Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matching pyjamas... When did it become a thing?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

I sleep naked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

CageWager wrote: »
    Its a testament to how whipped most men are nowadays. If you are older than 30, try to imagine the reaction your dad would have had if your mother attempted to have him wear matching Pj’s.

I think he would have worn the pajamas because they’re pajamas and he doesn’t give a f*ck what anyone thinks.

I bought Christmas pjs last year but they didn’t match and could be worn outside of Christmas too because they’re not that festive. I’m not one for buying disposable clothing that only gets worn for a few weeks but Christmas is as good a time as any to replace them.

I wouldn’t personally be hugely active on social media so wouldn’t post photos anyway, but I’m not going to lambast another family for it. Saw lots of pics going by and after the year everyone has had, especially families with small children, whatever it takes to give everyone a laugh. No Santa photos this year so why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    My fiance bought a matching set for me and her....the first question I asked her was 'is this for Instagram?' She said no and I said not a hope I'm wearing any pyjamas and she knows I don't let pictures of me go on Instagram. So I don't know why she bought them I haven't worn them yet.

I've an emergency pair in a drawer in case I ever get hospitalised again. Was caught on the hop when my appendix ruptured and had to wear their open back gown for 3 days.
    Otherwise, they'll sit in that drawer till the moths take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

anewme wrote: »
    Ah yeah, because they are the ones that need your validation and approval.

At least they are having a bit of laugh with their families in what has been a rough year, kids love that type of thing where parents get involved and will remember it long past when one of the people wearing the pajamas are gone.

As for laughing at them and circulating their photos to sneer at, the last laugh is on you.

And of course, it has to be the womans fault ?

Not all men share your views, thankfully.

But if they do not need validation or approval, why are the pictures plastered all over Facebook or Instagram?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

But if they do not need validation or approval, why are the pictures plastered all over Facebook or Instagram?

Because of wives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

The growing infantilisation of a ‘look at me’ culture driven by social media. Saw a few fellas in their matching PJs, the cut of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

. Or like another poster, doing it to wind up the teenagers:D.

Teens are bolshy enough, why would you willingly poke that bear?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

So their friends and family can have a laugh too? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't do family photos online. Some on family WhatsApp app because mum misses kids but otherwise they will put photos of themselves online when they want to. They are not my prop to dress up and show off how adorable they are. Us parents almost managed to create a bragging competition out of it and I'm not sure a pile of online material our kids had no say is for their benefit. So if people want to dress into matching pjs fine but those photos are put on social media because parents want them there and have nothing to do with making Christmas fun for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

meeeeh wrote: »
    So if people want to dress into matching pjs fine but those photos are put on social media because parents want them there and have nothing to do with making Christmas fun for kids.

Even the very limited number of contributions here contain some which directly contradict that. Nobody could know what is in the minds of every parent in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Even the very limited number of contributions here contain some which directly contradict that. Nobody could know what is in the minds of every parent in Ireland.

It doesn't matter what is in people's mind, it's still true that no generation of kids had such a public upbringing and so much of their childhood shared with the world. Without their say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Throw away culture
    Get new ones for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

My oul lad would be seen as old school, he’d never have did anything like that back in his day. But he’s minus craic, there’s not many times I don’t think “thanks be to jesus” as I shut the front door after him.
    I thought that was the start of the first interesting post in the thread. Disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SuchABadBunny

You can say that about so many things in Ireland, unfortunately.

Any bloke caught in matching PJ's should have his man-card revoked.

Man-card. Good grief. What a delicate soul you are, so insecure in yourself you need a man-card to know you're a man. A big manly man. Imagine pajamas having such an impact on your ego, jesus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't do family photos online. Some on family WhatsApp app because mum misses kids but otherwise they will put photos of themselves online when they want to. They are not my prop to dress up and show off how adorable they are. Us parents almost managed to create a bragging competition out of it and I'm not sure a pile of online material our kids had no say is for their benefit. So if people want to dress into matching pjs fine but those photos are put on social media because parents want them there and have nothing to do with making Christmas fun for kids.

We ask the kids now before we put anything up with them actually. And they're just a bit too young for their own fb but we let them interact some on ours. They love seeing the comments they get mostly from their own family and people we know. And they also get a good laugh seeing the craic their cousins, uncles and aunties (grannies too!) do be getting up to. They would video chat to their family over messenger and play games and look at their photos online. Some of them taken when they were very younger they'd be a bit obsessed with and ask to see them all the time. Many family and friends we would know do the same. You take a very negative view on things imo.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    We ask the kids now before we put anything up with them actually. And they're just a bit too young for their own fb but we let them interact some on ours. They love seeing the comments they get mostly from their own family and people we know. And they also get a good laugh seeing the craic their cousins, uncles and aunties (grannies too!) do be getting up to. They would video chat to their family over messenger and play games and look at their photos online. Some of them taken when they were very younger they'd be a bit obsessed with and ask to see them all the time. Many family and friends we would know do the same. You take a very negative view on things imo.
    Yes there are definitely certain issues I have with sharing stuff on social media.

I'm relatively private and I put very little personal stuff online. I grew up in a family that was very well known locally, not celebrity stuff or anything like that but if I met someone new out they would know who I was by my surname. It gets tiring when people know too much about you or your family.

And no I'm not a fan of over-sharing stuff about minors that they can't really consent to. We all communicate with our family and that's normal but most people I know have friends on fb they haven't seen for 30 years and would not keep in touch except to share the photos. An old school mate of mine booked professional photographer to take photos of her bump when she was pregnant. One one was her lying down and her husband and sone peeking over her bump in the background. I haven't spoken to her last 20 years but if I wanted to I could check what her kids are eating for breakfast. And that is the type of stuff I don't need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Its just a bit of fun.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    You're a bit of a freak, aren't ye. Seek help.

I've reported that.

However, you're of the opinion that the attire in the picture is perfectly fine, yeah? Your girlfriend or daughter says she's popping down to the shop, and she's dressed like that, and you'd have no issue with that at all? :confused::rolleyes:

I've reported that.

However, you're of the opinion that the attire in the picture is perfectly fine, yeah? Your girlfriend or daughter says she's popping down to the shop, and she's dressed like that, and you'd have no issue with that at all? :confused::rolleyes:

She is maintaining social distance, as per the markings on the floor. Masks did not become mandatory in shops until 10 August. It's hard to make out but I think the other woman at the counter is not wearing a mask either. Do you know what date the picture was taken?

She may not have any males in her household, who can direct her what to wear in public.

She is maintaining social distance, as per the markings on the floor. Masks did not become mandatory in shops until 10 August. It's hard to make out but I think the other woman at the counter is not wearing a mask either. Do you know what date the picture was taken?

She may not have any males in her household, who can direct her what to wear in public.

Picture was sent to me by a friend, while they were in the shop, so i know when it was taken, and masks were required, but the mask isn't the issue there.

People on this thread are moaning at others for wearing matching pyjamas indoors, in their own houses, with their families. I think the attire of the woman in the photo is disgusting and wholly inappropriate to wear outdoors. Speaks volumes about her. (I also regularly went to that shop, which I've since stopped doing, too - they're as much to blame for serving her). My original point still stands that I'd much prefer to see people posing in photos of matching pyjamas, than wearing dirty ones with open slippers in public.

Whereas what people wear in their own homes, matching or otherwise, is fine by me. I don't think anyone needs males to direct them what to wear though (an attempt at trying to force a sex issue in, I presume?).

But I appreciate this line of conversation is likely to turn into a 'mask' debate, so I'll stop here in an attempt to avoid dragging the thread any further off topic. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you tell your girlfriend, or anyone else in your circle, what to wear to pop down to the shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Teens are bolshy enough, why would you willingly poke that bear?

Ah they are hardly going to maul you to death on Christmas morning for having a laugh with mammy & daddy coming down the stairs in matching pyjamas:pac:.

Although then going & posting it online would definitely be poking the bears

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Picture was sent to me by a friend, while they were in the shop, so i know when it was taken, and masks were required, but the mask isn't the issue there.

People on this thread are moaning at others for wearing matching pyjamas indoors, in their own houses, with their families. I think the attire of the woman in the photo is disgusting and wholly inappropriate to wear outdoors. Speaks volumes about her. (I also regularly went to that shop, which I've since stopped doing, too - they're as much to blame for serving her). My original point still stands that I'd much prefer to see people posing in photos of matching pyjamas, than wearing dirty ones with open slippers in public.

Whereas what people wear in their own homes, matching or otherwise, is fine by me. I don't think anyone needs males to direct them what to wear though (an attempt at trying to force a sex issue in, I presume?).

But I appreciate this line of conversation is likely to turn into a 'mask' debate, so I'll stop here in an attempt to avoid dragging the thread any further off topic. :)

Her attire is disgusting? It's leggings and a t shirt. Why would the shop not serve her.

You must have very little to worry about.

Do you tell your girlfriend, or anyone else in your circle, what to wear to pop down to the shops?

I mix with people who have a bit of respect for themselves and common courtesy for others.

I mix with people who have a bit of respect for themselves and common courtesy for others.

Like the common courtesy of not taking photos of strangers so you can criticize what they are wearing.

Did you friend do that woman the courtesy of telling her he was going to circulate her picture, and it could finish up on the internet?

Did you friend do that woman the courtesy of telling her he was going to circulate her picture, and it could finish up on the internet?

Like the common courtesy of not taking photos of strangers so you can criticize what they are wearing.

Meh - she's in a public place. She obviously doesn't mind being seen like that, or she wouldn't have went out like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Meh - she's in a public place. She obviously doesn't mind being seen like that, or she wouldn't have went out like that.

Like what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

She’s dressed.
    What does it matter after that.

If I paid a bit more attention to those around me in Tesco etc I’d probably spot others dressed like that and I wouldn’t bat an eyelid.

She’s harming no one.

• Advertisement

Being seen and having your photo taken is very different.

It's much weirder of the photo taker rather than the person in leggings.

It's a bit creepy and weird to be honest

Advertisement