Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government flip flops / school closures

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Yes basically it is a tab you can add to your team and it collates data from each student. Time spent online, assignments submitted, attendance at meetings etc.

Some info for educators: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/educator-s-guide-to-insights-in-microsoft-teams-27b56255-90c0-47aa-bac3-1c9f50157181

I’m unfamiliar with loom but I’m sure if it allows video recording you may be able to share it via teams but I cannot see the benefit of that. Depends what device you are using??

If you people are using an iPad I would highly recommend ExplainEverything. There’s an EDU edition in the AppStore which is either free or relatively low cost. Ideal for prerecorded videos. If you have a stylus you can annotate as you record. It can be paused and edited too which is extremely beneficial.

I would also recommend GoodNotes. For any subject but I find it particularly useful for maths. Here there’s is a presentation mode and a pointer, useful when screen recordings. All Notes can be exported straight into teams as a PDF. You can also import exam papers, resources, etc straight into GoodNotes for annotating. Notes can be organised into folders etc and backed up in the cloud. Highly recommend spending the money on it, even in normal times.

Was thinking of loom for pre-recorded lessons as it kind of looks cool, but I've downloaded it to have a go and it keeps crashing so not sure I'll bother with that.

I will have a look at insights - will be very good for assignments. I plan on taking the register for each class on eportal but will be interesting to see if that is actually allowed.

I've seen someone else using GoodNotes and it is excellent! Does it only exist for ipad/tablet? I just have a HP laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Was thinking of loom for pre-recorded lessons as it kind of looks cool, but I've downloaded it to have a go and it keeps crashing so not sure I'll bother with that.

I will have a look at insights - will be very good for assignments. I plan on taking the register for each class on eportal but will be interesting to see if that is actually allowed.

I've seen someone else using GoodNotes and it is excellent! Does it only exist for ipad/tablet? I just have a HP laptop

Screencastify does the same thing if you want an alternative. I had issues once with loom but a reboot fixed then

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Teach30 wrote: »
    What did teachers find most practical/useful for learning last time?
    In class I usually read from the book as it suits my subject and explain it as I go. I use PowerPoint for notes but only very occasionally. I’m trying to integrate more options this time around so looking for best practice. I guess reading from book doesn’t really suit as upload for me and download for them difficult.
    Last time I told students what to read and then answered any questions if they had any. They posted work which I corrected and sent feedback, which was fine. Should I be doing more?

My crowd would find it very hard to stay focused/alert if I was mostly reading from a book I think. Probably depends on the subject though.

I used Loom last time around or else used an iPad and pencil depending on what I was teaching. Students liked both options. You could use something like Loom with the eBook open on your screen and talk over it. You could build in questions/activities for them to do during the video where they have to pause it and answer the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Rosita

I know of three secondary schools including my own whose students overwhelming stated they do not want to have live classes in our review of lockdown.

They overwhelmingly wanted video lessons they can self pace with access to teachers for questions and with at most one live lesson a week. They wanted no homework and less workload.

Of course it is insane to think that replication of the school day where students have class after class is possible. Material has to be tailored to take cognisance of the reality that not everyone will have uncontested access to a computer device all day as if they are sitting in a classroom with a copy.

My main approach here will be to put decent material up with proper direction and to be available on questions on email or Google classroom. Live class will be an occasional bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Did anyone teach live classes as per timetable last time around? This is our schools approach this time and just looking for feedback.

• Advertisement

Screencastify does the same thing if you want an alternative. I had issues once with loom but a reboot fixed then

Screencastify looks great. Only a 5min limit unless I pay for a subscription. After paying out of my own pocket for years I just refuse to do it anymore. I will see what my principal says about paying for it. 2.5k for a whole school licence though! Is recording on Teams the same? I suppose it is.

5mins would be enough to do a tutorial on how to attach a file or something like that though, if they needed help with that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭C__MC

Can you pre record a lesson on teams btw?

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    Did anyone teach live classes as per timetable last time around? This is our schools approach this time and just looking for feedback.

We tried in so far as home childcare/sickness/tech ability arrangements worked. We are a 1:1 school. Students overwhelming voted against doing it again. They found it totally overwhelming

Screencastify looks great. Only a 5min limit unless I pay for a subscription. After paying out of my own pocket for years I just refuse to do it anymore. I will see what my principal says about paying for it. 2.5k for a whole school licence though! Is recording on Teams the same? I suppose it is.

5mins would be enough to do a tutorial on how to attach a file or something like that though, if they needed help with that kind of thing.

Yeah just the files can be massive. If recording a live class I would put the video through software like handbrake or it will be huge to put up by you and download by them

Someone in our ICT dept just put this up for us. Haven’t tried it so I’d be sure to check how big the file is

Its Free
    This allows you to screen record with audio.
    Trim start and end of your videos
    Save to your device or Google Drive
    * save to a folder where you will find it
    *rename your recording when given the option to as it will save as record#1 etc..

Type Screencast-o-matic into google search bar and follow the instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is in some forums on here private forums where people have to request access. Once they're in, they can post in any thread in that sub forum. Like the Ladies Lounge Private.

That would probably be easier, as multiple threads could exist in a private forum.

I think the option is that, or a thread where posts are pre-moderated, which would result in a delay and wouldn't be ideal.
    I have asked the powers that be what is possible in our forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My company IT crew would be having an absolute conniption at the possibility of us using any, all, or a combination of all these apps and programmes to have voice or online meetings.They only grudgingly accepted Zoom about a month ago, maintaining the line that conference calls (on phone lines) should be sufficient for everything since March.

The Department have just left the room completely in terms of accountability on all this.They are so far out of the real world in this it defies description.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Screencastify looks great. Only a 5min limit unless I pay for a subscription. After paying out of my own pocket for years I just refuse to do it anymore.

Do you also refuse the €500 handed to you every year precisely to cover your expenses such as this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Screencast-o-matic allows 15minute recordings. You can then upload them to YouTube to the screencast o matic webpage of your own or save them as a file on your computer.
    If you save them to the screencast o matic website you get a link that I assume you can give to the kids for them to watch the video. (I haven’t used that part yet)

It records as much of your computer screen as you want and you can do voice over with it. So just put up a PowerPoint and talk over it. And then you have your recording
    It’s very very simple to use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

C__MC wrote: »
    Can you pre record a lesson on teams btw?

I’m not sure what you mean by this. On Teams, you can record live classes/meetings by selecting that option when you begin one.

If you wanted to prerecord a lesson there are a whole host of options to you. Microsoft stream is the one which integrates with Teams and your O365 account but it’s not the best for prerecording. On iPad there is explaineverything, the native iOS screen recording function. On a Windows laptop there are plenty of screen recording programs.

As an aside, all recorded videos in Teams Live Classes will be sent to your Microsoft Stream account which can be readily shared to students afterwards.

salonfire wrote: »
    Do you also refuse the €500 handed to you every year precisely to cover your expenses such as this?

Where’s this now? €500? Where do I sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Where’s this now? €500? Where do I sign up.

Look up what flat rate expenses are, log in to the myRevenue and add it as part of your Tax Credits. You get 500 off your income tax liability every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Random sample

There is in some forums on here private forums where people have to request access. Once they're in, they can post in any thread in that sub forum. Like the Ladies Lounge Private.

That would probably be easier, as multiple threads could exist in a private forum.

I like the sounds of that. There is an overwhelming amount of information and lots of different platforms. I would like a thread for my platform without having to read through stuff I don’t understand and never need to.

Look up what flat rate expenses are, log in to the myRevenue and add it as part of your Tax Credits. You get 500 off your income tax liability every year.

Yeah sorry thought you were talking about something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I like the sounds of that. There is an overwhelming amount of information and lots of different platforms. I would like a thread for my platform without having to read through stuff I don’t understand and never need to.

Threads can be busy around here. Granting a person access to a private forum once is far easier than having to approve every post on a thread.

• Advertisement

What? Edited as I've caught up on the thread. Okay so it's not handed to me, it is something I have to add to my tax credits each year. In that case then yes, yes I do also refuse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 iamfrustrated

The best screen-recording method is OBS Studio, for those who want to pre-record their lessons. It'll come out as a .m4v if I remember correctly, so you'll have to find a file converter online. That aside, it's free and easy to use. Highly recommended.
    All the best in these difficult times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I’m not sure what you mean by this. On Teams, you can record live classes/meetings by selecting that option when you begin one.

If you wanted to prerecord a lesson there are a whole host of options to you. Microsoft stream is the one which integrates with Teams and your O365 account but it’s not the best for prerecording. On iPad there is explaineverything, the native iOS screen recording function. On a Windows laptop there are plenty of screen recording programs.

As an aside, all recorded videos in Teams Live Classes will be sent to your Microsoft Stream account which can be readily shared to students afterwards.

I like Stream, and I tried a few, uploads quick enough compared to others! Rarely crashes, saves as a series of small files so, at worst, you might lose a couple of seconds and very easy to crop. You can see the number of kids that have viewed and they can ask questions underneath. Way easier for one of my subjects to explain by writing as I explain, layout can be very important so I have a little phone holder suspended above my desk recording my hand, I use a whiteboard or paper depending then.

The other nice thing is I'm going to move my scheme around and teach two topics that I taught during the last lockdown so I have the videos ready to go, labelled 1,2,3 and corresponding to the worksheets. Obviously I'll need to take feedback and maybe make a few quick explaination videos if needed but it should massively cut down on the work this time....... hopefully it'll only be a few weeks

As a matter of interest, what will people be doing for resource classes? I found this really difficult last time. Barely any students logged on when I ran a live class. I reached out to them and not much feedback or responses in any manner. I tried calling etc, but eventually I ended up just posting prerecorded videos on some areas that I thought might help them.

This is one of the problems with remote learning, those who most need it just don’t get it. I suppose we can only do what we can.

As a matter of interest, what will people be doing for resource classes? I found this really difficult last time. Barely any students logged on when I ran a live class. I reached out to them and not much feedback or responses in any manner. I tried calling etc, but eventually I ended up just posting prerecorded videos on some areas that I thought might help them.

This is one of the problems with remote learning, those who most need it just don’t get it. I suppose we can only do what we can.

I had the same experience and I did the same as you, without the pre-recorded classes.

I will just be doing the same this time around. We can definitely only do what we can, although I expect that engagement will be slightly better this time round than it was the last time

I had the same experience and I did the same as you, without the pre-recorded classes.

I will just be doing the same this time around. We can definitely only do what we can, although I expect that engagement will be slightly better this time round than it was the last time

I didn’t do prerecorded for every class just the odd one. Notes and resources otherwise.

Different topic but I also found voice notes on Teams to be very beneficial the last time. Instead of typing everything I’d send out a voice note to the class with a few bullet points of what I wanted them to do also. Voice feedback in private chat too is good.

Not back til the 1st then, anyone else make more sense about the 6th years being different?? Does that mean they might be in but the rest of the school wouldn't be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Not back til the 1st then, anyone else make more sense about the 6th years being different?? Does that mean they might be in but the rest of the school wouldn't be?

That's what it sounded like to me alright.

I've two LC classes so I'll be in the school all day most days then I guess! I've a much better set up for remote learning at home though �� don't necessarily mind really, I really feel for the current 6th years, they've been hit so badly by this

• Advertisement

I've two LC classes so I'll be in the school all day most days then I guess! I've a much better set up for remote learning at home though �� don't necessarily mind really, I really feel for the current 6th years, they've been hit so badly by this

I've no 6th years, so does that mean I won't be in at all? Hardly seems fair to do it that way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement