Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government flip flops / school closures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Senior management meeting in our place on Thurs, then staff meeting on Friday. To be fair, I'd rather go into the weekend with an idea of what is expected of us rather than try to cobble it all together last minute on Monday.

I would say an awful lot of that could be done by email:
    • Staff to use Teams/Google Classroom/ whatever is standard practice for school.
    • Try and provide live lessons/be live on line where possible/ if not have work up for students so they can access it
    • School building will be open Friday morning for staff to collect books etc if necessary
    • Have an agreed procedure for non attending students (e.g. follow up email or referral to year head for phone call home) to ascertain if access issues are the problem or if they are just choosing not to login.

That would be the guts of what will be discussed at most staff meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Oh our principal sent an email on NYE (cos he wouldn't like to think think people were having a good time at home on their couch watching TV) to say he didn't know if we were supposed to be online teaching this week or not yet and he was waiting for guidance from ETB/Dept. Just sent to piss people off. C***.

Stories I hear about ETB schools make me glad I don't work in one.

To be fair to your principal, I've had emails and texts from colleagues asking should we do x y z, all on NYE. Some of our colleagues are just knobs and busy bodies and sometimes the principal is just trying to get ahead of that as opposed to having to send out 14 personal emails. Or your principal could be a dick too I dunno lol

He told staff he reported them to HR on the first day of lockdown in March for not logging in and that their pay would be docked. I would safely say option B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I would say an awful lot of that could be done by email:
    • Staff to use Teams/Google Classroom/ whatever is standard practice for school.
    • Try and provide live lessons/be live on line where possible/ if not have work up for students so they can access it
    • School building will be open Friday morning for staff to collect books etc if necessary
    • Have an agreed procedure for non attending students (e.g. follow up email or referral to year head for phone call home) to ascertain if access issues are the problem or if they are just choosing not to login.

That would be the guts of what will be discussed at most staff meetings.

Ah yeah agreed, but you are thinking that everyone will agree with what should be done. Even here you can see discrepancies. I myself personally believe that at leaving level if you have 4 hours of classes, 2 live classes, one recorded and one feedback /check in is fine. But you'll have others who don't want to record, others who don't want to do live as they have kids at home for the future.

This is then to be sorted out at a whole school level, parents, as you can see from the forum, don't understand that variance, so you have to ensure everyone is watertight on doing the exact same thing, or at least have their chance to have a disagreement, you can't do that over an email.

It'll be a disaster again like in March unless the govt outlines more stringently what's to be expected.

Defo a knob so!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,184 ✭✭✭✭km79

Has anybody been clearly instructed on whether they are expected to be teaching online tomorrow? Not a word from management in our place.

If they did make contact other teachers would be complaining about their holidays being encroached on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Ah yeah agreed, but you are thinking that everyone will agree with what should be done. Even here you can see discrepancies. I myself personally believe that at leaving level if you have 4 hours of classes, 2 live classes, one recorded and one feedback /check in is fine. But you'll have others who don't want to record, others who don't want to do live as they have kids at home for the future.

This is then to be sorted out at a whole school level, parents, as you can see from the forum, don't understand that variance, so you have to ensure everyone is watertight on doing the exact same thing, or at least have their chance to have a disagreement, you can't do that over an email.

It'll be a disaster again like in March unless the govt outlines more stringently what's to be expected.

!

Agree that we need to know what is expected but it's not as simple as deciding how many online/recorded classes we should do. I currently have download speed of 1.14MBps and upload speed of 0.17MBps. And this isn't a particularly slow day! I tried making Loom videos in March but had to give up. Zoom or Teams meetings are usable but far from ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Agree that we need to know what is expected but it's not as simple as deciding how many online/recorded classes we should do. I currently have download speed of 1.14MBps and upload speed of 0.17MBps. And this isn't a particularly slow day! I tried making Loom videos in March but had to give up. Zoom or Teams meetings are usable but far from ideal.

My WiFi is about the same. I assume school will be open and we can work from there rather than at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

With online teaching imminent, what do folk think about having a dedicated thread for us teachers only for all things teaching and learning online? From help with a particular ICT issue to ideas and/or lesson plans. Would there be any hope of it being a closed/limited access thread that you have to apply/request entry into? Do those things happen around here anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Think creche will stay open for teachers. Im dreading to teach with two young kids in the house.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Think creche will stay open for teachers. Im dreading to teach with two young kids in the house.

It's impossible to teach live with kids. That is why the govt remote plan will have more holes in it that a sht sieve and the problem will just be thrown at schools yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    My WiFi is about the same. I assume school will be open and we can work from there rather than at home.

Same here, would love to be able to use school facilities even if just for my own mental health and getting out of the house every day. Just checked internet and it’s currently 1.6MBps download speed and 0.2 MBps upload so I’m assuming that’s quite poor for live teaching. Someone in the know might be able to tell me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I know of three secondary schools including my own whose students overwhelming stated they do not want to have live classes in our review of lockdown. We are 1:1 iPads and were pretty much ready to go (bar the odd teacher who didn’t really use tech). There was an enormous push on for live classes.

So on hearing the feedback I spoke to my classes for sheer curiosity. The reasons varied but parents needing the WiFi, WiFi just not capable of it, a lot of students minding siblings during school hours, bereavements, stresses at home were the ones that stood out.

They overwhelmingly wanted video lessons they can self pace with access to teachers for questions and with at most one live lesson a week. They wanted no homework and less workload.

As a parent I couldn’t do the live, I had the two kids and my job was the secure one. So I did split shifts recording lessons and correcting all night and weekends then doing child care and replying to emails during the school day. I nearly broke down tbh. I cried more during that period and seriously considered quitting but I knew my LCs wouldn’t have a sub then and the guilt would have killed me. I find the demands for live classes as the only option mental, has anyone asked the students themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    With online teaching imminent, what do folk think about having a dedicated thread for us teachers only for all things teaching and learning online? From help with a particular ICT issue to ideas and/or lesson plans. Would there be any hope of it being a closed/limited access thread that you have to apply/request entry into? Do those things happen around here anymore?

Totally. I’m happy to help out, I’ve a decent chunk of experience with it now between iPad and working from home. I’m iPad/MacBook based if anyone has any questions.

We had an informal ICT help desk google meet every lunchtime in school during lockdown. I learnt and taught so much during that and so many other teachers say the same. It was also my headspace because it was casual and not covid related, we chatted away as well as discussing tech issues. It was like the staffroom

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Stewie Griffin

Teach30 wrote: »
    Same here, would love to be able to use school facilities even if just for my own mental health and getting out of the house every day. Just checked internet and it’s currently 1.6MBps download speed and 0.2 MBps upload so I’m assuming that’s quite poor for live teaching. Someone in the know might be able to tell me?

Yeah it will be hard to live stream with that alright.

Totally. I’m happy to help out, I’ve a decent chunk of experience with it now between iPad and working from home. I’m iPad/MacBook based if anyone has any questions.

We had an informal ICT help desk google meet every lunchtime in school during lockdown. I learnt and taught so much during that and so many other teachers say the same. It was also my headspace because it was casual and not covid related, we chatted away as well as discussing tech issues. It was like the staffroom

I'm working with Teams and have taught myself a good bit of stuff in the last hour or so. Not an expert by any means on the tech side but would have a fair amount of resources available in my subject areas that could be very easily adapted to suit others

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I will look into the logistics of setting this up. Thanks.

Haven't heard from school yet but I think I'll live stream using Google Meet (sharing screen) and then just record the lesson for those students who couldn't access it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭French Toast

I reckon I'll video record lessons and upload them for students to access as they wish. 3-4 lessons weekly.

Daily tasks, one live class weekly to touch base (optional attendance).

Something like that.

spurious wrote: »
    I will look into the logistics of setting this up. Thanks.

There is in some forums on here private forums where people have to request access. Once they're in, they can post in any thread in that sub forum. Like the Ladies Lounge Private.

That would probably be easier, as multiple threads could exist in a private forum.

• Advertisement

I reckon I'll video record lessons and upload them for students to access as they wish. 3-4 lessons weekly.

Daily tasks, one live class weekly to touch base (optional attendance).

Something like that.

It's the more logical thing to do, students can access them whenever they want then. Removes a lot of the issues of sharing devices at home, only being able to access internet when parents are finished work etc.

I tried doing a teams call with my third years early on in lockdown in March and the vast majority would not answer the call. Stuck to recorded stuff after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

Guys, how do I record my voice to put a lesson on google classroom? I have 46 first years and no way will I do a live lesson with them all. Anyway its easier for the weaker ones to be able to pause the recording and play it back if they need to .

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    Guys, how do I record my voice to put a lesson on google classroom? I have 46 first years and no way will I do a live lesson with them all. Anyway its easier for the weaker ones to be able to pause the recording and play it back if they need to .

If you have a windows computer there is an app on it called Voice Recorder. It's foolproof in that there's only a play, record, and save button. I used it all the time during the first lockdown to make audio recordings for my LCs, so they could follow along with the book at home. Recorded all the audio files and then uploaded for them to use.

Here's a youtube video on how to use it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw95UFPapTo

I also just numbered the recordings so it was easier for them to follow them in order: Mechanics 1, Mechanics 2... etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

What did teachers find most practical/useful for learning last time?
    In class I usually read from the book as it suits my subject and explain it as I go. I use PowerPoint for notes but only very occasionally. I’m trying to integrate more options this time around so looking for best practice. I guess reading from book doesn’t really suit as upload for me and download for them difficult.
    Last time I told students what to read and then answered any questions if they had any. They posted work which I corrected and sent feedback, which was fine. Should I be doing more?

Teach30 wrote: »
    What did teachers find most practical/useful for learning last time?
    In class I usually read from the book as it suits my subject and explain it as I go. I use PowerPoint for notes but only very occasionally. I’m trying to integrate more options this time around so looking for best practice. I guess reading from book doesn’t really suit as upload for me and download for them difficult.
    Last time I told students what to read and then answered any questions if they had any. They posted work which I corrected and sent feedback, which was fine. Should I be doing more?

Depends on the subject really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I think I’ve got the plan for what I want to do.

One live class - Used as a check in for students, uploaded afterwards.
    One pre recorded video - work given after with resources.
    One assignment class - set work, provide resources.

We use Microsoft Teams but I’ve been using Classnotebook all year so I may get students to submit work in this way.

Anyone who uses Microsoft teams. Insights is a really handy tool for attendance during live classes and assignment submissions.

I think I’ve got the plan for what I want to do.

One live class - Used as a check in for students, uploaded afterwards.
    One pre recorded video - work given after with resources.
    One assignment class - set work, provide resources.

We use Microsoft Teams but I’ve been using Classnotebook all year so I may get students to submit work in this way.

Anyone who uses Microsoft teams. Insights is a really handy tool for attendance during live classes and assignment submissions.

Insights? Will have to look that up. Am doing intensive training on the more advanced bits of Teams at the moment.

I think we are going to be expected to be live for all classes. That's okay, but I will be doing 30mins of work, after which students may leave the recording and get organised for their next class or stay behind with any questions or issues they have. I will then end the lesson after 35-40mins to get ready for my next one.

We are only allowed to use Teams. I've heard of Loom - it looks cool. If I were to use that could I upload looms via Teams? Sorry if that is a ridicilous question!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Insights? Will have to look that up. Am doing intensive training on the more advanced bits of Teams at the moment.

I think we are going to be expected to be live for all classes. That's okay, but I will be doing 30mins of work, after which students may leave the recording and get organised for their next class or stay behind with any questions or issues they have. I will then end the lesson after 35-40mins to get ready for my next one.

We are only allowed to use Teams. I've heard of Loom - it looks cool. If I were to use that could I upload looms via Teams? Sorry if that is a ridicilous question!

Yes basically it is a tab you can add to your team and it collates data from each student. Time spent online, assignments submitted, attendance at meetings etc.

Some info for educators: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/educator-s-guide-to-insights-in-microsoft-teams-27b56255-90c0-47aa-bac3-1c9f50157181

I’m unfamiliar with loom but I’m sure if it allows video recording you may be able to share it via teams but I cannot see the benefit of that. Depends what device you are using??

If you people are using an iPad I would highly recommend ExplainEverything. There’s an EDU edition in the AppStore which is either free or relatively low cost. Ideal for prerecorded videos. If you have a stylus you can annotate as you record. It can be paused and edited too which is extremely beneficial.

I would also recommend GoodNotes. For any subject but I find it particularly useful for maths. Here there’s is a presentation mode and a pointer, useful when screen recordings. All Notes can be exported straight into teams as a PDF. You can also import exam papers, resources, etc straight into GoodNotes for annotating. Notes can be organised into folders etc and backed up in the cloud. Highly recommend spending the money on it, even in normal times.

• Advertisement

Insights?
    We are only allowed to use Teams. I've heard of Loom - it looks cool. If I were to use that could I upload looms via Teams?

Yes. When you make a loom video you just copy over the link to Teams/Google Classroom etc. You don't have to upload anything so its super quick!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement