Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

It's one of the most straightforward red cards I've ever seen - I really doubt he was intentionally stamping, but it's the definition of reckless and it's not remotely exaggerating to say Finlay Bealham could have lost an eye here ffs.

The people running these disciplinary appeals need their head examined if they think that wasn't a red.

Next thing you know, Langdon will get off for his assault on Ahern too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Prendergast called up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭b.gud

In other Prendergast news he is joint 2nd for most turnovers won in the pool stages of the champions cup with 7, just 1 behind VDF

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭kita99

Maybe the commitee members live in 20th century. At that time, lying players on the ground were regarded as small stones. Now (21th), all stanping deserves red card in the case of not only face but even also body.

Cogratulation, Prendergast. but I am a little afraid of Cardif and Benetton matches both away. Dowling will be expected at 6 and Jansen or SOB at 8. But if POM and Conan are healthy, Prendergust will have no chance of appearance and release from the duty. Even its case, I think that Dowling should be at 6 (and Prendergust mainly at 8).

Prendergast will likely be released back to Connacht for those games, as he took Ahern's place as a training squad member and not a full squad member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Yeah the +3 seems a good idea to subject some of these prospects to the first-team training camp environment.

However, if he did make the 34, I can't see him getting picked in a match-day 23 without a lot of injuries, and am I right in thinking that he wouldn't be available for Connacht either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

Can't beleive they over-turned the red card, even if it wasn't intentional he knew that Finlays head was likely to be where his foot would land, he had a duty of care that he ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Absolute madness. I've watched the replays repeatedly and I can't see what mitigation they could have found.

There was zero obstruction of his view, Bealham didn't move or roll into the way, and he wasn't knocked off balance by another player at the ruck.

It totally undermines any claims about player welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭conncussed

The referee sent Josh Caulfield off for intentionally stamping on Finlay's head. Caulfield didn't accept the charge of "stamping" and the disciplinary committee agreed with him so the red card was overturned. He was knocked off balance and his foot came down in exactly the wrong place. Accidents happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭GBXI

How was he knocked off balance? He should face a ban for the lack of personal responsibility. It was like watching a cow hurdle a fence.

• Advertisement

I should have chosen a better word than "knocked". He's trying to step over Finlay while changing direction to enter the ruck legally with another team mate about to bind onto him. It was clumsy and resulted in an accidental clash with Finlay's head. Probably a yellow for failure in duty of care but definitely not a red for the intentional act of stamping.

My final comment on the topic so we can just agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

"Knocked off balance" is very very soft there.

There was the lightest of touches by his teammate. His upper body doesn't move or change direction at all.

The same thing is being said in the munster thread about the knee that Aherne got. "It may not have been intentional, but it would have looked the same if it was".

Or else treat it like the Ralston hit on JOD. It's either an intentional attempt to injure a guy or he arrived with no control and the result was an injury.

I don't think it's dramatic to say that Bealham could have lost an eye there.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Game against Section Paloise on Sunday April 7th, kick off 4.30 (3.30 Irish time).

https://www.epcrugby.com/challenge-cup/matches/276338/news

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Thought it was 18:30 (local)/17:30 (Irish Time)

Not according to the EPCR link above which should be definitive, but now I see that in the tweet that EPCR published it gives a later kick off time for for Pau v Connacht and Sharks v Zebre. I've written to them to ask for clarification.

Post edited by Zeugnis on

Leinster are playing two friendlies during February against Bath and Saracens. Munster are playing Crusaders and Harlequins. But I haven't heard about us having any additional fixtures - is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

There's an article in the Independent saying Munster are after Kilgallen. Could be just agent shithousery.

They can't outbid. Kilgallen would have to decide that he wanted to leave and refuse to extend his contract, a la Henshaw. It would be extremely disappointing if he was to do so, after having gone through our academy and been given so many opportunities as a senior player. Hopefully it's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Not just the academy, he played u19 for us while still in school too. Would be a big blow to lose him, but it's very understandable why other provinces would be interested. If I were Leinster I'd be taking a serious look at either him or Bolton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Connacht have done an amazing job in development and scouting. Both from outside ireland, from leinster and their own. Like the raw numbers aren’t crazy from connacht, but the Murray brothers, Barrett, Gavin, Jennings, Forde, Farthing.. even guys like Walsh and O Connell who played u18 clubs this year. Its extremely impressive.

• Advertisement

I thought he was from Kildare and went to Roscrea - was he already in the Academy when he played u19 or how did it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Nah, been whispers of it for a couple of weeks now.

Munster need back three depth and I'd imagine he very much fits the mould for them in terms of physical presence. Tall guy with good pace....he'd suit there attacking structure very well.

He has only really got a good run this season....was he previously injured a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Would be seriously disappointing to lose him. Hopefully he stays. Has been with us a good while so it would hurt that bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Very tough on Connacht if Kilgallen leaves. Came through the academy. Finally broke through onto the first team this season. Started scoring tries. Got injured. And now he might be off.

Would mean they would have to invest in the back three next season. Cordero will be back hopefully but TOH isn’t getting any younger. Not sure what Porch’s contract situation is?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭kita99

I don't worry so much. In Connacht, there are many good back 3 players as him. Hansen, Ralston, Bolton, Porch, Smith, McNulty who was impressive at the game against Bristol, Cordero, Jennings, Mullins (after Olympics), Gavin (He can play as winger.). And O'Connor may makeover. Connacht should seek IQ players ( any positions) around the world like Hansen or Bolton. Now the success story of Hansen is known by all rugby societies in the world. From now, volunteers will continue to increase. Galway is one of the world -class excellent city in the world so talented rough players will want to come here. But if it is true,Connacht must harsh correspondence against him and should give some chancesfor young players.

Perhaps Kilgallen thinks that Connacht have placed too much priority on overseas players (Mack, Bolton, Ralston, Porch, Cordero, MacNamara) and converting sevens players rather than developing back three players who've come through our academy. We've been using an out half as back three cover regularly. He's had game time on the wing but with a fully fit squad I see the coaches rotating him through lesser league games.

Cordero was already a top class international when we signed him but otherwise everyone including Mack have been playing some careful moneyball with large player numbers.

If Graham Rowntree or Mike Prendergast convinced me that that my direct style of wing play was in his plans - and it seems to be - I'd probably be very tempted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

So basically there's one article in the Irish Independent.

Not exactly much to get worked up about yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Would be very disappointed if Kilgallen goes to Munster. I think himself and Bolton Would have been pretty much nailed on first choices when fit and Mack was away.

Saying that the likes of Smith and Ralston have looked decent in patches and theres Gavin, Chay Mullins, Jennings, Josh O’Connor and Mallon all in the academy.

Ralston has actually started eight games on the wing this season. Until his yellow card v. Munster he'd played every minute of the season. The coaching team were clearly eager to have him on the pitch.

I definitely hope this is all just contract season noise and he will sign a new deal.

• Advertisement

Advertisement