Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

Agreed, it didn't make much sense. But I think we can all agree it wasn't intentional, but the vast majority of Reds aren't either, that's not the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Yeah, I don't think it was intentional but it was absolutely reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

A lot of 7's players. Would like to see Jennings kick on at full back but as things stand I can see TOH given another extension as there is nobody filling that gap at present. Indeed it's much the opposite where the fullback position seems to be a nightmare position which is not good and says nothing much good about the coaching staff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Would love to see Jennings get game time at 15. No real need to give TOH an extension. Cordero, Jennings and Porch all under contract next season from what I can tell.

You also have Nicholson and West in the academy. Looks like West is being converted to a fullback, lining out for Buccs there and played for that Irish U23 team against Italy at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

O'Halloran is still comfortably our best fullback. We haven't really managed the succession planning particularly well imo. Jennings played a good bit of 15 in the AIL at the start of last season but was never tried at senior level. McNulty was given a couple of opportunities but never consistently enough to establish any form, and now appears to be on the way out. Smith given one game at 15 before being moved to the wing. McNamara was on the bench for the first two games of the season before being banished to the AIL. Porch and Hansen occasionally play fullback but appear to be very much seen as wingers.

I read somewhere that Harry West is going to be focusing on sevens for the Olympics but can't find a source on that now.

On another note, Belfast Telegraph are reporting that Leinster have tried and failed to sign Tom O'Toole. Hopefully they don't come knocking for Jack Aungier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kita99

I'm pleased to look at above post that suggest West is healthy. I'm Convinced that he is a better runner (especially 'cut in sharply') than younger Prendergast. And He is also good kicker (not as much as Prendergast). Maybe he can fit at 10 and 15.It is very regrttably that Hanrahan looks getting Knee injury at almost every game, so Connacht should try some young players at his position instead him.

I think that Harry West can't fit to 7's because he is small for current 7's games. Did you look at Argentina7's team at Perth? They were all giants and not only strong but also fast. In Ireland 7's team, maybe Mullins was tallest one, and he worked as jumper, but he seemed not enough at the height. Ireland7's team needs a few jumpers taller than him like Gavin. (He looks strong at the break down.)

ain't that the truth. In all honesty Porch has shown little aptitude at full back and neither has Mack. Jennings hasn't had much of an opportunity and Cordero is a complete unknown. Indeed with TOH calling the shots the team seems to function a lot better so I doubt he will be discarded just yet

Post edited by ElisaAtWar on

Eric O’Sullivan rumoured to be leaving Ulster. With Milne supposedly headed to Munster, wonder would Connacht be in the market for EOS?

If Thornbury hasn’t recovered fully I’d also be looking at bringing Quinn Roux back. Have himself and Joyce battle for the tight head lock.

Matt Gallagher was linked with a return to Munster briefly but I wouldn’t mind Connacht putting in a bid for him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

We seem fairly stocked at LH but if any were released he would be most welcome. Still only 28.

I'd have Roux back in a heartbeat of Thornbury was released. But we do have Josh Murphy coming back after his year off. By the way he has been playing AIL.

Don't know too much about Gallagher tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭conncussed

I'm not sure if Quin Roux rejoining would make financial sense for us. At 33 a lock of his quality still commands a very good salary. Do we want to use our limited budget on a player who will limit the time we use to develop the Murrays? If Quin were here right now he'd probably starting two out of three games.

I doubt we're in for Matt Gallagher. The IRFU won't want us competing with Munster and we already have a lot of under used back three resources. I see us backing Cordero to become our starting fullback, extending Tiernan for another 12 months, and looking to develop one of our existing players as a third option.

I haven't watched enough of Eric O'Sullivan to know if he'd improve our loosehead options sufficiently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Don't particularly rate O'Sullivan but he would be grand as a replacement for Burke or Duggan. I would like one of the 4 senior squad slots to be filled by a young player with the potential to replace Buckley over the next two seasons, whether that's one of Ward or Michel, or perhaps we could look at converting Temi Lasisi back to loosehead.

Hard pass on Roux. He barely got onto the pitch for us during his last couple of seasons with us, and is now well into his 30s. As a capped international is a well paid position I assume he would command a decent salary, and its hard to see us getting our money's worth out of him.

We have far too many outside backs on the books currently, wouldn't want to see us signing more unless there's a decent clearout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I think Roux still has a house in Galway and always wanted to move back so I don't think his wage demands would be otherworldly if he wants to wind down.

If a sensible arrangement could be made about money he's still an excellent player. He appears to have had better luck with injuries of late.

Only issue I have with the Irish team selection tonight relates to Robbie. Since he moved to Leinster he seems to have been murdered with injuries. And does anyone remember a young lad called Cian Kelleher who was doing really well at Connacht and has now disappeared into oblivion

Robbie plays a very abrasive physical game. He's been unlucky with injuries at Leinster but he also takes a lot of contact.

Cian Kelleher plays for Ealing Trailfinders in the English Championship. I suppose the RFU and Premiership have pretty much turned that into oblivion. He backed himself to return to his home province but the harsh truth is that Leinster have seasoned internationals and better players coming through. Even when he scored tries for us he was suspect defensively and under a high ball.

Yeah I remember him saying he was always going to return to Galway eventually.

Didn't realise Cian Kelleher went to Ealing Trailfinders. Not a shabby team. Why he left is his own decision. What kills me about Trailfinders is that the RFU will not allow them access to the premier league because their facilities do not meet requirements.

There is the expression 'for club and country'. Bundee you have the latter part sorted, now would you mind sorting out the former. And if Connacht isn't good enough for you anymore then just do the honourable thing and move to a club you wish to perform for. I think it would help everyone involved

Would love to see Hugh Gavin given senior minutes before the season is out.

• Advertisement

Problem with the later part of the season is that results become even more crucial so rotation is even less likely

Would agree results become more important but the opposition is arguably weaker. Playing the lions, Dragons and zebre in the second half of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Looks like a ready made Aki replacement even though Bundee is still playing at a high level.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Every now and then, someone makes a post, and it becomes crystal clear that their opinion is worthless

Post edited by CuriousCucumber on

I'm embarrassed that a supporter would post this crap. It's up there with those who have booed him off the pitch because he didn't have a great game after a long time away.

Bundee has been half baked for most of his Connacht minutes this season and built in quality as he played. If anything the province has sold him short so far by not building a season where he has major games to contribute to.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kita99

I think that Connacht got 'world class' ctb at last night in France. I can't wait the day to see him alongside Hansen. I'm so sorry this boring post.

I didn't expect a positive response to my post. And no indeed I was not one of those 'fans' who booed him off the pitch.

At the same time I certainly don't agree that Bundee should have the Connacht selectors fitting him into an appropriate game for him.

One thing is very clear. He is not a leader. He is a fantastic rugby player but he needs to be in an environment where his qualities supplement the team but at the same time he must be complimented and loved and success is imperative.

Unfortunately Connacht is not such a team. At Connacht you just grind out the best season you can and hope for the best. This is not enough for Bundee.

It's my opinion and I am in no way embarrassed by it because I firmly believe it's the truth.

And I believe such selfish behaviour has a negative knock on for the rest of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

If no one acknowledges him, he might stop, and find a sport or a team he wants to support

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Vary much enjoyed the U20 game against France. As mentioned above Hugh Gavin was very impressive. Looking at last year's line up, I noted that 11-13 are all now in our Academy:

(11) James Nicholson

(12) John Devine

(13) Hugh Gavin

All three have yet to make their debuts in senior rugby.

Their French opposite numbers from last year's U20 Chamionship final were:

(11) Théo Attissogbé

who has had 12 starts and 1 appearance off the bench for a total of 629 minutes

(12) Paul Costes

5 starts and 4 appearance off the bench for a total of 470 minutes

(13) Nicolas Deportere

who has had 12 starts and 2 appearance off the bench for a total of 1002 minutes

It is argued that the Irish system takes a more player friendly approach to development and that the French are rushing players through, but the contrast above suggests a reluctance that exceeds caution. And it's not only about the most recent intake, Look at Mattie Devine.

Eagles games seem to have disappeared entirely. In the lull between the URC/HEC games die to the 6N Connacht have no friendlies, where Munster and Leinster have two apiece. This leaves AIL (mostly in the lower divisions), or for those like Gavin, the underage competitions.

My point is: our young talent should not be sitting on its hands in the Academy. More of these players should be give opportunities with the senior squad (I would argue that we could cut the senior squad to a point which will imply some reliance on the academy, especially among the backs), or else a real priority should be made to organise fixtures for our A teams, friendlies etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Far more opportunities in france to get games with 14 top flight teams, another 16 in prod2

You cant cut senior squad as makes injuries hurt prospects even more.

Some academy players vould or should be moved to other clubs in other provinces until connacht clubs can stay in division 1/get back to division 1 consistently.

Advertisement