Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tina Satchwell *Mod note in op*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 abitofcheese

punchdrunk wrote: »
    To me this isn’t ruling anyone out just yet

Agree totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 abitofcheese

Test results taking longer than expected. Maybe there will be some news this week.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40218227.html

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭MYSTICA1

Are the test results still not back at this stage? Are they not releasing any results for any particular reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

MYSTICA1 wrote: »
    Are the test results still not back at this stage? Are they not releasing any results for any particular reason?

was wondering about this too. they defo must know at this stage whether it's Tina or not.

This case is so strange and I have a feeling it stays strange forever, she will never be found and nobody will ever know what happened (except most possibly a few people...).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

The absolute silence would make you wonder. I’m wondering if they are getting their ducks in a row?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

Cork Lass wrote: »
    The absolute silence would make you wonder. I’m wondering if they are getting their ducks in a row?

would be great, but don't believe in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I think if it was a Jane Doe we’d have heard appeals for public assistance by now, something bigger must be going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

More likely that they have no clue who it is as they don't have this persons details in missing persons, and no DNA matches.
    An appeal will go out in a couple of weeks to help identify this person I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

It is very strange.

Not a peep out of ur man which has my suspicions raised....

More likely that they have no clue who it is as they don't have this persons details in missing persons, and no DNA matches.
    An appeal will go out in a couple of weeks to help identify this person I would think

I think if they were confident it wasn’t Tina, why haven’t the guards released a statement saying body discovered not linked to Tina Satchwell case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Deeec

fin12 wrote: »
    I think if they were confident it wasn’t Tina, why haven’t the guards released a statement saying body discovered not linked to Tina Satchwell case.

Because they never said it could be Tina. Why would they need to release a statement now.

Deeec wrote: »
    Because they never said it could be Tina. Why would they need to release a statement now.

Let’s see a very high profile missing case near to the area where the body has been discovered and they don’t think to release a statement about that. They haven’t said anything , That’s the point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Let’s see a very high profile missing case near to the area where the body has been discovered and they don’t think to release a statement about that. They haven’t said anything , That’s the point...

Too busy testing CBD to see if it has THC in it. Cannabis is more of a priority for the Guards than missing people or any of that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Too busy testing CBD to see if it has THC in it. Cannabis is more of a priority for the Guards than missing people or any of that jazz.

That is a load of bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If that were the case they would have to release a statement saying it isnt every other missing female either. Theres no point in issuing statements in the negative if theres nothing to report.

Larsso30 wrote: »
    That is a load of bull.

Disagree all you like, its a free country. But the fact is the Gardaí have never found any of the missing women in such a small country and the second fact is the Forensic Science Laboratory has a huge backlog with mainly Cannabis to be tested. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Disagree all you like, its a free country. But the fact is the Gardaí have never found any of the missing women in such a small country and the second fact is the Forensic Science Laboratory has a huge backlog with mainly Cannabis to be tested. :cool:

Might want to check your 'facts' with regards to missing persons.
    For instance, between 9,300 and 9,700 people have been reported missing each year since 2017.
    Last year, from January to mid-September, 6358 people were reported missing. At the end of October 52 of those cases were unresolved.
    if somebody wants to disappear, or if they really want somebody else to disappear, there's very little that you, me, the Gardai or anyone else can do to find them without a massive dose of luck.

BTW, a backlog in the Forensic Science Lab has nothing to do with this delay either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

tara73 wrote: »
    would be great, but don't believe in it.

I'd say the law will eventually crack this, being cautious and patient is a must

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'd say you're spot on. Building, gathering, revising & patiently going through every scrap of evidence. Setting traps and devising cul de sacs for someone to walk in to when the arrest time comes. The sort of thing they executed nicely with Graham Dwyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

You know the forensic science laboratory is divided into different specialities don't you? Cannabis testing would be done by chemists. The DNA database team would be involved in any genetic analysis. Completely different teams, whose work doesn't overlap.

• Advertisement

Might want to check your 'facts' with regards to missing persons.
    For instance, between 9,300 and 9,700 people have been reported missing each year since 2017.
    Last year, from January to mid-September, 6358 people were reported missing. At the end of October 52 of those cases were unresolved.
    if somebody wants to disappear, or if they really want somebody else to disappear, there's very little that you, me, the Gardai or anyone else can do to find them without a massive dose of luck.

BTW, a backlog in the Forensic Science Lab has nothing to do with this delay either.

Sorry I hadn't realised they found Annie McCarrick, Eva Brennan, Fiona Sinnott, Fiona Pender, Ciara Breen, JoJo Dullard, Imelda Keenan, Deirdre Jacob, Bridget Madigan.
    Although I will admit that they were excellent in how they got that Dwyer creep, that was astonishing police work.
    As for my comments regarding the forensic lab that's just me being biased although a close friends wife actually does work with drug testing there and said to my friend that they never seen as much Cannabis being sent there since the lockdowns started.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Sorry I hadn't realised they found Annie McCarrick, Eva Brennan, Fiona Sinnott, Fiona Pender, Ciara Breen, JoJo Dullard, Imelda Keenan, Deirdre Jacob, Bridget Madigan.
    Although I will admit that they were excellent in how they got that Dwyer creep, that was astonishing police work.
    As for my comments regarding the forensic lab that's just me being biased although a close friends wife actually does work with drug testing there and said to my friend that they never seen as much Cannabis being sent there since the lockdowns started.

To be fair the only reason you know the names of those women is they haven't been found and those go back nearly 30 years now.
    Nobody hears about or really remembers the ones that are found alive and sometimes dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

A recent retesting of the remains of a young man missing from Limerick gave a positive result. At least his parents and family now have some closure
    samples were examined in July 2008, March 2011 & June 2017, with negative results for a match. On the 5th of February 2021, Gardai in Mayorstone were notified of a positive match following advances in DNA.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/gardai-inform-family-of-missing-limerick-man-that-his-body-was-found-25-years-ago-1077414.html

Looks like DNA testing for missing people cases is ongoing atm and the advances in DNA analysis is helping that.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

I remember that case. God love those poor parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

gozunda wrote: »
    A recent retesting of the remains of a young man missing from Limerick gave a positive result. At least his parents and family now have some closure

https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/gardai-inform-family-of-missing-limerick-man-that-his-body-was-found-25-years-ago-1077414.html

Looks like DNA testing for missing people cases is ongoing atm and the advances in DNA analysis is helping that.

They could've at least told them they found a body in the area a month later. Poor family and especially parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

I really feel for those parents, their lives could have been so different
    Instead of being in limbo for the last 25 years they would have had a grave to visit and could slowly have gotten on with their lives
    Someone really dropped the ball on this one
    Hard to believe that a body found within a month in the same geographical area and no one joined the dots

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    I really feel for those parents, their lives could have been so different
    Instead of being in limbo for the last 25 years they would have had a grave to visit and could slowly have gotten on with their lives
    Someone really dropped the ball on this one
    Hard to believe that a body found within a month in the same geographical area and no one joined the dots

The lad who went missing was from Limerick

The body in question was found off the the Galway coast a month later and was DNA tested but afaik the results were negative. The state of the remains would most likley have ruled out normal means of identification.
    Samples were examined in July 2008, March 2011 & June 2017, with negative results for a match. 

It was only with new DNA advances that a result was made this year.

Not sure what else could have been done up to that point?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭NutmegGirl

Ring other Garda stations in the locality and ask is there anyone missing?
    I’m sure there would have been a database of some type listing missing people that they could have checked ? Dental records? Even just talk between Gardai who’d know what was going on locally?
    Depending on where he was found locals prob could have told you where he entered the water, and worked back from there
    His father said they had been in Galway Garda stations handing out flyers at the time
    This was the 1990’s not the 1920’s I really can’t believe there wasnt more they could have done
    Ireland isn’t that big a country, a few days on the phone doing a bit checking around would have solved this quickly
    Even if not immediately, 6 or 12 months down the line , rechecking
    You can’t just rely on DNA for everything, sometime you just have to slog away and do it the old fashioned way

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    Ring other Garda stations in the locality and ask is there anyone missing?
    I’m sure there would have been a database of some type listing missing people that they could have checked ? Dental records? Even just talk between Gardai who’d know what was going on locally? Depending on where he was found locals prob could have told you where he entered the water, and worked back from there
    His father said they had been in Galway Garda stations handing out flyers at the time
    This was the 1990’s not the 1920’s I really can’t believe there wasnt more they could have done
    Ireland isn’t that big a country, a few days on the phone doing a bit checking around would have solved this quickly
    Even if not immediately, 6 or 12 months down the line , rechecking You can’t just rely on DNA for everything, sometime you just have to slog away and do it the old fashioned way

The guy who was missing from Limerick. The body was found a month later off an island on the coast of Galway.

The body could possibly been a month at sea and been washed towards the Galway coast. So unlikely there were 'locals' who would have known anything.

There are many bodies found along the west coast every year. Some are suicides or misadventure others are accidents. The Cliffs of Moher are common place where deaths occur each year. Some bodies are never found.

With a month having passed it it is highly probable the body was already badly decomposed and or had been significantly predated by marine animals etc.

The facts are that unfortunately bodies remain unidentified even with post mortum and dna testing and no such deaths are not always 'solved quickly'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Never said they had found them - just pointing out the discrepancy between your assertion that they have never found any of the missing women and the fact that 9,000 people a year go missing, most of whom are found.
    For obvious reasons the ones who remain missing get all the headlines. Others, like Jastine Valdez, fade from memory. Again, without huge amounts of luck, it's literally half a needle in a haystack stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement