Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭conncussed

Forde is definitely viewed as a 12 by the Connacht coaches. We've started him a 13 a couple of times but that was with Aki at 12 and Tom Farrell injured.

I'd have liked to have seen the coaches look at him as an outhalf but he's only started there once when we were deep in an injury crisis. I'd say that option has passed which is a shame. We could really do with developing an indigeous Connacht outhalf to compete with Jack over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Being thinking about the Kilgallen move and I really wonder if the reason is that Crowley and Casey allow him more opportunity than the JJ/Jack Blade axis. If I were a winger I think I would prefer the Munster setup. Kilgallen would be first choice winger at Connacht but if you playing behind the axis mentioned I honestly can't blame him for moving

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

Probably more to do with Mike Prendergast than just the half backs.

I wonder did Mossy have a word in his ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭leakyboots

While the player made the decision, and I'm glad with the signing as a Munster fan, it's a **** one for Connacht. I'd hate to see us lose a promising player like Kendellen for e.g.

Leinster are a different kettle of fish given the massive population and private wealth advantages in their setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,703 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't want to see Mack at full back. He's a fantastic winger, he shouldn't be playing 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭testtech05

Team named for tomorrow evening

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (229)

14. Shayne Bolton (10)

13. David Hawkshaw (22)

12. Cathal Forde (21)

11. Andrew Smith (7)

10. JJ Hanrahan (12)

9. Caolin Blade (182) (C)

1. Denis Buckley (240)

2. Dave Heffernan (189)

3. Jack Aungier (60)

4. Niall Murray (66)

5. Joe Joyce (11)

6. Shamus Hurley-Langton (30)

7. Conor Oliver (75)

8. Cian Prendergast (59)

16. Tadgh McElroy (10)

17. Peter Dooley (29)

18. Sam Illo (14)

19. Oisín Dowling (53)

20. Jarrad Butler (122)

21. Michael McDonald (5)

22. Jack Carty (204)

23. Tom Farrell (106)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Good team but I don't get Farrell on the bench over Hawkshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I suppose the thinking is they can bring TF on and then move Hawkshaw around in a utility back role. I'm glad that Michael Mcdonald is getting a decent run, but it's sad that they're not willing to take a shot on Devine. Bit surprised to Jarrad on the bench seeing as Boyle and SOB are back.l

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I would prefer our best 13 starting ahead of 3rd or 4th choice 13 as this is a game we really could do with picking up 5 from. I would prefer Devine getting a go from the bench too. Can't understand the Boyle omission.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭kita99

Mr Oliver, please keep on-side (no self judge) and never see CARD.

• Advertisement

I'm confused by our 13 selection too. It almost looks like we're planning to move away from Farrell in the long term. He's still our best 13.

I'd like to see Devine developed too but he may be a bit behind schedule. This season has been his first training with the senior team. I vaguely remember some injury problems after his u20s success. If the don't think he's ready to play 70+ minutes he isn't really ready to bench yet.

Boyle's back in training after almost two months out with the eye issue. It would be easy to not be completely up to speed after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Hawkshaw has never let the team down when called upon and has looked really good at 13 recently. He has some strong leadership qualities too. Might be an important thing that they are looking for with the likes of Bundee out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Wonder when Farrell's and Porches contracts are up. Can see both wishing a switch due to lack of game time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Porch has been injured essentially all season in fairness. I don't think it's due to rotation from Wilkins in this instance.

Porch signed a two year contract in Jan 23 so he's here for the 24/25 season. I think his absence has been mostly down to injuries. He'd have been our 23rd man quite often if fit.

Farrell signed a two year deal in Jan 22 so he's up for renewal this Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Big game this evening. That top 8 spot may need a bigger points total than the 50 that has done the trick previously as Lions look good and Treviso havena lit of points on the board already.

We really need a win here to keep Cardiff out of the mix.

Five of our six remaining URC rounds are against weaker teams below us in the URC table, with Treviso away being the exception. As a team that needs to finish in the top eight we should be targeting a bonus point win in all five of those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,703 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm hoping for, and half expecting, a big win tonight. Five pointer is needed and I think we'll get it.

Like the team and Cardiff are missing a bunch of international players.

Strange call to go for the corner with the early pen but once the maul wasn't moving blade has to get it out quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭bingobango12

Question for you Connacht folk.

Have heard a few commentators pronounce Niall Murray’s name as Murr-ayy. Is that how he says it himself or are commentators getting it wrong?

• Advertisement

It's correct. It's a pronunciation variation in Roscommon and the Eastern areas nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭bingobango12

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That's red card

• Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hard to see anything other than red. Head to head. Can’t tackle leading with your head

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

No mitigation as he was out of control entering the tackle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Blade channelling in his inner soccer player with that effort to buy a peno

Ah lads. That was poor

Poor try to concede with a man extra there.

Connacht have stopped playing since the red card. It won’t win you the game by itself lads.

• Advertisement

Sums it up. They have been brutal since that and even before the red tbh. I thought they scored 2 phases before the try was given there aswell.

Yet another away game where we just don't turn up. What is it about us nearly look like expecting to win. That's not how it works.

Edit: absolutely poxed lads need to use that to wake up to F**K

Advertisement