Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I like that idea! That's a good way to get them quality minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Yes the TOP 14 has more fixtures but the French teams are also more willing to play their emerging talent at a younger age. The Prem has a similar number of fixtures to the URC (18 v 16), yet all of the players at 11/12/13 on last year's England U20 team have made multiple appearances for their clubs.

As regards AIL club transfers, this is already happening, both DTM and Oran McNulty have played for Garryowen this season.

I'm going to stand by my point that Connacht need to do more in terms of creating playing opportunities for their younger players. We also have senior squad members who were not getting any value from. As the runt of the provincial litter in terms of the provinces, it needs to be get better value for money, we're not going to be indulged. We also need a setup that motivates talented young players to come and make it their home, and that means the opportunity for quick progression. Obviously it does happen, see Cian Prendergast, but IMO it should happen more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Easier to play the younger players when theres 14 teams and then the 16 in division 2. I was saying that more than theres more games which tbf also helps.

Connacht could be trying to find a games but all provinces not playing them as much as they used to.

There used to be a substantial number of connacht players including academy playing woth limerick/dublin clubs but you can see why the province wants its players with its own clhbs especially if they can help get those clubs up the divisions as well.

Predergast got fast tracked as he wad clearly ready to go up grades. Others have been played first team quickly after joining as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Gavin was phenomenal on Saturday, the best player on a pitch littered with professional experience. His opposite number had played 16 Top 14 and Challenge Cup games, and he played him off the park. I believe that the coaching staff should have a plan for every single player under contract, but it is particularly imperative that such a talent be managed in a considered manner. He shouldn't be anywhere near Galwegians after the 6N, AIL 2C is beneath him. I would argue that such a plan should look something like:

• Full time senior training upon his return from Ireland duty and a few caps before the end of the season.
    • A 3 year senior contract from 24/25 and a further 10+ caps.
    • First choice 13 from 25/26 on.

While versatility is no harm for a young player, and playing him on the wing may be a good way to introduce him to first team action, long term I would be looking at him as our first choice outside centre. I do think 12 is his best position but our age profile there is good with Forde, Hawkshaw, and Devine. On the other hand, Tom Farrell turns 31 this year and we have failed to establish an alternative at 13 thus far.

The above seems nearly insulting to the coaching staff, however I just can't see what our plan is/has been for some of our most talented young players over the past while. Shane Jennings is 23 now and has played barely over 100 senior minutes. Oisin McCormack turns 23 soon and has 17 Challenge Cup minutes to show for almost 5 years in the system. Is our plan for Matthew Devine to have him play two full seasons in the lower reaches of the AIL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Connacht have some serious depth in the backline. At 12 alone there's, Forde; Hawkshaw and Aki. In the academy there's Gavin, Devine and Hawkshaw. There's no room for them all! In the interest of fairness, 2 of them should be moved on to the other provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭conncussed

My guess is that Connacht have moved to a model where senior starts in many positions are based on players being very competitive in training. Our squad has a lot more depth and quality in most positions than ever before with only 22 regular season fixtures. The downside for Connacht is that we're not a team like Leinster where rotation is a lower risk higher reward model with the cream of players from their huge pool. Our coaches get pilloried by supporters whenever fielding a weakened side costs us a game.

Gavin has looked brillant so hopefully he's in a position to put his hand up next season. The coaches seem to like Ralston as our second choice 13. Until his Yellow against Munster he'd played every minute of the season and covered Farrell at all but one game there. Gavin and the other young backs can take some inspiration from Cathal Forde. As soon as he was good enough to play he became indispensable.

At some point Wilkins stated in an interview that Matthew Devine has been training full time with the senior squad since the start of the season. We don't have a lot of depth there so he may get his chance.

I do think that our coaches need to be strategic about developing a larger core of Connacht men across the team even if it involves a bit more short difficulty.

Forde certainly took his chance and then some, but in Bundee's absence it took an injury to David Hawkshaw to get that opportunity. Cian Prendergast got his break when Sean Masterson got injured early on against Racing a few seasons back, and I think it was an injury crisis that led to him being on the bench in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

In the absence of sufficient gametime for wider provincial squad members, the IRFU has to produce more gametime. Would a small interpros tournament aimed at academy players and recent graduates be a good idea? Older squad players could also be used to fill out teams but preference given to younger players. Play the other three provinces and possibly a final + 3rd/4th place game. Venues chosen to minimise travel.

Play the weekends of the Champions Cup knock outs, that means lads are still available for URC if needed. It also falls nicely after the U20 6N so those lads have time to integrate into their provincial side's systems. Might also give lads who missed the U20 6N a chance to stake a claim for the JWC squad. AIL clubs wouldn't be happy but lads playing for professional contracts need to be tested against their peers, not amateur players.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Don’t think there is a need to move any on tbh. Bundee and Farrell will both be winding down in the next few years. Could definitely see Forde and Gavin being in senior Irish squads in the next few seasons too.

• Advertisement

Them, and the majority of young players in modern rugby. The old days of Connacht needing to field a very inexperienced bench due to a few injuries are thankfully gone right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

any of you goys going to match on Sunday? gonna hit ballsbridge early for some creamers before kick off

Cordero must be due back. Does anyone have an update?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

wow. wonder if he is even going to be chanced this season. maybe playing 23 at some stage!!!

Injury update from Connacht today.

Boyle, Forde, Sean O'Brien available for this week's game against Cardiff.

Jennings, Reilly, Kilgallen, and Porch all aiming for Scarlets in early March.

McCormack and DTM late March.

No update on Mack or Cordero.

Cardiff have picked up 13 of their 21 points against the bottom four URC teams and they're contributing nine mostly inexperienced players to the Wales squad. Even if they get some Welsh players back for the weekend we should be able to field a significantly better team than them.

Now while some say I recommend wholesale changes the reality is I do not. But Forde surely has to be worth a shot at 10. We know what our alternatives provide

I'd be in favour of this, but I don't believe it will happen. Management have shown very little creativity in selection at halfback and 15. Having spent the money to bring in JJ, that will function as a psychological obstacle to them stepping outside the box. Forde at 10 would be a logical thing to do given the age profile and our depth at centre, but that's our read on the situation through a blinkered provincial frame.

There's been no mention of Connacht amid the speculation in terms of provincial moves among the Leinster 10s, but it can't be excluded. If I was Harry Byrne or Frawley, Galway looks like a more functional set up than Belfast, and the opportunity to be a starter rather than Crowley's understudy at Munster. So we'll see. I'd assume JJ is on a one year contract, and Jack is up at the end of next season. Interesting times.

Post edited by Zeugnis on

Last year we came seventh with 50 points, no guarantee that’ll suffice this year, but it’s some type of a yardstick.

We are currently on 24 with nine matches to play, for a maximum of 45 points. 6 wins, two bonus points will get us to 50. We’re likely competing with Stormers, Benettron, Edinburgh, Munster, Ulster, and Ospreys for positions 4-8.

Next fixtures: Cardiff (A), Scarlets, Lions, Benetton (A), Zebre, Dragons (A), Munster (A), Stormers, Leinster (A)

Five of those we would expect to win. Stormers is 50/50. Benetton (A) with all their internationals back is tough but not impossible, nor is Munster (A). I wouldn’t count on bringing anything home from Dublin.

• Advertisement

Tough for McCormack, running out of time to earn a new contract.

Think I’d go for something along the lines of:

Buckley DTM Aungier

Joyce N Murray

Prendergast Jansen SHL

Blade Carty

Forde Farrell

Bolton TOH Smith

Heff Dooley Illo Dowling SOB Devine JJ Ralston

DTM is injured, Ralston is serving the last game of his suspension.

We struggle to produce homegrown back rows. McCormack is as good as it gets in terms of profile (a rare Ireland u20 starter, might have played two seasons of u20s but for injury iirc) and he's been given 17 Challenge Cup minutes across 4.5 seasons (1.5 as a pro).

I thought realhorrorshow said Jack got a new 3 year deal last Summer?

Max Flynn looks like he could be another coming through. Hoping he makes it back before the end of this years u20s six nations

Heff starting, McElroy on the bench and Oliver onto the bench instead of Ralston so

• Advertisement

Kilgallen to Munster confirmed, toughest departure to take for a good while imo. Injured anyway ATM but even once back I'd rather minutes went to Jennings, Bolton, or Gavin instead.

Advertisement