Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will it all end?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Lundstram wrote: »
    I would say anyone expecting fit and healthy 14-25 year olds to stay indoors for over 3 months

They weren't asked to stay indoors for over 3 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Graham wrote: »
    I don't recall suggesting that wasn't a point of concern.

I don't recall you saying it was a concern either. You took issue that I mentioned it. I also noticed you had no comment to make to the poster that said those jobs were of low value to the economy, notwithstanding the fact there is 100,000 people behind that statistic. I have nothing further to say to you on the topic that I haven't already said.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

patnor1011 wrote: »
    They already do. My old neighbors visit each other regularly. If the weather is nice you do have 5-10 of them happily chatting together. None of them bothers with any distancing or masks.
    Lol I do have neighbors both of them working for HSE as nurses and they have friends and family at their house every day. They used to have family barbecue during the first lockdown. And ever since...
    Guards at a checkpoint waving you with a smile and have a nice day. If it rains they just sit in a car. Only people deep in covid end of the world religion think that people follow restrictions. Vast majority stopped long time ago and quite rightly so. We need social contact and interaction with others.
    You must be not quite right in the head if you really followed all of it to the letter.

Even NPHET have accepted people wont adhere to the restrictions with Glynn asking people who intend meeting to do so outdoors.

Even Glynn has accepted hes losing the battle.

LameBeaver wrote: »
    The majority of which were of low value to the economy anyway or which would have been lost in the near future even without any Covid restrictions .

Can you show the evidence you have that they would have being lost?

Good to see you care about those low value people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Media and social media are pointing the finger at people for breaking the restrictions instead of at government for imposing restrictions for too long. It was acknowledged last March/April that harsh restrictions should be temporary (no more than a few weeks). That seems to have been forgotten this year. Do people not remember how long a year felt when they were in their late teens/early 20s? Is it any wonder a lot of people in that age group have had enough?

Of course some people will break restrictions. That’s a given. We ban theft but that doesn’t mean nobody will ever steal. It just gives a mechanism to deal with breaches of the rule.

If not through restrictions, how would you suggest the government gets the numbers down over the last year? Take the post Christmas period as an example. How should they have dealt with it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The majority of which were of low value to the economy anyway or which would have been lost even without any Covid restrictions .

Obviously pretty hard to prove something would have happened...

I think retail already are (and will continue to be) particularly hard hit.

Covid has accelerated a trend that's been seen across many countries where retail is shifting from a purely shop/shelf based proposition to a blended model consisting of traditional outlets, online shopping and dabbling in more experiential type outlets. As employment in the former decreases, employment in the latter is likely to increase although who knows if it will be to the same level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

It's basically what the CB have stated.

These job losses are not a result of the lockdowns, but more the result of the pandemic itself.
    People have dramatically changed how they work and how they shop. This is going to have consequences for footfall in traditional customer facing businesses in cities and towns.

It was all happening prior to the pandemic, but covid accelerated it to a huge extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Remind me again how many threads on this forum you have been banned from chief.

Mod

Dont post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Of course some people will break restrictions. That’s a given. We ban theft but that doesn’t mean nobody will ever steal. It just gives a mechanism to deal with breaches of the rule.

If not through restrictions, how would you suggest the government gets the numbers down over the last year? Take the post Christmas period as an example. How should they have dealt with it?

It's also a given that the longer restrictions last, the more people will break them. At what point does it become a failure of policy rather than a failure of the people?

Post Christmas, I think harsh restrictions were the correct choice. If anything, I think they should have been even harsher, with more strict enforcement but, and this is the key part, for a shorter period of time. Short, harsh, proper lockdowns with periods of relative relaxation in between would be preferable to the not really lockdown but it might as well be for the majority of people we've been in for the majority of the last 6 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

We are now at the beginning of the end-the people have voted with their feet.

• Advertisement

It's also a given that the longer restrictions last, the more people will break them. At what point does it become a failure of policy rather than a failure of the people?

Post Christmas, I think harsh restrictions were the correct choice. If anything, I think they should have been even harsher, with more strict enforcement but, and this is the key part, for a shorter period of time. Short, harsh, proper lockdowns with periods of relative relaxation in between would be preferable to the not really lockdown but it might as well be for the majority of people we've been in for the majority of the last 6 months.

Harsh lockdown was not the plan. Proactive suppression was the methodology in play, but the government made a balls of it over Christmas leaving us in this predicament.

There are no good options available to us at the moment. I think what we're currently doing is close enough to the least worst option.

sabat wrote: »
    We are now at the beginning of the end-the people have voted with their feet.

Actually, mobility data suggests we're still doing well on the adherence front.

Harsh lockdown was not the plan. Proactive suppression was the methodology in play, but the government made a balls of it over Christmas leaving us in this predicament.

There are no good options available to us at the moment. I think what we're currently doing is close enough to the least worst option.

I agree they made a balls of things over Christmas to be fair. For all I want to see a faster opening now, I also think the speed and extent of our opening at Christmas was a mistake.

I agree they made a balls of things over Christmas to be fair. For all I want to see a faster opening now, I also think the speed and extent of our opening at Christmas was a mistake.

The speed and extent was a mistake, and arguably a bigger one was not shutting down again prior to Christmas as the size of our mistake was made clear in the data.

I'd love to see a faster reopening too, but I can also understand nphet's hesitancy to provide it. It would undoubtedly be a big gamble.
    One worth taking? For some. Maybe

Given that the post Christmas lockdown was necessary from just a few weeks of relaxed restrictions, you’re talking about a few weeks off from restrictions which creates the conditions for necessary lockdown (harsh lockdown for a month or whatever you’d suggest is reasonable) then lift lots of restrictions for a few weeks and back to necessary harsh lockdown. And that’s assuming that very harsh lockdown can get the numbers down in that short time.

You might think that’s a better system, but it’s not a whole lot better than the system we have. Businesses wouldn’t be happy with unpredictable opening and closing. It’s probably a case of far away hills are greener. We even had loads of posters claiming they’d prefer the curfew system in France. I can absolutely bet my life that those people would not be happy with a 6pm curfew system. They might be slightly more or less happy, but not very different. But, far away hills...

The fact that the weather is warming means that we can afford to have more people flout the rules on occasion and still keep transmissions relatively stable and hopefully drop ICU numbers and hopefully have as many adults as possible vaccinated by winter. Then hope for the best next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The speed and extent was a mistake, and arguably a bigger one was not shutting down again prior to Christmas as the size of our mistake was made clear in the data.

I'd love to see a faster reopening too, but I can also understand nphet's hesitancy to provide it. It would undoubtedly be a big gamble.
    One worth taking? For some. Maybe
    Israel is showing the benefits of vaccines, but also that cases decline relatively slowly because there are still lots of unvaccinated people who can get seriously sick.

If we take our foot off the brake, and propel cases up into the thousands, we'll just prolong this in my opinion. Keep cases suppressed until we have at least 50% vaccinated - it will hurt more in the short term, but allow almost-normality in the second half of the year.

Given that the post Christmas lockdown was necessary from just a few weeks of relaxed restrictions, you’re talking about a few weeks off from restrictions which creates the conditions for necessary lockdown (harsh lockdown for a month or whatever you’d suggest is reasonable) then lift lots of restrictions for a few weeks and back to necessary harsh lockdown. And that’s assuming that very harsh lockdown can get the numbers down in that short time.

Those few weeks involved a wildly irresponsible relaxation of restrictions. It should be no surprise that they resulted in a huge spike in cases. When I'm talking about a relaxation I'm not talking about anything approaching what we had at Christmas.
    You might think that’s a better system, but it’s not a whole lot better than the system we have. Businesses wouldn’t be happy with unpredictable opening and closing. It’s probably a case of far away hills are greener. We even had loads of posters claiming they’d prefer the curfew system in France. I can absolutely bet my life that those people would not be happy with a 6pm curfew system. They might be slightly more or less happy, but not very different. But, far away hills...

Maybe not for you. For someone in a new job in a county 5 hours from my family and friends with only my partner for company, our current system is becoming unbearable. I can't imagine what it's like for those living alone. Businesses mightn't be happy, but some of them would certainly be happier with opening and closing rather than our current stay closed for an undefined period of time model.
    The fact that the weather is warming means that we can afford to have more people flout the rules on occasion and still keep transmissions relatively stable and hopefully drop ICU numbers and hopefully have as many adults as possible vaccinated by winter. Then hope for the best next winter.

I agree with that for the most part, but I'd go further and say as the weather gets better, why does outdoor hospitality not seem to be under consideration? There's little evidence that significant spread occurs outdoors.

Those few weeks involved a wildly irresponsible relaxation of restrictions. It should be no surprise that they resulted in a huge spike in cases. When I'm talking about a relaxation I'm not talking about anything approaching what we had at Christmas.

Maybe not for you. For someone in a new job in a county 5 hours from my family and friends with only my partner for company, our current system is becoming unbearable. I can't imagine what it's like for those living alone. Businesses mightn't be happy, but some of them would certainly be happier with opening and closing rather than our current stay closed for an undefined period of time model.

Do what kind of restrictions should they have imposed during the relaxed periods between harsher lockdowns?

Do what kind of restrictions should they have imposed during the relaxed periods between harsher lockdowns?

Is there any chance of you imposing this level of scrutiny on the decisions government make?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

It ends when we don’t comply anymore. Scores of people have been partying in parks around England over the week but there was simply too many people for the police to do anything but point the finger and give a half shrug.

Things are moving in the right direction. I’ve been back and forth between Ireland and the UK since the start of this and people who were very afraid and followed restrictions to a tee during the first lockdown couldn’t give a fiddlers anymore. Apart from mandatory mask wearing in shops, very few are going along hook, line and sinker anymore. Especially with the good weather. Guards can’t be arsed enforcing it either.

All pubs and business could open tomorrow and that would be it. This farce of a media scare would be over.

Things are going in the right direction in people’s minds. They are starting to become wise to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Parachutes wrote: »
    It ends when we don’t comply anymore. Scores of people have been partying in parks around England over the week but there was simply too many people for the police to do anything but point the finger and give a half shrug.

Things are moving in the right direction. I’ve been back and forth between Ireland and the UK since the start of this and people who were very afraid and followed restrictions to a tee during the first lockdown couldn’t give a fiddlers anymore. Apart from mandatory mask wearing in shops, very few are going along hook, line and sinker anymore. Especially with the good weather. Guards can’t be arsed enforcing it either.

All pubs and business could open tomorrow and that would be it. This farce of a media scare would be over.

Things are going in the right direction in people’s minds. They are starting to become wise to it.

Yep, all just open with no public liability insurance, what could go wrong......

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Yep, all just open with no public liability insurance, what could go wrong......

It would be reinstated fairly quick I can tell you......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Parachutes wrote: »
    It would be reinstated fairly quick I can tell you......

Yeah, cause insurance companies are notorious for paying out when they don't have to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Actually, mobility data suggests we're still doing well on the adherence front.

Yet another poster who joined in 2020, has no other interests than covid19, and writes in a style reminiscent of a government wonk. I can actually visualise someone in a conference room pointing at a slideshow saying this sentence.

sabat wrote: »
    Yet another poster who joined in 2020, has no other interests than covid19, and writes in a style reminiscent of a government wonk. I can actually visualise someone in a conference room pointing at a slideshow saying this sentence.

Yeah, I'm a covid nerd. So what?
    I know the data and I know what I'm talking about.

If you've like to have a conversation with someone that's misinformed, be my guest. There's plenty around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

"Mobility data"

Another buzz word made up by people who like to fingerwag at the so called selfish pricks having the cheek to leave their homes.

Lundstram wrote: »
    "Mobility data"

Another buzz word made up by people who like to fingerwag at the so called selfish pricks having the cheek to leave their homes.

It's two words, and it's used to describe data derived from the location of people's phones.

I'm not using it to "fingerwag". The opposite in fact. I'm saying that compliance is still pretty good.

Is there any chance of you imposing this level of scrutiny on the decisions government make?

Ah, ffs. I don’t have access to any go any government decision makers. I was asking you to actually explain what you were talking about before seeing it it was a good idea or not. I know that’s not generally how this thread works. Generally it’s about spaffing of a one liner about Tony Hoolahoop or Leaky Leo, and expecting lots of thanks and absolutely no request to explain what you've said.

I just asked you to outline what you mean. It should be easy enough to do IF you know the practical meaning of what you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭corkonion

Once again, Ireland's vaccine supply has been revised downwards, Minister Donnolly told the Dail that supply for April would be slightly under a million doses, when questioned further the figure became 860,000. Thats including the j+j supply, at this rate we will be going back to give the very elderly a booster shot before we are fully vaccinated.

• Advertisement

Ah, ffs. I don’t have access to any go any government decision makers. I was asking you to actually explain what you were talking about before seeing it it was a good idea or not. I know that’s not generally how this thread works. Generally it’s about spaffing of a one liner about Tony Hoplahoop or leaky Leo, and expecting lots of thanks and absolutely no request to explain what you've said.

I just asked you to outline what you mean. It should be easy enough to do IF you know the practical meaning of what you said.

FFS indeed. I did explain what I was talking about. I'm trying to engage with you and explain my thought process, so I don't really appreciate the comparison with people who are just spouting one liners in this instance. You just follow up with more and more questions in an attempt to pick a hole in my argument. Why? I'm one person posting on boards. I don't have all the answers, nor do I claim to.

I find it interesting that when I asked a question, you completely ignored it, yet you expect me to keep answering yours:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement