotiations with the other company, he downsized their ownership percentage of Truth Social from around 10 percent to around 2 percent, depriving them of several hundred million US$ they estimate their ownership percentage of truth Social would earn them in a deal with DWAC. The two men had competed on and met Trump on his "The Apprentice" tv show.

The outcome or settlement of the case would presumably reduce the sum Trump may have sought from DWAC and hurt his business acumen and probable value.

Biden is now out to 2/1 with Paddy Power to be re-elected

Much bigger with the exchanges btw.

I don't think betting means much here, the price on Michelle seems very silly,,I know never say never but unless Trump is leading the polls by double digits which will never happen due to how polarizing he is then I don't believe something as outlandish as her replacing him happens.

Michelle Obama being mentioned seems to be entirely a wish cast by people not named Michelle Obama. Unlike Hillary Clinton she has never shown any proclivity toward politics nor dropped any hints that she would ever enter the fray - quite the opposite in fact.

Biden's going to be the candidate unless he drops dead or becomes incapacitated. If that were to happen it wouldn't be Michelle Obama replacing him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can someone explain the Michelle Obama thing: is it just fawning internet types trying to make something happen out of thin air, some passing remark Obama made being taken out of context - or what? My understanding is she'd leap off a cliff before stepping into politics - and IIRC admitted it nearly damaged her relationship with Barack - so not sure what all a sudden there's this rumbling of her name here and there.

No surprise that the SCOTUS bench decided unanimously that Trump can be on the Colorado ballot. They saved the GOP from the problem of having its candidate running for election in less than the usual number of states, unlike the Dems candidate. A great reflection on the rights of those states to run their own affairs. One cant help wonder what the GOP would do if some states decided to ignore the SCOTUS ruling as the SCOTUS does not seem to have any actual power set in the constitution to enforce its rulings, just the set precedents of the Federal Govt and the State Governments accepting SCOTUS decisions as the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Michelle as the candidate is a total non-runner. Michelle as the VP candidate might be interesting though. She would bring out those on the fence much more than Kamila.

Michelle Obama has never shown the slightest inclination to get involved in politics and her getting involved would also be an utterly awful further precedent for celebrity over demonstrated competence.

• Advertisement

She's basically a proxy for Barack Obama in their eyes. They know that he can't run again so she's the next best thing. Never mind the fact that she's telegraphed fairly explicitly that she doesn't even like politics. She always gave a good speech at the DNC so clearly she's capable (is their logic)

That's the liberal reasoning. No idea why certain sections of the conservative movement keep bringing it up as a possibility (probably just to undermine Biden)

Advertisement