Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tina Satchwell *Mod note in op*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Ann22 wrote: »
    Perhaps yes, they have identified the body.. whoever she is and are preparing a book of evidence to present to the DPP before they open the media floodgates?

That's my gut here, no updates to the media - they'll probably move in soon in the next 2 weeks.

They have Tina's DNA so there's no question with regards to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,322 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A few weeks back they were saying it will be another week or two and there’s no mention of it since.
    Crimecall is in March 1st and I think if there is going to be an appeal to try and identify who this maybe it will be said around this date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

DNA identifying takes a max of one month; and they do have access to Tina's family DNA - there are known relatives.

Therefore the Guards DO know by know if it is or if it isn't the body of Mrs Satchwell.

Bear in mind that the earlier reports all said that this skeleton is of a woman over 50.

Watching with interest to see if this turns up on Crimecall - I bet it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,322 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Day Lewin wrote: »

From what I remember it would generally be sort of in the news during the day before they make a proper appeal on Crimecall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

DNA identifying takes a max of one month; and they do have access to Tina's family DNA - there are known relatives.

Therefore the Guards DO know by know if it is or if it isn't the body of Mrs Satchwell.

Bear in mind that the earlier reports all said that this skeleton is of a woman over 50.

I agree - they know at this stage if it’s Tina or not and I firmly believe that they would have said by now if it wasn’t her. There must be a reason for the silence. I still think they are getting their ducks in a row.

• Advertisement

In fairness, there could be other reasons for the police to keep quiet:
    sometimes a body has been identified, but there is a delay in contacting any surviving family members.

"The Gardaí are not releasing the name until the family have been informed"

An innocent explanation, and still quite possible.

In fairness, there could be other reasons for the police to keep quiet:
    sometimes a body has been identified, but there is a delay in contacting any surviving family members.

"The Gardaí are not releasing the name until the family have been informed"

An innocent explanation, and still quite possible.

Of course that’s possible but I’m going off the premise that Tina is /was a local woman whose case is still active. I genuinely think that if it wasn’t her they would have made a statement ruling her out.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    I agree - they know at this stage if it’s Tina or not and I firmly believe that they would have said by now if it wasn’t her. There must be a reason for the silence. I still think they are getting their ducks in a row.

Except that, another possibility is that it’s an A.N.Other person - and there’s no real story here right now as they continue to search for a match
    Tina was already ruled out by an Irish media publication over 1 month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

If Tina was ruled out, Richard would have been in the press by now no doubt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I hope they find out who killed Tina. What a beautiful lady Tina was. This case has been going on a long time.

Tina's partner appears to thrive on publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Of course that’s possible but I’m going off the premise that Tina is /was a local woman whose case is still active. I genuinely think that if it wasn’t her they would have made a statement ruling her out.

I know the location/geography etc points towards Tina but I cant ever remember the Gardai coming out in a missing persons case and saying it is not X person, no matter how much the public are eager to know. If the description is of a female in their 40s then that would apply to a fair few missing women in Ireland and the Gardai dont want to be going down that road of denying speculation. They have to be sensitive to all families of missing people so better to say nothing unless theres something to report. Also the bodies of missing people can show up hundreds of miles from home so while many immediately think it could be Tina its just as likely to be someone else.

I do however find it strange that when this body was found we had mixed reports on the age. iirc one report said in their 40s but then later another said in their 70s. Hard to know why that was, almost like one journalist got the truth and another was fed disinformation to keep a suspect guessing or to see if they panic or make a move. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

I'd be of the opinion they have established the persons identity otherwise they would have made an appeal by now. If they had ruled out any missing persons why would they hold back an appeal for information for help in identifying the remains?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,376 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

“Advanced age”

So not Tina

Some of the armchair detectives on this thread will have to hand in their badges

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Indeed it does look like that. Unusual that no one has come forward. I hope she is identified and some family gets answers / closure. RIP to the poor lady.

“Advanced age”

So not Tina

Some of the armchair detectives on this thread will have to hand in their badges

To be fair, it was in the same area in Cork, what are the chances?

I think the age of this particular deceased rules out Tina Satchwell; however, the find is a mystery in its own right.

We haven't been told how long the remains have lain there - I think one source mentioned maybe ten years?

But the Gardaí have not said that definitely and the bones may be much older - possibly decades - (I am no pathologist!)

It does seem surprising that nobody has reported a missing old lady, she doesn't match any missing persons, and the DNA doesn't seem to have found any family, so far.

Still much to be discovered!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭carrickbawn

Has anyone seen the information in the sun in any other news report. It seems strange that it is not covered by the rest of the media,

We armchair detectives are right onto it, of course.

Still pondering the case of Old Lady Doe:

Possibilities: (among many others)

She might have been a member of the Travelling community, years ago, who may have believed that she had gone to join family elsewhere, and therefore didn't report to official channels.

She might have been an old nun from an enclosed convent, who got Dementia and wandered off: Back in the Olden Days, would enclosed nuns have called in official investigators? Or just crossed their fingers with faith, hope and prayer?
    (IS there, or was there, any convent in the neighbourhood, that is in possible walking distance?)

Or finally, she may just have been one of those sad old people alone in the world, who have no relations and get older and nuttier, wander about in a dressing-gown and just die one cold night. Their cottage stands empty like so many others.

Whoever she was, eternal rest to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

last train ran in 1988, but there may have been workers on the line in the 90s (some of the track was lifted for reuse elsewhere).
    Presumably the body post-dates that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

This has been a really bizarre turn of events!
    the guards haven’t given us much to go on!

I'm assuming this was an older lady living at home without family ties who somehow passed away in that area.

We may never know who she is, wonder if they'll use the same technique that caught the Golden State Killer? It may be the only way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I'm assuming this was an older lady living at home without family ties who somehow passed away in that area.

We may never know who she is, wonder if they'll use the same technique that caught the Golden State Killer? It may be the only way now.

But surely neighbours would notice,or a postman would notice? the banks and telecom eireann and board gais would eventually notice?
    it seems almost impossible that someone could vanish and never be reported missing!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

“Advanced age”

So not Tina

Surprised they haven’t come up with a serial killer theory..............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭corks finest

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Surprised they haven’t come up with a serial killer theory..............

Yet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Remember some years ago an elderly couple disappeared from Fermoy...maybe 20 years ago? It was a complete mystery at the time. I don't think their car was found. I never heard of any trace afterwards. Maybe Cork posters would know more about it.

punchdrunk wrote: »
    But surely neighbours would notice,or a postman would notice? the banks and telecom eireann and board gais would eventually notice?
    it seems almost impossible that someone could vanish and never be reported missing!?

True but it has happened in recent years. It's not impossible.

I believe there was a case like that in Cork not that long ago. The body was there for ages before anyone noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

inthehat wrote: »
    Remember some years ago an elderly couple disappeared from Fermoy...maybe 20 years ago? It was a complete mystery at the time. I don't think their car was found. I never heard of any trace afterwards. Maybe Cork posters would know more about it.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/fermoy-conor-and-shelia-dwyer-missing-2452743-Nov2015/%3famp=1

Was see as being very mysterious at the time I remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭Deeec

Lisha wrote: »

Could be a possibility - seems to be the same age category as the body found.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement