Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Umm, maybe his new lawyer is too good a consigleiri.

Trump's situation put concisely. The Republican Party will find out 4 years what a trick it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Intc_pcyD3I

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The House January 6 select committee has officially voted to refer former president Donald Trump to the Department of Justice for prosecution on charges stemming from alleged violations of at least five separate sections of the United States criminal code, bringing an end to a 18-month investigation into his role in the Capitol riot.

By unanimous consent, the committee voted to transmit the panel’s findings to Justice Department Special Counsel Jack Smith, who in addition supervising the probe into Mr Trump’s possession of classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago estate, is overseeing ongoing investigations into the ex-president’s attempts to overturn his 2020 election loss to President Joe Biden.

Taken from here; best Christmas gift ever...

It would be nice to think that Trump will fund his legal actions against any Jan 06th offences charges brought against him from the voluntary contributions of GOP supporters and people who bought into his non-fungible token scheme, what with the Jan 06 Committee's suggestions to DOJ. It's amusing to see that he used the temptation of giving free goodies to sucker in buyers. If non-fungible tokens cannot be exchanged but can be sold on, the Trump tokens actual value should soon be seen on whatever markets trade in tokens. Hopefully there will be no market appetite for the tokens.

Adding the apparent awakening in future hopeful GOP candidates as to the dead weight effect Trump is having on their chances to a failure of Trumps token sales to people he is trying to sucker in will hit hopefully him on two fronts. Despite Mitch McConnell being a GOP chancer through and through, I'd like to think his statement yesterday that everyone in the US knows who was responsible for the Jan 06 event was genuine in content. Bleed Trump dry financially and have his former staffers turn on him in court to save their own skins as the GOP disowns him.

CNN is running a report that Trump's White House chief legal advisor, a lawyer, told Cassidy Hutchinson to tell the Jan 06 committee in her testimony [if asked] that she did not recall events and things she was fully cognizant with and knew occurred. As the content of the report was being discussed by the 4 people on the CNN news panel, it was mentioned by one of the panel that Cassidy Hutchinson got another lawyer to advise and represent her.

A practicing lawyer advising a person to tell the committee that she could not recall the events of the period connected to the Jan 06 when she had a full memory of the events is not simply bad advice, it's a breaking of the obligation the lawyer has to uphold the law, telling her that it was OK to tell the committee lies under oath. It seems the White House lawyer, at the time of the advisement, was fully aware that Cassidy Hutchinson had the knowledge the lawyer advised her to mislead the committee on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭amandstu

Maybe Trump should sell or franchise medals or badges that say the bearer is proud to lie for Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Already has. Instead of badges, he went with a red hat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,078 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Trump's White House chief legal advisor, a lawyer

like how you had to specify that...

Another question for US correspondents on this thread. Is Jamie Raskin floating a balloon to test reaction-waters, upset Trump, talking about new year wishes or genuine in his statement that he believes trump is likely to be indicted AND will spend the rest of his life behind bars? I'm looking at an MSN facebook post inclusive of the word Newsweek near the top. I really don't see Trump in a federal or state place of detention any time soon myself, however much I would appreciate him being a guest of the state [using either meaning of that last word] in said facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Likely his mates buying plenty to make the prices go up I think?

Anyway he is threatening the obvious, a bit of a grim message "vote for me I'l make sure a Dem will be president"

I'm not sure how this would work out for him, he is petty enough for sure, but their is a lot of work involved in this and also is it in his best overall interests for the Dems to have the white house, senate and house in 2024?

RDS or any other GOP politician in the big chair would keep the wolves from the door, however a spoiler campaign which would likely end in a dem trifecta why would the GOP lift a finger in 2024?

hE'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He wouldn't have to do much work to be honest.

Get himself on the ballots in the various States, home a few rallies and collect donations from idiots.

He'd only need to collect ~10% of the vote to utterly screw the GOP candidate.

19 States had winning margins of ~10% or less in 2020 between both parties , Trump pulling that sort of vote away from the GOP results in absolute destruction for them.

It would lose them an additional 7 States over the 2020 results including Texas and Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Sure he's already massively damaged the GOP vote for years to come thanks to covid scepticism leading to many more Republicans dying than Democrats, then there's the constant telling people how every election is rigged so more and more of his supporters aren't even bothering to vote at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

its pretty obvious it’s a massive con on his followers. He’ll talk a big game, take in the donations and run away before shot gets real.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Of course but what happens when Biden wins and the dems clean up everywhere? If I were Trump I would want friends in high places.

Trump and the social con's have always had a strange relationship, both loath each other but because Trump has delivered when it comes to abortion and the social cons came out to vote for Trump all was good.

I'm not sure its wise going after them though and running from what many on the right says was his finest achievement when in power.

https://twitter.com/ChrisMegerian/status/1609664538181255171

One may tend to laugh at this. Don has said he did his best to support the anti-abortion side in the overturning by the USSC of the Roe V Wade decision and in the same statement accused the Evangelicals of a failure in support in the 2022 campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,684 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I see Virgin One have a program on at 9pm tonight about Trump and Janarary the 6th 2021?

It's called "Trump's Last Stand"

Think it might look at what his chance of goinf dir a second term in the future are too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can't parody Trump

Former President Donald Trump, who once said, "If you're innocent, why are you taking the Fifth?" invoked the 5th amendment over 400 times while being questioned under oath as part of the New York Attorney General's investigation into the Trump Organization's business practices.

Has Trump made any statements about Nicky Haley announcing her presidential campaign yet?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No..

He wants her to run , he needs her to split the vote for DeSantis.

He'll only really mock people that he sees as a risk to him.

Haley is not a risk, she hasn't a snowballs chance but every percentage point that she gains will come from people that were never going to vote for Trump anyway , so she's actually a benefit to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭Sparko

Tame so far. An email saying she supports cutting Medicare and social security.

And a comment to Fox "welcoming" her but also unsubtly mentioning that she previously committed not to run against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

She's most likely to be his VP when he wins the primary so its going to be tame stuff between them.

That's another issue for DeSantis, Haley knows Trump is a disaster, but from her POV she is thinking becoming his VP is her most likely route to the top slot in 2028. These no hopers know the longer they stay in the race the more damage they do to RDS, Trump will make it worth their while.

He's really understood how politics is played then, speaking out of both sides of his mouth to her at the same time: glad she's running and she should not be bound by her promise not to run against him. The promise might be in his mind only.

Now that was a fascinating and surprising interview.I think she has stars in her eyes.

I bet Trump wished she was on his team.

On CNN they were saying she may have compromised the case against him by being so candid :-(

She may as well have been on his team for all the damage she has done an absolute disgrace that someone so unserious is the foreperson of such a monumental case.

Hopefully she is removed because she has given Trump's team so much ammo sadly.

Has her role in the process ended now,though?

How can she be removed if their part has been played?

Can they go for a re"trial" on the basis that she has divulged restricted information and so kick the case down the road?

It's hard to know as when I looked up so much spin out their from all sides but this from CNN which is relatively balanced.

Although a massive strike against them and MSNBC , the people who approved this booking knew it was so risky, but they wanted the views and she she attention. I don't think the girl is a bad person whatsoever and I feel terrible she is probably getting all sorts of abuse from the MAGA fruitcakes but nonetheless the prosecutors must be fuming.

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1628393065198022659

The judge who supervised the hearings, when asked about the contents of the forepersons interview, that it was ok for the foreperson to make the statements she made, in so far as she did not step outside the boundary of what could be said in respect to the actual evidence/statements given during the grand jury hearing. At the end of the day now, due to the case's political connotations, personal opinions will direct the way her statements will be read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

This is the only thing that makes sense. She has refused to criticise Trump or his record in office when given the chance, which leads to the obvious question of why she is running against him. To that she gives some mealy mouthed response of wanting the baton to "pass to the new generation". The obvious rebuttal to that is that she thinks that Trump is tool old now to which she says "No" and points to him passing some cognitive tests.

For her sake I really do hope that she's stitched up a deal with Trump because if she hasn't then I don't know what her plan is. It's like 2015 again where they all think they can avoid criticising Trump so that they can "inherit" his voters when he inevitably flames out. We all saw how that worked out last time.

RDS certainly won't be able to get away with that plan. He's going to have to come after Trump because Trump sure as hell will be coming after him. Brian Kemp was able to get re-elected in Georgia in November after getting hammered by Trump, without criticising him back - but he wasn't running against Trump directly. If RDS is up there on a debate stage with Trump saying the most horrible things about him and his family he's just going to look like Jeb Bush or Ted Cruz if he doesn't go after him.

• Advertisement

He lost his cool way to easily against Crist an absolute loser last year on the debate stage which is a big worry for him.

However yeah if all these people are going to say on stage " Trump is amazing , I love his policies but vote for me because I am young" then God help them.

Not a massive shock as he was going nowhere in a primary. It's a shame because he would have been one of the few who may have took the gloves off against Trump but alas not to be. Cotton, Hawley and Cruz all have ruled themselves out, I'd assume fellow blue state governors Baker and Sunanu will soon enough. Mike Pompeo, Tim Scott, Kristi Noem and Mike Pence are the only big hitters (bar RDS) left I think who have not declared one way or other whether they will run.

Advertisement