Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Id go further and suggest you set a 24 hour expectation on all responses, sure if ye are teaching ye won’t have time to respond right?

I've a story for you all. Earlier in this school year when we were back in school. Parent sent a colleague of mine an email while she was teaching. She obviously didn't see it. Secretary arrives to her door telling her that said parent was on the phone spitting blood as she hadn't replied. This was ten minutes after the email had been sent. Some have no sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

I've a story for you all. Earlier in this school year when we were back in school. Parent sent a colleague of mine an email while she was teaching. She obviously didn't see it. Secretary arrives to her door telling her that said parent was on the phone spitting blood as she hadn't replied. This was ten minutes after the email had been sent. Some have no sense.

That has to be a mental health issue. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Yep have had a similar thing happen.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    That has to be a mental health issue. :eek:

This particular parent has nothing else to be occupying their time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

I had one once where the parent emailed at 8pm one night. Obviously I didn't reply (didn't even see the email) so got a furious mail at 7am the next day - attached to the first one! Some people have little to be at.

In my school we have a 48 hour policy for replying to emails. Parents like the one above tend to be left waiting on replies for the full two days...if you're capable of being civil, we'll reply as soon as we can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Not even close. Full timetable to be followed. Albeit no homework at Junior level. It’s allowed at senior cycle. And every single subject is to be taught/work assigned from PE to wellbeing as well as all core subjects. All subjects minimum of one live a week. Roll call to be taken. Students have to camera on for the start of class at least so no PJs etc allowed. If teacher chooses to record these for students who cannot attend then it is up to the teacher to ensure GDPR compliance by editing the recording afterwards.

Not only that I believe we’re sticking with the staggered break times and lunchtimes for covid compliance so students will have four class periods in a row etc which isn’t really necessary since clearly we don’t need staggered breaks.

Now having said that, the pressure still feels less than last time on staff when it was ‘go live as much as possible’ which was impossible for some staff and let to enormous staff guilt and burnout. It is more realistic to allow blended this time

Students asked for more structure. But I think the whole school timetable is a lot to ask

Interestingly the guidance department with the student council are collecting the LC students opinions this time with a view to sending it to the Department which I think is a great idea.

I think you should ask to rehaul the plan, trust me coming from a student, sitting the traditional timetable during online school will make the quality of schooling worse and the engagement even worse. I sat doing blocks of 3 classes with a total 40 min break during last lockdown and I think I ended up LOSING knowledge rather than gaining. Students need a lot more breaks with Online school because you're not getting up and moving around between classes, you're sitting at the same desk with your laptop/pc/ipad and you're constantly glued to your PC, this constant engagement with little breaks will create problems in the long term, I know for me it crearted a horrible demotivation and made me want to not log onto the next class (I didn't but I felt like it)

Also giving the exam years more breaks lets them focus on more independent study time, for example the extra subjects usually take place during PE so since PE won't be a class currently, the classes before and after "PE" are break classes, so I have a break from 10:50am until 2:10pm and then finish school at 2:50. I can use that allocated time to work on my History RSR, get assignments and weekend homework done, or sleep a little. I think that'll be great for mental health reasons since you'll never get the same engagement from students Online as you will in the classroom environment.

A silly rule I will however not be adhering to is the fact we have to wear our uniforms on call. I feel this is one of those "school pride" aspects, and will not actually help me learn better. I will wear my own clothes thank you, sitting in Chinos and a woolly jumper at my desk will make me feel uncomfortable at home, and it's unneeded. I feel like its one of those rules that'll be thrown out the window after a day like the 72 hour sanitization rule back in September. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

TTLF wrote: »
    I think you should ask to rehaul the plan, trust me coming from a student, sitting the traditional timetable during online school will make the quality of schooling worse and the engagement even worse. I sat doing blocks of 3 classes with a total 40 min break during last lockdown and I think I ended up LOSING knowledge rather than gaining. Students need a lot more breaks with Online school because you're not getting up and moving around between classes, you're sitting at the same desk with your laptop/pc/ipad and you're constantly glued to your PC, this constant engagement with little breaks will create problems in the long term, I know for me it crearted a horrible demotivation and made me want to not log onto the next class (I didn't but I felt like it)

Also giving the exam years more breaks lets them focus on more independent study time, for example the extra subjects usually take place during PE so since PE won't be a class currently, the classes before and after "PE" are break classes, so I have a break from 10:50am until 2:10pm and then finish school at 2:50. I can use that allocated time to work on my History RSR, get assignments and weekend homework done, or sleep a little. I think that'll be great for mental health reasons since you'll never get the same engagement from students Online as you will in the classroom environment.

A silly rule I will however not be adhering to is the fact we have to wear our uniforms on call. I feel this is one of those "school pride" aspects, and will not actually help me learn better. I will wear my own clothes thank you, sitting in Chinos and a woolly jumper at my desk will make me feel uncomfortable at home, and it's unneeded. I feel like its one of those rules that'll be thrown out the window after a day like the 72 hour sanitization rule back in September. :p

I totally agree. Unfortunately I am not school management and the demands from the general public and media for live classes is what’s causing this. Schools are trying to meet unrealistic parental and media expectations for their students because honestly if we aren’t live on the screen this country seems to believe teachers aren’t doing anything.

The department have announced no changes at all to content. So teachers are under pressure. If I don’t slow down my students will be stressed. But if I do slow down I won’t finish the course and the students will be even more stressed in the future. It’s a lose lose situation because the department of education has made zero plans.

Every year group needs announced changes at this stage, even the second years will need changes for next years third years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

UK research finds link between new Kent variant and secondary school age children, likely to spread it as much as adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

I totally agree. Unfortunately I am not school management and the demands from the general public and media for live classes is what’s causing this. Schools are trying to meet unrealistic parental and media expectations for their students because honestly if we aren’t live on the screen this country seems to believe teachers aren’t doing anything.

The department have announced no changes at all to content. So teachers are under pressure. If I don’t slow down my students will be stressed. But if I do slow down I won’t finish the course and the students will be even more stressed in the future. It’s a lose lose situation because the department of education has made zero plans.

Every year group needs announced changes at this stage, even the second years will need changes for next years third years.

I fully understand that actually, I know for Geography we ended up rushing through the course and it was a nightmare because even when I did all my homework, I never ended up working properly by retaining the information. My teacher would set us work for the week and then do a zoom call twice a week to go over stuff on her PowerPoints. However this ended up backfiring a little because we were expected to read full chapters in 2-3 days while trying to balance other work from that class which were long and tedious on top of the 6 other subjects your doing. Add un-motivation to this and it's a real mess. Even now in class we were deciding to do the elective or not, and we decided to give it a go but my teacher was rushing through the chapter being like "well its just common knowledge guys, ur fine right?" I had to put my hand up and actually ask her to go a lot slower if she could because it's so hard to keep up and retain what's happening.

We ended up dropping the Elective in the end because it was taught so poorly and rushed so quickly. Other chapters like this which have been rushed are Isostasy and Brazil's socio-economic region back during the start of the year and during lockdown

Don't even get me started on the Field study because that's been changed to Feb 2nd and I feel it'll be pushed back yet again. It's a real mess and that's only Geography! We're way behind on Oral stuff in German, We're behind in OL Maths so the chapters are being taught quickly and not efficiently, there's a reason I'm in OL and its because I don't comprehend it properly so being taught quick is a mess.

I hope we can get this resolved sooner than later because while I don't mind if we get predictive grades, an altered LC or continued assessment leaving it to a late decision will cause the retainment of information to go out the window. :(

TTLF wrote: »

I heard the last time of principals who demanded to be admins on every live call who kicked students off for not having correct uniform on. Pick the important battles, uniform on a zoom call isn't one of them.

• Advertisement

Our principal is totally annoying all the staff tonight with silly, nonsense. Needs to sit down and relax and deal tomorrow with any issues. No matter what happens there will be teething issues and they can be dealt with tomorrow and in the coming days as they arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Our principal is totally annoying all the staff tonight with silly, nonsense. Needs to sit down and relax and deal tomorrow with any issues. No matter what happens there will be teething issues and they can be dealt with tomorrow and in the coming days as they arise.

Tonight ?

km79 wrote: »
    Tonight ?

Well not just tonight, pretty much since early morning. He is totally wound up. Obviously follows too many of the education accounts on Instagram 🀣 judging by some of the rubbish he is worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Same thing here. 5 or 6 emails a day and if they aren't replied to, the phone starts and a few text messages to the school phone. I get letters sent to me every single day complaining or to change MY timetable to suit them better. Oh the joys!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Well I spoke too soon in thinking that things would be different this time.

Sunday email with work assigned for the next week, same story as last time.

Oh and lots of lovely projects to do for anyone who hasn't got enough to be doing in between trying to help kids with school work and doing their own jobs plus the assigned exercise routines.

Now if I need a teacher to tell my child to go take a walk for some exercise, well I just don't know....

It was wishful thinking to hope that there might be an improvement in the provision but no same old rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

jrosen wrote: »
    I think I might have said this before but I would send off an email and not give a second thought to day or time. I send when I have the concern or query and it’s fresh in my mind.
    I don’t however expect an immediate response. Our teachers for the first time ever have been available to contact via email. It’s a school email so not their own personal one. They don’t have to open that email folder outside of work hours.
    It’s their responsibility to manage that IMO.
    Right. Email should be like normal post. Send it whenever you like but don't expect it to be read or replied to immediately. It's not like whatsapp where you can actually see in real time, when messages are delivered and read.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Schools will rightly stay closed until most are vaccinated. So September opening at the absolute very earliest.

Locotastic wrote: »
    Well I spoke too soon in thinking that things would be different this time.

Sunday email with work assigned for the next week, same story as last time.

Oh and lots of lovely projects to do for anyone who hasn't got enough to be doing in between trying to help kids with school work and doing their own jobs plus the assigned exercise routines.

Now if I need a teacher to tell my child to go take a walk for some exercise, well I just don't know....

It was wishful thinking to hope that there might be an improvement in the provision but no same old rubbish.

No videos, live check ins or work assigned and corrected?

Now if I need a teacher to tell my child to go take a walk for some exercise, well I just don't know.....

You'd be surprised how many kids do pretty much no exercise apart from what they do at school.

Piehead wrote: »
    Schools will rightly stay closed until most are vaccinated. So September opening at the absolute very earliest.

Stir somewhere else.

• Advertisement

You'd be surprised how many kids do pretty much no exercise apart from what they do at school.

In those cases they still won't do exercise even if it's assigned by a teacher. I agree that's up to the parents to encourage and we make sure to do it every day here anyway.

Don't get me started in projects, they are a pain at the best of times but when everyone is trying to keep their s**t together and the show in the road.

I think you'll agree that time is better spent not spending hours doing stupid projects designed to keep kids busy and taking a photo of said project to upload.

I'll be trying to use what little motivation the kids have (they really don't enjoy home schoolwork) to cover basic learning after being out at work myself all day.

Four bloody projects assigned for the first week alone, give me strength.

No videos, live check ins or work assigned and corrected?

Google forms daily check in, no live work at all.

I just hoped it would be better, my kids in primary really did not want to go back to home schooling after last year (it was basically the least bare amount of effort of one email a week) but I thought it would be different this time.

I am so frustrated and worried.

I just hoped it would be better, my kids in primary really did not want to go back to home schooling after last year (it was basically the least bare amount of effort of one email a week) but I thought it would be different this time.

Forms at least is some contact. However I don’t think you would be unjustified asking the school would it be possible to do one zoom call a week for the kids to see each other. It’s possible the teacher is a home cater or a single parent with no childcare or something but at least you’ll have asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

In those cases they still won't do exercise even if it's assigned by a teacher. I agree that's up to the parents to encourage and we make sure to do it every day here anyway.

Don't get me started in projects, they are a pain at the best of times but when everyone is trying to keep their s**t together and the show in the road.

I think you'll agree that time is better spent not spending hours doing stupid projects designed to keep kids busy and taking a photo of said project to upload.

I'll be trying to use what little motivation the kids have (they really don't enjoy home schoolwork) to cover basic learning after being out at work myself all day.

Hey read your previous post. Have you contacted your teacher, or have several of you contacted your parent class rep to look for either live instruction, or prerecorded material to teach the kids at your own pace?

If so and they've said no, I'd go to the principal, and the parent rep on your bom to ask for a revision of the remote learning plan for the school. At this stage, despite zero backing and support from the DES other than "set something up guys", they should have some sort of procedure ready. If not, they should have until the next board meeting to make one work.

A bit of polite, professional pressure, an email of a Sunday for the week just doesn't cut it. Secondary school teacher here though.

I’m secondary school too and a parent. There really should be instructional videos for the kids even if live isn’t possible. No way would my principal consider one email a week sufficient. We’d be hauled over the coals pronto

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Hey read your previous post. Have you contacted your teacher, or have several of you contacted your parent class rep to look for either live instruction, or prerecorded material to teach the kids at your own pace?

If so and they've said no, I'd go to the parent rep on your bom to ask for a revision of the remote learning plan for the school. At this stage, despite zero backing and support from the DES other than "set something up guys", they should have some sort of procedure ready. If not, they should have until the next board meeting to make one work.

A bit of polite, professional pressure, an email of a Sunday for the week just doesn't cut it. Secondary school teacher here though.

Only got the email this evening so yes I think I might contact the school, I've to collect books there next week too.

Work assigned includes read a book for 30 minutes each day and go for a walk, some basic Irish, English, Maths work and four art projects. It's 5th class so it's not exactly junior infants so they'd be well able for something more structured.

Thankfully our secondary school has been fantastic with their efforts all the way throughout. From learning to parent communication they have been great.

I set mine some projects last year but set up a learning path on scoilnet, with links to information that they could research. Project had to be done on google slides and they had to incorporate audio. Really easy to do once they learned how to do it by messing around with it. Good skills to have going into secondary. I shared them all with the class using google drive and they also had to present them to the class over zoom using share screen.

The traditional type project is redundant in these circumstances as it creates additional stress at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

It’s possible the teacher is a home carer or a single parent with no childcare or something.

This is not an excuse.
    Smacruairi wrote: »

If so and they've said no, I'd go to the parent rep on your bom to ask for a revision of the remote learning plan for the school. At this stage, despite zero backing and support from the DES other than "set something up guys", they should have some sort of procedure ready. If not, they should have until the next board meeting to make one work.

This is excellent advice. If anyone is getting the 'one email a week' crap I strongly advise doing exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Only got the email this evening so yes I think I might contact the school, I've to collect books there next week too.

Work assigned includes read a book for 30 minutes each day and go for a walk, some basic Irish, English, Maths work and four art projects. It's 5th class so it's not exactly junior infants so they'd be well able for something more structured.

Can someone clarify (as there seems to be some confusion about this) ... has the DES advised that there should be daily and 2-way communication from each teacher?

Or is that for secondary only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

kids will bounce back
    make sure you do something enjoyable WITH them everyday
    read to them
    talk to them
    bake
    paint or colour
    role play

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement