Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John arse

Yeah fair play dave,i was just speaking as someone in the autobody game for many years.I don't claim to know everything either and different strokes and all that,good luck if you have a new vehicle👍.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Where are you getting your info front our climate is pretty much spot on conditions for a heat pump.

Heat pumps loose efficiency when temp falls very low is my understanding. I suspect into might be coming from VW who used similar explanation as an excuse for not including a heat pump. Other OEMs give the opposite for a justification of why their needed.

If the temp in my car goes below 15 degrees I have the heater on so that'll be pretty much the next 6 months. Heat pump was a must for me will effect range in cold weather (below 15 degrees) if you don't have one or else wear a few jumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

I can't remember the exact source and maybe I was loose with my language (I didn't meant the heat pump worked more efficiently at lower temps), it does obviously help because you will have the heater on, but the delta between inside and outside isn't too large (say 10 degrees) so the heater is not working too hard to begin with. Compared to say Norway where the delta between inside and out is more like 20 degrees (or more) then the heater is working harder, so the percentage savings provided by a heat pump mean more to you in reality. So, the heat pump was costing about €5k more (along with tinted windows which can be gotten for €150, and range which I already said had 0 value to us), that would need to save a lot of electricity to pay for itself. (about 25,000kWh assuming €0.20/kWh).

It's all about use case too, we have no range issues with our daily driving, most journeys are short (so heating of any sort will hurt the range, unless it's preheating). So what would the heat pump give us? The resistive heater worked perfectly for us last winter, and we never had range anxiety.

In my view it's the opposite a the heat pump is less efficient at that temperature so it is using more power to heat on top of the delta so at a certain temp below zero a non heat pump heater may use less power (could be wrong there but that's the science).

Range drops (a lot in cold weather) and heat pump saves a lot of energy when outside temp is in single figures to bring up to a toastie 17/18. I drive about 130 km a day and also Heat pump helps on the conditioning of the battery so you get even more efficiency. I get about 360 km range in summer motorway driving that can drop to 290 km on motorway in winter driving would be a lot less without heat pump. So 5k well spent.

But saying that if has heated seats that is the most efficient way to heat occupants.

Just making the point here that statement heatpump is better for colder climates isn't necessarily true. Non heat pump might suit you but might be a must for others.

Funny that two OEMs make the completely opposite arguement in this article 😁 for me the VW arguement is "shading the truth".

All reasonable points, there's a reason different specs sell in the same market.

It is mad how little information Hyundai can give though for an add on that is about 10% of the value. The technical sales person in me wants them to justify that in a real way. And even the differing "opinions" between OEMs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Having daily driven cars one with purely resistive heating and the other with a heat pump, I've definitely noticed the difference. Generally, I found that when they outside temperature was below about 8C the heat pump car loses much less range. My car's had a 16kWh (resistive), and now 29kWh (heat pump) usable battery. You may find with the larger battery of the Ioniq 5 that it's not as valuable to you.

Yep they were clueless for me only know the basics on heat pumps as looked at them for my house and trying to figure out efficiency with older pipes and rads etc.

So principal in a car is similar, no to heat pump for my house, yes to heat pump for the car 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 19,685 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i think you are mixing up using a claybar (which is just literally using a claybar and some lube oh er to take surface decontaminants off the paint) and an actual polish where the surface of the clear coat is removed to restore gloss.

Claying or using a clay bar involves claying(with a soap/lube),compounding with a buffer machine and then polishing and waxing,sealing,coating whatever you want,my point was that i wouldn't have thought a new vehicle needs this process rather than a decent polish and wax.i'm not sure what your post means?🤔

claying is the first part of your sentence where you get to the first comma nothing more than that.

https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/09/26/beginners-guide-to-detailing-claying

• Advertisement

Still don't know what you mean,i've been working on car paint for over thirty years-not reading it off the internet.🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

According to a poster on IEVOA Facebook - Hyundai Ireland have instructed dealers to not register Ioniq 5s that came in latest batch.

Poster was due to pick up his new Ioniq 5 and has been onto Hyundai Ireland....

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Seurat

Want them all delivered in January so they can be best selling car start of year?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I was just watching the RTE News report on the flooding in Cork, and wondering... how deep can the Ioniq 5 safely wade?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Well you forgot to mention also:

- half Leather seats

- movable center console (been helpful for me, especially road trips)

- Heated front passenger seat,

- Electric Driver seat,

And also the fact that the jump from exec to exec+ was only 3 grand and not 5 grand.

So all in, that plus the heatpump and the window tinting, €3k really isn't sounding that much.

Different floats for different boats. What one man deems essential another will see pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,833 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It will be different for different EVs, but generally they do better than ICE cars as there is no air intake that will kill an engine if water would enter it. Plenty of videos online of Tesla Model S just "floating" through severely flooded areas.

It's been awhile since we've checked obviously but I'm fairly sure my exec had heated passenger seat.

And i was comparing the bigger battery version, is that not about e5k more?

But totally, maybe I'm a car dealers nightmare, I rarely see the value in higher specs (for me). Always end up doing some sort of cost benefit analysis. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Very few ICE cars are killed by hydro lock, most are killed by the electronics getting soaked when driving through water and BEVs have the same electronics as ICE. I'd not be happy buying a Tesla that "floated" through a flood especially with their well know lack of build quality.

I was like that previously, no choice this time around as only higher spec available. Can honestly say I'm a high spec convert now.

• Advertisement

So I ordered the Premium last week

Dealer told me that it will be delivered in March, possibly April if delays. Said was talking to Hyundai main office and confirmed there is a car for me (I went for Premium as there was no Exec Plus and want to try get in before the grant reduces in July)

How confident should I be of a delivery in March/April or is this pie in the sky from the dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,818 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How much is a premium now? You can't guarantee anything but if you wanted to hedge your bets you could put a deposit on a Model Y as a back up?

53k fully delivered which is pricy alright. But considering the 5k grant will probably be 2.5k in July it effectively would be pretty much the same price as buying Exec Plus in July

I’m reading posts about people in Canada being told 2024 for delivery so getting a little anxious!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,818 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I assume the large battery? I'm very happy with my Executive Plus so I'd imagine you won't be disappointed with the Premium.

The Model Y is around 53K as well and putting a deposit now guarantees the current price so if you need a new car before the grant changes you'll definitely have one of those if the Ioniq falls through.

That’s actually not a bad idea. I was looking at the Y before deciding on the Ioniq. Their website says they are expecting Feb/Mar delivery for a few months now so they seem to be sorted supply chain

This is the type of thread that makes me question when the Ioniq will actually be delivered or is it just a Canada specific problem

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ioniq5/comments/wd4n2w/ioniq_5_wait_times_hopelessness/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭denismc

There has always been supply issues with Hyundai EVs, demand greatly exceeds supply.

The first Ioniq came out here in 2017, long before covid upset supply chains, but even then they were like hens teeth.

VW and Tesla seem to do much better in terms of supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,833 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The Tesla expected delivery is based on a huge ramp up of production in Giga Berlin over the next few months. It remains to be seen if they can do that, but it seems they are getting good at this sort of stuff.

As for Hyundais production, it's exactly as @denismc said. Always been a problem for their EVs. They could have sold 10 times as many original Ioniq 28kWh EVs as they produced back in the day. The US demand alone was huge, and the car was only sold in 2 or 3 states over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Gandalphs Brother

Has anyone else noticed how annoying the Ioniq 5 brake lights are when regen braking occurs? I spotted the 'problem' when driving in the dark a while ago using iPedal. Every time I lifted my foot even slightly, the brake lights came on and lit up the road behind me. So anyone following must have been driven nuts, as the brake lights are pretty bright.

Is this something a dealer can adjust? The point at which the level of regen triggers the brake lights must be software controlled, so there is a possibility that this can be altered. If not, then I'll continue to annoy people following me who will assume I'm one of those nervous types who constantly keeps hitting the brakes 😣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I've spotted a couple of Ioniq 5s with the daytime running lights not working on one side (the two rectangles in the main cluster). Is there a known issue I wonder? Very un-Korean, like something you'd see on an old French car with dodgy electrics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭eagerv

Perhaps on the higher spec models the daytime running lights turn off on that side when indicating? On our Executive they stay on but front indicators are at a different position to the higher spec models. Have seen similar on some other cars.

Advertisement