Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matching pyjamas... When did it become a thing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not my pic, but yes I do judge that outfit. It's a pair of pyjamas with open-back slippers in the middle of a day, with no mask in a shop in a pandemic.

I absolutely judge it.

The mask is a totally different argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The whipped man nonsense is just sexist bs. Men are just as guilty of wearing novelty bs as women. Go to any sports match or pub and there will be plenty of men in ridiculous hats or wearing t-shirts with 'hilarious' slogans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

meeeeh wrote: »
    The whipped man nonsense is just sexist bs. Men are just as guilty of wearing novelty bs as women. Go to any sports match or pub and there will be plenty of men in ridiculous hats or wearing t-shirts with 'hilarious' slogans.

I also think that the abhorrence of women in pj's in shops has an element of sexism as well.
    A man wearing shorts, tee shirt and flip flops (almost the same as what the woman in the pic was wearing) wouldn't attract any attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭pgj2015

GazzaL wrote: »
    Great post.

Why would any man want a picture of himself and his entire family in their (matching) pyjamas shared online?

A lot of people/idiots see themselves as celebrities now that they are on facebook or instagram. And they want to share every boring thing that happens in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭tscul32

Me and the OH did it this year - mainly to wind up the 15 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

pgj2015 wrote: »
    A lot of people/idiots see themselves as celebrities now that they are on facebook or instagram. And they want to share every boring thing that happens in their lives.

This ^

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

"You can't be a self respecting man if you wear funny clothes with your parter!"

You've got some strange ideas if that's how you judge a man (or anyone tbh). How dare someone have a bit of fun at Christmas and wear novelty clothes with their partner/families :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

anewme wrote: »
    Stop Putting people in boxes like "the men" and 'the women" - people are individuals who can make up their own mind.

Theres a rather weird cohort on Boards with a hatred for women and an extreme persecution complex.

Man wears pajamas and has a laugh with his kids- must be bullied into it by a woman. Wouldn't cross their mind that these "whipped" men dont take themselves too seriously and are just having a laugh with their families.

Lot of so called 'men" here threatened by a man wearing pajamas,

Yes I agree their is a cohort who do hate women to be fair.

Then there's also a cohort of women here too who think every little thing is a criticism of women and all us big bad men want them locked up in the house like the good oul days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Cultural Marxism.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I see friends of mine putting up pictures all coordinated with the kids and the wife in the Christmas pjs, my estimation of them has gone down exponentially, great crack sending the pictures around in the WhatsApp groups tho, I can only imagine it's the women behind all this nonsense but why any self respecting man would wear any pyjamas let alone xmas ones is totally beyond me, any sort of pyjamas on a grown man just leaves me thinking they still yearn to be hanging off mammys tit and have fantasies of getting their adult nappies changed while suckin on a soother

Sending pictures of people's kids around WhatsApp groups?

Are you right in the head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

lawred2 wrote: »
    Sending pictures of people's kids around WhatsApp groups?

Are you right in the head?

They're not naked or anything, they've pyjamas on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Kiith wrote: »
    "You can't be a self respecting man if you wear funny clothes with your parter!"

You've got some strange ideas if that's how you judge a man (or anyone tbh). How dare someone have a bit of fun at Christmas and wear novelty clothes with their partner/families :rolleyes:

Correct.

One person's daft is another person's funny.

It's no different to the lads heading out on the office Xmas night out and all trying to wear a funnier Xmas jumper than the next guy.

I have been in that night out a few times, I'd have bought the cheapest jumper i could find cos I just wanted to do the minimum to take part, but some guys really went overboard and had spent hours modifying jumpers with additional characters getting stitched on and led lights being added.

But cos the lads are doing this it's ok, whereas if a guy wears pjs to match his wains on Christmas eve, he's a tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Too much consumption of American culture.

It's a great indicator of how prosperous the country is now. When this was a thing in America 50 years ago, families in this country were wearing hand me downs, and getting parcels of clothes from relations in America. Now we can afford to waste money on frivolities such as this. Further back in time it was only the monied classes who could indulge themselves, while the ordinary folks lived in penury.

Nobody needs to spend money on anything except the bare necessities. No need for alcohol, 4K TV's, foreign holidays, or Celtic jerseys. It is this over consumption which is a big driver of the economy, keeping hundreds of thousands of people in jobs. And I am all in favour of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'd prefer matching pyjamas at home than having to see things like this in public.

You're a bit of a freak, aren't ye. Seek help.

It's a great indicator of how prosperous the country is now. When this was a thing in America 50 years ago, families in this country were wearing hand me downs, and getting parcels of clothes from relations in America. Now we can afford to waste money on frivolities such as this.

It has very little to do with prosperity. It's consequence of clothing becoming very cheap to make and very disposable. Expensive high end brands don't sell matching pjs.

It has very little to do with prosperity. It's consequence of clothing becoming very cheap to make and very disposable. Expensive high end brands don't sell matching pjs.

There is disposable and disposable. Do you really think everyone throws their Christmas jumpers and other novelty clothing away after only three days??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I also think that the abhorrence of women in pj's in shops has an element of sexism as well.
    A man wearing shorts, tee shirt and flip flops (almost the same as what the woman in the pic was wearing) wouldn't attract any attention.

Dunno, there is something mighty unhygienic in someone showing up in what they've worn through however many nights and days, or bringing the muck from the street into their bedroom on their house slippers. Man or woman. For some reason it's not something men tend to do (some prefer stretched arsed crusty trackie bottoms instead), but it's bad form all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

There is disposable and disposable. Do you really think everyone throws their Christmas jumpers and other novelty clothing away after only three days??

For kids? Yes, they won't fit next year, these things have very limited life span especially if tied to a particular occasion like Christmas. Unless you have younger siblings in line some people will give them away (with their questionable quality they are hardly sought after) some will just dump them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

That's not even close to being true.

strandroad wrote: »
    Dunno, there is something mighty unhygienic in someone showing up in what they've worn through however many nights and days, or bringing the muck from the street into their bedroom on their house slippers. Man or woman. For some reason it's not something men tend to do (some prefer stretched arsed crusty trackie bottoms instead), but it's bad form all the same.

Get on trend. All the expensive high end brands have been marketing day wear pyjamas for years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sboyd/2016/03/11/transforming-sleepwear-into-pajama-chic-daywear/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

An absolute cringefest.

They are not made to last. Even if you keep them for next year they will last less time and won't look as well. Clothing in large extent became disposable, cheaper and we get less wear out of it. We buy a lot more stuff but possibly spend less on it and frankly you can tell when you see how badly stuff fits on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People fcuk their tents away at festivals after a weekend! Affluent throwaway society.

Get on trend. All the expensive high end brands have been marketing day wear pyjamas for years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sboyd/2016/03/11/transforming-sleepwear-into-pajama-chic-daywear/

That's not just high end. You could buy them in Zara too. There is certain look that works with high heels and was fashionable for few years. This year they are trimmed with feathers. You won't see them worn with sleepers or ugg boots.

People fcuk their tents away at festivals after a weekend! Affluent throwaway society.

That's what I said about how prosperous the country is. Festivals are another completely unnecessary expenditure. But they help to keep the money going round in the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,945 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That's what I said about how prosperous the country is. Festivals are another completely unnecessary expenditure. But they help to keep the money going round in the economy.

If people are (allegedly) as exercised about the planet that they claim to be, they'd buy a quality tent and keep it to last for years instead of leaving a wrecked cheapo for someone else to pick up after them. Same goes for clothes.

They can go to as many festivals as they like, that makes no odds.

If people are (allegedly) as exercised about the planet that they claim to be, they'd buy a quality tent and keep it to last for years instead of leaving a wrecked cheapo for someone else to pick up after them. Same goes for clothes.

They can go to as many festivals as they like, that makes no odds.

The best solution would be for local people to go to their nearest festival. Not make journeys to distant festivals in carbon fuel vehicles. The ones who go high end for clothes usually give them to the charity shop after a year and buy something more in season.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Same goons probably use an umbrella when it is raining

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Parentalunit

If they're only worn at Christmas then it's pretty wasteful for a family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I wore stupid elf pjs because it made the wife and children happy...they werent matching and they certainly were not posted on social media....

We had a good laugh and thats all that mattered...

But if you go posting this kind of thing publicly..you deserve ridicule!

Couldn't agree more. I think its cringe when I see those pics posted online.

But I think it's no harm at all doing it, & keeping it private.

It's a really cute thing to do as a family if you have small kids. Or like another poster, doing it to wind up the teenagers:D.

Fair play to you for getting involved anyway & having a bit of fun with it:)

Advertisement