Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matching pyjamas... When did it become a thing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

Wow! Quite the reaction...I didn't realise it was such an emotive topic 😲 very interesting to see peoples take on it. I was interested in hearing views on when and why it became a thing. Mission accomplished! Happy Christmas boardsies! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I saw an ad for one like the Westerns with a flap for the arse, but Xmas patterned with a woman wearing it, well weird. Not exactly a flattering look.

I dunno, if I was buying Xmas pyjamas for the girlfriend I'd be getting her something like that. The flaps are detachable and I can guarantee you she'd never wear it attached :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

anewme wrote: »
    Its the ones here commenting on others being whipped because they are not afraid to show their feelings are pathetic.

Wearing pyjamas = showing feelings?

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Its the ones here commenting on others being whipped because they are not afraid to show their feelings are pathetic.

Projecting their own inadequacies onto others.

The real men dont cry brigade.

No wonder men are afraid to speak out about their mental health.

Thankfully, these fossils, like the dinosaurs are slowly becoming extinct.

If you're crying all the time then you have a mental health issue

Bit of resillience required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

razorblunt wrote: »
    Let people enjoy themselves ffs.

Wearing coordinating PJ's is enjoyment now that ppl feel the need to share with their "friends" . The world has changed so much in in the 30 years since I was a teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Wow! Quite the reaction...I didn't realise it was such an emotive topic �� very interesting to see peoples take on it. I was interested in hearing views on when and why it became a thing. Mission accomplished! Happy Christmas boardsies! :)

Don't rely on what you read here. It does not date from when Penny's started selling them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Wearing pyjamas = showing feelings?

:D:D:D:D

Yeah it's called not taking yourself too seriously and being up for a laugh. You can show laughter and joy by taking part in kids things with them. A lot of Dads would enjoy that.

A lot if families see themselves as a unit and are bonded by friendship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

CageWager wrote: »
    My dad was great fun and played games with us non stop. He just wouldn’t have accepted being treated like a prop by his wife. He also wouldn’t have allowed his children to be broadcast on the internet. There were standards in those days. We have not “moved on for the better”. We have regressed terribly IMHO.

Great post.

Why would any man want a picture of himself and his entire family in their (matching) pyjamas shared online?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Bambi wrote: »
    If you're crying all the time then you have a mental health issue

Bit of resillience required.

No one mentioned crying all the time.

The only people crying all the time are the negative whingers here.

• Advertisement

No one mentioned crying all the time.

The only people crying all the time are the negative whingers here.

f497497970ab79448e4656bf1c66f274.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,974 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

GazzaL wrote: »
    Great post.

Why would any man want a picture of himself and his entire family in their (matching) pyjamas shared online?

Even from a kid point of view it's cringe.

Great post.

No need for him to join in. But he shouldn't stop his wife and her entire family (except him) doing it if they want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

The first time I remember seeing it was on here when somebody shared a video of some American family with their own YouTube channel who had a song about Christmas jammies. A few posters said they were doing it with their families and I saw a couple of pictures elsewhere of families wearing them too. It would have been around 2013 I think. It seems to be widespread the past three years or so. Personally, it's not something I'd be willing to participate in and I don't like the whole trend at all. But some of the negative reactions to it are disturbing tbh, far more abnormal than those actually doing it I think.

The first time I remember seeing it was on here when somebody shared a video of some American family with their own YouTube channel who had a song about Christmas jammies. A few posters said they were doing it with their families and I saw a couple of pictures elsewhere of families wearing them too. It would have been around 2013 I think. It seems to be widespread the past three years or so. Personally, it's not something I'd be willing to participate in and I don't like the whole trend at all. But some of the negative reactions to it are disturbing tbh, far more abnormal than those actually doing it I think.

The original question was not specifically about Christmas pyjamas.

Matching pyjamas... When did it become a thing?

There are vintage pictures going way back on the internet of families in matching pyjamas. Not many of them are Christmas designs.

No need for him to join in. But he shouldn't stop his wife and her entire family (except him) doing it if they want to.

I still don't understand why a guy would be happy with his wife posting pictures of herself and the kids in pyjames online. I wouldn't be the type to go out in public wearing pyjamas either though.

I still don't understand why a guy would be happy with his wife posting pictures of herself and the kids in pyjames online. I wouldn't be the type to go out in public wearing pyjamas either though.

It would be much the same as First Holy Communion pictures being shared. If there was no demand for Communion regalia and matching pyjamas, they wouldn't be in the shops. And people put all sorts of stuff on the internet.

It would be much the same as First Holy Communion pictures being shared. If there was no demand for Communion regalia and matching pyjamas, they wouldn't be in the shops. And people put all sorts of stuff on the internet.

There's a bit of a difference between a photo of someone smartly dressed and a photo of someone dressed for bed.

There's a bit of a difference between a photo of someone smartly dressed and a photo of someone dressed for bed.

As you referred to yourself, some people go out in public in their pyjamas. So seeing it online is not anything exceptional.

As you referred to yourself, some people go out in public in their pyjamas. So seeing it online is not anything exceptional.

I wouldn't consider going out in public wearing pyjamas to be normal, it's "exceptional".

• Advertisement

I wouldn't consider going out in public wearing pyjamas to be normal, it's "exceptional".

If it's the Man of the House it's OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    Wonder how many families done the whole matching PJs and didn't post it on social media?

What would be the point then? It's basically all its for atm, paint a picture of a perfect life you don't actually have, that's the pathetic part of it not the actual pjs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭StevenToast

What would be the point then? It's basically all its for atm, paint a picture of a perfect life you don't actually have, that's the pathetic part of it not the actual pjs

I wore stupid elf pjs because it made the wife and children happy...they werent matching and they certainly were not posted on social media....

We had a good laugh and thats all that mattered...

But if you go posting this kind of thing publicly..you deserve ridicule!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't do matching pjs, Christmas jumpers or other novelty clothing. (I'm a woman). I love the time with the family around Christmas and somehow we manage to enjoy ourselves without wearing something that will end up in landfill three days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭mojesius

The closest we have got to matching clothing is a fleecy jumper thing I bought my husband one winter for around the house. It was too small for him so I kept it and got him a bigger one. He'd murder me if I brought home a family set of matching Christmas pyjamas.

I'd prefer matching pyjamas at home than having to see things like this in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd prefer matching pyjamas at home than having to see things like this in public.

It's a woman in a pair of leggings, a tee shirt and a pair of flip flops.
    It's a bit creepy going around covertly taking people's photos because you disapprove of their attire and then posting them online.
    Do you judge everyone's attire or is it reserved for just particular sections of society?

What next? Someone wearing morning dress in the evening??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is it a new manifestation of the full kit wanker?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

pgj2015 wrote: »
    not at all. There is something very pathetic though about these whipped "men"

Why are they whipped? I'd imagine it's the ones blustering and shouting grr manly things that have something to prove.

• Advertisement

It's a woman in a pair of leggings, a tee shirt and a pair of flip flops.
    It's a bit creepy going around covertly taking people's photos because you disapprove of their attire and then posting them online.
    Do you judge everyone's attire or is it reserved for just particular sections of society?

What next? Someone wearing morning dress in the evening??

Not my pic, but yes I do judge that outfit. It's a pair of pyjamas with open-back slippers in the middle of a day, with no mask in a shop in a pandemic.

I absolutely judge it.

Advertisement