Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

34 counts in the indictment. That sounds like more than just stormy stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,319 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It wont hurt him with his base, but nothing will do that. they are locked in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think they finally got Weiselberg to talk.

His recent change of lawyers supports that theory.

He ditched the Trump funded ones and got his own independent council.

Given how long he has been the Trump Org CFO, the dirt he might have could be monumental.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,872 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Going after an ex president like this just confirms to most Americans, that people are using their powers to go after an opponent for political reasons, it's not a good look, and you'd now expect the same to happen to Biden if the Republicans win 2024 race for the White House, tit for tat politics, we all know it's about stopping Trump's 2024 bid, I fear it's playing into his hands though, as he'll spin it his way.

If biden has broken the law then I would welcome him being prosecuted. None of trumps supporters can say the same thing. they (and presumably you) dont care that he has committed crimes.

• Advertisement

In all fairness every President has technically broken laws, the point is you don't go after them for stuff that is so trivial, stuff that the public has no interest in ,or effects the public in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,554 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Exactly. Weren't Trump and the GOP all in for locking up HC? Wan't that political?

And they went full in on Hunter Biden. He wasn't running or even involved in the campaign but it was useful to try to target Biden.

So claims of the law being unfair fall when the GOP and Trump have attempted to weaponize the law in their favour for years.

But if this is noting bit a political witch-hunt then Trump has nothing to worry about and, as his supporters continue to claim, a failure to actually convict will only help Trump. So I really fail to see how this is a bad thing for Trump.

I mean apart from Trump himself admitting the affair, apart from Guiliani admitting that the payment and the cover up did happen, Trump is obviously innocent.

And it always staggers me how quickly the right are prepared to allege that the justice system is totally biased and so easily manipulated against them, yet when ever one tries to discuss racism in police of the legal system it is always that the system works and shouldn't be called into question.

Trump broke the laws in question before he was president. Does becoming president wipe the slate clean? Give permanent immunity from prosecution?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Like who: who "technically" broke laws? And please don't say things like George W. Bush WRT Iraq or some-such: I'm asking about standard breakages of domestic law you're implying should be ignored.

The rule of law either exists, or it doesn't: equivocating about what the "public" is interested in or not has nothing to do with it. But introducing the sliding scale is exactly the kind of thin end of the wedge that breeds corruption and thinking that certain classes of society should be exempt.

We don't always manage to hold the rich and powerful to account - but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try, or nail them to the wall when they're this arrogantly brazen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Christy42

The hilarious thing is that we were assured that Trump was innocent because of innocent till proven guilty but now they are in a huff because people are about to prove Trump guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I love how things are framed, it’s all: everyone knows or the majority of Americans, we all know it’s…..

it’s direct from trumps own play book, say any aul crap and keep going ignoring reality along the way.

everything is a witch hunt he and his followers think that he should be above consequences for actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,231 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This indictment not only has its own merits, it also opens the gates for all the other ones in the pipeline. A former president has been indicted for the first time ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Someone once paraphrased Huey Long of Louisiana politics fame, which anticipated Trump’s Art of a Deal playbook published years later. And which Trump applies to politics today:

Good news is the best news. Bad news is the second best news. But no news is bad news for a politician.

In other words, Trump’s indictment is the second best news for his 2024 campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

This has to be followed through all the way for US democracy

This hush money hugely influenced the election

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

And Rudi explained how they funnelled it on live TV, the mind boggles

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That axiom has its limits though. As we have been increasingly seeing, the indulgence in Trumpism has shrunk; not to the extent the GOP has outright abandoned him and his acolytes but there's no strong indication he'll walk the Primary. Rather, it feels like the Reps are waiting for a cast iron, slam dunk candidate they can back. While his continued conspiratorial narrative, alongside the building legal jeopardy doesn't read like a winner.

Aside from anything else. His Presidency was an experiment that failed; while logic doesn't play well in American elections Trump has 4 years of chaos and a pandemic against the argument for another go at the wheel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,086 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

The potential 2024 GOP presidential candidates anticipate roughly 30 percent of Republican registered voters (Forever Trumpsters) giving Trump a plurality to win the primary. That Trump base is hard to beat in primaries.

Yes, the odds are, he'll be the GOP candidate. Let him run and lose again. Only way to puncture the madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The threat of violence like what we've seen in France in recent weeks is highly unlikely.

The biggest trick the media tried to convey was that there was lots of Trump voters. When really, in America Republican voters vote for the Republican candidate no matter who he is. They kept this trick up to anger those that hated Trump. It continues to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Could see him running again in 2028 if he were to lose again tbh.

He has minimum 35% of the party who are Trump dead-enders, they don't care about policy, they simply love Trump. Out of the other 65%,,,I would suggest their is best case scenario 5-15% of GOP voters who won't touch him in the primary, the rest will go with the flow. They probably think he is a berk but don't hugely dislike him either.

More than enough for Trump to work with.

I reckon he struggles when it comes to a rematch v Biden, MAGA candidates did SFA in the swing states in 2022, and I look at the likes of Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania , Wisconsin, New Hampshire and he starts as outsider in all of them. I could see North Carolina been close also.

How he wins even with the Electoral College, I don't know.

Post edited by Rjd2 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Trump has been repeating his it's Political and it's a Witch-hunt claims about the indictment but hasn't trotted out his Fake News line [afaik] about it which might be a sign that he knows there is evidence he cant rebut should he ever face trial. Depending what the DA decides to prosecute Trump with should decide whether Trump will be asked to testify and answer questions from the witness stand about the money given to Stormy Daniels on his behalf.

The mention of a charge related to financial fiddling might be connected to evidence from his former book-keeper who has lost the lawyers paid for by Trump's firm.

What continually amazes me is the Republicans fixation with Trump and it's intent to stand by him when he is neither a Republican loyalist nor a Republican Politician, just a chancer who doesn't give a damn about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

American conservativism is an absolute cesspit at the moment, but there's been an element of shitbaggery about it since Regan's time. Plus, there's a win at all costs attitude amongst American voters, even if that win comes at the cost of one's own best interests. On top of this you have a really stupid echelon of voters that simply can't see, refuse to see, (or worst of all) see and not care about the political nadir of people like Donald Trump, so long as they think he'll get one up on the people they hate.

The truly sad thing about it is that this isn't going to change any time soon. Probably not in our lifetimes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Probably the best thing going for the Democrats is their ability to keep their mouths closed and not respond to requests for comments about Trumps travails or other distractions, unlike the Republicans who don't. The way the Republicans governors and senators keep sprouting laws out of their ***** against freedoms they and others have just for the publicity they gain from their output should, with a bit of luck, run them out of road on which to do u-turns resulting in a an almighty pile-up for them.

All the big build up, and there was nothing , Trump had a tail light slightly dimmer than the other. Geez

Cohen paid Stormy, Trump repaid Cohen, oh wow, watch out Ted Bundy, there is a new evil in town. I feel sorry for Alvin Bragg, this is so embarrassing.

Well Cohen did jail time for that nothingburger.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Pfeiffer was being very kind in his description of his supporters if they think its about just paying Daniels

• Advertisement

I didn't pay much attention to be honest, if there was something major it would be on the news, but all I see is '' he forgot to cross the T's and dot the I's'' . It's all very sad.

Advertisement