Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

A different aspect of his campaign/s is the Dominion V Fox case, especially the stated-in-print opinions of some Fox celebrities and its owner about Trump himself made in respect to his unsuccessful campaign, which seems to be evidence provided by Fox itself, being put on public display by media outlets. I have to assume that he will make a statement in respect to the Fox celebrity opinions and that another may then use any explosions from him to further a presidential career.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm surprised he's still not back on Twitter. I heard, over a month ago, that apparently his team have been discussing what his first tweet should be. I believe there are some contractual issues with Truth Social but if he's serious about running for President that he probably needs to have a wider audience than the loons on there.

He must, maybe has, realised that with DeSantis in the game now that he will not have as many GOP voters willing to use their mandate for him when DeSantis is a much younger player engaged in politicking of a different kind from Trump, winning over the family faction. What snags has Trump run into where Truth Social and Twitter are concerned; which site may be insisting on Trump complying with legal obligations in exchange with freedom to perform on it's platform?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,042 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe that's the key question: is he serious?

The persecution narrative has been quite lucrative, and maintained a healthy base of sycophants and devotees willing to shell out cash to support their idol. Who needs the stress and hassle of a second term; especially one that'll curry a lot less patience, benefit of the doubt, and only invite even more scrutiny than before. Ok he's still in legal jeopardy but there's no great sign the GOP are ready to row in behind him again either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think he would actively run without being serious - he doesn't like even the impression of losing. I guess we'll know more in the next year, but I think he'll either make up some nonsense excuse not to run before then or go full in.

• Advertisement

He needs the validation of winning, so he's definitely not in it to lose.

He's just tremendously lazy and incompetent. Eventually he'll be back on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well when he ran for his first term he did not think he would win so he must have been prepared then to lose.

So it would be goid and kind of Ironic if he did run for this second term and lose again. He has already lost once trying to run for a second term so two in a row should really hurt and maybe shut him up for good.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Grifting off gullible GOP supporters is the most lucrative thing Trump has ever done in his life.

Losing again won't stop him - He'll just grift more cash for his non existent "appeals" again and pocket the cash , like he's doing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Depends on what you class as winning and losing. Don't think he ever thought he would actually win in 2016, he certainly had no plan in place for it.

Winning for him was increasing brand awareness, staying as a TV celebrity.

The 2020 election was about winning the POTUS, because he had it so it was his to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes it's quite disgusting but ten I woukd not expect anything else from such a vile creature.

Good point.

Hopefully he loses again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,042 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But: 2020 revealed the new escape hatch for him, even if it's the most dangerous narrative in modern American politics: that is, "the election was rigged, Trump was robbed". Don't have to worry about being a loser if the rhetoric says Trump never lost in the first place. We've seen often enough so far he doesn't care about the consequences of his words - I don't expect things to change now. IIRC Mike Lindell et al are still peddling the Stolen Election narrative on Newsmax and suchlike.

At this stage, is it that ludicrous to think that if he ran & lost the Primary, he wouldn't just fashion a new narrative that the GOP Mainstream are colluding with the Democrats? The cult of Trump has already divorced itself of anything resembling reality, it doesn't seem that extreme a jump. And as long as they keep throwing money and adoration towards Trump, would he care that much? And we've already seen the GOP leadership is kinda terrified of this Matt Gaetz, M.T. Greene lunatic rump.

Who knows if DeSantis might split the crazy "anti woke" vote, perhaps there's a chance of a circular firing squad here.

Yes but him lying about winning is not the same as actually winning. Yes, the base will always be there to lap up his lies and fall for his grifts. What he really really cares about, deep down though, is the validation from the people who he thinks have disrespected him his whole life: basically the same "elites" that he's always railed against. So the New York Times, establishment politicians, career diplomats, hell even other world leaders. When he won they all had to give him the respect due to the office. When he lost they were all free to ignore him again. He'd love to win again just to "show" those people.

YouTube has decided to reinstate Trumps account and let him post videos on its platform as he is running for president again.

Trump claiming on TruthSocial that he expects to be arrested on Tuesday, involving the case re. hush payments made to Stormy Daniels (remember her?). No confirmation or denial on the matter yet.

One has to suppose those who "supported" him from international media organisations to individual media hosts whose true positions have been shown in their own documents provided in ongoing court cases will probably be labelled by him as disloyal. It remains to be shown if he will let rip or restrain his feelings about those in control of YouTube and Facebook. The same probably applies to those big private funders who were with him in the past.

The Irish Examiner and MSNBC reports indicate that the arrest Trump expects is in relation to the NY Grand Jury hearings. Trump himself stated that the fact he expects to be arrested is based on what he refers to as an "illegal" leak from the Grand Jury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭amandstu

Would be fun if someone pulled off a citizen's arrest on the old geezer

They could identify themselves as "the Deep State"

Some-one repeated a question in the past day as to what Trump's Secret Service detail would do if another US law agency moved to arrest Trump on foot of an indictment and arrest warrant ordered served on him in a criminal matter? Would the agency the Secret Service answered to [Homeland Security] order the Secret Service to comply with its prime lawful and legal obligations to the US over any obligations the protection detail might feel it bore to Trump by standing aside to permit the arrest of Trump while providing the required degree of safety for Trump as an arrested person? I reckon either of the two agencies would have failed in their duties to prepare for such an arrest and plan procedures to cover the eventuality - even if it was kept in a secure filing cabinet. It would certainly decide matters in respect of the USSC and impartiality.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,319 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

They would not stop him being arrested. There is some precedent for this. Both of George W Bush's daughters had secret service details. Both were arrested for underage drinking and their detail did not intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭amandstu

Would his detail put themselves in legal jeopardy for impeding a lawful court order if they prevented his arrest? (ie be arrested themselves)

I understand he is not going to be arrested but may be asked to present himself .

If he refuses to comply I am not familiar with ensuing procedure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,319 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No, his detail would not put themselves jn legal jeopardy by impeding a lawful court order. The idea is preposterous.

You're right, there won't be an arrest and perpetual walk. He will be asked to attend with his lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,245 ✭✭✭✭looksee

His own secret service security would be disinterested rather than loyal toadies. They are only protecting him from illegal attack.

Completely OT aside re secret service: I was part of an entertainment group at an Irish castle for a minor event involving a US dignitary. The main gate was completely protected by gardai with everyone being checked. Meanwhile we were wandering in and out of a nearby and completely open side gate, all of us wearing (replica but still potentially dangerous) weapons of some sort, we had not been vetted or checked in any way. I was very amused to see one person wandering around wearing a badge that read 'Secret Service'.

Seems sensible to attend by appointment with a lawyer, same as happens here at Garda stations.

MSNBC and other news agencies are reporting that the NY Grand Jury has voted to indict Trump in connection with bribery in the Stormy Daniels case. It'd be nice of him if he just shows with his lawyers by pre-arrangement for whatever processing has to take place, and not with a mob this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is Trump we are talking about, he will want a mob there no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,920 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He won't get one.

When he asked people to turn up at the NY DA's office last week, the only ones that came were opponents of him.

The prosecution of Jan 6 perpetrators to the fullest have scared off the cowards that may have turned out for him previously. His rallies and appearances are barely 20% attended.

It should become evident soon, even to him, that his active base is ebbing away and that independent voters from 2016 are long gone from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I hope you are right on this. As entertaining January 6th was (if thats the right word), someone died needlessly. I am looking forward to his mugshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

an arrest and perpetual walk

shame, that sounds like a fitting Victorian-style punishment for a old school tycoon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

It was reported his team want a shot of him in handcuffs to boost the fundraising and for the spotlight. I don't think this case will harm him to much, but what might be coming elsewhere will give his legal team sleepless nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,468 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Holy crappolla is it finally happening?😁

"A lawyer for Donald Trump told the Associated Press on Thursday that he has been told the former president has been indicted on charges involving payments made during the 2016 presidential campaign to silence claims of an extramarital sexual encounter.

It becomes the first ever criminal case against a former US president and a jolt to Trump’s bid to retake the White House in 2024.

Joe Tacopina, a lawyer for Trump, said he had been told that a grand jury that had been meeting for months voted to indict Trump. The specific charges were not immediately made public."

Advertisement