Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Show me another case like it.

Google Trump University.

This man has form in fraudulent behaviour, sometimes a thing is as simple as it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The intent was to stop the proper working of congress. Trump instigated it. And don't try and tell me they were unarmed. That nonsense has already been discredited many times. The attempts at gaslighting quite pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,552 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Trumps response to the charges brought against him in relation to the valuations he made on his properties and presented to the banks has regularly been: well, they were given the option to examine the details of the valuations I provided them [on a buyer beware basis] and they got their money back so no one was robbed actually means that the banks had to be returned loans monies by him after they claimed his valuations were not correct.

Why was this necessary for Trump to do if, as he claims, there was no fraud or criminal activity committed on his part against the banks in the first case. Why, if he did not break the law, did the banks get the loan-monies back?

Trumps attachment of warning to the banks in the first place not to believe the face value he put on his properties was him bluntly saying: I'm chancing my arm here in giving you my personally made estimates, and not valuations made by a reputable person in that trade. It was a preplanned operation by Trump done with the purpose of taking monies from the banks on dodgy grounds [pun intended].

On the issue of the Capitol Hill 06th insurrection bid by members of his fan base, no one, not even the Feds, have alleged all the people there were insurrectionists. Those whom the Feds have evaluated through evidence of being insurrectionists are the ones charged or to be charged and jailed.

It would be acceptable that others there that day could be seen and described as persons who became involved in riotous acts as they complied with the words of Trump to go to the Capitol in an act of protest with him personally. BTW; another election promise which he broke to his most ardent followers and voters on the actual day.

Post edited by aloyisious on

• Registered Users Posts: 35,721 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

You're calling the flag poles as weapons, and what ever else they were carrying. It's hardly the same, and it's not believable that so many people all forgot their firearms on the same day they planned an insurrection. It was a case of following the herd, one followed the other, it became a mob mentality, where everyone fed off of the energy of others until it was a full blown riot.

Of course a lot of people were arrested in the hours and days after the riot, and were indeed armed, as that's their right to carry, but I didn't see anyone at the riot using firearms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No, that's actually what's called out in the court cases...

But a review of the federal charges against the alleged rioters shows that they did come armed, and with a variety of weapons: stun guns, pepper spray, baseball bats and flagpoles wielded as clubs. An additional suspect also allegedly planted pipe bombs by the headquarters of the Democratic and Republican parties the night before the riot and remains at large.

Four other people in the crowd died in the insurrection, and more than 100 police officers suffered injuries, including cracked ribs, gouged eyes and shattered spinal disks.

Lorenzo Boyd, a former director of the Center for Advanced Policing at the University of New Haven, called attempts to downplay the deadliness of the weapons used on Jan. 6 a "false narrative."

"There were a lot of weapons that could be lethal weapons as applied," said Boyd. In his view, the fact that the rioters were armed with a variety of weapons clearly contributed to the Capitol Police's failure to protect the building. "If you see a lot of resistance and you're being outgunned, outmanned, outpowered, you tend to kind of fall back a little bit," said Boyd.

But I guess those don't count in your world view and all pro blue line etc. of course...

As for no guns among them...

congressional testimony of FBI Assistant Director Jill Sanborn, who said the bureau did not confiscate firearms from suspects that day. But FBI spokesperson Carol Cratty told NPR that Sanborn was talking only specifically about arrests by the FBI, and not other police agencies that made arrests on the day of the riot — including arrests of people allegedly carrying guns.

Federal prosecutors say that Christopher Michael Alberts of Maryland was arrested on Capitol grounds on the evening of Jan. 6 while carrying a Taurus G2c 9 mm handgun with one round in the chamber and a full 12-round magazine. He also allegedly had an extra magazine in his pocket and was carrying a gas mask, pocket knife and first-aid kit.

Lonnie Leroy Coffman of Alabama was also arrested that evening after law enforcement found two firearms on his person, as well as what a federal judge referred to as a "small armory" in his truck, which was parked near the Capitol. According to the court, the government found "a loaded handgun," "a loaded rifle," "a loaded shotgun," "a crossbow with bolts," "several machetes," "a stun gun" and "11 mason jars containing a flammable liquid, with a hole punched in the top of each jar." According to the government, surveillance footage showed him "in attendance at the events at the Capitol,"

Cleveland Grover Meredith of North Carolina planned to arrive in D.C. for the Trump rallies on Jan. 6, according to federal prosecutors, but he was delayed because of car trouble. He was arrested the following day for allegedly assaulting a man in Washington, D.C., in a traffic-related incident and for making death threats against the D.C. mayor and Pelosi.

During a search, law enforcement said they found in his possession "a Glock 19, nine millimeter pistol, a Tavor X95 assault rifle and approximately hundreds of rounds of ammunition." Citing text messages sent by Meredith, a federal prosecutor argued in court that he "relished in the carnage of January 6th."

But yea, all civil unrest here nothing to see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

There's literal Senate audio testimony of secret service spotting armed trump supporters, but you know better??

There's Senate testimony of Trump asking to take away the MAGS, which detect weapons, and when told they wouldn't trump replied to the effect 'I know they're armed but they're not after me'.

You're in the land of the Easter bunny and the leprechauns lad if you think the trump supporters on jan6 weren't armed

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Actually anyone with a bit of knowledge would know that the opposite is the case.

They had actual weapons as well. People died. Stop with the gaslighting. Nobody is fooled.

So it continues. Re Judge Ergeron's ruling and fines levied against Trump and his sons, a gofundme account has been set up apparently to help him in paying off the fine monies. Elena Cardone started a "Stand with Trump; Fund the $355M Unjust Judgment" Go Fund Me account which has got $44,000 so far as of five hours ago.

I googled for info on the report in case it was another fake news item set off as a publicity stunt by Trump & Co but it seems to be genuine. People in the US seem to have differing opinions about making gofundme donations to the fund: one on the basis that gofundme is notorious for banning conservative campaigns, others about funding a multibillionaire out of financial troubles.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Exactly, it wasn't the valuations that were the issue it was the fact that he changed them repeatedly to benefit him financially.

Low valuations for tax purposes, High valuations for Insurance claims and for use as loan collateral.

He can claim anything is worth anything he likes, but he can't use different numbers for his financial benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

He also bragged about it. I remember in some campaign rally in his first campaign, he said that he was too smart to pay his taxes, that taxes are for dumb people, and was bragging about gaming the system by giving different valuations for tax purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Edit, it was in a debate, not a rally (Here's a link to back that up from 2016)

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/26/trump-brags-about-not-paying-taxes-that-makes-me-smart.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Trump basically comparing himself to Navalny on Truth Social is a possible new low even for this absolute crook: https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-somehow-ties-navalny-death-to-his-own-legal-woes-minutes-after-nikki-haley-blasts-him-for-protecting-putin-on-fox/

One would like to think the wheel has turned full circle with decisions by SCOTUS not to weigh in on lower court decisions in respect to Trump camp followers.

SCOTUS rejected an appeal by Sidney Powell and six other lawyers allied with Trump over $150,000 in sanctions they were ordered to pay for abusing the court system with a sham lawsuit challenging the 2020 election results in Michigan. The justices did not comment in leaving in place the sanctions against seven lawyers who were part of the lawsuit filed on behalf of six Republican voters after Joe Biden’s 154,000-vote victory over Trump in the state. The money is owed to the state and Detroit, for their costs in defending the lawsuit.

SCOTUS also declined to hear a constitutional challenge made by Marjorie Taylor Greene and two other GOP House Reps against fines levied against them by the House under its rules for refusing to wear masks on the Hill during the covid epidemic leaving two lower courts decisions against them to stand. Greene had fines levied against her Government officials salary up to $100,000 for breaching the house rules on the masks.

Thinking of [soon to be] future needs of Trump for collateral funds to satisfy his legal obligations after the court verdicts, have the verdicts had an immediate knock-on effect on NYC property prices [as in driving down prices] given how he may have to unload "valuable" properties onto the market to top up his ready cash to keep the sheriff from the door?

It presumably would hurt him if the market declined to buy his properties at the valuations he put on them but insisted on deals at lower prices. I just don't think there would be many ready to provide him with loans using the properties as collateral.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

He'll put up a bail bond which will be only a fraction of the fines themselves; the only question is how much the bail bond company charges based on Trump's history and what securities they will accept as NY has a 6% maximum cost for a bond.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A lesson "Trump camp followers" have rather failed to learn is that they never have and never will enjoy the same immunity, trust and loyalty that Trump enjoys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

The recent finding regarding the property chicanery, I presume that was purely state damages? Or are private enterprises to be compensated by those monies? I ask as I wonder does it open the door for further litigation from those enterprises who may have been hurt by the fraud..?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Purely state level.

I doubt any of the banks will want to pursue that as their role in it all will get scrutinized which they probably don't want

It's hard to find genuine at face-value news items about Trump in the online print media nowadays as the media seems to be running competitions as to which can run stories bashing or praising him, sometimes even both in single outlets, on which to evaluate how he is doing in the eyes of the public.

A few days ago, there were several reports on a member of his family promoting the idea that the RNC should pay Trumps legal fees as he is was the GOP president and represented the party. This happened after some unidentified sources in the GOP ran with the idea in the media.

Cue a story in todays Daily Digest running a story that Rudy Giuliani is claiming that Trump and the RNC owe him US $2,000,000 in unpaid legal fees for cases he filed to challenge the 2020 election result.

Its worth noting that the Digest report seems to be based on a New York Post report.

• Advertisement

Rudy's story is from his filings for bankruptcy and Rudy expected to be paid for work without a contract which is a "yea, best of luck" kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well hes about to get his own person in as the new Chairperson of the RNC so we can expect him to drain their accounts dry to serve whatever legal needs he requires. Will be very interesting to see what happens in this election if he continues burning money on non election based activities while Biden is out raising him quite consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That's a pity, I was hoping it'd drain money from the RNC and flow to Rudy's creditors instead.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And if he doesn't get re-elected, will the chair suffer the deserved fate for bankrupting the party for the loser or seek donations from the party fanbase that will be ringfenced [for once] from the loser's grip?

Ta@VL: I've just seen the Salon report by Gabrielle Ferrigine that Trump has publicly endorsed Michael Whatley, the R.N.C.'s general counsel and a proponent of his fraudulent election claims, to serve in McDaniel's stead after Ronna retires from the RNC Chairpersons job on March 8 next.

Senator McConnell has announced his retirement from his position as the GOP Senate leader saying he will be serving out his term as a senator until Jan 2027 but from a different seat in the senate to the one he is occupying now, as he put it "albeit from a different seat in the chamber" which he will move to on a date in Nov next.

In breaking news, SCOTUS has decided to hear and consider Trumps claim of presidential immunity from prosecution in April over his involvement in the election interference case putting on hold the criminal case being pursued by Jack Smith and will review a lower court's rejection of Trumps immunity from prosecution because he was president when he took actions aimed at reversing Biden's election victory over him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If they find that the President has that kind of immunity, there's not much separating the US from a tin pot dictatorship. Could have some pretty mad ramifications in the future unless it gets covered off with an explicit law change.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭thamus doku

But American presidents have been killing innocent civilians for decades and no other president has been prosecuted. I thought all American presidents had immunity while in office. I don’t understand why he is gone after and others are not. Same for the documents found at his house, Biden did the same and nothing happened.

i seriously in good faith want someone to explain to me what the hell is going on.

Also why trump inflating his property values to get more loans is bad when every other person who applies for a mortgage does the exact the same thing with their income and savings

I don’t care about politics and if trump wins or not does not bother me, I just can’t grasp how he is any different to any other power hungry megalomaniac who is involved in politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

I want you to tell me in good faith why Nixon needed a pardon if he was already immune to prosecution? Do you honestly think Biden should be allowed to have Trump killed if he so wished? Russia style politics? Feel free to go after other presidents yourself if you can find what laws have been broken.

Not everyone lies on mortgage applications. Maybe you should have a chat with local law enforcement.

Biden returned documents, Trump attempted to hide them.

You ask for a good faith argument but it comes down to other people in the world have done crimes so why bother prosecute any? Which is obviously complete nonsense.

Advertisement