Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tina Satchwell *Mod note in op*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,647 ✭✭✭corks finest

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    I really feel for those parents, their lives could have been so different
    Instead of being in limbo for the last 25 years they would have had a grave to visit and could slowly have gotten on with their lives
    Someone really dropped the ball on this one
    Hard to believe that a body found within a month in the same geographical area and no one joined the dots

Yes that was incompetence at the highest level, lazy policing

Unless there’s some sort of agreement behind the scenes with Gardai and the media, I’m with the last Examiner.com article where it focuses a lot more on an historical find and an older person- while the location is very much in line with the missing case of poor Tina, the media would normally get a few whispers from investigating gardai and run stories in line with those whispers- they certainly wouldn’t be holding back if they felt there was the smallest of hopes the remains were that of Tina.

For that reason, I feel the remains are of someone else- but extraordinary that there isn’t the slightest hint as to who it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

gozunda wrote:
    The body could possibly been a month at sea and been washed towards the Galway coast. So unlikely there were 'locals' who would have known anything.

I thought the same as nutmeg. He was found in aran, full of people and fisherman familiar with tides and currents. Sure wasn't it due to the fisherman's knowledge of the tides that they found the paddle boarders off aran in the summer. This story made me so angry for that man's poor parents
    25 years searching, they even searched as far as the uk and he was only over in Galway this whole time. Do the gardai have no knowledge of what's going on outside their own county

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Unless there’s some sort of agreement behind the scenes with Gardai and the media, I’m with the last Examiner.com article where it focuses a lot more on an historical find and an older person- while the location is very much in line with the missing case of poor Tina, the media would normally get a few whispers from investigating gardai and run stories in line with those whispers- they certainly wouldn’t be holding back if they felt there was the smallest of hopes the remains were that of Tina.

For that reason, I feel the remains are of someone else- but extraordinary that there isn’t the slightest hint as to who it might be.

IMO the silence from the media is more telling than if they were speculating on who it could be.

Just my opinion though and I could be miles out..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

the media would normally get a few whispers from investigating gardai and run stories in line with those whispers- they certainly wouldn’t be holding back if they felt there was the smallest of hopes the remains were that of Tina.

how do you know this, I really would like to think this is not the case ! And I actually think it is not the case, they would only do it if it would in any way help the investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

snoopy84 wrote: »
    I thought the same as nutmeg. He was found in aran, full of people and fisherman familiar with tides and currents. Sure wasn't it due to the fisherman's knowledge of the tides that they found the paddle boarders off aran in the summer. This story made me so angry for that man's poor parents
    25 years searching, they even searched as far as the uk and he was only over in Galway this whole time. Do the gardai have no knowledge of what's going on outside their own county

It remains where the body was not identifiable due to decomposition or disfiguring injuries consistent with a fall from a height for example then tbf there was bugger all the gardai or anyone could do.

Afaik - there were unconfirmed reports that he had been seen in Larne - hence the searches in the UK etc.

As detailed above - bodies are recovered along the Atlantic west coast on not an irregular basis. The distance of Limerick city to Inis more is considerable. He was believed to have disappeared from Limerick city - not Co. Clare or Galway. Of note the paddle boarders you refer to were found within 24 hours and just 17 km of where they got lost. Not really comparable tbh.

That he was not able to be identified until recently is truely sad. Unfortunately that the reality in a number of such incidents. There is no magic wand to make this otherwise.

snoopy84 wrote: »

Again no joined up thinking combined with lazy policing in this instance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

tara73 wrote:
    how do you know this, I really would like to think this is not the case ! And I actually think it is not the case, they would only do it if it would in any way help the investigation.

When joe o'reilly was being arrested at home, there wete dinner journalists waiting to take photos and report on it.

How did they know when it was going to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,314 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm thinking now of a case that I heard of before and they recently made into a short drama series about a man in Wales who killed four people in the 1980's called John Cooper.
    I'm fairly sure the police were in with the press in this case in letting the media know certain things before they made their arrest to sort of creep him out.
    I also think I've heard of this in other cases to but it was the UK again.

*I'm not saying that this is the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Yes that was incompetence at the highest level, lazy policing
    Not a fan of iawsuits but if there was ever a case of negligence...

There has similar type cases between the coast of Ireland & the UK but within the irish republic is hard to fathom.

The poor guy & his family.

• Advertisement

Again no joined up thinking combined with lazy policing in this instance

What was 'lazy' about not being able to assign an Id to a body found eventually washed up on an island a considerable distance from where he disappeared?

A quick look at the missing persons database , shows there are multiples of people who go missing each year. Sadly some bodies which are found are never identified. It is possible- that the body found outside Midleton may fall into this category.

gozunda wrote: »
    What was 'lazy' about not being able to assign an Id to a body found eventually washed up on an island a considerable distance from where he disappeared?

A quick look at the missing persons database , shows there are multiples of people who go missing each year. Sadly some bodies which are found are never identified. It is possible- that the body found outside Midleton may fall into this category.

bloody lazy to me that a couple lost their loved one and the law couldn't add 2+2 and get anywhere near 4,, ffs Cross check the missing persons database at least for anyone missing a few months after he was reported and maybe tie it in with a body found in the Republic, I mean it's not a massive land mass

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

bloody lazy to me that a couple lost their loved one and the law couldn't add 2+2 and get anywhere near 4,, ffs Cross check the missing persons database at least for anyone missing a few months after he was reported and maybe tie it in with a body found in the Republic, I mean it's not a massive land mass

The body was unidentifiable. DNA wasn't as advanced as it is now. It would be beyond careless to start guessing or telling the family it "could" be their loved one.

IMO the silence from the media is more telling than if they were speculating on who it could be.

Just my opinion though and I could be miles out..

Certainly, listening to what the media “doesn’t say” is sometimes more significant than what they do say, and can provide an insight as to the situation. For example, a media talking about how a “family” is reacting to a suspicious death but not mentioning the spouse can point to a certain line of investigation as some recent murder enquires have seen, resulting ultimately in the arrest of the partner- certainly no surprise there.

You might be right who knows- I just thought the last Examiner article I posted a few pages back was pretty much moved completely away from anything related to this case- I’m not sure they would have nailed their colours to the mast without having some reasonable idea that the remains wasn’t Tina Satchwell
    What their not saying though, is who it might be, or what disappeared might have been in that area over the last 30 years- no alternative story might make your line of thinking more correct.
    tara73 wrote: »

I don’t think Irish media deliberately try and ruin an investigation - but there’s definitely give and take between media and gardai - they need each other and you’d be naive if you thought otherwise.

And if no ID could be assigned to that body due to decomposition etc and there were several missing people who it could possibly be - then what? Take a guess?

It remains bodies are recovered from the sea every year which sadly cannot be identified. Adding 2 + 2 and getting 7 doesn't help anyone tbf.

I'm sure the current case will be much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭carrickbawn

This thread seems to have gone way off topic.

This thread seems to have gone way off topic.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭carrickbawn

Seems to have morphed into a general missing persons discussion.

While I’m not interested in engaging in the current conversation around the historical success rate or otherwise of Gardai identifying remains, it does have a scientific angle directly related to this case considering that at some point since the remains in Co Cork were found, the name of Tina was mentioned as a possible person - so I don’t see how it’s gone off topic.

NutmegGirl wrote: »
    I really feel for those parents, their lives could have been so different
    Instead of being in limbo for the last 25 years they would have had a grave to visit and could slowly have gotten on with their lives
    Someone really dropped the ball on this one
    Hard to believe that a body found within a month in the same geographical area and no one joined the dots

What do you think the parents would have done if guards had informed them that this man's body had been found, and "might" be their son? Would they have claimed the remains and buried them in the family grave, even though there was no definite identification? Suppose then a later DNA test shows it's someone else's son?

A body is not confirmed as identified until it is definitely identified.

• Advertisement

It's sort of relevant and goes to prove exactly how further DNA identification has come. Exhuming very very deteriorated bodies, probably skeletal and managing to extract DNA now, when it wasn't possible a couple of decades ago means there will most likely be a positive ID on this poor person in Cork.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

inthehat wrote: »
    What do you think the parents would have done if guards had informed them that this man's body had been found, and "might" be their son? Would they have claimed the remains and buried them in the family grave, even though there was no definite identification? Suppose then a later DNA test shows it's someone else's son?

A body is not confirmed as identified until it is definitely identified.

Or, obviously not a potential scenario in this case, a body shows up a month after a missing persons case and can't be identified formally (not the case anymore with DNA etc) so they just say, yes it's probably him/her and they bury them and grieve etc.

25 years later they walk in the front door and it turns out it wasn't them at all. How would the parents feel then?

A mad scenario but it's important to be able to formally and conclusively identify a body so as to avoid this scenario or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PerryB78

Just to move back onto the youghal body find. My gut instinct says its Tina Satchwell and as a previous poster says the police are getting their ducks in a row. Having been so media prevalent and showing up at the search of the woods a few years back, how come Richard is so quiet now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

PerryB78 wrote: »
    Just to move back onto the youghal body find. My gut instinct says its Tina Satchwell and as a previous poster says the police are getting their ducks in a row. Having been so media prevalent and showing up at the search of the woods a few years back, how come Richard is so quiet now?

I’m thinking he’s so quiet now cause he legally can’t talk if u know what I’m saying....

He's been quiet for months now, he's hardly going to start piping up at this stage. Cork Lass's question is a more pertinent and important, she's bringing attention to the deafening silence of the Gardai and investigators.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PerryB78

John_Rambo wrote: »
    He's been quiet for months now, he's hardly going to start piping up at this stage. Cork Lass's question is a more pertinent and important, she's bringing attention to the deafening silence of the Gardai and investigators.

Surely after a body find so close to home you'd expect him to be out at the scene, courting the media like he did at the woods etc. Id expect the authorities know who the body is and are waiting to pounce on the prime suspect, hopefully this is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

They could've at least told them they found a body in the area a month later. Poor family and especially parents.
    were there no news reports about this body being found at the time?

Surely after a body find so close to home you'd expect him to be out at the scene, courting the media like he did at the woods etc. Id expect the authorities know who the body is and are waiting to pounce on the prime suspect, hopefully this is the case

Just thinking out loud - but I suspect that anyone having been put through the mill by the media would on reflection probably would be weary of doing it a second time. Tina's husband was certainly critical of a lot of the media and reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Perhaps yes, they have identified the body.. whoever she is and are preparing a book of evidence to present to the DPP before they open the media floodgates?

• Advertisement

I still don’t know if it’s her or not. Would they have checked the dna with Tina’s family members yet? Does DNA analysis take this long?

I also don’t know what difference it would make to an investigation by not saying it was Tina (if it is her). The body has been removed from the scene, the location was locked down and analysed. They’ve checked their home previously and if it was Tina, they could get a search warrant to check again if need be. It’s an historical case so what exactly would they be holding out for? He’s been chatting in the media for years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement