Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matching pyjamas... When did it become a thing?

Options
  • 26-12-2020 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Can't quite pinpoint it but it seems to be everywhere this year. When ..and why... did it become a thing?!

Comments

Too much consumption of American culture.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I blame Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I see friends of mine putting up pictures all coordinated with the kids and the wife in the Christmas pjs, my estimation of them has gone down exponentially, great crack sending the pictures around in the WhatsApp groups tho, I can only imagine it's the women behind all this nonsense but why any self respecting man would wear any pyjamas let alone xmas ones is totally beyond me, any sort of pyjamas on a grown man just leaves me thinking they still yearn to be hanging off mammys tit and have fantasies of getting their adult nappies changed while suckin on a soother

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Let people enjoy themselves ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Can't quite pinpoint it but it seems to be everywhere this year. When ..and why... did it become a thing?!

I think probably a natural follow on from other pj trends. There have been just standard Christmas Eve pjs, then there were toy show pjs, and I think matching pjs came after that? Must be some marketing thing I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Seems to be a insta Hun chav thing

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's been around a while

use-fbbd3ae5-8ac8-4c98-b7e0-10546ddf17dc-large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Its a testament to how whipped most men are nowadays. If you are older than 30, try to imagine the reaction your dad would have had if your mother attempted to have him wear matching Pj’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I see friends of mine putting up pictures all coordinated with the 3 kids and the wife in the Christmas pjs, my estimation of them has gone down exponentially, great crack sending the pictures around in the WhatsApp groups tho

Why did it produce an exponential reaction, rather than just a one off?

When people realised that stupid elf crap wasn’t quite enough wankery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I see friends of mine putting up pictures all coordinated with the 3 kids and the wife in the Christmas pjs, my estimation of them has gone down exponentially, great crack sending the pictures around in the WhatsApp groups tho

Ah yeah, because they are the ones that need your validation and approval.

At least they are having a bit of laugh with their families in what has been a rough year, kids love that type of thing where parents get involved and will remember it long past when one of the people wearing the pajamas are gone.

As for laughing at them and circulating their photos to sneer at, the last laugh is on you.

And of course, it has to be the womans fault ?

Not all men share your views, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I see friends of mine putting up pictures all coordinated with the kids and the wife in the Christmas pjs, my estimation of them has gone down exponentially, great crack sending the pictures around in the WhatsApp groups tho, I can only imagine it's the women behind all this nonsense but why any self respecting man would wear any pyjamas let alone xmas ones is totally beyond me, any sort of pyjamas on a grown man just leaves me thinking they still yearn to be hanging off mammys tit and have fantasies of getting their adult nappies changed while suckin on a soother

This.

A friend of mine who is a heavy machine mechanic and is rarely seen indoors even in the thick of winter popped up on my FB feed in his Xmas PJ’s and not just with his own family but with his mother and father in law, brothers and sisters in law and all their kids. There was 18 of them dressed in elf pyjamas at 6:30 in the evening!!! I can’t imagine how his wife managed to coax him into them but am guessing the withdrawal of services might have been a factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

It became a thing the minute Penneys start producing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I see no great harm in it, and you have to remember nowadays that parents have to have the craic with their kids and live their lives in tandem with them, not like it was back in the day.

My 3 kids have matching pjs this year for the 1st time but OH doesn't have same and I don't wear pjs so guess we are only half weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I guess it’s each to their own with this, but yep, none of the men folk in my family would be caught dead in a Pajamas, even for one night. Personally it’s just more of this perfect life crap that people love to share on Instagram etc. I don’t subscribe to that stuff, I’ve nothing to prove to anyone else.

Why did it produce an exponential reaction, rather than just a one off?

It's a never ending disappointment I'll have in them that I'll never be able to get over, a "one off" wouldn't do justice to the amount of estimation I have for them leaving me every time i think of them agreeing to doing something like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Are they even kept after Christmas, or binned since the kids won't wear the same size next year?
    Just another Penneys plastic sweatshop trend, like reindeer onesies or personalised pjs before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

When did it become a thing that people are bothered about what others do in their own homes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,154 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Question is: does the family go around in matching pyjamas every night when there are no cameras around...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭French Toast

Too much consumption of American culture.

You can say that about so many things in Ireland, unfortunately.

Any bloke caught in matching PJ's should have his man-card revoked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Is it just the sharing thats new? Pyjamas, where worn, were always something for the privacy of your own home so nobody would ever know if yours were matching with your family or not, I blame B1 and B2...

11734099.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    When did it become a thing that people are bothered about what others do in their own homes ?

Around the same time these people started to broadcast their family’s entire life on social media.

It's a never ending disappointment I'll have in them that I'll never be able to get over, a "one off" wouldn't do justice to the amount of estimation I have for them leaving me every time i think of them agreeing to doing something like this

I'm sure they will be heartbroken over your never ending disappointment in them.

I'd say it might take them the time to eat a couple of cadburys Roses on the couch in their matching Stephenses day pajamas to get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What will we have next, matching face coverings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Doesn’t bother me. I bought PJs (not matching) to wear with my daughter when she was a toddler because she asked me to.

My oul lad would be seen as old school, he’d never have did anything like that back in his day. But he’s minus craic, there’s not many times I don’t think “thanks be to jesus” as I shut the front door after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

My fiance bought a matching set for me and her....the first question I asked her was 'is this for Instagram?' She said no and I said not a hope I'm wearing any pyjamas and she knows I don't let pictures of me go on Instagram. So I don't know why she bought them I haven't worn them yet.

screamer wrote: »
    I guess it’s each to their own with this, but yep, none of the men folk in my family would be caught dead in a Panamas.

Only in 200, matching pajamas and Panama hats.

A family of men (and women ) from Delmonte as it were.

anewme wrote: »
    I'm sure they will be heartbroken over your never ending disappointment in them.

I'd say it might take them the time to eat a couple of cadburys Roses on the couch in their matching Stephenses day pajamas to get over it.

So you're saying they would have more than one set of matching Pjs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

CageWager wrote: »
    Its a testament to how whipped most men are nowadays. If you are older than 30, try to imagine the reaction your dad would have had if your mother attempted to have him wear matching Pj’s.

Would we be having this conversation if our fathers were here drinking pints with us? Would you let them hear you talking about this?

I say this to my friends all the time when they start having conversations like women would have.

• Advertisement

So you're saying they would have more than one set of matching Pjs

They could well do.

Might even have a set for the dog.

Keep your eyes out for them in your watts app group so you can spontaneously combust with disappointment.

Advertisement