Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

corkonion wrote: »
    Once again, Ireland's vaccine supply has been revised downwards, Minister Donnolly told the Dail that supply for April would be slightly under a million doses, when questioned further the figure became 860,000. Thats including the j+j supply, at this rate we will be going back to give the very elderly a booster shot before we are fully vaccinated.

Earlier in the week they said 2m in April & May with more in May than April. Unless May is being scaled back too this seems like a consistent message with an average of 1m. It would always have to be slightly backended as the mass vaccinations are not starting today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Marcusm wrote: »
    Earlier in the week they said 2m in April & May with more in May than April. Unless May is being scaled back too this seems like a consistent message with an average of 1m. It would always have to be slightly backended as the mass vaccinations are not starting today.

They also said that every adult in the country would have at least 1 vaccination by the end of June. That means 2nd week in July for all adults to have both jabs.
    Was this another lie? Im really getting sick of them talking out of the other side of their mouths.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,995 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

FFS indeed. I did explain what I was talking about. I'm trying to engage with you and explain my thought process, so I don't really appreciate the comparison with people who are just spouting one liners in this instance. You just follow up with more and more questions in an attempt to pick a hole in my argument. Why? I'm one person posting on boards. I don't have all the answers, nor do I claim to.

I find it interesting that when I asked a question, you completely ignored it, yet you expect me to keep answering yours:

I don’t know at what point it becomes a failure of policy rather then a failure of people. I don’t claim to know.

I just asked you to explain your idea. It’s not even at t he level of scrutiny. It’s the much higher level of gaining clarity about what you actually mean.

You said we should have had harsher, shorter lockdowns, with periods of looser restrictions in between. That highlights 3 major variables:
    1 what should harsher lockdowns restrictions consist of.
    2 what restrictions should the periods between lockdowns have and,
    3. How long should the harsher lockdowns last.

That’s not scrutiny. It’s just asking what you actually mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

JimmyVik wrote: »
    They also said that every adult in the country would have at least 1 vaccination by the end of June. That means 2nd week in July for all adults to have both jabs.
    Was this another lie? Im really getting sick of them talking out of the other side of their mouths.

They didn't say everyone would have a vaccination by the end of June, they said would "be offered one" by the end of June, the offer could be for an appointment later than June.
    Irish politics

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

If Duffy’s are hiring Stephen Donnelly should apply as he isn’t capable of doing his current job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Once again, Ireland's vaccine supply has been revised downwards, Minister Donnolly told the Dail that supply for April would be slightly under a million doses, when questioned further the figure became 860,000. Thats including the j+j supply, at this rate we will be going back to give the very elderly a booster shot before we are fully vaccinated.

Donnelly needs to go as Minister for Health - hes the most useless Health Minister ever.

Between vaccinations being revised down again and fighting with the Dept Of Foreign affairs over adding more countries to the mandatory quarantine list which it looks like he went alone on without the AGs advice - hes out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,403 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They didn't say everyone would getting a first dose by June and even if they did, that would still not come close to meaning everyone getting a 2nd dose by mid July. The gap is up to 3 months between doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I don’t know at what point it becomes a failure of policy rather then a failure of people. I don’t claim to know.

I just asked you to explain your idea. It’s not even at t he level of scrutiny. It’s the much higher level of gaining clarity about what you actually mean.

You said we should have had harsher, shorter lockdowns, with periods of looser restrictions in between. That highlights 3 major variables:
    1 what should harsher lockdowns restrictions consist of.
    2 what restrictions should the periods between lockdowns have and,
    3. How long should the harsher lockdowns last.

That’s not scrutiny. It’s just asking what you actually mean.

No, that's asking me to spell out a detailed plan. This all stemmed from my post saying there's too much focus on what people are doing wrong rather than what government have done wrong. We've already drifted significantly from that point.

Asking me to outline what specific lockdown measures should be applied is absurd. I don't know. I don't claim to know. This is a bit like when people criticise a football manager and people respond with "what would you do better/who would you appoint instead?".

Strict restrictions have been re-introduced in Belgium on foot of the rise in numbers due to UK variant.

The "strict restrictions" includes unlimited travel within the country.
    Families and friends can meet outdoors.
    Restaurants are still open
    Shops are still open

It would make you laugh at what's happening here in Ireland, and has happened since 26 December. Utterly depressing considering we are now 4 months into UK variant and our numbers are far far smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Strict restrictions have been re-introduced in Belgium on foot of the rise in numbers due to UK variant.

Shops are still open

It would make you laugh at what's happening here in Ireland, and has happened since 26 December. Utterly depressing considering we are now 4 months into UK variant and our numbers are far far smaller.

Belgium are one of the worst countries in the world when it's come to handling this pandemic.
    They've had an absolute shocker.

Why would we follow their lead?

• Advertisement

Belgium are one of the worst countries in the world when it's come to handling this pandemic.
    They've had an absolute shocker.

Why would we follow their lead?

Exactly! Why should we be in a stricter lockdown for a much longer time than Belgium if our numbers in hospital and ICU are far lower??

Talk about a sledgehammer to crack a nut! Some counties have had no new cases for days in Ireland. This has being going on since 26th December FFS, today is 1st April........

We shouldn't follow any lead. We should take action for ourselves and give people some hope after the strictest and longest lockdown in the world. We also should have bought our separate supply of vaccine months ago. This country will be crippled, no construction, hundreds of thousands of jobs lost (including mine), 2 year backlog for public hospital appointments already and growing every single day...............................

Exactly! Why should we be in a stricter lockdown for a much longer time than Belgium if our numbers in hospital and ICU are far lower??

I'd expect to hear this line on Monty Python.

https://www.thejournal.ie/what-vaccine-deliveries-can-ireland-and-the-eu-expect-from-april-onwards-5388094-Mar2021/

From last Friday (26th March) to the end of April 1m was expected.
    Unless folk are 100% sure nothing arrived between then and today 860k arriving in April may not be at all off track.

AZ is 3 months between doses so the bolded piece isn't at all correct. Pfizer is 3 to 4 weeks between doses.
    Folk with less knowledge than they should have critiquing things they know little about and spattering the internet with their misinformed ire is something I'm getting sick of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Talk about a sledgehammer to crack a nut! Some counties have had no new cases for days in Ireland. This has being going on since 26th December FFS, today is 1st April........

We shouldn't follow any lead. We should take action for ourselves and give people some hope after the strictest and longest lockdown in the world. We also should have bought our separate supply of vaccine months ago. This country will be crippled, no construction, hundreds of thousands of jobs lost (including mine), 2 year backlog for public hospital appointments already and growing every single day...............................

Sorry, but that all sounds terrible.

We shouldn't follow any lead? ****ing awful idea to not learn from others.

As for the rest.. we can't compete with larger countries for supplies of vaccine. There is some construction going on. 80 to 100 thousand job losses is being predicted by the central bank. The backlog for hospital treatments will get even longer if we loosen restrictions further.

Sorry to hear about your own job.

Augeo wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/what-vaccine-deliveries-can-ireland-and-the-eu-expect-from-april-onwards-5388094-Mar2021/

From last Friday (26th March) to the end of April 1m was expected.
    Unless folk are 100% sure nothing arrived between then and today 860k arriving in April may not be at all off track.

112k arrived last night and 860k still expected in April........ https://www.thejournal.ie/vaccine-target-5398517-Apr2021/

That's over 970k :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,995 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No, that's asking me to spell out a detailed plan. This all stemmed from my post saying there's too much focus on what people are doing wrong rather than what government have done wrong. We've already drifted significantly from that point.

Asking me to outline what specific lockdown measures should be applied is absurd. I don't know. I don't claim to know. This is a bit like when people criticise a football manager and people respond with "what would you do better/who would you appoint instead?".

Ah, yeah but if you don’t claim to know how to do it better then how do you actually claim to know it wasn’t done well to begin with?

Maybe I gave you too much credit. I thought you had an actual idea which was more than a one-liner without any thought behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Ah, yeah but if you don’t claim to know how to do it better then how do you actually claim to know it wasn’t done well to begin with?

Maybe I gave you too much credit. I thought you had an actual idea which was more than a one-liner without any thought behind it.

Are you deliberately trying to be frustrating at this point? My original post simply pointed out that I think there should be more focus on what government have done wrong rather than finger wagging every time someone steps out of line.

If you think asking me to come up with my own detailed COVID strategy is a reasonable response to that, I don't think the issue is with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

When they're planning on rapid testing on schools for September, you'd wonder if this is ever ending.

https://www.thejournal.ie/rapid-testing-antigen-ireland-5398593-Apr2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Shops are still open

There's a whole new different virus circulating in Ireland though... Stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

They really are giving us a dose of dia Dora with this long COVID trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭patnor1011

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Yeah, cause insurance companies are notorious for paying out when they don't have to.

They live from what you pay them. If you think they would refuse collect payments you are naïve.

Yeah, I'm a covid nerd. So what?
    I know the data and I know what I'm talking about.

If you've like to have a conversation with someone that's misinformed, be my guest. There's plenty around.

Thing is, you only think you know. That is what you get when you look at world with covid glasses on.

And that is what I call scam. We will never be "fully vaccinated" as a lot of people will not bother taking a "vaccine" which offer you some hypothetical reduction of severity mainly if it will require "booster" every year or tweaking for different strains.
    This will end up the same way as flu vaccines. People who got scared from what media bombarded them with will line up for their vaccine and then boosters and every year there will be less and less of them.

Augeo wrote: »
    AZ is 3 months between doses so the bolded piece isn't at all correct. Pfizer is 3 to 4 weeks between doses.
    Folk with less knowledge than they should have critiquing things they know little about and spattering the internet with their misinformed ire is something I'm getting sick of.

Who would want to take AZ vaccine given that they were caught submitting outdated data from their vaccine trials to look better than they actually are.
    Like 63-67% efficiency in reducing symptoms isn't any particular lifesaving measure worth to talk about. It is quite close to 50:50 situation...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

This was mentioned yesterday on leaders questions. We're still on track to meet the two million in April and May, with April being 860k and May being just short of 1.2 million.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

patnor1011 wrote: »
    And that is what I call scam. We will never be "fully vaccinated" as a lot of people will not bother taking a "vaccine" which offer you some hypothetical reduction of severity mainly if it will require "booster" every year or tweaking for different strains.
    This will end up the same way as flu vaccines. People who got scared from what media bombarded them with will line up for their vaccine and then boosters and every year there will be less and less of them.

I'll tell you one thing, I wish I had been vaccinated before I got the dose I did at Christmas. Tested positive early January and I've never been as rattled in my life, I was hospitalised and am still short of breath, get dizzy and have circulatory issues because of long Covid. I don't know what planet or conspiracy loop you've found yourself in but you've clearly been misled. I'm 29 by the way, fit as fiddle with no underlying so I'm thankful I got it young anyway but getting this vaccine should be everyone's number one priority, if not for yourself then the people around you.

All this turning your nose up to clear as day science in favour of complete misinformation is madness. It's our modern day Copernicus story, you'll be telling me the earth doesn't revolve around the sun next.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0330/1207084-polio-workers-afghanistan/

There might be a job in the Taliban for you, they seem to be anti-vaxx like yourself.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

titan18 wrote: »
    When they're planning on rapid testing on schools for September, you'd wonder if this is ever ending.

https://www.thejournal.ie/rapid-testing-antigen-ireland-5398593-Apr2021/

You'd wonder why these tests haven't been used before now.....we'll be vaccinated by then...or some of us anyway.

Will we see common theraputics sometime in the near future too...wouldn't surprise me in the slightest..after the population has been vaccinated.

Will we see a drive to improve Vit D...probably after we are all vaccinated.

I'd pay a €5 for a test myself if I was allowed in venues if I felt it was worth it...would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Thing is, you only think you know. That is what you get when you look at world with covid glasses on.

And what attire lets you see "da truff"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Turn off Fake News RTE already. Florida hasn't had a lockdown since last year. No masks, social distancing or anything.
    Karate why do you keep telling this lie? You've been corrected on it several times so you do know it's a lie. And in the very same post as you're telling lies, you're calling RTE fake news. The irony!

Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Tallahasse, all still require masks. The only one of the top 5 metropolitan areas in Florida that does not require a mask is Jacksonville and that's only since Monday. Many businesses in Jacksonville and the schools system there still requiring marks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement