Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools closed until March/April? (part 4) **Mod warning in OP 22/01**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Onthefence wrote: »
    Only one of my many issues with it. The children whose parents aren't worried at all concern me equally.

I'm doing live at the same time every day but it's more check-ins and correction of mental maths. A video of me correcting the mental maths will be uploaded for those who cannot join.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

My school are doing 2x30 min Zoom calls a day. I'd really love to know how the parents are feeling about that. Too much? Too little? I'm not the principal so I'm not allowed ask. Primary too.

2x30 mins for all classes? Or is it just for one age group? You'd imagine 6th class would have very different needs to JI (can't imagine trying to manage a whole class of infants in one video call!).

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

I have just seen a few posts suggesting that if a parent is not happy with the way work is being laid out by their school, to contact the parent rep on the BOM.
    Do not do this.
    This is not the correct way to address any issues. This is not the role of the parent representative on the BOM. The parent reps are representative of the parent body and not there to take opinions, complaints, etc of the parents.
    The correct way to deal with any issue is to first contact your child's class teacher. If not happy after that your then contact the principal. Only after these avenues have been exhausted, can you contact the chairperson of the BOM.
    The parent reps on the BOM should not entertain any such contact. There are agreed procedures in place for a reason. If I was a principal and something was brought to the BOM this way, I would completely dismiss it and inform everyone involved to do things through the proper channels.
    Source: I was a principal for 8 years in a primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Onthefence

2x30 mins for all classes? Or is it just for one age group? You'd imagine 6th class would have very different needs to JI (can't imagine trying to manage a whole class of infants in one video call!).
    That's what the BOM ratified across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Onthefence

I'm doing live at the same time every day but it's more check-ins and correction of mental maths. A video of me correcting the mental maths will be uploaded for those who cannot join.
    I already know that's what our calls will end up being and
    I'm ready to stand over that when I'm questioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

My school are doing 2x30 min Zoom calls a day. I'd really love to know how the parents are feeling about that. Too much? Too little? I'm not the principal so I'm not allowed ask. Primary too.

Lunacy. Will there always be an adult present with each child for child protection purposes?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I've a story for you all. Earlier in this school year when we were back in school. Parent sent a colleague of mine an email while she was teaching. She obviously didn't see it. Secretary arrives to her door telling her that said parent was on the phone spitting blood as she hadn't replied. This was ten minutes after the email had been sent. Some have no sense.
    I can beat that- small rural school, secretary part time, principal teaching . A Grandparent rang the school and left a voicemail between breaks. They rang back less than 30 minutes later threatening that they would " talk to Joe" if the principal didn't respond before two. By sheer chance, principal checked the school voicemail. Rang the parent of the child explaining that a) they had only received the message and b) the grandparent wasn't the child's guardian. Parent mortified, rang the grandparent, who then rang the school back to say it wasn't the school's place to ring the child's parent. Where do you even start with that one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

jrosen wrote: »
    Well the absolute **** show of an email from our school.

Basically how tired and fed up everyone is, how we are not to send emails in the evening or weekends to the teachers. How this time round will be worse.

Us to decide to how long the kids work for, how they work, where they work.
    No mention of teachers, no stream lined approach. He’s a waste of space and I’ve said from the day he stayed he came to our school to sit out his years untill retirement.

I am lucky my child’s teacher has gone and set his own path but for any teacher who chooses not too or has a half arsed attempt it’s evident there will be no guidance/enforcement from the top.
    It was the same last time round.

The principal contacting to say emails will only be replied to during office/school hours is completely reasonable.

Were they talking about staff or everyone (teachers, parents,students) being tired and fed up? If they are emailing saying how tired and fed up staff are it seems very unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭amacca

Be interesting to see how parents of those kids who cannot login at those times respond to their children being left behind due to live teaching.

Yeah this push for live every class is very counter productive imo.........if it was me I'd do exactly what they ask but I wouldn't be dealing with the issues caused by it, if they dont want to give autonomy and flexibility to teachers and then stdudents/patents in turn then they can deal with the fallout of their actions.......if you can't access the live teaching or use the recorded videos then contact management/department that's the way they insisted it had to happen so cest la vie

It's amusing in a way because its not as if students and parents didn't complain about the workload and stress of classes exactly to timetable last time out (at least in my OHs place....citing poor internet, parents using connection at time for WFH, kid stressed out with all the work, parent stressed out trying to get kid yo do work, parent in one case annoyed that kid wasn't getting time to take care of a litter of particularly expensive puppies - I **** you not :))....they requested flexibility and reduced volume of work etc ....and many of the patents of the more academic ones wanted a unit of work at the start of the week clear directions and let the kid work and check in once midweek with questions then submit and feedback

And here dept and eager to please management instead of learning a lesson jump right in again with the live classes with timetable when it just doesn't suit the method of deliver .....at least that's how it appears to me anyway so I say let them have it best way when a plan is flawed (and probably for the wrong reasons) is implement it to the letter of its I'll thought out silliness and let it fall flat on its face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Is anyone else's school not starting back like ours till Tuesday ? Teacher planning day tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Is anyone else's school not starting back like ours till Tuesday ? Teacher planning day tomorrow.

I'm the only one in my school doing stuff today. The others are all giving out books. I got mine out last week so I'm good to go. Baby steps tomorrow to make sure that every is familiar with how I want things done, where things can be accessed and also how to submit work back to me in the correct manner for correcting and feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Spent Thursday to Sunday getting things prepared for classes and planning how I’m gonna work through this. Working on a full live timetable tomorrow, 9-4. Going to be very busy trying to track it all, mark, prepare, record, etc.

To think some were asking would we be going on the PUP if schools closed.

Spent Thursday to Sunday getting things prepared for classes and planning how I’m gonna work through this. Working on a full live timetable tomorrow, 9-4. Going to be very busy trying to track it all, mark, prepare, record, etc.

Some want us to do online and still be on the PUP..

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Same here, tomorrow is put aside for planning and also for collection of school books.
    Kids (2nd year and 6th year) secondary, classes begin 9am Tuesday and follow timetable till 3.50 everyday....my 2nd year has the attention span of Dory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Same here, tomorrow is put aside for planning and also for collection of school books.
    Kids (2nd year and 6th year) secondary, classes begin 9am Tuesday and follow timetable till 3.50 everyday....my 2nd year has the attention span of Dory.

Much the same as here. Full class timetable from Tuesday, each class will be either live, recorded or set assignments and there is a roll call for each class. I know I'm going to be fighting with my 3rd year devil to keep him on track !

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Much the same as here. Full class timetable from Tuesday, each class will be either live, recorded or set assignments and there is a roll call for each class. I know I'm going to be fighting with my 3rd year devil to keep him on track !

Only so much we can do to 'police' them. Going to be hard at the start that's for sure, after weeks of chilling and free time. It's going to drive me nuts, that I know as I'm a stickler for getting work in on time etc. Thumbs up to teachers out there, you've a full plate for the next however long this goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We have junior cycle inservice so a full day of training online to look forward to before starting online on a Tuesday. I know it’s better to not lose the contact day later but I just want to get stuck in now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

If you are working then you.shouldn't be on pup.

But the worrying thing I see is that planning only started last week. Surely the planning should of started last Sept? We had it last march, we know exactly what is needed and knew it would happen again.

Not a criticism but just highlighting a common theme.

In prep for this time around, some schools and teachers created private YouTube channels showing examples of lessons. Maths fir example . I know one school has every chapter on youtube with examples and techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

If you are working then you.shouldn't be on pup.

But the worrying thing I see is that planning only started last week. Surely the planning should of started last Sept? We had it last march, we know exactly what is needed and knew it would happen again.

Not a criticism but just highlighting a common theme.

In prep for this time around, some schools and teachers created private YouTube channels showing examples of lessons. Maths fir example . I know one school has every chapter on youtube with examples and techniques.

I mean planning for individual lessons, it takes some tweaking of material to ensure it’s online friendly. I am well prepared to move online so don’t be worried.

I mean planning for individual lessons. I well prepared to move online so don’t be worried.

I am not worried, I know most of ye will be on top of it.

Also ensure ye get a break for 1 min away from the screen every 35-40 mins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

LC starts tomorrow, rest of the online supports start 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Locotastic wrote: »
    In those cases they still won't do exercise even if it's assigned by a teacher. I agree that's up to the parents to encourage and we make sure to do it every day here anyway.

Don't get me started in projects, they are a pain at the best of times but when everyone is trying to keep their s**t together and the show in the road.

I think you'll agree that time is better spent not spending hours doing stupid projects designed to keep kids busy and taking a photo of said project to upload.

I'll be trying to use what little motivation the kids have (they really don't enjoy home schoolwork) to cover basic learning after being out at work myself all day.

Four bloody projects assigned for the first week alone, give me strength.

What about the weekly baking tasks?! The kitchen like a bomb hit it with an inedible suggery mess. What about a task of peeling the spuds now that might be useful!! ðŸ˜

DSN wrote: »
    What about the weekly baking tasks?! The kitchen like a bomb hit it with an inedible suggery mess. What about a task of peeling the spuds now that might be useful!! ðŸ˜

My group lived the baking stuff last year. Practical maths at its best, weight, capacity, time.

Life skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I have a friend whos 5 year old apparently has to make a parcours trail in the house, do it and film it this week :eek: :p. Try shortbread cookies, they're pretty easy and less mess once everything is put together, and if they can use playdoh it's pretty much the same thing. Actually, you could just make playdoh- no oven needed !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

My group lived the baking stuff last year. Practical maths at its best, weight, capacity, time.

Life skills.

Lots of parents genuinely miss this - huge learning in hands on practical activities baking may be messy but it can be clearly linked to the maths curriculum. ðŸ˜

Life skills.

Oh yeh the kids love it for sure!!! My son can now make a fairly reasonable cheesecake to be fair & will make some attempt to 'clean' up. I just rem finishing work some eves to a disaster zone in kitchen but no maths done!
    I was joking, but I don't know any parent who doesn't inwardly groan when kids say 'can I bake' lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Oh yeh the kids love it for sure!!! My son can now make a fairly reasonable cheesecake to be fair & will make some attempt to 'clean' up. I just rem finishing work some eves to a disaster zone in kitchen but no maths done!

Last post before I officially start work - you may not think it but there is loads if maths in baking - weight , capacity time - practical tasks such as baking helps children to understand the concepts which can be tricky to grasp. So you may not see a page of maths but there is a lot of incidental learning and aiding in the development of concepts happening in a very stress free environment ( for the children ) not so much the adults.

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Lots of parents genuinely miss this - huge learning in hands on practical activities baking may be messy but it can be clearly linked to the maths curriculum. ðŸ˜

We do this every weekend with the kids. Chocolate banana bread and scones of their choice last weekend!!!

We do this every weekend with the kids. Chocolate banana bread and scones of their choice last weekend!!!

Haha ok ok I am a terrible mother - hate baking ! I do however drag them or push them out on daily walks. They hide now when they see me grab the dog lead ðŸ˜ðŸ

Edited to add the lead for the dog not the kids 😊

• Advertisement

Haha ok ok I am a terrible mother - hate baking ! I do however drag them or push them out on daily walks. They hide now when they see me grab the dog lead ðŸ˜ðŸ

Edited to add the lead for the dog not the kids 😊

Well the dog lead can have multiple uses 😋

Right off to zoom I go for the first call of the day

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement