Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Is he rnd in battery technology, I think he might have gotten a bit caught up in the what is in development vs time lines for mainstream adoption. Same with any new technology the first step to releasing it (which will prob be 2026 now with supply chain issues) will firstly be very high end cars and expensive (also with issues). The challenge then is ramping up the production technology and making it cost effective and efficient (building and changing over production lines setting up supply chains and expertise) which also takes time. That'll likely be the end of this decade.

When you say Rnd for market leader is that an OEM or a supplier. Suppliers will be doing the industrialization OEM drive the concepts (to a degree) and roadmaps. The changes are coming but if your happy waiting for them fair enough current cars will be 7/8 years old by then so resell value won't be much of an issue.

Technology is coming but not anytime soon.

Ioniq 5 and Ev6 also have the competitive avantage of 800 volt architecture which is bigger when it comes to charging time so if the charging infrastructure upgrade is in place that will be a bigger game changer in the short term. Charging technology is there but the money for roll out is depending on if government put in what's needed which is not a guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭John arse

Eh because it's all i need,i'll worry about two or three years time in a couple of years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

Whatever about the bigger battery comment, im confused by the recommendation of the etron in that context. Yes it's got a big battery, but it's consumption is horrific (Even compared to the Ioniq 5). No point having a big battery if you need to move a bus. The real range is the same or less than the 58kWh Ioniq 5.

I was only saying though that there is no doubt when we look to shift our I5 on in about 8 years (as is the plan), it will be mad how old fashioned it will appear. Maybe it's battery chemistry, maybe it's battery size, maybe it's the styling, but I'm expecting lots of developments in EV tech between now and 2030.

Planning for 8 years time?you're really thinking ahead?,and yeah the e-tron has got terrible bad range reviews with some people getting rid because of it.

Well yeah, the only way I could justify buying new to myself was if we held onto it for 6 to 8 years to suck up the new car depreciation (that said the 2nd hand market has since gone even more bonkers!).

Also, anything less than 6 to 8 years we would have been financially better off buying a 2nd hand petrol octavia for about half the Capex, it takes until about year 6 for the cheaper EV opex to catchup the additional capex.

Finally, it's a nice coincidence that we will also pass the environmental breakeven by that stage too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

Out of curiosity, why did you sell your Kuga?

I'm thinking of buying either a plug-in hybrid or a pure EV, but the Kuga plug-in is in my shortlist for sure.

Yeah fair play,good luck with the new Wheels🚗👍!

Just wanted full electric-business has been very good and there's a few bob sitting around there.The kuga phev is an excellent car alright imo(350 mpg on it atm)but they're gone expensive now with no grant plus i'm getting more on a trade-in than i paid for it so,,,,,,,,,,

Anyone know is there a way to turn off keyless entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jackben75

difficult to decide, EV6 is definitely first choice but the Ioniq or ID4? No doubt ID4 will retain value a lot more than the Ioniq or EV6, no matter what dealers tell you, just look at the price history on most Hyundais and Kias. Perhaps ID4 is the smart choice going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭joe1303l

If you can get one, an Enyaq is far nicer inside and should have same resale as an ID.4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭eagerv

Not sure if that is true any more, Hyundai and Kia seem to be up there with the best of them in relation to residual value, especially with EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

I agree with you - 2nd hand ioniq 5's and EV6's are like hens teeth - they will command great resale prices imo.

possibly so, never thought of the Skoda, big beast i hear, will check it out. I had a Tucson before, high spec model of the new one that exploded in 2016 (was it), lost more or less half the value over the 3 years so just a bit wary. Ioniqs look cool (to me) but i think it won't date well, although 3 years should be fine. Contemplating a Rav 4 or the new Sportage plugin . Tucson plug in is nice but after my last experience, i dunno. Sportage looks to be the best value but it is a Kia, never thought i would buy one to be honest. Of course the EV6 looks super . Anyway, will explore further

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭joe1303l

KIA & Hyundai have come along way in recent years offering lengthy warranty and much better value than the likes of legacy japanese car makers. I’m sure they make great EV’s but €55K just seems like a lot of cash for any car with a Korean badge on it.

That said €55K doesn’t buy you much in any brand of new car anymore. Every manufacturer seems to have tried to move upmarket and have increased prices massively in the last 2 years in particular.

probably a very sensible comment. thinking about it, those of us who are buying now is because we have too ie pcp renewal or whatever. When production ramps up , which it will, the depreciation will hit most models hard across the board. The more I think it the more I think this is a terrible investment to make at this time. 3 years time and I will pay dearly for it. I am leaning towards paying the bubble (have the cash). my current car will of course depreciate but most likely nowhere near as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

Do you not reckon a new petrol or diesel bought now would depreciate alot more?

wouldn't say a lot more, infrastructure in general for EV's is still quite poor, obviously home charging saves the day. But as EV numbers increase, infrastructure must too. Interesting to see how it pans out. I would think they would both depreciate roughly the same over the next 5 years anyway. I wouldn't buy a straight petrol or diesel again. But it is pretty apparent when thinking about it, it is the worst time to buy a car in general. We would get hit in a big way in 3 years time, my opinion of course

anyway, i will stop my comments now, i am on 3 threads waffling about the same subject i guess. I think i will buy the gfv, it is relatively low and sit it out for a year anyway, see how things go

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭reb73

There is a setting to disable keyless entry in both blue link and in-car via settings/ev/convenience. Blue link is less reliable, it confirmed setting was sent to car but didn't work immediately after (car unlocked on approach). But changing in-car worked and turned it off as expected.

Edit: Comment in response to podge1979's comment from 26-Oct-2022 11:17 am, should have quoted but never mind.

Maybe factor in the 800 volt architecture of ev6 and ioniq 5. ID4's is already outdated, if and when the charger network ramps up with high speed the chargers potential of 350kw Vs I think now 175kw for ID4 will make a difference in resale price. EV6 and Ioniq5 and are future proofed there. One of the reasons I went for ioniq 5, also ID4 infotainment HW & SW is shocking bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,900 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think we'll be waiting a long time before we see 800v employed by the majority of chargers in Ireland.

May be true, but they're plentiful elsewhere already that you may be using the car. E.g. France, UK.

Really loved the insanely fast charging over the summer in France. 20 to 80% in ~18min was achieved regularly.

True but ionity are capable of speeds of 350 kw ESB charger in cork 250kw and when Tesla open up few options at 220kw I think.

If ionity go to that still potentially twice as fast as a current ID4, having a heat pump only improves that too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Got the call from the dealer today to say the car has been built in the factory in Korea and should be on the next shipment to Ireland. Dunno if it's just what they have been told to say by Hyundai and the car is actually sitting in the distributors but at least I have confirmation I will be picking it up first week in Jan. Very excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

All new VW MEB cars ship with the latest V3 software, just something worth noting if you're recommending to avoid the ID.4 from past experiences. With everything I've read about how bad software has been I've been pleasantly surprised with having no issues with V3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭josip

Might soon make an EV decision. A not unusual choice to be made between ID.4, Enyaq and Ioniq 5.

Hyundai PCP rates seem to be 5.9% compared to VW's 3.9% ?

I'm guessing that PCP rates aren't locked in at deposit time and you take what's on offer on delivery.

Has anyone negotiated a lower PCP rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,900 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Look at the Model Y as well. Price reduction has brought it in line with the above.

The Volvo may also be worth having a look at but that is a little more expensive I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think every 1% difference in PCP rate makes a difference of €900 on €20,000 financed over 36 months. So that also closes the price gap between the Ioniq and a Model Y. I prefer the Ioniq appearance. But...

• Advertisement

it is a bit wide, a little awkward, i test drove a good few but i think it looks cool. However, the pcp rate is a joke also the tucsons are 3.9%. Dealers offering circa 1 - 2k less on trade ins for Ioniq 5's, stating there isn't many about so they are taking as much profit as possible. Screw that! I have left it and will see what happens over the next year

Advertisement