Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CONSTRUCTION LOCKDOWN JAN 2021

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Gumbo wrote: »
    July/august at the earliest.

Cheers Gumbo, that’s what I was thinking. We’ll just have to rent somewhere else and settle in there for a while. At least it means we can take our time getting the new place set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

scwazrh wrote: »
    This is the problem though, it’s not open to interpretation at all. If it’s essential work it can be done otherwise it can’t. Is putting a roof on to protect some flooring getting damaged essential ? Obviously not.
    I know plenty of people are looking for and finding loopholes to ignore the rules but plenty of people break the rules all the time , doesn’t make it right .

I contacted some people over this and putting a roof on actually is considered essential! Going to forward it onto the builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Cienciano wrote: »
    I contacted some people over this and putting a roof on actually is considered essential! Going to forward it onto the builder.

I’d love to know who and I ask as building contractor currently sitting at home . I have spoken to CIF , HSE and Local Garda and all have referred me to gov.ie level 5 guidelines. No where there does it state that a roof can be put on a private house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 veep

Who please? We're in the same boat.

veep wrote: »
    Who please? We're in the same boat.

I contacted a TD (my first time ever doing it!) and they told me that roofing was considered emergency but they don't have the authority to give the go ahead. Told me to contact the local gardai station or the HSE. Gardai said if we feel the work is emergency that's fine, emergency doesn't mean peoples lives are at risk. If your home is at risk of damage is what is considered an emergency, which mine is.

This is the bit a TD quoted:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#construction
    supply and delivery of essential or emergency maintenance and repair services to businesses and places of residence (including electrical, gas, oil, plumbing, glazing and roofing services) on an emergency call-out basis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

I contacted a TD (my first time ever doing it!) and they told me that roofing was considered emergency but they don't have the authority to give the go ahead. Told me to contact the local gardai station or the HSE. Gardai said if we feel the work is emergency that's fine, emergency doesn't mean peoples lives are at risk. If your home is at risk of damage is what is considered an emergency, which mine is.

This is the bit a TD quoted:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/#construction

Pot luck on how responsible or sympathetic your local Garda is then. I asked a similar question to my local Gardai and they would not comment either way. I would wager if you asked the HSE you might get a different response.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What did your builder say?

Not sure this....
    ....putting a roof on...
    Is the same as 'essential or emergency maintenance and repair service'?

Exactly.

"emergency maintenance and repair"

Another example of people trying to find loopholes to keep going .

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    Pot luck on how responsible or sympathetic your local Garda is then. I asked a similar question to my local Gardai and they would not comment either way. I would wager if you asked the HSE you might get a different response.
    A garda isn't going to argue details. I guarantee the HSE won't reply to an email.
    Exactly.

"emergency maintenance and repair"

That's exactly what it is. Have an email from 2 TD's and a gardai saying they're happy with it.

• Advertisement

A garda isn't going to argue details. I guarantee the HSE won't reply to an email.

That's exactly what it is. Have an email from 2 TD's and a gardai saying they're happy with it.

I asked the Gardai and a Councillor and TD and they said "that sounds reasonable but it's not my call" and I asked the HSE who could make a final call and they said definitively "No".

I suspect if you are hell bent on going ahead you can avoid asking the people who will give you a definitive answer.

The HSE answered me both times I asked them. Within 48 hours.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A new roof does not, in my opinion, equate to "emergency maintenance and repair"?

I suspect you may have been a bit liberal with your description?

Will your builder do the work?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,810 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Putting a roof on a new house under construction isn't an emergency repair. For what it's worth I wish it was but we have to maintain the lockdown.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    A new roof does not, in my opinion, equate to "emergency maintenance and repair"?

Agreed.
    This is simply a case of not wanting to wait until level 5 restrictions are over .It’s no different than the report of people booking a dentist appointment in Tenerife to justify going there for two weeks.

muffler wrote: »
    Putting a roof on a new house under construction isn't an emergency repair. For what it's worth I wish it was but we have to maintain the lockdown.

It's not a house under construction. It's an extension on an existing house. If it was just the extension exposed or it was a new house I wouldn't mind. The fact that the internals of the house are completely open so the existing house is being ruined is my problem.

I suspect you may have been a bit liberal with your description?

Will your builder do the work?

Haven't talked to him yet. I contacted the HSA after ZeroSum said they got back to him after 48 hours. I won't talk to the builder till they get back.

The "new" roof is the bit alright. Funny, we had to remove part of an existing roof from an older extension as the new extension was going beside it. Both roofs were off before christmas, old and new. If we built the brand new roof first, we'd be ok to replace the older one as it would be considered maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

The HSE have nothing to do with construction.

scwazrh wrote: »
    Agreed.
    This is simply a case of not wanting to wait until level 5 restrictions are over .It’s no different than the report of people booking a dentist appointment in Tenerife to justify going there for two weeks.

It's very different.

Haven't talked to him yet.

Might be worth talking to him?

If you go to all the trouble of chasing up somebody to give you the 'green light' to do the work, your can't insist you builder actually do the work during a lockdown.

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    The HSE have nothing to do with construction.

You're being obtuse. The HSE have set out the guidelines on behalf of the Government and the Gardaí are being asked to enforce based on that.

• Advertisement

Might be worth talking to him?

If you go to all the trouble of chasing up somebody to give you the 'green light' to do the work, your can't insist you builder actually do the work during a lockdown.

He said he'd do it before if he could. He has a job to do afterwards, so he actually wants to finish this sooner. He actually had covid at the start of January too. If he doesn't feel safe doing it or for any reason doesn't want to do it, that's fine, not going to press the issue

You're being obtuse. The HSE have set out the guidelines on behalf of the Government and the Gardaí are being asked to enforce based on that.

Department of health and NPHET recommend the guidelines.

I wouldn't be recommending calling the HSE in relation to lockdown restrictions. Probably have enough on their plate with testing and vaccines.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It’s the local Garda that will actually shut you down.
    The first port of call should be to the Garda station soaking your situation and get approval.

Done that today for a friend. Explained the reasoning behind what needed to be done and the Garda gave him permission to finish those particular works.

Mainly health and safety related, especially where works or product have a risk onto the public path. Another was the rear of the house being propped with strong boys. He wanted to remove them and it in the permanent structural steel.

Garda gave go ahead too.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

The first port of call should be to the Garda station soaking your situation and get approval.

Done that today for a friend. Explained the reasoning behind what needed to be done and the Garda gave him permission to finish those particular works.

Mainly health and safety related, especially where works or product have a risk onto the public path. Another was the rear of the house being propped with strong boys. He wanted to remove them and it in the permanent structural steel.

Garda gave go ahead too.

If they shut you down what is the follow on ?
    Fines ? DPP?
    Or just shut down and don’t restart until restrictions lifted ?

Garda gave go ahead too.

Did the garda give you anything in writing? I'd imagine it wouldn't require much, a piece of stamped paper from a station and no gardai would bother you at a checkpoint. I'm in an "essential service" and just a name of the company is enough. Don't even need the ID or letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pale rider

Can those who are out and about and observant in your towns confirm what I see in mine.

New house being built with 3 bricklayers working behind gates, I can see them from my gaff.

5 yes 5 transit sized vans outside a house doing renovation work and....

Local Chadwicks had 7 works vehicles in the car park with vans coming and going as I was out walking yesterday morning, I did stand for a minute in disbelief.

These 3 examples noted whilst I was out walking.

All in this together. Ah I don’t think so...

What about your local towns: builders providers, what do you see ?

km79 wrote: »
    If they shut you down what is the follow on ?
    Fines ? DPP?
    Or just shut down and don’t restart until restrictions lifted ?

I heard somewhere about E1K fine per person on site.

pale rider wrote: »
    Can those who are out and about and observant in your towns confirm what I see in mine.

New house being built with 3 bricklayers working behind gates, I can see them from my gaff.

Local Chadwicks had 7 works vehicles in the car park with vans coming and going as I was out walking yesterday morning, I did stand for a minute in disbelief.

It's going on everywhere.

Restrictions aren't been enforced. Few fines would sort things pretty quick.

It's a lockdown or it's not. Doesn't work if it's half arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

I heard somewhere about E1K fine per person on site.

I heard it was 3K
    But only heard
    I can’t see it in any of the restrictions legislation

• Advertisement

pale rider wrote: »

Oh yes, loads of them where I am. Go on the usual walk through an estate in goatstown and there's a good few. Some have boarded up and stopped, but others are working as usual. Including the next door neighbours.

Advertisement