Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

I haven't heard but I did read somewhere the other day that for 2023 the UK card will no longer include the Ionity Premium subscription for 12 months so even if we get the ChargeMyHyundai service we may or may not get any Ionity discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

We got a boot liner from Halfords, seat covers (for under kids car seats from Amazon) and the phone holder is a few magnets glued to a basic grip holder. As you can see we splashed the cash with those. lol

We went Exec over Exec plus. The heat pump by all reports doesn't help much in a temperate climate such as ours, it really benefits in properly cold countries. The extra range from the larger battery is a personal choice, but we reckoned for the delta of about €5k I think, the extra 100km was not worth it. The number of times in a year it would make a difference to our journey was minimal (possibly even 0), basically a journey would have to be exactly 300 to 400km for the extra battery to mean you don't stop. Any more than 400km, you're stopping anyway and less than 300km you don't stop in the Exec car either. For example, we plotted Cherbourgh to Bergerac on ABRP (about 900km) in both the 58kWh and 77kWh battery. Same number of stops generally (in winter, I think it was 1 extra stop) , the only thing that changes was charging durations and arrival SOC.

We did like the tinted windows of the Exec Plus though, so got them done ourselves for €150 after we bought the Exec.

Hard to know about resale and holding value, but my attitude would be that spending more money now just puts more money in the pot to be depreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

Thanks - just a case of last minute jitters. But that all makes sense - and it's very unlikely for us to be doing long journeys in the winter time. Our main objective would be a day trip to Dublin and back and a bit of visiting around there, as long as it can do that then we're happy. Think himself going to go in and pay the deposit now. Exciting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

Sorry just saw this one - yes it would be great and make the whole front so roomy too, but tbh we're stretching for the basic one and can live without the sliding center console. Coming from an 08 Passat even basic parking assist is going to be great so we'll just have to cut our cloth to our measure 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭fafy

A lot of well reasoned argument there, for going entry level, this kind of logical “sense checking”, is often absent these days !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ummagumma_78

I would agree with this. Personally I don’t see the value in paying the extra €4-5K on the Exec Plus model. I could take or leave the sliding centre console. You can add privacy glass for a couple of hundred if needs be. The only pause for thought for me was around the heat pump and after a bit of research didn’t see the value in having it for that price differential.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

This was my exact reasoning for going Executive trim also.

Do you remember what % tint you went with and are you happy with it?

Ha no I can't! We were himming and hawing and think went for 35% light allowed or so. I'm fine with it, Mrs would prefer darker I think

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm very happy with our Executive Plus but don't think I'd have been disappointed if we'd have managed to have our Executive delivered instead.

I have to say the half leather seats in the Executive Plus are very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

We got an executive plus back in April as our executive was cancelled. Really glad we did as we'd still be waiting for an executive now but would agree its not worth the extra money. One feature I do like though is the electric driver side adjustment as myself and my wife both drive it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Seurat

Thoughts on a tethered vs untethered home charger?

The installer was saying tethered is easier as you dont have to go to the boot every time for a cable. The downside being there is a 5m cable hanging on the front or side of the house

From people with experience why is one better than other? (living in an estate)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Mine is tethered, and the cable doesn't bother me. If I'm feeling enthusiastic I coil it tidily and loop it over the charger, and if I'm not I let it trail on the footpath (it's not in anyone's way there). It would bug be having to dig the cable out and put it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Ionised

For some reason the Hyundai Bluelink app decided to change itself to German language this morning.

Changed it back and all is well thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

My charger is untethered. It's all about personal preference and your needs. In my experience getting the cable out of the car and plugging in once a week isn't a big deal. No different to getting my work backpack off the back seat every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

not having to faff about having to stick the charger cable in the boot or deal with wet cables. tethered is a no-brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

Are there tethered charger options where the cable can be detached when not in use?

maybe stored in a shed if it does look ugly or if the ugly look doesn't bother one, it could be left connected, on display?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mailforkev

You’ve just described an untethered charger :)

You could always just leave a cable plugged into your untethered charger if you wanted. As long as you’re happy that it won’t get nicked by a dodgy passer by.

I weighed it all up and decided tethered was just more convenient for me, haven’t changed my mind since.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Did you get the front windows done? The windscreen and front passenger windows are the only ones which are restricted to blocking 35% and you have to be careful as they have a factory tint so you can't use a 35% tint.

For the back windows you can paint them if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭fafy

For my personal preference, Tethered was the only way to go, and agree, those “hose reels” look horrendously bad in front of houses, and just couldn’t be bothered getting the cable out of the car each and every time i chanrge, so went for something tetherered, but much tidier, they were very pricey, but i think of it as a long term investment.

Alas, they ceased trading last Monday, but this type of design, is still fairly unique, the 5 or 8m tethered cable, is hidden away, out of sight, open the top flap, and a light comes on.

I have still to see, a better overall discrete design, while also being, a highly practical solution:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ummagumma_78

Dealer was just in touch offering exterior paint and interior protection; smart repair; GAP cover. Think I’ll pass on the smart repair and GAP cover but wondering about exterior paint and interior protection. Is something like this worth the money? Each option is €400. Be interested to hear if people did or didn’t take these options

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Paint and interior protection is probably just Auto Glym stuff.

If you want protection get it done from a professional detailer. Paint protection requires the car being stripped of all contamination so a proper wash plus fallout/iron/tar remover and a claybar, any ceramic coating they apply will be much better than whatever a detailer will slap on. It's a full days work. €400 probably wouldn't be too far off what a detailer would want.

I would also say only get it done if you are particular about being careful when getting your car washed. If you just throw it through an automatic wash every other week I wouldn't bother but that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭yer man!

I have an untethered as I live in a terraced house where the charger needed to be placed right on the front of the house in plain view. The untethered was far more discreet for my case. I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Summer2020

I'd definitely refuse paint and fabric protection. The dealer makes huge commission from them, they're always trying to push them. In my experience you'd be far better spending the money on a detail by a professional. I didn't bother and no issues with the paintwork. Save your money for tinted windows if getting the exec version

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Summer2020

A lot of contaminants can be on a new car such as iron filings, bird droppings etc. They're all transported by boat/rail so they can pick up contaminants along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John arse

Claying is a harsh enough process(when done properly) where you actually cut down into the clearcoat on top and then buff back up-not sure i'd want or indeed need it done on my new paintwork.It's normally a process applied on tired and damaged old paintwork.

• Advertisement

I've never seen anyone specifically saying claying should only be done on older or tired paintwork. I don't see anyone saying it shouldn't be done on a new car either, I've only see some people say it isn't an absolute must but most would do it on a new car.

I'm not saying I'm doing it as I certainly don't have the patience, just mentioning it may be part of the decontamination process as I've seen it done on new cars from detailers plenty of times.

Advertisement