Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Best of luck to everyone today, just about to get started ourselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I am baffled by the hate for teachers there seems to be in Ireland.

As someone who is married to one, I can see the amount of work they put into their jobs, how much evening prep work they do.

Mine spent a large section of the weekend getting plans made for the start of more zoom teaching. I can see how difficult it is to plan and implement this morning, and I know for a fact they would much rather be at work. For all those who think they have a cushy job, is love to watch them do the prep work and actual teaching of a large class via zoom.

And not forgetting many teachers have their own kids to worry about, and will finish their zoom teaching to then spend a few hours homeschooling as well.

Then more prep work in the evening for the next days teaching.

I think most of the anti teacher brigade are likely folk in their 40s or so now, who have memories of lazy, incompetent teachers from 30 years ago. I remember them myself. But from what I see of younger teachers now, they are completely different and very dedicated to the profession and their kids.

The sooner everyone is back at school the better, but I think it'll be after st Patrick's holidays before they are back, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

NIMAN wrote: »

As someone who is married to one, I can see the amount of work they put into their jobs, how much evening prep work they do.

Mine spent a large section of the weekend getting plans made for the start of more zoom teaching. I can see how difficult it is to plan and implement this morning, and I know for a fact they would much rather be at work. For all those who think they have a cushy job, is love to watch them do the prep work and actual teaching of a large class via zoom.

And not forgetting many teachers have their own kids to worry about, and will finish their zoom teaching to then spend a few hours homeschooling as well.

I think most of the anti teacher brigade are likely folk in their 40s or so now, who have memories of lazy, incompetent teachers from 30 years ago. I remember them myself. But from what I see of younger teachers now, they are completely different and very dedicated to the profession and their kids.

The sooner everyone is back at school the better, but I think it'll be after st Patrick's holidays before they are back, unfortunately.

Amen to this. My gf (A secondary school teacher for 3 junior and leaving cert subjects) was locked in our kitchen last night from 5 till 10 pre recording, editing and uploading classes, tests and course work for all all year groups, so that students could start at 8.40 per the regular time. She's now been in there again since 8.30 this morning doing the same for the afternoon classes and will do the same in the afternoon for tomorrow mornings classes. She will then need to start correcting exams and home work from this mornings class, so that can be distributed tomorrow with additional work.

It is full on and I can see the stress she is under.

I think some people are more annoyed that they need to help there kids during the day, something that they are not use to and see the schools more as a childcare facility than and educational institute

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

And breathe. Full attendance to the first zoom call. Still kids and parents not reading stuff correctly as kids came on without work done that I had asked them to do.

Anyway the most I ever got from last years class was about 50% attendance, so this is a great start.

Can see them accessing the videos on loom(would love if it had the facility to see who exactly has viewed them) and now I wait for work to start piling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I have a couple of friends who are teachers too.
    They seem to care more about their job than anyone else I know and also seem to work a lot harder out of hours than anyone else I know too.
    Yet I have other friends who dont do a tap, who are constantly going on about how little teachers do. I think there is a bit of projection going on tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I have a couple of friends who are teachers too.
    They seem to care more about their job than anyone else I know and also seem to work a lot harder out of hours than anyone else I know too.
    Yet I have other friends who dont do a tap, who are constantly going on about how little teachers do. I think there is a bit of projection going on tbh.

Jealously over the holidays plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

DSN wrote: »
    Haha ok ok I am a terrible mother - hate baking ! I do however drag them or push them out on daily walks. They hide now when they see me grab the dog lead ðŸ˜ðŸ

Edited to add the lead for the dog not the kids ��

Get the Daddy to do it. I am a Daddy and love doing it.

Apparently its more fun with Dad as I tend to agree with kids to add something new to the recipe :D

As for walks, I have one who will walk forever and one who thinks 5 mins is enough!!!

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Jealously over the holidays plain and simple.

Im envious of that myself.
    But lots of people would be envious of my holidays too.

Get the Daddy to do it. I am a Daddy and love doing it.

Apparently its more fun with Dad as I tend to agree with kids to add something new to the recipe :D

As for walks, I have one who will walk forever and one who thinks 5 mins is enough!!!

Must be a male thing to not follow the instructions or the correct amount of the ingredients!!!!

Glad my sprog isnt back in school.
    Just heard from a friend working in the school that 4 kids parents called them in sick today with Covid, including one in mines class.
    I wonder how many didnt bother to call in and the child is just absent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Just heard from a friend working in the school that 4 kids parents called them in sick today with Covid, including one in mines class.

But the schools are closed and have been since the 22nd of December?

I'm always surprised more people don't become teachers if it's such a cushy job.

I have seen social media examples of folk slagging off teachers at their own kids schools, despite the fact these same people were unable to find work during 2 periods of nearly full employment over the last decade or so.

I do think jealousy plays a massive part in the anti teacher brigade.

I have seen social media examples of folk slagging off teachers at their own kids schools,

Probably nice as pie to said teachers faces though.
    Two faced.

In a society now that has deemed supermarket workers as 'heroes' during this pandemic, I find it strange that teachers, some of whom had to meet up to maybe 100 different pupils in a day, struggle to get the same praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Must be a male thing to not follow the instructions or the correct amount of the ingredients!!!!

Its how we create new things by experiment!!!!

That's my excuse:D

In a society now that has deemed supermarket workers as 'heroes' during this pandemic, I find it strange that teachers, some of whom had to meet up to maybe 100 different pupils in a day, struggle to get the same praise.

Personally I don't care for praise. I do my job and that's it. Once my class and their families are healthy when we get back to school that is all that really matters. Faint and fake praise is worthless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

Lillyfae wrote: »
    But the schools are closed and have been since the 22nd of December?

He probably means excused from Blended Learning because of Covid.

He probably means excused from Blended Learning because of Covid.

What he said doesn't really look like that though.

What he said doesn't really look like that though.

Do you have to be so mean spirited and nitpick? Of course that's what he meant.

Anyway, first day's work largely done, having lunch and a break then we'll finish up in the next hour. So far so good, and managed to get some of my own work done too. :D

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Do you have to be so mean spirited and nitpick? Of course that's what he meant.

Sorry, what? What he's said is unclear and I'm asking for clarification. Mean spirited? Calm down a bit.

• Advertisement

Sorry, what? What he's said is unclear and I'm asking for clarification. Mean spirited? Calm down a bit.

Typical defensive reaction - "calm down." :rolleyes:

It's actually perfectly obvious what he meant. I never assumed otherwise until I saw your comment.

Did you really think he was referring to some school being open? FFS.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Typical defensive reaction - "calm down." :rolleyes:

It's actually perfectly obvious what he meant. I never assumed otherwise until I saw your comment.

Did you really think he was referring to some school being open? FFS.

The poster said:

Even if the schools had been open, those children wouldn't have been in school so how would they cause a risk for his child? The teacher isn't "in" school. All of the children are absent. I'm asking for clarification on why this is relevant here, you can't answer that because you aren't the OP. I just don't understand the whole comment, there is no context.

So, let me rephrase my response to you- attack the post, not the poster. Everyone is stressed, be mindful of that rather than having a go at me for asking someone else a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think some people are more annoyed that they need to help there kids during the day, something that they are not use to and see the schools more as a childcare facility than and educational institute[/QUOTE]

OmegaRed. I agreed with your post up to the very last sentence quoted above. This sentence shows a high level of ignorance on your part.

I have just spent the morning supervising my children doing homeschooling. It went great thanks to the hard work put in by my kids teachers ( which is much appreciated this time round). However I am now a half day behind in my own work which means I will be lucky to get to bed by 1am. I DO NOT SEE SCHOOL AS CHILDCARE and other parents also share the same view. Parents are also putting in huge efforts with this.

I strongly suspect you are not a parent or you would not have made that comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

The poster said:

Even if the schools had been open, those children wouldn't have been in school so how would they cause a risk for his child? The teacher isn't "in" school. All of the children are absent. I'm asking for clarification on why this is relevant here, you can't answer that because you aren't the OP. I just don't understand the whole comment, there is no context.

So, let me rephrase my response to you- attack the post, not the poster. Everyone is stressed, be mindful of that rather than having a go at me for asking someone else a question.

Lillyfae - my reading of the OPs post is that he is glad his child isn't in school because of the amount of children in his class who have Covid symptoms. I guess his point is that it is clearly an issue and had the schools gone ahead and opened he would have had to send his child in, whereas this way they get to stay at home safe.

By wondering how many others didn't call in, I guess that the OP is saying that the one with symptoms may not be just the one, that there may be more from his child's class out with symptoms that he doesn't know about.

I think the general point of the post is that the schools being closed is the correct and safe option.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Do you think the schools will open on Feb 1st? My own feeling is that they will not. When do people think they will open? After mid term? Start of March?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭Deeec

Do you think the schools will open on Feb 1st? My own feeling is that they will not. When do people think they will open? After mid term? Start of March?

I think schools wont reopen until midterm is over. It could very well be March.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Lillyfae - my reading of the OPs post is that he is glad his child isn't in school because of the amount of children in his class who have Covid symptoms. I guess his point is that it is clearly an issue and had the schools gone ahead and opened he would have had to send his child in, whereas this way they get to stay at home safe.

By wondering how many others didn't call in, I guess that the OP is saying that the one with symptoms may not be just the one, that there may be more from his child's class out with symptoms that he doesn't know about.

I think the general point of the post is that the schools being closed is the correct and safe option.

Obviously it's the right decision, but I just felt that unless he's talking about LC or SEN classes it's very unclear and I'm not sure what his point is. The schools are closed, so his children can't catch Covid from them :confused:

We are being prepared for a longer closure and rather than be at the mercy of a very indecisive government, we are preparing for a predicted grades scenario

Obviously it's the right decision, but I just felt that unless he's talking about LC or SEN classes it's very unclear and I'm not sure what his point is. The schools are closed, so his children can't catch Covid from them :confused:

As you say, only the OP knows what he meant but it feels as if he was just saying 'glad he isn't in school because if he was we would be dealing with this close contact stuff all over again. Not in this case of course because schools were closed over Christmas, but just in general.

Maybe he is thinking it would only be a matter of a week before we would have had close contacts etc in schools again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Leo on radio today of mindset that they will, wassock, and I think they will push for it. However, I reckon at least after midterm depending on numbers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement